Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting iPod touch to college network...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Out if interest, how you find that out? Walk in and ask?
    My MacBook spazzed (probably due to registering it twice - really should use 2 seperate machines if you're hacking your iPhone on), and I had to go into the networking clinic. The guy there was pretty sound and we actually got to talking. Asked him (under the context that I'd need a seperate machine in college for testing of my final year project), and he told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

anybody get the iphone 3g wifi working on the system yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

its the exact same basis as the iPod touch.. so most likely not.. although I dont have one to try...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

mathew wrote: »
    its the exact same basis as the iPod touch.. so most likely not.. although I dont have one to try...
    Oh did i not tell you?
    I got alans working yesterday.

To everyone else: it is possible to get iPod touch/ iPhones on the college network.

And also run a certain linux distribution protocol on the college network ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭uprooted shane

got mine on today fine, as normal, no mac address spoof or anything.
    only thing, portal log on wouldnt let me browse!

• Advertisement

by anychance can you give a quick guide on how to do it?

Noticed that myself, proxy is quite open. Used not be, I'd say it's a mistake and won't last long.
    got mine on today fine, as normal, no mac address spoof or anything.
    only thing, portal log on wouldnt let me browse!
    Did you add the proxy address to the wireless network after you connected? Hit the blue arrow on the right hand side of the network name in Wifi preferences.
    fungie wrote: »
    by anychance can you give a quick guide on how to do it?
    1. Find out MAC address of iPhone
    2. Spoof that MAC address on a laptop
    3. Connect to college network with that laptop
    4. Run NAC and download antivirus muck, etc
    5. Set laptop back to original MAC
    6. Connect with iPhone, WPA Enterprise, and don't forget the proxy settings.

If you need any more insight into the above that you can't figure out from Google, you really shouldn't be doing this. I should also note that I did this with my already-NACed laptop and it made a mess of things - try and use another laptop altogether to eliminate that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

snappieT wrote: »
    Noticed that myself, proxy is quite open. Used not be, I'd say it's a mistake and won't last long.
    Very handy, indeed. Not for the purposes I mentioned, but for the lack of a password when browsing.

1. Find out MAC address of iPhone
    2. Spoof that MAC address on a laptop
    3. Connect to college network with that laptop
    4. Run NAC and download antivirus muck, etc
    5. Set laptop back to original MAC
    6. Connect with iPhone, WPA Enterprise, and don't forget the proxy settings.
    Not even required. Only requirement now is that the device supports 802.11x.

Oh did i not tell you?
    I got alans working yesterday.

To everyone else: it is possible to get iPod touch/ iPhones on the college network.

Oh cool... that makes things very handy...
    What inspired you to try agian??

Did you add the proxy address to the wireless network after you connected? Hit the blue arrow on the right hand side of the network name in Wifi preferences.

yep i did! changed the port too to 8080. tbh not really sure what that means but i was told to do it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

yep i did! changed the port too to 8080. tbh not really sure what that means but i was told to do it :)

is that the port on the itouch?

are ye saying it should just connect now or do I still have to bring laptop in and do all the steps?

na just connect normally, no messing with laptops, only thing ya have to do is, change the proxy to "proxyA.tcd.ie" and the port to 8080.

if i am wrong though, some one correct me, i think thats it though!

is that the port on the itouch?

are ye saying it should just connect now or do I still have to bring laptop in and do all the steps?
    No laptop required it seems. Just add a wireless network "TCDwifi" with security "WPA Enterprise" on your iPhone/iTouch. You'll have to type your college username and password.

Once the network has been added, hit the blue arrow next to it in Wifi networks, scroll to the bottom, and setup the proxy. Address is proxyA.tcd.ie, port 8080, and type your college username and password again.

, and type your college username and password again.

Actually jmccrohan figured out that in the proxy settings you turn auth on but leave the username and password blank

, and type your college username and password again.

Actually jmccrohan figured out that in the proxy settings you turn auth on but leave the username and password blank. I'm posting this through my touch at the minute!

double post rage.. Seems that ipod isnt working too well! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Couldn't get an iPhone 3G to connect to the TCD wireless in Oldham house out in halls, haven't tried it on campus [not my iPhone].

Successful on campus. Wicked.

Baza210 wrote: »
    Successful on campus. Wicked.
    Since when do you have an iTouch?

presumably hes refering to the iphone in the post above

• Advertisement

mathew wrote: »
    presumably hes refering to the iphone in the post above

iPhone, iTouch.. All the same really..

I since reread the message and saw that it wasn't his..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I've tried all the instructions in the above posts and I can't get it to connect most of the time (it joins the network and then when you press the home button it's gone again no matter how good the signal is) or it simply won't load any pages when connected.
    There is no option for "WPA enterprise" like some said, only wpa and wpa2. I've entered in the proxy and port number and tried auth on(entered username and password) or off. It makes no difference. Where am I going wrong?
    iPhone first version here btw, if that makes a difference.

Upgrade your firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

rc28 wrote: »
    iPhone first version here btw, if that makes a difference.

It may well make a difference, afaik* only the more recent firmware versions support WPA enterprise, so a fw upgrade may be necessary.

*What I don't know about ipods/iphones could fill wikipedia many times over, definitely not my forté. Take none of the above post as expert advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Baza210 wrote: »
    Upgrade your firmware.

Mmm, but I'm still on an unlocked fw 1.1.4 with old baseband so upgrading to 2.2 is probably easier said than done tbh. Thanks anyway.

rc28 wrote: »
    and tried auth on(entered username and password)

have auth on, but dont put in your username or that, just leave it blank!

have auth on, but dont put in your username or that, just leave it blank!
    Doesn't make any difference. He wont on to the actual network in the first place if it doesn't support 802.11x

tried to connect my iphone today, by using the above instructions i got passed the screening process bit but then the nac asked me for my user name and password but when i entered it, it wouldnt accept it. This happen to anybody else?

Doesn't make any difference. He wont on to the actual network in the first place if it doesn't support 802.11x

yea but if he had the most recent update it should shouldnt it? considering my ipod, and bazza'a mates iphone work....

then again, you set up mine for me :L
    fungie wrote: »
    tried to connect my iphone today, by using the above instructions i got passed the screening process bit but then the nac asked me for my user name and password but when i entered it, it wouldnt accept it. This happen to anybody else?

yea, it happened to me initially, but the leaving the auth on the proxy blank solved it for me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭paperclip

I'm trying to set up my new birthday present (ipod Touch) to connect to the TCD wifi. So far I've put in the proxy and the port and I got through to something called 'Campus Manager' from Bradford Networks, but that's not accepting my tcd username/password. Advice, please?

I tried leaving the auth. on but blank... so that's not the problem...hmm..what could it be?

Advertisement