Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Accompanied driving rules & penalties for noncompliance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,966 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ace2007 wrote: »
    how could you teach someone to drive if your not allowed to sit beside them?
    Unless it's a two seater there should be no problem. The accompanied driver sits in the rear, and the 'teacher' sits in the front passenger seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

ok so if say a accompained driver has less than 2 years experience and is in a car with a learner on their own - it they crash into someone - other person can claim....

but suppose they hit a pole in the road - could the insurance company refuse to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,966 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ace2007 wrote: »
    ....but suppose they hit a pole in the road - could the insurance company refuse to pay?
    The insurance company would be obliged to pay for any damage to the pole but not for any 1st party claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Sorry but i am very confused by one issue.. I've held a Full licence (cat. B) since march (long before the enforcement of such laws.

The issue i have is,
    Does the 2 year rule also apply to me? or just to full licences issued on/after the date when the law was being enforced?

thanks!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

congo_90 wrote: »
    Sorry but i am very confused by one issue.. I've held a Full licence (cat. B) since march (long before the enforcement of such laws.

The issue i have is,
    Does the 2 year rule also apply to me? or just to full licences issued on/after the date when the law was being enforced?

thanks!!

By the 2 year rule, i presume you mean, accompanying a learner permit holder before holding your license for 2 years? the rules apply to those on Learner Permits, so regardless of the fact that you passed your test before or after the new regulations, you must have held your license for at least 2 years before being able to accompany a Learner Permit holder in the category you hold your full license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

ec18 wrote: »
    Is there any penalty points if you are caught driving unaccompanied?
    there are no penalty points for driving unaccompanied. just a fine for €1,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 the_zooter

Accompanied Driver

The person acting as an Accompanied Driver must:

1. - hold a full Driving Licence for the relevant category.*

2. - have held the full Driving Licence for at least 2 years.

3. - have the Driving Licence with them.

4. - be in a fit state to drive.

Ok, I have a quick question that I don't think has been covered:
    My girlfriend wants me to teach her to drive - now apart from the obvious relationship strain that will bring, I wonder if I'm even able to!
    I'm English and currently hold a full UK licence - held for more years than I care to mention! As it's an EU licence, am I allowed to be the accompanied driver, or is it Irish Licence holders only. If the latter, and I convert my licence, do I then technically have to wait 2 years, as I wouldn't have held the Irish licence for long enough??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hey there The_Zooter, yes, you may act as a an accompanying driver in Ireland without exchanging your license
    (Taken from the RSA document "Changes to the driving licensing system effective 30th of June 2008)
    Q: If I hold a car driving licence from another EU country or from the European
    Economic Area (EEA) (Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland) and have held it for
    more than two years can I act as an accompanying person for a car learner
    driver?
    A: Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 the_zooter

Hey there The_Zooter, yes, you may act as a an accompanying driver in Ireland without exchanging your license
    (Taken from the RSA document "Changes to the driving licensing system effective 30th of June 2008)

Thanks for your quick answer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 maha81

Hi,

i have some questions, i have just moved with my husband from Germany to cork.
    I want to do driving license. My husband has German driving license (for last 14 years).

My question - How should i start? I mean, i first do theory test? and how many classes i have to take ( i have actually learned all the theory questions).

How is it after passing therory Test?

If i get provisional license, how long is the period of expiers and when can i apply for full license and how much does it cost?

What could be a total cost of doing a full license?

thanks a lot in advance

bye

• Advertisement

Well for a start you must complete a theory test, you do not need to do any classes, just learn on your own and do the test on the day.
    Once yu pass the theory test you must apply for your learner permit in your local motor tax office.
    Upon receiving you permit, you can do lessons if you wish, it would obviously be the best thing to do but it is not compulsary. You must have held your license for at least 6 months before sitting your test, you may apply for a test before the 6 months however.
    As for the cost, the actual test and costs of obtaining a permit are quite cheap, it's the lessons and your own car if you have one that'll cost the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

hey guys quick question

im two and a half months into my learner permit. do i have to wait for the six months to apply for the test or could i apply in a month or two to avoid the waiting list?

ie is it six months before you APPLY or DO.

i seem to be getting plenty of different opinions from friends and relatives!

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

You can apply now if you wish, the day you sit the test you must have had the permit six months, ive applied for it at the mo and put a note on it saying i couldnt do it until the 8th april(when my 6 months is up, so hopefully ill get it around then!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

timmywex wrote: »
    You can apply now if you wish, the day you sit the test you must have had the permit six months, ive applied for it at the mo and put a note on it saying i couldnt do it until the 8th april(when my 6 months is up, so hopefully ill get it around then!)

much appreciated man ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭lovinit

I have not started yet but the rules are getting tighter so need to start:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Smithy.Smith

I was wondering if anyone could help me because ever after reading this thread I'm pretty confused...

is an unaccompanied driver with a learner permit covered by his/her car insurance if an accident was to happen?

it may have already been answered but i'd really appreciate it if somebody could get back to me on this.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You possibly are but because you are breaking the law and your 'inexperience' could be deemed to be a contributory factor, they could reclaim the costs of the claim from you.
    Your insurance company are the best ones to answer your question!
    The best solution is to abide by the law in this instance!

You will be covered as far as your 3rd party claims go. That is for definite. But as Kbannon has said, that doesn't mean your insurance company wont chase after you to recover it's losses as you were driving unaccomp. So in short, yes you are insured, but as noted above, that doesn't mean you get off scott free if you make a claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Smithy.Smith

Thanks a lot for the quick response but when you say that the insurance company may try to retrieve the money, do you mean through a higher premium?
    Or is there some other method of doing so?

Thanks a lot for the quick response but when you say that the insurance company may try to retrieve the money, do you mean through a higher premium?
    Or is there some other method of doing so?
    Through the courts!

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 susan190

I have a provisional licence - It is my 4th provisional. I have fully comprehensive insurance.
    I was driving to work the other day and I crashed my car on the icy road - there was no question of me speeding or anyone else involved. a gaurd came to the scene and i had my L plates up - he didnt say anything.

I always have someone with me but this time I took a chance because I had to get to work. SO I was drivng unaccompanied.

I am due to sit my driving test in 3 weeks time. My car was a write off.

My question is will my insurance pay out as i am a provisional driver driving unaccompanied - also will i get in to any more trouble - points on my licence etc - I am sick with worry

thanks all.
    please reply only if you have personal knowledge of this as everyone seems to think they know until you ask them if they are sure and then you realise everyone is just guessing.

Only your insurance company can answer that question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

i have had someone in my family have the exact same thing happen to them. so i can relate our experience but i would say individual insurance companies differ on their policies so it may not be how things will go for you.

in our case my sister had no problems. the guards i think are generally quite sympathetic when accidents occur and usually wouldnt kick someone when they are down so i think points would be unlikely. My sis never got any. she had very little input from the guards at all in fact, they just said to contact the insurance company and let them deal with it.

as far as the insurance goes it depends who you are with: my sister was with AXA and had no problems and i also know of someone in work who was with Zurich (then eagle star) and also had no problems. I dont have personal experience but i am told Quinn are a bit more inclined to try to recover costs.

hope it works out for you

who are you insured with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 susan190

thank you for that tin97 I am not with any of those people. I am so paranoid I am afraid to say who im with.

Thank you for y our imput - I will get back to you and tell you how i got on

I would imagine that you should be alright Susan. Say nothing anyhow unless they ask!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

i would agree with that, if they ask you will have to tell them but if it doesnt come up then dont shout about it.

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 CoachDriver

susan190 wrote: »
    I have a provisional licence - It is my 4th provisional. I have fully comprehensive insurance.

My question is will my insurance pay out as i am a provisional driver driving unaccompanied - also will i get in to any more trouble - points on my licence etc - I am sick with worry

thanks all.
    please reply only if you have personal knowledge of this as everyone seems to think they know until you ask them if they are sure and then you realise everyone is just guessing.

will my insurance pay out as i am a provisional driver driving unaccompanied – NO
    points on my licence etc - YES (if you ever will get a license)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 chris11

I was stopped at a checkpoint in June last year,I had a provisional licence at the time but the gard just told me I shouldn't be driving by myself and let me go,I recently got summoned to court for driving unaccompanied.As I was stopped before June 30th what laws am I being charged under?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement