Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting iPod touch to college network...

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 basstoelpel77

snappieT wrote: »
    No laptop required it seems. Just add a wireless network "TCDwifi" with security "WPA Enterprise" on your iPhone/iTouch. You'll have to type your college username and password.

Once the network has been added, hit the blue arrow next to it in Wifi networks, scroll to the bottom, and setup the proxy. Address is proxyA.tcd.ie, port 8080, and type your college username and password again.

Actually jmccrohan figured out that in the proxy settings you turn auth on but leave the username and password blank

That doesn't work for me. For some reason, I can view the college site but no external sites. When I go back to the Settings I'm connected to wifi-first-steps all of a sudden. Does anybody have an idea what's going on?
    Should I go with the MAC-spoofing method instead?

Cheers,
    Max

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Jimdw

That doesn't work for me. For some reason, I can view the college site but no external sites. When I go back to the Settings I'm connected to wifi-first-steps all of a sudden. Does anybody have an idea what's going on?

Cheers,
    Max

I've done the same thing and the settings do work for me. But as you I can only connect to TCD website pages only. External pages do not work either. It does disconnect from TCDwifi, but my iphone does connect to TCDwifi automatically if i shift wifi on and off button.

I'll look into Mac spoof thing to see if that works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 basstoelpel77

Cool, thanks for the quick reply!

The wifi-first-steps thing only occurs when I use proxyA.tcd.ie, with tcdproxy.tcd.ie I just get an error message when trying to access websites outside of tcd. Email, vpn and basically everything else doesn't work either.

Pretty useless. :(

In a previous post it was recommended to use a non-NACed laptop for the spoofing. Why is that? I only have a previously NACed MacBook available.

If I create a new Network Location before I log on my old settings will be saved and everything should be dandy, shouldn't it?

Forgive my naivity, but I'm not really a network security expert or something.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Cheers,
    Max
    The reason that ipods were able to get on to the network so easily, was down to a security vulnerability that IS Services overlooked for many months.

This has since been fixed.
    Jimdw wrote: »
    I've done the same thing and the settings do work for me. But as you I can only connect to TCD website pages only. External pages do not work either. It does disconnect from TCDwifi, but my iphone does connect to TCDwifi automatically if i shift wifi on and off button.

I wouldn't recommend MAC spoofing unless you know exactly what it involves, and what you are doing.

Having access to internal sites is nothing new. You could always access internal sites from tcdwifi-first-steps, or tcdwifi prior to proxy authentication.
    Cool, thanks for the quick reply!

The wifi-first-steps thing only occurs when I use proxyA.tcd.ie, with tcdproxy.tcd.ie I just get an error message when trying to access websites outside of tcd. Email, vpn and basically everything else doesn't work either.

Pretty useless. :(
    It is very restricted, but if you know how, you can still get around it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Jimdw

Jimdw wrote: »

Alright guys a quick update. I successfully connected my iPhone 3G to Trinity network. I can open Google.ie and all that.
    What you do is:
    1. Follow these instructions
    "No laptop required it seems. Just add a wireless network "TCDwifi" with security "WPA Enterprise" on your iPhone/iTouch. You'll have to type your college username and password.

Once the network has been added, hit the blue arrow next to it in Wifi networks, scroll to the bottom, in "HTTP Proxy" hit "Manual" (button in the middle) to setup the proxy. Server is proxyA.tcd.ie, port 8080, toggle "Authentication" ON, and type your college username and password."

Scroll to the top again and you will see "IP Address" starting 10.1.... "1" after 10 means you can only open tcd.ie web pages.
    After you spoof MAC address, that IP Address should change to 10.6... "6" after 10 means you can open web pages from any website.

2. Now spoof MAC address. Or spoof the MAC address on you iphone with one you have on your laptop (one problem with this is that each time your iphone is connected to Trinity internet, your laptop would disconnect from TCD internet, so it's better to spoof a new MAC address, but both will work.
    1. Find out MAC address of iPhone
    2. Spoof that MAC address on a laptop
    3. Connect to college network with that laptop
    4. Run NAC and download antivirus muck, etc
    5. Set laptop back to original MAC
    6. Connect with iPhone, WPA Enterprise, and don't forget the proxy settings.

If you need any more insight into the above that you can't figure out from Google, you really shouldn't be doing this. I should also note that I did this with my already-NACed laptop and it made a mess of things - try and use another laptop altogether to eliminate that.

Another way to not get a mess with your laptop internet settings while spoofing MAC address is to install another operating system on external hard drive and boot from there. And do the spoofing on that OS. I know it's a long way but it works. If you are like me having a Mac, you can boot Tiger or Leopard even on USB hard drive, Firewire is nice but it will do on USB hard drive no less. Most of us have USB HDDs, so here are the instructions how to install Leopard on External USB Hard Drive: http://www.maciverse.com/install-boot-os-x-leopard-from-a-usb-flash-drive.html

Safari on iphone/itouch will work but of course mail application and many other such as YouTube will not because of the freaking blocking ports-same on laptop really.

It's not a big deal connecting iphone to TCD wifi, it's just the bloody security that TCD installed in their internet system, really baffling me-can't even check me freaking email through Mail.app!
    I've been to ISS services and they said that they are working on iPhones/iTouches to connect to Trinity internet because there are so many of them. And the guy there also said if you know how to do it, or know someone who knows how to do it - then do it. They already figured a way to connect Blackbery to TCDwifi.
    hope that helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭somakasvh

There's a trial running in tcd at the moment that uses a background app to connect to the tcd wifi network.
    All the info is here: http://metakall.dsg.cs.tcd.ie
    You'll just need a tcd email address to sign up.

At the moment, only the Windows client is released, but a client for Symbian phones should be released this week.
    Linux and Mac clients will be released soon once they're cleaned up.
    The iPhone / iPod Touch client is under development - but is hindered by the lack of background applications on the platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I signed up for that, but never got around to trying it. A symbian app would definitely encourage me to give it a bash.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭somakasvh

The client for symbian phones is now available on the user trial website as I posted above.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

somakasvh wrote: »
    There's a trial running in tcd at the moment that uses a background app to connect to the tcd wifi network.
    All the info is here: http://metakall.dsg.cs.tcd.ie
    You'll just need a tcd email address to sign up.

At the moment, only the Windows client is released, but a client for Symbian phones should be released this week.
    Linux and Mac clients will be released soon once they're cleaned up.
    The iPhone / iPod Touch client is under development - but is hindered by the lack of background applications on the platform.

*cough*see this thread*cough*
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppy08

sorry to resurrect an old thread but got an itouch and I can't seem to connect to wifi?

theres what i've done so far:
    joined TCDwifi
    HTTP Proxy switched to manual
    server: proxyAtcd.ie, Port: 8080
    Authentication: on and typed in my username and password.
    Opened safari: Access Denied
    Help?:confused:

i tried to follow the thread but i think i might have taken a wrong turn somewhere round spoofing an MAC address? what do you do with the Mac spoofed address?

(I'm sure its painfully obvious but err not in CS so bare with me!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I think they have patched up the proxy loophole that lets you in that way...

Advertisement