Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Bang restuarant and Alan Stanford. Man what's going on.

She'd admit to shagging around rather than be seen in the restaurant with him.
    Can't say I blame the oul bint.

One thing I am certain of though - I will never set foot in Bang restaurant.

Not if the clientele there consists of the type of poncy **** that ad suggests it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

allanb49 wrote: »
    The arnie one, the guy been told 50% off then seems to vibrate and explode

Yeah only just heard that one. What's going on there? Why is Arnie there? Why is he shooting the place up because of this offer? Why doesn't the guy who owns the shop give a crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭cml387

Kildare Village. Again.

"..You complete me."

Same mid-atlantic SJP wannabee airhead doing the voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

Heard two very annoying ones yesterday on dublin stations.

One sounds like that gobdaw pat courtney on nova trying to do an american western accent for some bar or venue in clondalkin

2nd was one for bills bargains at the local renault dealer. bill cullen desperatly flogging renaults by offering a bbq. And the botoxed jackie also features at the end. This must be tough if theyve to do the voice over themselves or else their heads are still over inflated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Radio Nova "National Radio Cabs" some lass sounding about 4 years old

Some Rap for another (or maybe the same) taxi company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I will never buy a car off beepbeep.ie because of that ad.

Just heard a new heinz ad with two dodgy cork accents waffling on about how great cork is even when its raining

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

Maybe I'm just easily irritated in my old age but I find myself more incensed by the "actors" than the content of the ads.
    When Quinn Insurance went into receivership I rejoiced as I assumed that would mean an end to their advertising using that horrible man who talks in a throaty voice with a lisp, makes my skin crawl. But I'm after hearing another one today, and woe is me.
    In similar categories are Phelim Drew (advertising DTHAHBLINAAR CHEESE as though it were some kind of lactose based pheromone), Jerry Fish and Don Wycherley (I actually like him but that working class accent in the Rightclick ad is fooling no one).
    There's another chap whose voice doesn't particularly irritate me but he appears to be the voice of every quango going, as well as being in every second ad which requires "30something Dublin male". Recently there's been another goon with a horribly nasal voice (Eurocycles, DID Electrical, DEEEFFFF LEEPPPEERRRRRRRD) that drives me up the wall.

At the other end of the speculum spectrum is that indescribably bad Sayth Sayd media studies graduate who has once again taken to informing me that I'll never get that "premewshun" because I didn't do chawrturd akayntansee (or in English, Chartered Accountancy), and then rubs it in my face by regaling me with tales of the Yurro Saver menu at McD's.
    And his female counterpart Louise Moloney. Probably only applicable to people who listen to Nova (although I've heard National Radio Cabs elsewhere) but if I hear "Hai this is Leese Mlewney on Reydio Newva with a luke at whot's gewing on araynd tayn" followed inevitably by namedropping some painfully hip places in Temple Boar.

Call me old fashioned but surely one of the very few requirements necessary for a job in radio is a tolerable voice and the ability to enunciate?

Rant over, I apologise :(

No need to apologise.
    You nailed that appalling accent,spot on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

"Penneys, got a whole lotta things for Christmas.."
    I like that ad, only another five months to go :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

neris wrote: »
    Just heard a new heinz ad with two dodgy cork accents waffling on about how great cork is even when its raining

I love that ad, it pokes gentle fun at Cork people's ever-so-slightly high regard of their city. That's a Cork umbrella biy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

When Quinn Insurance went into receivership I rejoiced as I assumed that would mean an end to their advertising using that horrible man who talks in a throaty voice with a lisp, makes my skin crawl. But I'm after hearing another one today, and woe is me.

I think that's Gerard Byrne, who was in Fair City.. I've said this before but I dont understand why someone with a speech impediment becomes a voiceover artist, OR how they get work at it.. Similar is that guy with a similar lisp on the Spar ads.. drives me crazy..

Speaking of Fair City.. The wan who plays Niamh (and usually ironically tells us about what to when we feel bloated) is on an ad for Allianz at the moment.. She pronounces differently three times, once with a soft A, once with a more french sounding, and finally with a rolling 'L' sound... I mean did nobody hear this before broadcasting..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

I winder what is the impression of any German listeners to the cringe-worthy efforts of the actor doing the LIDL ads?

Any ad with Ed Byrne, dreadful.

Also Patrick McDonnell, the actor/comedian from Louth, doing something about Garden Gnomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

stannis wrote: »
    I love that ad, it pokes gentle fun at Cork people's ever-so-slightly high regard of their city. That's a Cork umbrella biy!

Yeah, I think its pretty funny - Best umbrellas in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Yeah, I think its pretty funny - Best umbrellas in the world

Anyone know a link to this online? Haven't heard it yet and it's not up on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

One sounds like that gobdaw pat courtney on nova trying to do an american western accent for some bar or venue in clondalkin

Yeah when I heard that I thought it was him too. I don't really mind American accents, just the awful put-on caricatures on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Brilliant Irish Times GAA championship ad is back... the one based on Beethoven's 9th Symphony where they sing all the names of the counties.

Makes me feel like it's finally summer, despite the weather! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

The fecking Flip flop ad for iarnrod eireann is dreadful.

So annoying and seems to run for a long time

Slidey wrote: »

I dont get that ad at all. it doesnt seem to be promoting anything.

fricatus wrote: »
    Brilliant Irish Times GAA championship ad is back... the one based on Beethoven's 9th Symphony where they sing all the names of the counties.

Makes me feel like it's finally summer, despite the weather! :D

You took the words out of my mouth.

Brilliant ad.

• Advertisement

Slidey wrote: »

And now theres a new one out just heard it on the last word and its even stupider then the 1st one

Lapin wrote: »
    You took the words out of my mouth.

Brilliant ad.

When they sing "Dublin, Derry, Wicklow, the Déise..." I always do a little fist-pump, à la Dan Shanahan! :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I think the woman in the 'wiley women of Ireland' ad has met her match in the contest for 'The Most Annoying Accent on Radio'. Take a bow annoying student from the UCC ad. The one that's a back and forth between a college academic and a student - man alive, that kid has one head-wrecking accent.

fricatus wrote: »
    When they sing "Dublin, Derry, Wicklow, the Déise..." I always do a little fist-pump, à la Dan Shanahan! :D

A boring pedant writes:
    It's Beethoven's ninth symphony where he (in modern parlence) "sampled" Schiller's Ode To Joy at the end.

Does anyone not cringe at the ad for NUI Maynooth where the lecturer never bothered to get his lock fixed?

Nothing sadder than universities begging for students.

cml387 wrote: »
    A boring pedant writes:
    It's Beethoven's ninth symphony where he (in modern parlence) "sampled" Schiller's Ode To Joy at the end.

Pedantic maybe, but also interesting... it's always good to learn new stuff!

Does anyone not cringe at the ad for NUI Maynooth where the lecturer never bothered to get his lock fixed?

Nothing sadder than universities begging for students.

Well I certainly cringe. It's almost like one of those "folksy" tales that the likes of George Dubya Bush would tell about "folks lookin' out for one 'nuther" in small town America. Sepia tones and all...

Terrible that, the idea that lecturers (in other universities) would actually lock their offices. What is the world coming to? Next they'll be locking their cars!

Nope, I cringe too.

Apart from the fact the the broken lock spiel is a load of tripe, there is nothing about the ad that makes me sit up and say "Yeah, fuggit I wanna go to Maynooth". A boring ad for a boring university town.

The ad for UCC on the other hand, has a touch of cleverness about it. The University Don highlights the academic features of the college, while in turn, a prospective student waxes lyrical about the social scene surrounding college life there. More realistic than a yarn about a broken lock.

A concise and (relatively) bullshít free ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

I don't believe the ad for UCG! A cork girl saying she went to UCG and had a great time. Definitely one for the Advertising Standards Authority! Sure, we know Corkonians never move from De County and, even if they do, wherever they go to is never as good as Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

Lapin wrote: »
    The ad for UCC on the other hand, has a touch of cleverness about it. The University Don highlights the academic features of the college, while in turn, a prospective student waxes lyrical about the social scene surrounding college life there. More realistic than a yarn about a broken lock.

A concise and (relatively) bullshít free ad.

Yup, in that it screams "We don't care if you're here for a PhD in Astrophysics or spend the year projectile vomiting after nights on the piss, so long as we get the tuition fees in!"

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭tommytee

kinda silly why Borat is advertising for the ITICA,

""ahh luukouuutta for da Logooo" soooooo Borat-ish and not Italian,
    ok you have to hear it to appreciate what i mean
    t

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

ive heard that ad twice in the last hour on newtalk and its the crapest ad so far this year. why do they always give taxi drivers a dodgy dublin accent aswell

Have to disagree with. I think they deliberately made it cr*p and cringeworthy. The result is a "so bad it's good" type of ad.

One of the few ads I applaud and give the benefit of the doubt to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement