Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac Donagh Station Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

:)

Hopefully it was just a 'mistake' on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Well, by the sounds of it I won't bother to make the journey to Kilkenny. Great pity as there is nothing better than a decent book as a present. The shop in Clonmel is a fine big store, and Dungarvan brilliant.
    Must make an effort to go to Stonehouse new store. Book shops need patrons, imagine a world without books, though in time no doubt E.books will take over, one good thing it will save the trees. Regards and a Merry Christmas to one and all. Farewell Foxy.

I don't know much about the selection of shops in those towns (is one of them not really far away anyhow!?), but there are already some very good book stores in Kilkenny so I can see the logic in Easons having a modest type store here.

Also, MacDonagh Juncion is pretty much full now, don't think are any large vacant units which is good in itself :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

was out around town yesterday and seen a guy putting up notice for permission, to built a new six screen cinema at mac donagh junction. this would be great to see it built,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

I suppose the council will be looking into that????:DFoxy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

At least one objection will be coming from owners of current cinema, since they applied, and failed, to get planning for a cinema in McDonagh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

dooferoaks wrote: »
    At least one objection will be coming from owners of current cinema, since they applied, and failed, to get planning for a cinema in McDonagh.

That current cinema is appalling, what with the tilted screen and distorted sound that they had when last there aeons ago...objection will be overruled I'm sure..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

dooferoaks wrote: »

Could it be the current cinema re-applying?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

pegasus1 wrote: »
    That current cinema is appalling, what with the tilted screen and distorted sound that they had when last there aeons ago...objection will be overruled I'm sure..

Yeah, not sure the idea was to pick up the old, current system and transport it into Mc Donagh though, think they might have treated themselves to a new screen or two and a new sound system as well.
    Could it be the current cinema re-applying?

Yeah might be Cpt. but was told by someone who works there that management were less than impressed about this application. Not sure its confirmed or not though, a friend of a friend etc. is never the most trustworthy info

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

Whereabouts would new cinema go up there? Is there a unit in similar to the bowling alley up there available?

Would be a good move for both the cinema and the shopping center. Bowling and Eddie Rockets to be the other main beneficiaries - and I guess Dunnes too with pockets full of contraband being smuggled in to avoid the ridiculous cost of food an beverages at a cinema.

Wimbago wrote: »
    Whereabouts would new cinema go up there? Is there a unit in similar to the bowling alley up there available?

Would be a good move for both the cinema and the shopping center. Bowling and Eddie Rockets to be the other main beneficiaries - and I guess Dunnes too with pockets full of contraband being smuggled in to avoid the ridiculous cost of food an beverages at a cinema.

I'd imagine at the front of the site in front of St Johns Church where the small overground car park is; there was a hotel to go right here but with the downturn that would be a bad move. This area looks terrible and out of place with the rest of the development.
    Wasn't/isn't there also a Phase 2 of Macdonagh planned at the back of the centre beside Dunnes. Penneys were meant to be in line for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

There is the undeveloped part between MDJ and Nolan Park, you can see it from the underground carpark. There were meant to be apartments but that's highly unlikely to happen now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Was in Easons two weeks ago. Very poor effort. Feel sorry for Stonehouse. Was a better bookshop. Better atmosphere in the centre now most of its full. I work quite a bit in Athlone and I have to say the Athlone Town Centre is class. Well worth seeing.

Eason's is Eason's wherever you go, but Stonehouse was something else, however for value Khans take some beating.
    If Penney's is supposed to be coming to "The Station", what will happen to Market Cross?
    Kilkenny seems to be at sixes and sevens regarding development, the Mart, what confusion will that cause?
    We have a fair number of empty units in Barrack St, anyone up to accuse the council of lousy planning for the want of better words.
    Seeing as our elected representatives could not build a ring road how come we trust them with the mart when they haven't finished "The Station".
    No doubt we will be hiring expensied consultants, so that is where our household charge is going?
    Good old Phil, the peoples man.

Is the old mart development going ahead?

I understand the new bridge is back on the radar but seriously who'd invest in another shopping precinct when so much retail space is vacant?

Hi Catbear
    Rumour has it TESCO, the first in Kilkenny, they could well drag M&S with them, something to look forward to, give the lads something to think about.
    If Penney's haven't got in to "The Station" wow what an opportunity, and Heaton's we could have a dcecent precinct, boot's wouldn't be far behind, neither would Argos.
    So our High st owner's can look out on a very quiet street with it's two way traffic, we don't want progress, spend all our money on the design centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I'd imagine, the powers that be in Kilkenny are seeing the real threat that Carlow is,especially now that planning has been given for the new development where the current Pennys is now.

I can see Tesco wanting the site but who currently owns it? I believe Tesco buy their sites before building so has ownership changed?

seen this on planning.MacDonagh Junction
    Developments Ltd
    P 29/03/2012 development at this site of 0.35 ha approximately
    situated on the site of the disused rail tracks and
    former station platform (a Protected Structure) on the
    southern edge of the MacDonagh Junction Goods’
    Shed Square. The proposed development is fully
    enclosed by and is now included within the permitted
    MacDonagh Junction Mixed-Use Development lands
    (KBC Ref. Ref 03/032; An Bord Pleanála Ref
    PL62.207285, as amended). (The permitted
    MacDonagh Junction mixed-use development lands
    have been reduced from 4.98 ha approximately due
    to the exclusion of the railway station lands owned by
    CIE. Including the subject site area, the overall
    MacDonagh Junction Development lands now amount
    to 4.48ha approximately). The proposed
    development is a new cinema building within the
    MacDonagh Junction complex located at the former
    railway station platform and will consist of: the
    demolition/removal of certain existing structures
    on-site, including the permitted colonnade wall (Reg.
    Ref. 03/32 as amended by Reg. Ref. 06/58) currently
    forming the boundary separation between Goods’
    Shed Square and the railway, the disused railway
    tracks, the pedestrian underpass; the restoration and
    opening of the Arcaded Wall (a Protected Structure);
    the dismantling of the former railway station platform
    (a Protected Structure), allowing for the restoration,
    re-use and relocation of the platform’s cast iron
    columns and arched beams within Goods’ Shed/

I can see Tesco wanting the site but who currently owns it? I believe Tesco buy their sites before building so has ownership changed?

as for owner of the old mart site, remember reading in kilkenny people before that the banks are after taking over and are to sell it off, for between 5 to 8 million was priced before the crash at 55 million

Well done, so what will happen to the old cinema, omniplex, we could have a town full of old cinema's, we wait and see, in any case it was a pain going up the stairs without something to hold on to, not good for older people. It looks like the town centre has moved to MacDonough?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

How is the Market Cross Shopping Centre doing these days? I remember when it was new - hard to believe it's almost 20 years ago now.:o

Is it holding its own or has the McDonough Junction centre visibly taken trade from it?

• Advertisement

JupiterKid wrote: »
    How is the Market Cross Shopping Centre doing these days? I remember when it was new - hard to believe it's almost 20 years ago now.:o

Is it holding its own or has the McDonough Junction centre visibly taken trade from it?

The Anchor tnants Superquinn, Penneys and Heatons are holding their own and always busy enough but I'd say the smaller units are really struggling and there are a good few empty units, especially upstairs.
    Place could probably do with some revamp but it's fairly well maintained.
    I'd love to see a shop like Dealz coming to Kilkenny soon.

I was in MacDonagh Junc. the other day and I see two shops have gone.i.e Josef (cheap clothes) and Sisley (?).
    Also, the Goods Shed Market seems to have fallen flat on it's ar!e.
    Would love to see something like Dealz go into MacDonagh, would do very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭jomc

i heard sisley were supposed to be moving to a smaller unit in the centre but looks like they're just gone??

was in mac donagh junction this evening and seen a lot of work going on in the old josef store anyone know what might be opening up there.

Don't know but it's 5 now, can't believe it's there that long;
    http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/local/looking-to-the-future-as-macdonagh-marks-five-years-1-4474608

Talk of a possible extension in time. Penneys are rumoured for that I believe though M&S would be good.

ya M&S would be a great pull for the junction ok but probabaly will be pennys eventualy in time,

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kkmick

jomc wrote: »
    i heard sisley were supposed to be moving to a smaller unit in the centre but looks like they're just gone??
    Sisley moved to goods. They are in the basement now with benneton

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

The problem is that if McDonagh Junction is further developed an becomes the shopping centre, it kills off retail activity in town(high street).

The knock on is that the street is then full of vacant shops etc and the vibrancy that people come to Kilkenny for as well as the tourist stuff.

Without the money coming into High Street, Kilkenny loses what people like about the town

Having said that, people like the convenience of a shopping centre, dut there are plenty of kips of regional towns with nice shopping centres on the outskirts/ringroads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

What kills off retail in Kilkenny high st. Is the traffic.....shopping was a lot safer and pleasant when the one way flow system was trialed...then the shopowners complained about that and brought 2way traffic back...

If the high st was pedestrianised the value of shopping will increase, and will work in tandem with the medieval mile when it's complete..
    Which I believe that part of the medieval mile upgrade is that the one way system is done..

Advertisement