Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭Genghis

The current ads for (is it) Flahavans or some oats brand annoys me everytime. They claim to have some unique way of making oats and go to find out, only the cunning creatives add in a fun device whereby background noises block out the secrets reveal.

C'mon you sell oats, it's a basic commodity foodstuff, there's nothing magic or special and obscuring the non message is just plain annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,898 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

That fecking goat is now advertising Sky.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Wtf is it with that dumb Ulster Bank ad, with all the terms and conditions tacked on that end up taking as much air time as the ad itself?
    A simple phrase, like "Don't borrow more than you can afford" would do it.

That would be illegal.

By law you have to clearly state the terms and conditions.

If you look at a bank finance ad in print media, it's all scuttled downin the bottom corner, a huge load of words.ie, "the small print" In radio, you have to actually say them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

anewme wrote: »
    That would be illegal.

If you look at a bank finance ad in print media, it's all scuttled downin the bottom corner, a huge load of words.ie, "the small print" In radio, you have to actually say them.

Still, you get toolbags like our friend in Roscommon who think they don't have to pay back any loans.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This trend of having ads that rhyme is very annoying - there's 2 or 3 of them on at the moment that are atrocious.

Thought I was alone noticing this. Makes my ears bleed some of those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,898 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

That would be illegal.

Has anyone had the balls to simply say, "See our terms and conditions at blah blah.ie"? If they have, has the regulator (if there is one with teeth) ever rapped them over the knuckles for it?

Frankly, I'm sick to death of every little thing having to be explained for the benefit of the stupid, the leeches, and the lawyers.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,147 ✭✭✭plodder

That would be illegal.

What law is that?
    I always find it strange and annoying and a bit inconsistent. Some times they just say "terms and conditions apply" which seems kind of obvious really. Surely, everyone knows there will be terms and conditions .... Other times they seem to include some of the T&Cs but clearly not all of them. It would take five minutes to read out all the T&Cs of a typical finance contract ... for all the good it does to read anything out at speed in that "small print" type of voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sarah from the Irish Jobs ad must not have had any success last year because she's back again this year, still in the same place, still looking.... :D

What does that say about Irish Jobs? :pac:

plodder wrote: »
    What law is that?

I always find it strange and annoying and a bit inconsistent. Some times they just say "terms and conditions apply" which seems kind of obvious really. Surely, everyone knows there will be terms and conditions .... Other times they seem to include some of the T&Cs but clearly not all of them. It would take five minutes to read out all the T&Cs of a typical finance contract ... for all the good it does to read anything out at speed in that "small print" type of voice.

The good it does is to cover the financial institution legally. Otherwise, there could be complaints from the public to the Financial Regulator which could result in fines for the financial institution as it refers to a specific financial contract.

You mention ones that don't say it, haven't heard those ones ...I am answering the person who asked why Ulster Bank do it.

Saying it is obvious that terns and conditions apply is not deemed as transparent enough, as someone will challenge it and plead ignorance. Ireland is a very litigious country.

All financial institutions get their content checked before issue and that's the result.

The good it does is to cover the financial institution legally. Otherwise, there could be complaints from the public to the Financial Regulator which could result in fines for the financial institution as it refers to a specific financial contract.

You mention ones that don't say it, haven't heard those ones ...I am answering the person who asked why Ulster Bank do it.

Saying it is obvious that terns and conditions apply is not deemed as transparent enough, as someone will challenge it and plead ignorance. Ireland is a very litigious country.

All financial institutions get their content checked before issue and that's the result.
    I'd be interested to know what if any rules/laws/guidelines actually exist written down though, as opposed to financial institutions just being defensive about it. In the absence of specific rules, I'd say that courts wouldn't really hold it's reasonable to assume that there are no terms or conditions when you take out a loan or a mortgage, (even though you have to sign a document full of them) if the ads don't state that explicitly. On the other hand, some things are useful to know, like insurance companies, which country they are regulated in. I actually like to hear that one.

• Advertisement

I'd be interested to know what if any rules/laws/guidelines actually exist written down though, as opposed to financial institutions just being defensive about it. In the absence of specific rules, I'd say that courts wouldn't really hold it's reasonable to assume that there are no terms or conditions when you take out a loan or a mortgage, (even though you have to sign a document full of them) if the ads don't state that explicitly. On the other hand, some things are useful to know, like insurance companies, which country they are regulated in. I actually like to hear that one.

There are stringent guidelines in relation to advertising of financial products.

https://www.centralbank.ie/docs/default-source/regulation/consumer-protection/compliance-monitoring/advertising-monitoring/review-of-advertisements-for-compliance-with-consumer-credit-regulations-july-20149426b8134644629bacc1ff0000269695.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Thanks. I see from this link: https://www.centralbank.ie/regulation/consumer-protection/consumer-protection-codes-regulations

the Consumer Protection Code lists all those specific warnings you hear: like "Warning: If you do not keep up your repayments you may lose your home." which all make sense to me. I don't see anything that says all T&Cs have to be listed, or they have to say "Terms and conditions apply" though. I think there is an element of 'to be sure, to be sure' belt and braces, defensiveness in some ads.

Thanks. I see from this link: https://www.centralbank.ie/regulation/consumer-protection/consumer-protection-codes-regulations

the Consumer Protection Code lists all those specific warnings you hear: like "Warning: If you do not keep up your repayments you may lose your home." which all make sense to me. I don't see anything that says all T&Cs have to be listed, or they have to say "Terms and conditions apply" though. I think there is an element of 'to be sure, to be sure' belt and braces, defensiveness in some ads.

This was the bit I picked up on and would make sense why they go all out. Agree it is a belt and braces, but no ones wants a challenge.

Part 2 Section 7 of the CCR requires that ‘Any advertising concerning credit agreements that
    indicates an interest rate or any figures relating to the cost of the credit to the consumer
    shall include standard information in accordance with this Regulation. The standard
    information shall specify in a clear, concise and prominent way by means of a representative
    example;
    (a) the borrowing rate, fixed or variable or both, together with particulars of any
    charges included in the total cost of the credit to the consumer,
    (b) the total amount of credit,
    (c) subject to paragraph (3), the annual percentage rate of charge,
    (d) if applicable, the duration of the credit agreement,
    (e) in relation to credit in the form of deferred payment for a specific good or
    service, the cash price and the amount of any advance payment, and
    (f) if applicable, the total amount payable by the consumer and the amount of the
    instalments’.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The radio stations would refuse to carry an ad missing those components. They'd be at risk from the BAI for accepting it and its more money for more adtime anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Mammy, It's Joe Dolan and he says his car's broken down. He also said I'm a freeloading waster and at 53, I should have my own house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

F*ck me, the Air France one is back. :(:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

ooh la la, c'est magnifique !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,142 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    F*ck me, the Air France one is back. :(:mad::mad:

Land in Johannesburg instead of safari......as I thought it was:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

It's not on the radio, but it's an Irish Voiceover...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=r3jJ8eHj2Ws

I find this voice to be condescending, with it's D4 pronunciation of vowels!

Who is this person and how can I hire them as a VoiceOver for a radio ad where I can speak down to the small people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

vector wrote: »
    It's not on the radio, but it's an Irish Voiceover...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=r3jJ8eHj2Ws

I find this voice to be condescending, with it's D4 pronunciation of vowels!

Who is this person and how can I hire them as a VoiceOver for a radio ad where I can speak down to the small people

I've actually heard a lot worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

The Mercedes C-Class (?) ad is wrecking my head. "When your brand is strong, strengthen your intuition" and other such middle-management guff. I actually thought it was satire, then realised it wasn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭depaor01

Ah yes. The Irish Cockney French woman is back. Must be January. Still no real French voiceover people in Air France? C'est Merde!

As for that other discover Hyundai crapology - she sounds like she's auditioning for a dirty phone service... since last November! Remember we used to buy cars? Now we 'discover' them.

Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Ben Dunne gyms: cheaper *then* more expensive *then* .😲

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

New land rover ad.

Woman tells man to stop interrupting her presumably to show how empowered she is .

Why not just not have him in the goddam ad ??

Are stroppy women land rovers new target market ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

The Suzuki car ad - over-excited (and over-acting) idiot telling us how the new suzuki wankmobile or whatever the hell it is called is now all his and we had all better head down to the dealer before all the nice new cars are gone, Gone, Gone! Sure, it they all do sell out (which being Suzuki I would highly doubt it), would they not just import in some more?

What is it about car companies that they seem to believe they cannot advertise cars unless the ads are somehow "funny"? So they go and contract some talentless irish ad agency filled with writers who think they are the next Oscar Wilde who produce terribly unfunny, moronic ads that the car companies review and say - "yes, that suits us just fine - now all we need is some fu*kwit actor to voice the thing".

I find that the toyota ads are patronising and condescending but at least they are not trying to be funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Annoying drone waffle.......espresso,

Annoying drone waffle.......piazza,

Annoying drone waffle.......sorento,

Annoying drone waffle.......pizza,

And of course.....

Rome.

***k off !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

That ad for 3 mobile where the guy is apparently doing business with someone speaking Spanish (I think Madrid is mentioned). Annoying on so many levels: from the hipster Dublin prat going on about "all-you-can-eat dayda" to the assumption that Google Translate will be good enough for dealing with clients, to the casual, snide knock-Johnny-foreigner remark about "whatever the hell she's saying". Gob****es!

fricatus wrote: »
    That ad for 3 mobile where the guy is apparently doing business with someone speaking Spanish (I think Madrid is mentioned). Annoying on so many levels: from the hipster Dublin prat going on about "all-you-can-eat dayda" to the assumption that Google Translate will be good enough for dealing with clients, to the casual, snide knock-Johnny-foreigner remark about "whatever the hell she's saying". Gob****es!
    That one annoys me too. Everything about it. The very idea you might want to actually know a few words of Spanish yourself to do business with a Spanish person. How quaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

fricatus wrote: »
    He might loose his job if he relies on google translator...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

That ad for the play Cripple of Inish Mann or however it's spelled is making me turn over when it comes on. It's been on forever and it's only starting this Friday :( The way he says Mammy at the end really bugs me aswell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement