Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 music crazy

Harvey Norman one drives me crazy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭serfboard

Harvey Norman one drives me crazy:D

I was in Slovenia on a weeks holiday last month and burst me hole laughin when I heard an ad for ...

'ARVEY NORMAN!!!

Sounded funny in shouted Slovene!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Jimmy444

Ads that irritate:

1. That Norn Iron guy from Google going on about some school's accountants being "thot-leaders in their spayuss" Could he not try to be a bit more clichéd with his mid-Atlantic biz-speak? Grrrrrrrrr:mad:

2. The Volvo ad "car won't start" with a strange whiney voice - sounds like he's being strangled or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Did you hear the other one where hes at the tesco express checkout?
    I think its brilliant.
    Very funny, I've had very similar conversations with the lady myself, particularly the 'It's just bags' line :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

'Ya know that feeeling'..... hate that bints voice on the sky ad. Big whoop they arent upping their prices, their prices are already sky high.

Oh and any meteor ad ever!! from the beardy gimp on the xmas ad on tv to that new radio one with the piss poor french(?) accent saying that meteor ruined his love life by abolishing roaming charges...OH FCUK OFF!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

That ad for life insurance where 'the son' is remembering how his dad made him wear a helmet sunscreen etc.

Jaysus, it is dire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not just dire, its also ubiquitous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Lapin wrote: »
    There's one out now for Irish Life insurance (I think).

It features a college student reading a letter he wrote to his father.

Sun cream etc............................ Love, Jim.

Horrible, horrible ad. :mad:

It would be depressing if it was an anti-smoking or road-safety ad, but at least then you'd say "fair enough"...

But when I heard at the end that it was for a life-assurance company, I just thought it was cynical and disgusting. Did their advertising department not realise that for most people, this would be a step too far?

Idiots.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

There's some taxi firm using a 'hilarious' re-working of Ice Ice Baby at the moment. It's really badly done and I can't understand half the lyrics.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Those f*cking 'We've an app for that' ads are back on Newstalk. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    There's some taxi firm using a 'hilarious' re-working of Ice Ice Baby at the moment. It's really badly done and I can't understand half the lyrics.

ive heard that ad twice in the last hour on newtalk and its the crapest ad so far this year. why do they always give taxi drivers a dodgy dublin accent aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Ciaran_B wrote: »

Ha ha great ad, think its stupidly hilarious and makes me laugh everytime

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

Do ya LOIKE being stung?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That taxi ad is so bad... I can't even make out the name of the company....

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

Have ya ever been stungin yer Wa-hey!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

hacx wrote: »
    Have ya ever been stungin yer Wa-hey!
    I love to hate that ad. I've been trying to find it online to show my SO, but cannot find it anywhere. haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

The latest add wrecking my head is the Prince concert add.

The one with Tony Fenton, describing "His Royal Purpleness", for fcuk sake what a terrible add.

One gimp promoting another gimp :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

neris wrote: »
    ive heard that ad twice in the last hour on newtalk and its the crapest ad so far this year. why do they always give taxi drivers a dodgy dublin accent aswell

Heard this all over newstalk in recent days. It just can't get any worse than this. Can it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

Col200sx wrote: »
    The latest add wrecking my head is the Prince concert add.

The one with Tony Fenton, describing "His Royal Purpleness", for fcuk sake what a terrible add.

One gimp promoting another gimp :rolleyes:

wonder his royal purpleness turn up for his gig this time. Between Neil Diamond, Mary Byrne and Prince the concert ads are getting a bit much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

bilko1234 wrote: »
    Hi
    This is Mary from Irish life
    Can I speak to Mr Donnelly please?
    Speaking
    I Think it might be your Dad that I'm looking for.
    Hang on I'll get him
    Mr Donnelly, this is Mary from Irish Life, you wanted to speak to me?
    No, you sorted out that investment thing for me last week.
    Oh then it must be YOUR Dad I want.
    GRANDAD..!!!
    Ah Mary, thanks for getting back to me, I want to talk to you about my pension.

Does anybody else think this is a cute,warm and cuddly ad???

Horrendous ad. What person will hear this an be more inclined to go with Irish Life? What is the point in it?
    Col200sx wrote: »
    Does anybody else get annoyed about the way he says his name???

Yes hello, this is Joe-nny....

Is he trying to say Johnny, but makes a balls of it??????

Yep, that is probably the worst part of it. Wtf kind of name is Joney?
    dulpit wrote: »
    There's a round of ads on right now for some post franking company, the shtick is that the person has to go to the doctor because they're a chronic stamp licker :confused:

I've heard one of their ads but it's telling secretaries to tell their bosses to go with them. The ad mainly annoyed me because of the term "franking" which confuses and frightens me:p
    SkidMark wrote: »
    Mrs Brown at The Olympia

"Am I dying?"

"Next Tuesday!"

This makes no sense at all, why are people laughing ??

Then it moves on to ...

"I want to visit my sister"

"In?"

"An Aeroplane !"

Cue Howls of laughter from the audience.
    It's not even a joke, never mind that's it's not remotely funny.

One of those blood-presssure-rising-rush-to-the-radio-to-switch-the-station adverts.

I do hate Mrs Brown but this is the case for just about any ad for a comedy act I've seen on TV or radio. I reckon they don't want to ruin the joke so they usually only give us the punchline and no context which makes it look really weird when you hear the canned laughter.
    neris wrote: »
    Heard a new 1 for Lyons tea a few minutes ago with the guys blending the tea. Sounds like a severe case of gay sexual harasment in the work place.

Are they along the lines of the ones on the telly?

"For people who are 'all talk'..."

"I said to my trainer 'put on more weights', he said 'there are no more'".

Because I actually thought those were pretty funny.
    That idiot in the UPC ad. The way he talks makes me want to break the radio. Folks are getting it neow, dad watches footie mum is chuffed (stupid UK slang words). I would love to kick his arse from one end of Ireland to the other.

What I really hate about the UPC ads are the comparisons to DSL broadband.

"So yeah it's basically the same price but thirty six bajliion times better. Like, why don't you already have it? It's just way better, you'd have to be stupid to go with eircom" and so on when the fact about UPC and their fibre network is extremely limited in terms of availability.

Not really an ad, but Nova have had this thing lately where they say "hearing protection must be worn at all times". That's not saying much for them is it? Considering they're a radio station and thus rely on people hearing them properly...like how awful do they think they are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

The new one for Eircom... They're serial offenders and I'd love to grab that tool Jim by the scruff of the neck and drown him in the nearest jacks.

Anyway, the one where the actor rings up looking for broadband. The way he pronounced Actor as 'Actwor'. Like, I'd get 'Actohr' but where did Actwor come from? It's a pile of steaming brown stuff like all their ads!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

Mr E wrote: »
    That taxi ad is so bad... I can't even make out the name of the company....

Is it just me,or does the bloke at the end sound like Jake Stevens????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Lapin wrote: »
    There's one out now for Irish Life insurance (I think).

It features a college student reading a letter he wrote to his father.

Sun cream etc............................ Love, Jim.

Pure puke.

I'm convinced this same Jim went on to work in Eircom Support. His Da must be turning in his grave

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

The arnie one, the guy been told 50% off then seems to vibrate and explode

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The Londis/Come Dine With Me ad.

Not funny at all. In any way. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

The wily women of Ireland ad by that gowl with the cork accent is gonna cause me to have a car crash. It's very hard to drive with one hand when you're ripping out the car stereo and smashing it on the dash with the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

xxyyzz wrote: »
    The wily women of Ireland ad by that gowl with the cork accent is gonna cause me to have a car crash. It's very hard to drive with one hand when you're ripping out the car stereo and smashing it on the dash with the other.

This seems to be the absolute worst at the moment. Actually the only one that I will run across the house to turn off if I can even faintly hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

"Oh Yeawh, chartered accountancy" has resurfaced :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Bang restuarant and Alan Stanford. Man what's going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Voiceover for Bulmers cider, Irish/English accent promoting the leopardstown festival. not really a voice for radio

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement