Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

One of the cleverest campaigns over the last couple of years is the one advertising Husqvarna. What better way to draw people's attention to the name than to have the script read by a well-known personality with a lisp. And the script had a more than usual number of words containing the letter "s". Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

Anyone heard the ad for Hi-Ho-Hotels.com? Some squeaky voiced dub going on about his missus wanting him to book a hotel for (i believe he means holidays but can't figure out what he says) and his mate, who sounds an awful lot like the Gift Grub Glenda Gilson, tells him to look up this site. It's trully awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

"Dad, what does 'Is Feidir Linn' mean?"

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

cml387 wrote: »
    A boring pedant writes:

Does anyone not cringe at the ad for NUI Maynooth where the lecturer never bothered to get his lock fixed?

Nothing sadder than universities begging for students.

Judging by the amount of violence on the Streets of Maynooth, which they had on Liveline last week, he would be well advised to get that lock fixed fairly lively.

Ridiculous advert, trying to make Maynooth sound like Sesame Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

SkidMark wrote: »
    Ridiculous advert, trying to make Maynooth sound like Sesame Street.

In fairness a bunch of muppets living in cloud cuckoo land isn't too far off the mark!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to book a weekend in the Clurryon Hotel based on the recommendation of some spoilt little madam for whom a 4* hotel would undoubtedly be a downgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Probably mentioned already but those Phoenix magazine ads from a few weeks ago with the narrator with a very strange accent. They seem to have changed the narrator, which can only be an improvement I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Is feidir lin! i heard that from barry o'bama...... o god

I do like the one where the guy has the cross bow and is shooting something off his friends head though. no idea what its for, but i always think he's gonna hit him this time

*Ahhhh, whatcha think your doing!* is the line in it. could be for entertainment.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

The ads for the leopardstown inn really do my head in. Sounds like a place where pretentious southsiders still living in the celtic tiger days go along with indiana jones and marco polo. Who gives a crap if youve a revolving bar? is it a few hundred up at the top of a very tall tower with panoramic views of the city? NO so big deal.

those train ads with the flip flops are getting more annoying everytime i hear them. whats the point of the flip flop aswell? free flip flops with every train ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I was actually close to putting my fist through the radio this morning with those Euromillions introductions to the ad where VO recommends you hold on to something! They played it every ad break on Breakfast show on Today FM this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

There seem to be a slew of new ads for various forms of insurance (pet, etc) featuring Craig Doyle.

I'll make a point of not purchasing any service or product from any company that puts money into the pocket of that talentless non-entity.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

There seem to be a slew of new ads for various forms of insurance (pet, etc) featuring Craig Doyle.

I'm going to make a point of not purchasing any service or product from any company that puts money into the pocket of that talentless non-entity.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭HellishHeat

That_Guy wrote: »
    "Dad, what does 'Is Feidir Linn' mean?"

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

+1

When that little dweeb whispers it at the end of the ad - I nearly fall off my bike with irritation. EVERY TIME.

That shouty fecker from goal is back making us all feel guilty again and telling us to sort out africas problems. I hate those ads

• Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

neris wrote: »
    That shouty fecker from goal is back making us all feel guilty again and telling us to sort out africas problems. I hate those ads

I don't think they're currently on but the ads i found highly offensive were the charity ones where they said "Have you been supporting charity X this year? If so, thank you, now here's how you can support us again AND IT WON'T COST YOU A PENNY'. It feckin will! Basically you get a form, fill it out and claim back your overpaid tax but assign it to them. You overpaid your tax so the money you overpaid could be paid back into your bank account for your personal use. It's not free money the government is giving out, so it actually does cost you a penny, and a pretty one at that. Did whoever thought up of this scam not get that it'd make most charities look like disgusting, greedy feckers?

just heard one for trocaire now putting us on a guilt trip. Maybe charities could save some money for themeslves by not advertising and annoying us

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Poochie05 wrote: »
    I was actually close to putting my fist through the radio this morning with those Euromillions introductions to the ad where VO recommends you hold on to something! They played it every ad break on Breakfast show on Today FM this morning.

Aaghhh! It's back today. Can someone please win Euromillions and stop the agony!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

The ads for the leopardstown inn really do my head in. Sounds like a place where pretentious southsiders still living in the celtic tiger days go along with indiana jones and marco polo. Who gives a crap if youve a revolving bar? is it a few hundred up at the top of a very tall tower with panoramic views of the city? NO so big deal.

That's us southsiders getting revenge for all the "Tamangos - where the gang still goes" ads of the 90's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The ad that features that mad talentless bint Joanna Newsome's harpsichord is becoming the new Neil Diamond ad. Its on 3-4 times an hour on Radio 1 (may be an exaggeration).

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭spdmrphy

Voiceover for Bulmers cider, Irish/English accent promoting the leopardstown festival. not really a voice for radio

Can't stand the sound of that irritating c.unt with with wet rubber flappy lipped "B's". Drives me insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Kojak wrote: »
    Probably mentioned already but those Phoenix magazine ads from a few weeks ago with the narrator with a very strange accent. They seem to have changed the narrator, which can only be an improvement I guess.

I hate those ones. I just find the combination of the guys voice and talking like someone from a gossip show unbelievably irritating.
    Poochie05 wrote: »

Yeah those were terrible. I thought it was kind of funny the first time I heard it but it was literally the entire break for every break on the way in to work this week on TodayFM. It's not like they needed the publicity either. I'm glad Oxegen is over too, no more annoying adverts from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

That fukn Springboard ad that starts "Unemployed" with some English lad who loves the sound of his own voice voicing it really annoys me... first ad on the three ad breaks of Rachel English's lunchtime show today... really annoying..

And once again those stupid Tommy and PJ ads for Saorview......
    Tommy: "PJ, what will I do with my old analog aerial now that we have digital?"
    PJ: "Shove it up your h0le, Tommy.. Shove it up your h0le"..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

The today FM for the Rory McIlroy Pro-Am Golf tournament. Rory says "Did you ever wonder what it would be like to play with me?"

eh, no actually Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Hectors "keep her lit" radio spot, featuring a who's who of who cares.

Nyyyyavan Cat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I had the bedside radio on last night while I was in that twilight zone between being awake and asleep.

So I don't know if I dreamt about the return of an ad for the one (shouting) man play about Tom Crean.

Maybe I actually heard it, but if not please forgive me for the panic -

I MADE, A MISHTAKE.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Auror

That damn eircom ad Jim we're having a baby.....:mad:

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Auror wrote: »
    That damn eircom ad Jim we're having a baby.....:mad:

I feel your pain. Jim needs to stop the one nighters!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

And once again those stupid Tommy and PJ ads for Saorview......
    Tommy: "PJ, what will I do with my old analog aerial now that we have digital?"
    PJ: "Shove it up your h0le, Tommy.. Shove it up your h0le"..

I nearly pissed myself laughing at this, reading it in the voices of the two on the radio :D

Anyway I want to put in a good word for the TV license ads. Those ones always bring a smile to my face which is especially good given the mundane subject matter.

I also like the Vodafone Comedy Festival one with the Canadian comedian whose name escapes me. I just wish they had a few different ones so I'm not hearing the same jokes over and over. He remarks "I could have done 8 more jokes Vodafone" and he's right, they should have made a few more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

I can't make up my mind on that ad for taxis where the gangsta punter is rapping along with the Dublin cabbie. It seems to be on every single ad break on newstalk and whenever it comes on I find myself rapping along with the taxi driver part. I seem to know all the words and even the number off by heart. No idea of the name of the taxi firm though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    I can't make up my mind on that ad for taxis where the gangsta punter is rapping along with the Dublin cabbie. It seems to be on every single ad break on newstalk and whenever it comes on I find myself rapping along with the taxi driver part. I seem to know all the words and even the number off by heart. No idea of the name of the taxi firm though.

I love it! Don't know the name either but the number is 6 double 7 double 2 double 2 :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement