Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Accompanied driving rules & penalties for noncompliance

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

As well as an accompaning driver. Learners will soon be needing a Supervising Driver for 36 hours of recorded driving.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

ADIDriving wrote: »
    As well as an accompaning driver. Learners will soon be needing a Supervising Driver for 36 hours of recorded driving.

What? I think you're confused slightly. They need to be accompanied, by an accompanied driver, for x hours. What exactly is a supervising driver?

What? I think you're confused slightly. They need to be accompanied, by an accompanied driver, for x hours. What exactly is a supervising driver?

Not confused. For any driving the learner does they are to be accompanied by any person who has held a full licence for two years. But they will soon be required to designate certain friends or family members who will be their ' supervising drivers '. These people will sign off on 36hours of driving in specific conditions which will be recorded in a log book.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭desdman

I don't get why you are required to have someone who has had a full licence for at least two years with you at all times?. What difference could a accompanied driver make to your driving skills?,the accompanied driver might be a bad driver themselves, so whats the point of having one?confused.gif,You should learn from your own mistakes.I am just saying,i don't see the point of having a accompanied driver despite the rules

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

desdman wrote: »
    I don't get why you are required to have someone who has had a full licence for at least two years with you at all times?. What difference could a accompanied driver make to your driving skills?,the accompanied driver might be a bad driver themselves, so whats the point of having one?confused.gif,You should learn from your own mistakes.I am just saying,i don't see the point of having a accompanied driver despite the rules

Learning from your own mistakes is all fair and well when you're learning how to roller blade or something, but when your driving a 1 tonne + pile of metal things change. Your accompanying driver is there to offer you advice if you get into trouble and advise you of the best course of action. Your accompanying driver has at very least proved themselves capable of passing the driving test, which, as you said, doesn't mean they are a "good" driver, but it should mean they are able to give you advice on most situations that you'd encounter.

Also, to learn from your mistakes, you need to know when you've made a mistake, which may not be immediately obvious, but to a third party it would be more likey that they would be aware of it.

Is it a perfect system? Of course not; there will always be people who couldn't care less about how you drive when they accompany you, but in general it works as a system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Learning from your own mistakes is all fair and well when you're learning how to roller blade or something, but when your driving a 1 tonne + pile of metal things change. Your accompanying driver is there to offer you advice if you get into trouble and advise you of the best course of action.
    I've mentioned before here that on two occasions while learning, I started to change lanes after checking the mirror but not over my shoulder and would definitely have crashed into another car if my mother had not been there to shout "WAIT!".

Granted, I might be am a complete idiot but all of us make mistakes, particularly in the early stages of learning to drive. So make the best of the situation and push your accompanying driver to give you as much constructive feedback as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭desdman

Learning from your own mistakes is all fair and well when you're learning how to roller blade or something, but when your driving a 1 tonne + pile of metal things change. Your accompanying driver is there to offer you advice if you get into trouble and advise you of the best course of action. Your accompanying driver has at very least proved themselves capable of passing the driving test, which, as you said, doesn't mean they are a "good" driver, but it should mean they are able to give you advice on most situations that you'd encounter.

But thats the whole point of driving lessons,is to guide you on what to do in a particular situation,so you should be able to judge for yourself on what do.I see the majority of learner drivers are not accompanied by anyone when driving and sometimes i see a member of the gardai driving behind a learner driver and they don't bother stopping them.

But thats the whole point of driving lessons,is to guide you on what to do in a particular situation,so you should be able to judge for yourself on what do.
    And you won't be perfectly able to do that after one or two or any number of driving lessons. When you've passed your test, then you've proven yourself reasonably safe to be on the roads without external guidance. That's by no means the end of the learning process - only the next stage, and it continues forever.
    I see the majority of learner drivers are not accompanied by anyone when driving and sometimes i see a member of the gardai driving behind a learner driver and they don't bother stopping them.
    Yes? I see lots of people talking on mobile phones while driving and turning left without checking their mirrors, should we do the same?

Driving with the qualified driver is like serving an apprenticeship. Which is a very common way of getting ' on the job ' training. Yes, your mentor could be great or they could be rubbish. But they still know more then the learner. You do basicly learn what is right and wrong from you instructor. But the licenced driver will help you through hundreds of tricky situations. There are various ways of ' learning to drive '. But before anyone chirps in with " When I started driving.....", lesson combined with lots of accompanied practice IS the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Phichno

Hi,

I hope someone can help me. My 3rd provisional licence is out of date for 3 months now and i have a cert of failure and everything so i wanted to know can you just post your applications in or do you have to go to the motor tax office? I went to Q4U in swords and because i have a Meath address they wouldnt do it for me and said i had to go to Navan (hassle). Hopefully someone can help me??;):p

Thanks x

• Advertisement

Phichno wrote: »
    Hi,

I hope someone can help me. My 3rd provisional licence is out of date for 3 months now and i have a cert of failure and everything so i wanted to know can you just post your applications in or do you have to go to the motor tax office? I went to Q4U in swords and because i have a Meath address they wouldnt do it for me and said i had to go to Navan (hassle). Hopefully someone can help me??;):p

Thanks x

You need to renew your provisional licence / learner permit. This can be done by post. You should be able to get the form your tax office, library or in your local garda stn. If you are looking to apply for your test, this can also be done by post or online. You will need some details off your learner permit, so take note of those before you send off for the test.
    Boards.ie 1
    Q4U 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Phichno

ADIDriving wrote: »
    You need to renew your provisional licence / learner permit. This can be done by post. You should be able to get the form online or in your local garda stn. If you are looking to apply for your test, this can also be done by post or online. You will need some details off your learner permit, so take note of those before you send off for the test.
    Boards.ie 1
    Q4U 0

Thanks for your help i have the new form done out and my photos and cert of failure so where do i need to post it to? Sorry that sounds like a stupid question...haha

Phichno wrote: »
    Thanks for your help i have the new form done out and my photos and cert of failure so where do i need to post it to? Sorry that sounds like a stupid question...haha
    It can be posted to your local tax office.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

i've gone from "knowledgable full licenced driver" helping my bf to learn to drive to the nagging girlfriend that he's driving too fast and ignoring signs. we all go through the cocky stage, you just need someone around to tell you you're driving like an idiot. thankfully we have a good relationship and i actually trust him (now) to drive by himself but that is after 3.5 months of constant driving with me and he only drives on roads he knows. anything further and i would go with him. it is my car afterall...

cant wait till he passes his test but just passing a test doesn't mean you're the best driver in the world. i still get little shocks after driving for 10 years...some people are just so unpredictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

i've gone from "knowledgable full licenced driver" helping my bf to learn to drive to the nagging girlfriend that he's driving too fast and ignoring signs. we all go through the cocky stage, you just need someone around to tell you you're driving like an idiot. thankfully we have a good relationship and i actually trust him (now) to drive by himself but that is after 3.5 months of constant driving with me and he only drives on roads he knows. anything further and i would go with him. it is my car afterall...

cant wait till he passes his test but just passing a test doesn't mean you're the best driver in the world. i still get little shocks after driving for 10 years...some people are just so unpredictable.

Ha, Know what ya mean... Like what happened to me the other day. Driving merrily along. Girl in an almera pullng out of a garage. I was only a few feet away from her. I said in my head... she's not going to go.... is she? Yes she does, pulls out right in front of me. All I can say is if it wasn't for the fact I was doing the speed limit and braked really hard, would have gone right into her. Amazing what some people do on our roads. You really have to have your wits about you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭michelledoh

I'm on a provisional (fully insured with my own policy) what is the penalty for driving without a fully licenced driver in the car with you? Is it enforced?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Barrt2

I'm on a provisional (fully insured with my own policy) what is the penalty for driving without a fully licenced driver in the car with you? Is it enforced?

dont do it your breaking the law and giving learner drivers every where a bad name
    if you are involved in an accident more than likely your insurance wont cover it because they'll say "oh no accompanied driver well thats not covered etc"
    do it right or dont do it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

^ False

Insurance companies will cover third party in those circumstances. They are legally obliged to. After that, they may not cover you for personal damages.

Regarding driving without an accompanying driver, I don't encourage it. I did it myself and the chances of been caught are slim to none, though when your caught and you catch the garda on the wrong day, expect the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Barrt2

landyman wrote: »
    ^ False

Insurance companies will cover third party in those circumstances. They are legally obliged to. After that, they may not cover you for personal damages.

Regarding driving without an accompanying driver, I don't encourage it. I did it myself and the chances of been caught are slim to none, though when your caught and you catch the garda on the wrong day, expect the worst.

yes sorry thats what i was thinking they cover the car you damaged just not you. should've checked that proper. my bad

• Advertisement

It doesn't seem to be enforced at all TBH, but if you get caught apparently it's a €1000 fine. It just takes one Garda in a bad mood for that to happen.
    I think I made maybe 3 or 4 very short trips unaccompanied during my 6 months of driving on a learner permit; it was too nerve-wracking for me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭AldilaMan

I've being reading on this forum that the max fine for unaccompanied provisional drivers is €1000. Can anyone tell me what a typical fine would be. Other people have said around €80. €1000 seems excessive for something that a lot of provisional drivers seem to do regularly to get to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Zombie thread.:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭joetoad

As long as you don't give them any reason to pull you over you'll be fine, i.e speeding, no indicators, driving an integra or skyline, making mistakes etc

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This thread is rather out dated at this stage. You're welcome to start a new one, but I think a quick flick back over maybe the last 3/4 pages of threads and you'd find more than one thread answering your question.

This thread makes me realise that i've been moderating here quite a while...:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement