Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting iPod touch to college network...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Pet wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the software update version 2.0 [which supports WPA2 Enterprise with 802.1x authentication] will allow the iPod touch to be used in TCD?
    Yes and no.
    Connect to the network: Yes
    Connect to the internet: No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Forgot about this thread actually.

Just an update to say that I can technically get my phone on the college network. Just cant get past the NAC. Means the phone has all the requirements.. Just that I cannot register the mac address of the phone with the server..

I suppose i could change the mac address of my laptop to that of my phone, rereg with NAC, download all the required ****e, pass the tests and then have deh internetz on my phone.. lot of effort now that i have free 3g from meteor tho :pac:
    Yeah, that was my plan - haven't been arsed to try yet tho!

So far with some brief fecking about in LG12 (poor signal) I couldn't get my iPhone 3G to connect to network TCDwifi using WPA Enterprise (1), but I'm sure I'll try a bit harder back in term time!

Also - I seem to remember reading the 2.0 update provided LEAP support, but not sure if PEAP was added? With some wireless clients the two seem interchangable, not sure if that will make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Got it working, was quite easy in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

cianclarke wrote: »
    Got it working, was quite easy in the end.

could you give me the step by step guide to getting a iphone 3g on the network? (An idiot's guide)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

could you give me the step by step guide to getting a iphone 3g on the network? (An idiot's guide)

+1 except for a 1st gen iPhone please.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

In not so many words..
    I suppose i could change the mac address of my laptop to that of my phone, rereg with NAC, download all the required ****e, pass the tests and then have deh internetz on my phone.. lot of effort now that i have free 3g from meteor tho :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

In not so many words..

Thanks but its all greek to me.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Put it this way, if you don't understand it, odds on you won't be able to do it. Don't mean that in a mean way, its just a wee bit complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

For iPhone owners- to find the mac address go to Settings--->General--->About and it's there beside 'wifi address'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

How hard is it to change my laptop's mac address so?

• Advertisement

How hard is it to change my laptop's mac address so?
    What did google say about it?

What did google say about it?

There are programs that can be used to spoof an address but to physically change it is hard. The address is coded into the newwork device on the computer. If you changed it to another one, there is a chance of conflict with a valid address on some other device. Should you get a major hub device, you will be getting a service disconnect as soon as they trace it. Depending on what you are doing when detected, you may get visited by people driving plain looking cars, wearing nice suits with bulges under the coats.

There are programs that can be used to spoof an address but to physically change it is hard. The address is coded into the newwork device on the computer. If you changed it to another one, there is a chance of conflict with a valid address on some other device. Should you get a major hub device, you will be getting a service disconnect as soon as they trace it. Depending on what you are doing when detected, you may get visited by people driving plain looking cars, wearing nice suits with bulges under the coats.
    First result in google...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Of course things will go very very wrong if the same MAC address appears twice on the network. Packets will stop being delivered etc, and ISS will probably know all about it.
    My solution: as a CS student, I can connect to the network COMPSCIwireless2 with my CS credentials, WPA Enterprise, and everything works well.
    Save for the fact that the signal is muck.

First result in google...

Cheers for that, I don't get your need to be patronising, I am sure you sometimes need answers on stuff you are not too competent on also.

So, I just have to change my laptop address to the mac address of my laptop,
    go to college, register my laptop for the college network, and then my ipod will work in college, is that right?

snappieT wrote: »
    Of course things will go very very wrong if the same MAC address appears twice on the network. Packets will stop being delivered etc, and ISS will probably know all about it.
    It shouldn't appear twice. You are only spoofing to register with the nac. Changing the laptop back to its original once you are registered.
    Cheers for that, I don't get your need to be patronising, I am sure you sometimes need answers on stuff you are not too competent on also.
    Apologies, didn't mean to be patronising.
    So, I just have to change my laptop address to the mac address of my laptop [i assume you mean ipod?],
    go to college, register my laptop for the college network, and then my ipod will work in college, is that right?
    Essentially yes. Important part is to change your laptop's mac back to its original state after.

May i just point out that I have not done this yet, I am just giving advice based on theory. (altho i might give it a lash tomorrow cause ive a lot of time off before the beers :))

It shouldn't appear twice. You are only spoofing to register with the nac. Changing the laptop back to its original once you are registered.
    But you can only register one MAC address per user account against the NAC. So if you want to use your laptop also, you either need to:
    (a) Disable your iPhone WiFi before you open your laptop (laptop sharing the MAC of the iPhone)
    (b) Somehow find a way to have ISS let you register your laptop's native address also.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I sure hope I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

But you can only register one MAC address per user account against the NAC.

Really? Even if you actually have two laptops that you want to use on the network?

But you can only register one MAC address per user account against the NAC.

They allow you have more than one laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Thought so, I'm pretty sure they don't even tie the MAC address to your login, they just add it to a list.

Bought a second-hand iBook that had previously been on the network and I'm pretty sure I didn't have to go through any of the submitting your MAC address steps to get WiFi working on it.

• Advertisement

The whole NAC system is pretty weak to be honest.

The NAC server and software cost $9,300 according to a price I found on the net from one company reselling that model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Thought so, I'm pretty sure they don't even tie the MAC address to your login, they just add it to a list.

Bought a second-hand iBook that had previously been on the network and I'm pretty sure I didn't have to go through any of the submitting your MAC address steps to get WiFi working on it.
    It is just added to a list. I've let other people connect to the wireless network using my laptop but their username and password

Consider me corrected. Can you just NAC both laptops, or do you have to call into ISS?

(As an aside, I never said the MAC was attached to the WPA user account, but I expected the NAC to, during registration where it asks for your college username & password, only allow one MAC)

Consider me corrected. Can you just NAC both laptops, or do you have to call into ISS?

(As an aside, I never said the MAC was attached to the WPA user account, but I expected the NAC to, during registration where it asks for your college username & password, only allow one MAC)
    Just nac both laptops.

I had asked before in iss and they said yea grand. Fire ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭barnesd

Would the long and the short of this topic be: no I can't get my iPod touch online in Trinity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

pretty much ye..
    Smart phones will work.. No success with ipods tho..
    :)

barnesd wrote: »
    Would the long and the short of this topic be: no I can't get my iPod touch online in Trinity?
    Yes.

You can get other things on the network such as nokia phones etc, but the ipod is troublesome the NAC treats it as mac.

I think you can get it on the CompSci network relativity easy, but i dont have access to that until next year so i dunno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭barnesd

Aww. That's a bit disappointing.

I checked up on this. Each undergrad student is permitted 6 MAC addresses to be registered in their name at any given time.

• Advertisement

I checked up on this. Each undergrad student is permitted 6 MAC addresses to be registered in their name at any given time.
    Out if interest, how you find that out? Walk in and ask?

Advertisement