Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

squonk wrote: »
    Heard an awful one yesterday for some hotel or other that actually worked because of the ad that followed it!

It was on i102 so sorry if a lot of you guys haven't heard it.

It's an awful, awful ad that's pretending to be a sitcom with the wife saying something like 'We need a break' and the hubby going 'Oh we can't afford that', followed by the 'audience' going 'Boo', and me puking! Then, because he's a man and he's stupid, the wife comes up with reasons why it'll work. 'It's well within budget', 'We have a budget?' says the man, followed by more Audience laughing and, eventually, because the advertising agency were really talented, it comes round to the wife more or less saying, 'Oh you can get in a round of golf and I'll do my thing and we'll be well relaxed for some good, sweet lovin' as well'. Cue audience going 'Oooh!'. Bloody awful but..
    !

I thinks its the berkeley court thats for. A truly afwul work of ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭cml387

neris wrote: »
    I thinks its the berkeley court thats for. A truly afwul work of ****e

Yes,D4 hotels to precise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

cml387 wrote: »
    Yes,D4 hotels to precise.

Or lining the pockets of Sean Dunne and his odious wife to be even more precise

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ave Nocturna

telekon wrote: »
    That bit where the kid 'shouts' "Grandad" really grates on me. Every time I hear it I can see the producer saying to the child actor "now, we want you to shout "Grandad" but in a really fake, quiet way that won't fool anybody...

Why couldnt they get him to actually shout "Grandad" but a few feet further away from the microphone?!?

Hate this ad. Mary is probably slagging off the Donnellys to her co-workers the minute she gets off the phone...

Yes! That fake "GRANNDAAAAD" really really makes me twitch. You're either shouting or you're whispering, kid, make your bloody mind up! ARGHHHHHHHHH

• Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

There's a round of ads on right now for some post franking company, the shtick is that the person has to go to the doctor because they're a chronic stamp licker :confused:

Stupid ad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kildare Village and that faux "Sex and the City" shop-till-you-**** vibe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

No nonsense.ie ads are good.....I hate that 'working-class dub gets accounting software and business takes off' how patronising

That's the lad from Apres Match unless i'm mistaken. Courierieriering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Mrs Brown at The Olympia

"Am I dying?"

"Next Tuesday!"

This makes no sense at all, why are people laughing ??

Then it moves on to ...

"I want to visit my sister"

"In?"

"An Aeroplane !"

Cue Howls of laughter from the audience.
    It's not even a joke, never mind that's it's not remotely funny.

One of those blood-presssure-rising-rush-to-the-radio-to-switch-the-station adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I despise the erin soup ads. I want to scald all those fookers with their soup.

the mad mermaid mums is probably the most annoying, followed by the spanner that thinks he can pass off premade "tuscan" soup as his own.

Mammy who seems to have an inability to cook and fed her kids on nothing but packet soup growing up is probably the least offensive. But still very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

EuroCycled/EuroBabies are at it again! <rolls eyes>! Anyone hear the new one with the trad song? Sounds like a totally ****e version of the ****e that gets thrown out to visiting Americans!

It might be in the 'so bad it's good' category however. My jury is still out on that!

• Advertisement

theres really annoying ads on in a david attenbrough style just before 11am on the ray darcy show for kit kats

Heard a new 1 for Lyons tea a few minutes ago with the guys blending the tea. Sounds like a severe case of gay sexual harasment in the work place.

Also daft dave and his monkey are back flogging tiles

neris wrote: »
    Also daft dave and his monkey are back flogging tiles
    Ah horse testicles, he's not is he? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭polobradaigh

Can I make a suggestion regarding swearwords. When somebody types ****e it could mean white, horse, farce, apple or a hundred other possibilities. If you mean the do-do word it should read s***e or even if you're really daring sh**e. Let's get it right.

Can I make a suggestion regarding swearwords. When somebody types ****e it could mean white, horse, farce, apple or a hundred other possibilities. If you mean the do-do word it should read s***e or even if you're really daring sh**e. Let's get it right.

In fairness, the site edits the word for you. Nobody actually writes '****e', as I've just done now here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭cml387

Kidare Village ...again...

Fabulous Fabulous Fabulous

AHHHH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    I thought we’d moved past the ‘men are idiots’ school of radio advertising but has anyone heard that one that’s airing at the moment? It goes something like ‘If my husband had his way our daughter would be called Sunflower and we’d be running a hostel in Spain’, I don’t know what it’s selling but I won’t be buying.

The really irritating thing bout this one is that it's "if my husband DES..."!!!
    Why the fook do we need to know what her husband's called???
    Maybe this is an introduction to this hapless eejit who's wife is going to be visiting our radios on a regular basis over the next year or so exciting us with tales of DES and how madcap he is.
    We await with baited breath.....

for once I've something good to say about an Ad! I heard a great Curry's one last evening.

Started off sounding like a clip from the King's Speech but then started to go on about the Royal Wedding next week and how there was a sale on that day. I actually thought it was clever and funny and laid back all at the same time. They didn't pound the name of the shop into your brain and actually got you interested so that you could hear the name of the shop and what they were advertising. Made me think more highly of Currys. Listen out. It's a decent effort. It's nice to hear an ad you like for a change!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭polobradaigh

The one that currently sends me dashing to switch off is the one with Mother's Whistler in the background (foreground actually) advertising a range of household items. Drives me gaga. Lord Gaga, that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

That idiot in the UPC ad. The way he talks makes me want to break the radio. Folks are getting it neow, dad watches footie mum is chuffed (stupid UK slang words). I would love to kick his arse from one end of Ireland to the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

a lot of ads seem to be of the "Faux interview" style lately - the Easons ad, the SAGE ad and others. What gives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

hacx wrote: »
    a lot of ads seem to be of the "Faux interview" style lately - the Easons ad, the SAGE ad and others. What gives?

Particularly bad is that one with the guy with the working class Dublin accent "How many times have you been stung, do you LIKE being stung"... awful tripe..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

The "Kings Speech" inspired Curries ad is quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭captain caveman

Anyone heard those ads for "Dont Tell The Bride"? Absolutely Godawful acting from the voiceovers!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

anyone hear that new ad that Simon delaney does?

Its about coldsore cream, with him pretending to be the cream. Its not the worst ad on radio, but its still one that could have done with a bit more work put into it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

No Mr Bond, I suspect you to die. Eh? It's expect, not suspect. You would think that Xtravision could get a movie quote right. Apart from that little piece of stupidity, it's also an incredibly annoying ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

The Knorr quick soup ad with the lisping effeminate voice of the "slump". You know, the voice that apparently tells you to "send that email about your boss, to your boss". Effing hate it.
    No Mr Bond, I suspect you to die. Eh? It's expect, not suspect. You would think that Xtravision could get a movie quote right. Apart from that little piece of stupidity, it's also an incredibly annoying ad.

I think they're trying to be "cute" by having her quote it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

squonk wrote: »
    for once I've something good to say about an Ad! I heard a great Curry's one last evening.

Started off sounding like a clip from the King's Speech but then started to go on about the Royal Wedding next week and how there was a sale on that day. I actually thought it was clever and funny and laid back all at the same time. They didn't pound the name of the shop into your brain and actually got you interested so that you could hear the name of the shop and what they were advertising. Made me think more highly of Currys. Listen out. It's a decent effort. It's nice to hear an ad you like for a change!
    Fully agree...this is probably the ONLY radio add I admire at the moment. It's a good idea, well put together.

There's an ad on for Senior Line or something with Micheál O I'm-not-going-to-try-to-spell-his-surname.

The way he says the number 4 in the telephone number (1850 440444 or something) is grating to say the least, I've only heard it twice and I hate it!

• Advertisement

dulpit wrote: »
    There's an ad on for Senior Line or something with Micheál O I'm-not-going-to-try-to-spell-his-surname.

Senior Line.... isn't that the Joe Duffy show?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement