Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Accompanied driving rules & penalties for noncompliance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

G_H wrote: »
    a lad that i know he was caught today in a banger with no tax nct or insurance and he reconds he will get banned(rightfully so) so personly i think they deal with ever case differntly and that if you dont have an attitude and do things right they show a bit of lenency because at the end of the day there not ticks and they know who there looking for
    Yeah I'd say so - a friend of mine was driving an untaxed, unNCTed, uninsured car with not even a learner's permit to his name. Every time I met him, I asked if he was still doing it and told him to get rid of the damned car before he got in trouble, especially since he lived a 5 minute walk from college :pac:
    Then one day he came in and when I said "have you been caught yet?" he answered "yeah, they told me I have to get rid of the car, so I sold it".
    Got off pretty lightly! :P

I suspect there's some added leniency (for less ridiculously rule-flaunting people who at least have a learner permit, tax, insurance and an NCT) given the fact that passing the test seems to be so difficult. At least two other people I know have failed 3 tests and either plan to take down their L-plates or already have, and at €75 a pop with often long waiting times (although people seem to get cancellations quickly enough?) and often borderline situations leading to a fail (e.g. overtaking a car that was left in the middle of the road for over 30 seconds, but being too close to that or another car during the manoeuvre) it's kind of understandable.

My first test is coming up soon - is it really that hard to pass? Why are the failure rates so high (especially triple failures!)? I won't take my plates down if I fail, because I'm a bit of a stickler anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bastardsweeney

Does anyone know what the law says about L drivers being accompanied by non-Irish license holders?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,943 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's okay if the accompanying driver holds a valid EU license as far as I know.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

This post has been deleted.
    Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure a Swiss one will do too. If you're in any doubt, I'd suggest ringing your local Garda station or check out irishstatutebook.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Oriental Doll

I failed my driving test yesterday but I will need a car to drive into work due to the changing of office location and I have no other way to get into work. Does anyone know if I'll still be covered by my insurance if I drive on my own without a full licence driver accompanied.

I failed my driving test yesterday but I will need a car to drive into work due to the changing of office location and I have no other way to get into work. Does anyone know if I'll still be covered by my insurance if I drive on my own without a full licence driver accompanied.
    When I scrounging around for insurance quotes, some companies explicitly stated that the cover did not include "driving to work or college", iirc, since this would likely involve driving on your own.

I went with an insurer who didn't state this restriction, since I drive to college with a passenger who holds a full license quite often. In fact it's pretty much the only practice I'm getting these days before my second test...

I'd expect that, unless there is a clause in your insurance contract that gets them out of insuring you while you drive to work, you would be covered. Have you checked the contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Oriental Doll

zynaps wrote: »
    When I scrounging around for insurance quotes, some companies explicitly stated that the cover did not include "driving to work or college", iirc, since this would likely involve driving on your own.

I went with an insurer who didn't state this restriction, since I drive to college with a passenger who holds a full license quite often. In fact it's pretty much the only practice I'm getting these days before my second test...

I'd expect that, unless there is a clause in your insurance contract that gets them out of insuring you while you drive to work, you would be covered. Have you checked the contract?

Thanks a lot. I just rang the broker and was told they'd still cover me even if I drive on my own and it's against the law. I'm just hoping nothing will happen and I'll get my test date again soon.

Thanks again.

...they'd still cover me even if I drive on my own and it's against the law.
    They cover you if you break a red light and hit someone, and that's against the law. It might be a factor in determining who's at fault, but unless it's explicitly stated in your policy (my last one said it was invalid if I had anything to drink, for example) they have to cover you as normal.
    zynaps wrote: »
    ...Some companies explicitly stated that the cover did not include "driving to work or college."
    Surely you could get around that by driving to the shop beside your job, then walk the rest of the way? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

Just wondering if someone could give me a quick answer on this. Is the "accompanied driving" rule set down in any legislation or law? I know it was put into practice following orders from the RSA but i can't seem to find it put down in any act or relevant legislation

Cheers

EDIT scrap that think i've found it Road Traffic (Licensing of Drivers) Regulations, 1999.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭cup of tea

ynwa_17 wrote: »
    Just wondering if someone could give me a quick answer on this. Is the "accompanied driving" rule set down in any legislation or law? I know it was put into practice following orders from the RSA but i can't seem to find it put down in any act or relevant legislation

Cheers

EDIT scrap that think i've found it Road Traffic (Licensing of Drivers) Regulations, 1999.

link please??thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cup of tea wrote: »
    link please??thanks
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1999/en/si/0352.html

(Could you not have simply Googled it yourself???)

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭cup of tea

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1999/en/si/0352.html

(Could you not have simply Googled it yourself???)

I did,I've been looking through legislation last night trying to find it and still no luck.I'm new to this sort of think so I was trying to make it easier for myself.I was not looking for a link to the act itself but a link to the particular section that contained it.I suppose the better question would have been what section was is it in,in the act?.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

If you are caught driving without a full licenced driver then will you be banned from driving, made re-do the theory test or receive points.
    How strict are they on enforcing this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    If you are caught driving without a full licenced driver then will you be banned from driving, made re-do the theory test or receive points.
    How strict are they on enforcing this?

As with almost any other motoring law in Ireland, inconsistent and fairly slack.
    It's part of the problem.

I work with a woman who drives unaccompanied in and out of work every day, has been stopped at least three times now, gives them the same old 'ah sure, amn't I terrible, I know' nonsense every time and gets told to drive on. Meanwhile I rarely get to practice more than twice a week because of difficulties getting an accompanying driver.

We either have a law or we haven't.

dillo2k10 wrote: »

First I've ever heard of that. When, if at all, did this come into force? Is it just something they're proposing at the moment?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

AFAIK, it's a possible 1000 euro fine and two points if caught and the guard bothers to pursue it.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

spurious wrote: »
    AFAIK, it's a possible 1000 euro fine and two points if caught and the guard bothers to pursue it.

What's the best excuse to give if caught?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 hayyman

As with almost any other motoring law in Ireland, inconsistent and fairly slack.
    It's part of the problem.

I work with a woman who drives unaccompanied in and out of work every day, has been stopped at least three times now, gives them the same old 'ah sure, amn't I terrible, I know' nonsense every time and gets told to drive on. Meanwhile I rarely get to practice more than twice a week because of difficulties getting an accompanying driver.

We either have a law or we haven't.

I had the same experiance at a check point myself last friday night, i was driving my girlfriends car, got stoped and gaurd looks at lplates checks tax and insurance, gives me a dirty look and tells me to drive on but if car tax had of been out a week he probably would of took the car off me.

A Chinese friend from college was driving with no insurance, no tax, no NCT and not even a learner permit. Eventually (of course) he came in and said he'd gotten caught at a checkpoint. When quizzed by the garda, he simply played stupid ("In...sure...ants? What? Where I buy licence?") and was told to get rid of the car ASAP, so he did. Dodged a bullet really, I can't imagine getting away with that!

The mind boggles... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

I know a lot of people on provisionals with no L plates and none of them have ever been done for it (or having no licensed driver).:confused:

It is a totally stupid rule IMO. As is the 6 month wait before doing the test. If it was me, I would wait a while anyway but having a rule is just a pain as there is plenty who could pass 1st time on their 1st day of legal driving. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I applied for my full licence today, and they took my learner permit off me, so I effectively have no licence at all! Does this mean I can't drive until I receive my full licence? Or can I drive if I bring the receipt with me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

I applied for my full licence today, and they took my learner permit off me, so I effectively have no licence at all! Does this mean I can't drive until I receive my full licence? Or can I drive if I bring the receipt with me?

yes you can drive with a receipt.

well done btw.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You are not technically fully licensed until you receive your pink license. So L plates and accomp drive would still technically be required. However, i would have my doubts if a gard would really enforce this, if you have applied for your full license.

You are not technically fully licensed until you receive your pink license. So L plates and accomp drive would still technically be required. However, i would have my doubts if a gard would really enforce this, if you have applied for your full license.

Woman in tax office said its ok cos your literally just waiting for it to be delivered to you... just like when you apply for an NCT and your disc is out of date but its already booked...... must investigate ???

• Registered Users Posts: 20,943 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You should have gotten a receipt if you went into the tax office to exchange your licence. Carry that around in the car with you and show it to a Garda if you're stopped.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

robbie_998 wrote: »
    Woman in tax office said its ok cos your literally just waiting for it to be delivered to you... just like when you apply for an NCT and your disc is out of date but its already booked...... must investigate ???

I was also told the same when i passed my test. But this is not correct.

I think where the confusion arises is when you go to renew your full driving licesne you can indeed drive as a fully licensed driver with the receipt from the tax office. However, you are not fully licensed until your license has been issued. Which is not the case upon applying for a license.

EDIT: As i said, this is more of a technicality. but none the less it's how it works.

I was also told the same when i passed my test. But this is not correct.

I think where the confusion arises is when you go to renew your full driving licesne you can indeed drive as a fully licensed driver with the receipt from the tax office. However, you are not fully licensed until your license has been issued. Which is not the case upon applying for a license.

EDIT: As i said, this is more of a technicality. but none the less it's how it works.

i can see what you did there.

the RSA do make it clear that when you pass your test and receive your cert does not mean you are now fully licensed that your tax office needs to get your actual license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Hope this hasn't already been asked but:

If someone has had a full category B license from the UK (or the equivalent in the UK if it's not called a category B over there) for more than two years, can they act as the accompanying driver for someone on a learner permit in Ireland?

• Advertisement

Hope this hasn't already been asked but:

If someone has had a full category B license from the UK (or the equivalent in the UK if it's not called a category B over there) for more than two years, can they act as the accompanying driver for someone on a learner permit in Ireland?

Yes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement