Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting iPod touch to college network...

Options
  • 10-11-2007 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Got me one of them fancy ipod touches... but wanna know how to connect it to the college network. Anyone have any idea? I'll probably have to drop into ISS services.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

They almost certainly won't let you. I've never heard of them letting things like that connect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

My friend was able to connect with his DS...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

That's good to hear; a step in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭glenroe2006

Just got one myself, I'm in DCU and I went to Computer Services and they set it up. The guy had never even used one before but after fiddling around for five minutes it was up and running. I don't see why they wouldn't allow it, the web browser works exactly like that of a laptop etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

DCU is a MUCH more open network than trinity.

Trinity is highly closed, based around mac address authentication and certain wireless protocols. can be iffy. For instance my nokia 770 wouldnt have been able to connect on the old wireless due to WEP/PEAP issues - and ISS are rarely happy to let non specific items (things that arent laptops or desktop machines) onto the network.

A lot of the time getting it on requires a lot of fiddling and messing about. it is doable, in some cases, but a lot of messing about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Stoned Hippy

To back up what Crash said it is possible and they do do it for certain people.

I asked them about connecting my Windows Mobile 5 phone to the network as it has all the necessary security protcols on it (I think!) but they said they wouldn't do it. He said the problem was something to do with registering it with the wired network first before the wireless or something.

Apparently if you're someone special they'll do it for you but not an ordinary student like me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Why is TCD so closed? For higher security reasons? Why - do we get attacked more than UCDD or DCU? (I remember wandering around UCDD once with my laptop and could connect to their free wi-fi network without any problems.) DIT has free wifi too..

What makes Trinity special?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Location?
    I remember ISS didnt want to let my Laptop on the network before Cause it had a USB Wireless Adapter many moons ago

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭thecheese

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    My friend was able to connect with his DS...

Did they go through IS Services route?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I'd be very interested as to how he managed that as TCDWifi is WPA now, and the DS doesn't support WPA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭pkeno

Go to ISS and see what they say. Last year I went in with my N80 and they spent a good bit of time with me trying to connect. It didn't work in the end but they gave it a real bash, and i'm just an ordinary joe soap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

çrash_000 wrote: »
    I'd be very interested as to how he managed that as TCDWifi is WPA now, and the DS doesn't support WPA.

Yeah, turns out it wasn't the TCD network he connected to, but some other Network accessible from the college(Think it was BT internet, which you're supposed to have to pay to use, but it seems the DS bypassed this somehow..)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

I believe you used to be able to get on with a palm thingy by getting your laptop mac address registered and then using it from your handheld item, this obviously both took a bit of doing and was not endorsed by college, also I think they have changed how the whole thing works now so... not sure if that is any help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Right, seems the i phone and the i touch don't support peap - which TCDwifi needs, so that seems to rule it out. Damn, I was going to buy one if it'd work. Might still!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

you can connect what you like to the network once it supports WPA Enterprise, peap etc..
    ISS wont support it tho.. as in they wont help you or provid advice etc... basicly you have to do it yourself!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Motorbreath

Sounds like an interesting challenge :D

All iPhone / iTouch users, if you want to see your device on the college network any time soon send them a feature request:
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

It seems to be a software issue, the hardware supports it. Just tell them you wish your i phone / i touch supported peap so you could get onto your uni's network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Black_Couch

Has anybody connected to the TCD network yet with an ipod touch?

I'm getting the following wireless networks (none are password protected):

BTOpenzone
    homenetwork
    hpsetup
    tcdopencampus

I've tried connecting to them all but when I open up safari and refresh the page, it says can't open the page because it can't find the server.

Anybody got any ideas?

Read the thread.. Like I said, the iPhone and iTouch can't connect to TCDWifi because they don't yet support PEAP authentication. It's reckoned that apple will eventually release a firmware update which supports PEAP auth, but they haven't done so yet.
    Another theory is when the SDK is released for the iPhone/iTouch a third party devloper might be able to do something.
    Until then, you're out of luck.
    BTOpenzone costs money.
    homenetwork is probably some ejit who tried to setup their wireless on a laptop but instead made an adhoc, the same with tcdopencampus.
    hpsetup is possibly a wireless printer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 darth darragh

hey i have an iphone adn im a student in Letterkenny and i cant seem to get it working on the college network, i need a 801.4x or somthing like that, as that is what i used for my macbook, could anyone help me, im desperate to get it working, thanks alot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭Varik

does any one know if psp works in tcd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Varik wrote: »

Officially, no. Unofficially, I'd doubt it, ISS won't support it.

Varik wrote: »
    Nope, no PEAP support again.

And guy from letterkenny, no idea what 801.4x is... Need to know what security the network has.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Right just got a Nokia E51. It has wifi and it has all the required PEAPv0 protocol (Are there other required ones?).

Should I be able to connect in theory to TCDwifi? I know there will be MAC issues and such but should I at least be able to reach the self-service NAC screen?

And also, are you permitted to have two MAC addresses authorised to the same user name?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

To set up any device on TCDwifi you will need to use an ethernet cable first to set up the wired connection. Only once you've set up that much can you actually get the wireless working. So you'd need some kind of ethernet post on your device.

I heard stories ages ago of people getting around this by signing up as a "linux user" (who according to ISS are the only ones with enough technical expertise to set up their own wireless) and sending them the MAC address of their "other" device instead in order to have it added to the list of "valid users". I think it then involved "faking" the MAC address on a laptop to get it on the system "as the other device".
    Dunno know if this service is still available with the new SNAC (sp?) system, but even if it is, whatever device will still need PEAP (that means no iPhones, iTouches, PSPs etc).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

To set up any device on TCDwifi you will need to use an ethernet cable first to set up the wired connection. Only once you've set up that much can you actually get the wireless working. So you'd need some kind of ethernet post on your device.
    Are you sure about this? :(

I'm nearly sure I connected my laptop to the wireless first.

Anyways ethernet cards and wireless cards on the same computer are going to have different MAC addresses so how are ISS gonna know which belongs to which?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Are you sure about this? :(

I'm nearly sure I connected my laptop to the wireless first.
    So I was led to believe. Been a while since I set up anything on the network so could be way off at this stage.
    Anyways ethernet cards and wireless cards on the same computer are going to have different MAC addresses so how are ISS gonna know which belongs to which?
    Good point. Unless it registers the wireless one through the wired connection or something.

Trinity has always had a very finnicky network tbh. I can never get it working right all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Good point. Unless it registers the wireless one through the wired connection or something.

Iirc you register both at some point, can't remember when in the process the wireless one is registered, but I definitely remember them both being asked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Does anyone know if the software update version 2.0 [which supports WPA2 Enterprise with 802.1x authentication] will allow the iPod touch to be used in TCD?

• Advertisement

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Right just got a Nokia E51. It has wifi and it has all the required PEAPv0 protocol (Are there other required ones?).

Should I be able to connect in theory to TCDwifi? I know there will be MAC issues and such but should I at least be able to reach the self-service NAC screen?

And also, are you permitted to have two MAC addresses authorised to the same user name?

Forgot about this thread actually.

Just an update to say that I can technically get my phone on the college network. Just cant get past the NAC. Means the phone has all the requirements.. Just that I cannot register the mac address of the phone with the server..

I suppose i could change the mac address of my laptop to that of my phone, rereg with NAC, download all the required ****e, pass the tests and then have deh internetz on my phone.. lot of effort now that i have free 3g from meteor tho :pac:

Advertisement