Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

'Broke bloke' are the alt lyrics for the radio-friendly edit of the ad. I think it's very clever and the execution is brilliant.

Agreed, I think that ad is class...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭optogirl

Christ that ad makes my ears bleed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

Hi
    This is Mary from Irish life
    Can I speak to Mr Donnelly please?
    Speaking
    I Think it might be your Dad that I'm looking for.
    Hang on I'll get him
    Mr Donnelly, this is Mary from Irish Life, you wanted to speak to me?
    No, you sorted out that investment thing for me last week.
    Oh then it must be YOUR Dad I want.
    GRANDAD..!!!
    Ah Mary, thanks for getting back to me, I want to talk to you about my pension.

Does anybody else think this is a cute,warm and cuddly ad???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

bilko1234 wrote: »
    Mr Donnelly, this is Mary from Irish Life, you wanted to speak to me?Does anybody else think this is a cute,warm and cuddly ad???

I hate this ad (sorry).. annoyingly repetitive, and the sickening saccharined tones of "Mary" are enough to make you wretch.. especially given that we are all gonna have to pay for "Mary"'s wages since Irish Life have been nationalised.

Hi

:mad:No. I want to shoot Mary and the Donnelly's (especially the young fella)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

I was about to comment on this ad, but saw your post and thought that some like minded person got there before me. Just as I was about to give your post the thumbs up, I read the last line.:eek: You're being sarcastic aren't you.....c'mon you are?

I fcuking loathe this ad. Mary's smugness seeps through the radio, you can almost hear the self-satisfied grin as she smarms her way through her spiel.

I hate the way the likes of Irish Life try to portray themselves as 'caring', sure they're like a charity. Their sole objective is to help us, generation after generation, cue the heartwarming grandad/dad/son ahhh....:rolleyes:

Each to their own of course, maybe you do genuinely like the ad and I'm sure the actress who plays Mary is lovely, but "Mary" herself makes me want to hop the radio off the walls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

Cole wrote: »
    I was about to comment on this ad, but saw your post and thought that some like minded person got there before me. Just as I was about to give your post the thumbs up, I read the last line.:eek: You're being sarcastic aren't you.....c'mon you are?

I fcuking loathe this ad. Mary's smugness seeps through the radio, you can almost hear the self-satisfied grin as she smarms her way through her spiel.

I hate the way the likes of Irish Life try to portray themselves as 'caring', sure they're like a charity. Their sole objective is to help us, generation after generation, cue the heartwarming grandad/dad/son ahhh....:rolleyes:

Each to their own of course, maybe you do genuinely like the ad and I'm sure the actress who plays Mary is lovely, but "Mary" herself makes me want to hop the radio off the walls.

Sarcasm???......guilty as charged!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Irish Life abomination

If , upon having heard an ad for a financial service, you want to beat all characters involved to death and dance in jubilation around their broken corpses, the ad agency has seriously misjudged their audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

If , upon having heard an ad for a financial service, you want to beat all characters involved to death and dance in jubilation around their broken corpses, the ad agency has seriously misjudged their audience.

The one about how much money AIB has given to schools and clubs REALLY gets to me, given that multiples of what they claim to have spent altruistically had been pumped in to their bank by taxpayers.... money which otherwise could have been invested in the clubs and schools they claim to help... This had is dishonest and disingenuous in the extreme.

AIB should have been shut down 25 years ago.. it was run by crooks the last time they were bailed out, and it's still run by crooks now..

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

I hate this ad (sorry).. annoyingly repetitive, and the sickening saccharined tones of "Mary" are enough to make you wretch.. especially given that we are all gonna have to pay for "Mary"'s wages since Irish Life have been nationalised.

Easily the most annoying ad on the radio at the moment..."Mary' is SO nice, SO pleasant, and SO patient as she endures getting the runaround within the household before finally getting through to the decision-maker/target, an old fart worried about his nest-egg. The amount of times I've had to run to the radio lately to dive on the off button...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

Hi
    Speaking
    Hang on I'll get him
    GRANDAD..!!!

when was the last time anyone rang a bank or any call centre and gota happily bubbely mary type on the phone?

There's an ad where a daughter calls her dad to ask him about windows or something. I hate the fake conversations, why not just say what the price is and end the ad. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Hi
    Speaking
    Hang on I'll get him
    GRANDAD..!!!

I really hate that ad, and I posted it in this thread when it came around last time.

It drags on for ages and the kid is really annoying.

There's a sinking feeling you get when an ad you hate returns to the airwaves after being rested for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Hi
    Speaking
    Hang on I'll get him
    GRANDAD..!!!

I f*cking hope that when the kid grows up he is sterile and the gene pool cannot be polluted with any more generations of the Donnellys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I f*cking hope that when the kid grows up he is sterile and the gene pool cannot be polluted with any more generations of the Donnellys.

Does anybody else get annoyed about the way he says his name???

Yes hello, this is Joe-nny....

Is he trying to say Johnny, but makes a balls of it??????

Theres another annoying ad for ketchup with a small kid speaking. really annoying ad. Also an ad on for quick soup today and guy putting on the stereotyped gay voice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

Col200sx wrote: »
    Does anybody else get annoyed about the way he says his name???

Yes hello, this is Joe-nny....

Is he trying to say Johnny, but makes a balls of it??????

Yup! I hadn't heard that ad since it came back on and thought it might have been changed so didn't post but yeah, WTF! What happened? Ddi the kid balls it up and the production guys were either too lazy to do a second take or didn't notice it, or else the kid was told but then threw a diva fit and wouldn't do a retake so they just went with it! Very strange, and annoying!

Child actors for ya. Or boggers, your choice.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I thought we’d moved past the ‘men are idiots’ school of radio advertising but has anyone heard that one that’s airing at the moment? It goes something like ‘If my husband had his way our daughter would be called Sunflower and we’d be running a hostel in Spain’, I don’t know what it’s selling but I won’t be buying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    I thought we’d moved past the ‘men are idiots’ school of radio advertising but has anyone heard that one that’s airing at the moment? It goes something like ‘If my husband had his way our daughter would be called Sunflower and we’d be running a hostel in Spain’, I don’t know what it’s selling but I won’t be buying.

I've heard that too (dunno what they're trying to sell either).

I don't get what they're trying to do with that phrase though?
    Is it meant to be hilarious? If so the ad writers should be flung out on their ear.

Another thing - I know of no man who would call his daughter Sunflower, or even consent to doing so if his other half wanted to.

As for running a hostel in sunny Spain. I certainly wouldn't knock the chance to do it.

A weird weird ad.
    Obviously doesn't work though.
    If it did, I should know what it is supposed to be promoting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭edwinkane

Ciaran_B wrote: »

I agree. there is an assumption on much of advertising that men are stupid and if it wasn't for their wives or girlfriends they would's be able to do anything. I also avoid products which use this dreadful assumption, whether it be overtly or implicitly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 omegaman3000

No nonsense.ie ads are good.....I hate that 'working-class dub gets accounting software and business takes off' how patronising

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭serfboard

No nonsense.ie ads are good

Given that the thread title is "Worst/Best Radio Ads", there seems to be a preponderance of postings about the worst ads. I know when they annoy you, it's hard to hold back, but ...

I love nononsense.ie ads, both on the radio and the telly. Now some are better than others, I liked the one where yer one was getting more orgasmic as she found out more details about the young lad.

I especially like the fact that for the telly, they didn't need to modify the voice-overs at all, just created the models.

The newstalk self promo ads with the creepy aliens are coming type music are a pile of muck. Nearly as bad as the one where the vet had chickens listening to george hook

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Hi
    Speaking
    Hang on I'll get him
    GRANDAD..!!!

That bit where the kid 'shouts' "Grandad" really grates on me. Every time I hear it I can see the producer saying to the child actor "now, we want you to shout "Grandad" but in a really fake, quiet way that won't fool anybody...

Why couldnt they get him to actually shout "Grandad" but a few feet further away from the microphone?!?

Hate this ad. Mary is probably slagging off the Donnellys to her co-workers the minute she gets off the phone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

telekon wrote: »
    That bit where the kid 'shouts' "Grandad" really grates on me. Every time I hear it I can see the producer saying to the child actor "now, we want you to shout "Grandad" but in a really fake, quiet way that won't fool anybody...

Why couldnt they get him to actually shout "Grandad" but a few feet further away from the microphone?!?

Hate this ad. Mary is probably slagging off the Donnellys to her co-workers the minute she gets off the phone...

If Mary had done it ****ing properly in the first place and asked for Mr (Firstname) Donnelly, she could have avoided talking to half the people in the house. And she is way too happy sounding for a call centre worker :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Poochie05

edwinkane wrote: »
    I agree. there is an assumption on much of advertising that men are stupid and if it wasn't for their wives or girlfriends they would's be able to do anything. I also avoid products which use this dreadful assumption, whether it be overtly or implicitly.

Ah but the clever twist (:rolleyes:) for this ad is that despite her husband's poor taste in names and yearnings for sunnier climes, she says thank goodness he has money sense and financial know-how so thanks to him they used the services of whatever company the ad is for (see I can't remember either!:D) so they are not destitute.

It wouldn't be one of the ads that bothers me at the moment, there are plenty further up the annoying queue for me (I'm looking at you Apache Pizza).

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Qwert1

Not exactly the appropriate time of the year but that ad they play at Christmas, I think it's for Barry's Tea or something, about the Father buying a train set for his son. 'Santa can get him what he want, this one's from me...', it's so over the top sickly sweet it almost makes me dread Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

"Not exactly the appropriate time of the year but that ad they play at Christmas, I think it's for Barry's Tea or something, about the Father buying a train set for his son. 'Santa can get him what he want, this one's from me...', it's so over the top sickly sweet it almost makes me dread Christmas. "

this! i really hate this add, its so annoying, the way the young version of the man, says his bit in the past, then the present day one repeats it...."doesnt that beat banagher..." grrrr, and at the end of the day, its for a cup of scald, and not even the good brand... :)

you can add to that any add that features "jim" from eircom support and "mary" from irish life ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

Heard an awful one yesterday for some hotel or other that actually worked because of the ad that followed it!

It was on i102 so sorry if a lot of you guys haven't heard it.

It's an awful, awful ad that's pretending to be a sitcom with the wife saying something like 'We need a break' and the hubby going 'Oh we can't afford that', followed by the 'audience' going 'Boo', and me puking! Then, because he's a man and he's stupid, the wife comes up with reasons why it'll work. 'It's well within budget', 'We have a budget?' says the man, followed by more Audience laughing and, eventually, because the advertising agency were really talented, it comes round to the wife more or less saying, 'Oh you can get in a round of golf and I'll do my thing and we'll be well relaxed for some good, sweet lovin' as well'. Cue audience going 'Oooh!'. Bloody awful but..

...the ad immediately following it started off with a frightened, despairing voice over, 'I need a job!'. and was an ad for a depression counselling service. Maybe you had to be there but it made it sound like the guy in ad 1 had lost his job and was letting on to the wife that he was still working. It sounded like an internal monologue!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement