Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

Not sure if this one has been mentioned,but the ad for showhouse bathrooms,the one with the Bob Marleyesque singing.

If it that wasn't enough to make you go postal,that fecking Courtney starts yapping away.

Makes me want to reach for my Magnum 45!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

"So, as you can see with these graphs and such" (because he's obviously a high-flying business go-getter like all the other twats who use this service like to think of themselves as...)

"Excuse me for interrupting your meeting Tom (again, he's a go-getter!), but did you have another appointment?"

"Eh, no?"

"There's a lady outside, says she's your 10:31 pickup"

"OK, send her in!"

*idiotic wolf-whistling*

"Do I know you..."

"I'm your 10:31 pick up for Citipost. Don't worry, I'll look after your package!"

Ugh, makes me want to throw my radio out the car window. That and the new National Radio Cabs faux interview ad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

Mr E wrote: »
    Absolute shocker I know, but Harvey Norman's new ad (circus themed with camp lisping voiceover) makes me want to rip my ears off.

Yep, looks like Harvey Norman have gone for the nuclear option. I don't think they could possibly make a more irritating ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    "So, as you can see with these graphs and such" (because he's obviously a high-flying business go-getter like all the other twats who use this service like to think of themselves as...)

"Excuse me for interrupting your meeting Tom (again, he's a go-getter!), but did you have another appointment?"

"Eh, no?"

"There's a lady outside, says she's your 10:31 pickup"

"OK, send her in!"

*idiotic wolf-whistling*

"Do I know you..."

"I'm your 10:31 pick up for Citipost. Don't worry, I'll look after your package!"

Ugh, makes me want to throw my radio out the car window. That and the new National Radio Cabs faux interview ad[/QUOTE]

"Elaborate"

"F*ck you, ya tool. Who'ld want to work for a prat like you?"

I feel so much better after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Those ads for one direct insurance (I think) with Pat Short warbling about 1890 22 22 22. They are on T.V. as well.

IMO they would put anyone off getting insurance with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 eminoz

Speaking of not pronouncing T's, what about not being able to pronounce Th?
    Have you heard the the ad for "Thornfield" (R1), pronounced, ve-ry care-fully, Torn-field. As ca-full-y as every other word. I can imagine the recording. Actor reads in normal, nicely modulated voice (as they say in the blurb). Ad exec: "No!, we need it to be much Posher". Actor tries again, with heigthened pitch and diction. AE "Again! I want posh!!! This is a discreet expensive executive venue! For Naice people". Actor buries head in hands, thinks of cheque, and tries his best stage parody. "That's it - that's it!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

It's not really an "ad", but that Trocaire one with the "poverty helpline" spoken by a guy in a really flat, toneless voice. Irritating and patronising, like most charity ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭cml387

stannis wrote: »
    It's not really an "ad", but that Trocaire one with the "poverty helpline" spoken by a guy in a really flat, toneless voice. Irritating and patronising, like most charity ads.

Fergus Finlay I think.

Yes,it's awful.Sorry Fergus.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,411 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

ROSS O'CARROLL KELLY IS BACK! TE TUM DE TIDDILY TUM DE TURP!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Did I hear the same ad but with a woman's voice doing the poverty helpline this morning? Have they changed it, or are there 2 versions? Either way they are both annoying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Dymo

EDIT: sorry wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

First time i heard that ad is was the one with the woman and I thought she said "party helpline" which I thought was bizare as the ad went on

the Erin soup ad with family that sound like a proper pack of culchies. =

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

The D4 Hotels ad with the pantomime-style "boo hiss...cheer!!!" chorus. It's basically a wife pleading with her nasal, constipated husband to take her to Dublin for the weekend because she really needs "a break from the kids". Very, very annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

"We're the blackberry boys We're the blackberry boys We're the blackberry boys We're the blackberry boys We're the blackberry boys We're the blackberry boys We're the blackberry boys We're the blackberry boys We're the blackberry boys We're the blackberry boys We're the blackberry boys We're the blackberry boys We're the blackberry boys We're the blackberry boys"

F*ck off. I hope you all die roaring.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The D4 Hotels ad with the pantomime-style "boo hiss...cheer!!!" chorus. It's basically a wife pleading with her nasal, constipated husband to take her to Dublin for the weekend because she really needs "a break from the kids". Very, very annoying

What bugs me about that ad is your man goes on about how they can't afford to go, but she convinces him by saying he can go to a match in the Aviva and a gig in the RDS or O2 or wherever... Plenty of disposable income so...

I think the conclusion we can draw from this entire thread is that most or all radio ads should be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

xxyyzz wrote: »
    "We're the blackberry boys We're the blackberry boys We're the blackberry boys We're the blackberry boys We're the blackberry boys We're the blackberry boys We're the blackberry boys We're the blackberry boys We're the blackberry boys We're the blackberry boys We're the blackberry boys We're the blackberry boys We're the blackberry boys We're the blackberry boys"

F*ck off. I hope you all die roaring.

Very annoying, especially since half of them are women. Nobody is going with Blackberry anymore anyway unless its for business. I also can't help being annoyed with Vodafone for their success despite being the most uncompetitive mobile service provider in the country.
    I think the conclusion we can draw from this entire thread is that most or all radio ads should be banned.

Most current ads. What is it about radio ads that they're so bad compared to other mediums? Do they hire first year advertising students to make them as a project or something?

Oh and the Mespil Hotel ads. I refuse to believe everyone on the other side of the country is that thick. "We should have a look at those iPhones when we're in Dublin". They sell those things in every town across the country!

Eurocycles and Eurobabies has quickly become "smash the radio" material again. "Prices can't be bet" is enough to make you want to fill your ears with tar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

What is it about radio ads that they're so bad compared to other mediums?
    I don't know but they are terrible... I think it's because they are trying to be funny, but aren't very good at it. But you have to listen to it again and again... and again and again and again and again... Imagine someone who is bad at telling jokes telling you a bad joke every hour or so...

Either that or the realise they are not on telly so proceed to explain everything they can to create a long drawn-out analogy and explanation (which they don't have to do on telly because a picture is worth 1000 words and all that)... Whereas they should be realising that radio is a totally different medium to telly so they should approach it completely different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

Those Eircom phonewatch ads with the two inept burglers are just embarrassing.
    Are they trying to give us the message that there's criminals out there watching our houses but then tempering the "scare" factor by making them like a loveable rogue and his gormless ou'fella??
    If you want to scare people into buying your product, telll it like it is, and portray drug crazed scumbags who'll stop at nothing (and for no one) in pursuit of getting money.
    No more "Laurel & Hardy" robbers please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

The McCain's chips one with the brats fighting over who go the most chips. they only got 20 and 22 respectively so the mother is a bit tight or reckons they're getting a bit fat as well as loud. As for the bit at the end... 'it's always like this when we have McCain'. WTF!! They're chips! Who call's them McCain. it'd be better if she said 'It's always like this when we have cocaine'.

Anything that has that deep-voiced Gaelgeoir accented woman, I think she was in that stupid TG4 ad with the gunshots and one of those Denny ads too. There is something really cloying about her voice.

Oh yes, and those $!?%ing Erin soup ads too. The Mad Mermaid Mums? What the fudge do they have to do with soup?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

bilko1234 wrote: »
    Those Eircom phonewatch ads with the two inept burglers are just embarrassing.
    Are they trying to give us the message that there's criminals out there watching our houses but then tempering the "scare" factor by making them like a loveable rogue and his gormless ou'fella??
    If you want to scare people into buying your product, telll it like it is, and portray drug crazed scumbags who'll stop at nothing (and for no one) in pursuit of getting money.
    No more "Laurel & Hardy" robbers please!

They used to go for all out scaremongering but I think they must have gotten into some trouble for it. They were actually pretty scary for kids, I remember hearing them years ago when I was about 8 and I was kept up for fear of the burglars who were no doubt going to break in at night and murder everyone in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭CorsetIsTight

eminoz wrote: »
    Speaking of not pronouncing T's, what about not being able to pronounce Th?
    Have you heard the the ad for "Thornfield" (R1), pronounced, ve-ry care-fully, Torn-field. As ca-full-y as every other word. I can imagine the recording. Actor reads in normal, nicely modulated voice (as they say in the blurb). Ad exec: "No!, we need it to be much Posher". Actor tries again, with heigthened pitch and diction. AE "Again! I want posh!!! This is a discreet expensive executive venue! For Naice people". Actor buries head in hands, thinks of cheque, and tries his best stage parody. "That's it - that's it!!"

If that's the one for the the addiction centre in Co. Wicklow it's actually Toranfield, not Thornfield, but it's still pronounced wrong in the ad.

If it's not that ad...then no, I haven't heard it :p

Oh yes, and those $!?%ing Erin soup ads too. The Mad Mermaid Mums? What the fudge do they have to do with soup?

the new one with the dopey sounding sterotypical pikey family is really pi55ing me off. "there were 6 off us in family, now can i tarmac your driveway there boss"

ad for supermacs with a stupid french accent. wtf is the fascination with faking accents in ads these days

• Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

neris wrote: »
    ad for supermacs with a stupid french accent. wtf is the fascination with faking accents in ads these days

Agreed, there's a couple of dodgy German accents floating around too for Lidl/Aldi/something else

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Blackjackdavey

I love reading this thread, what I love even more is the fact that none of the ads I've ever made have claimed the title of 'worst' radio ads or got a slating here!

I wont be negative for a second about any one else's ads but here's some ads I love;

The Eircom music Hub ads especially the 'Gold Digger' one.
    The TG4 ad for 'Corp is Anam' where voiceover Ruth McCabe gets shot while talking about the gritty Police Drama on TG4.
    The new Bulmers ads, there's something about that male VO that I find very comforting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I love reading this thread, what I love even more is the fact that none of the ads I've ever made have claimed the title of 'worst' radio ads or got a slating here!

I wont be negative for a second about any one else's ads but here's some ads I love;

The Eircom music Hub ads especially the 'Gold Digger' one.
    The TG4 ad for 'Corp is Anam' where voiceover Ruth McCabe gets shot while talking about the gritty Police Drama on TG4.
    The new Bulmers ads, there's something about that male VO that I find very comforting.

No, just no. If the accents don't ruin it, changing a controversial word to "broke bloke" just destroys it. Just so awfully bad its not funny. Why use a song with lyrics you can't even say word for word on the radio?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Blackjackdavey

'Broke bloke' are the alt lyrics for the radio-friendly edit of the ad. I think it's very clever and the execution is brilliant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement