Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

"Your expectations were probably different for this ad".

Yeah, I wasn't expecting it to be voiced by the ex head of RTE sport

This one was puzzling me cos I didn't recognise the voice..bit arrogant to just assume the listener would! I was wondering if the point was that he had some kind of wonderful exceeding expectations radio voice :D silly ad

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Heard one a few days ago [maybe not an advert] it was telling van drivers to make sur their load was well strapped down and that nothing was loose inside the van cos mistakes like this are costly and dangerous, it really sounded stupid just no need to have this on radio, do they think van drivers do'nt know this already?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,123 ✭✭✭✭L1011

maybe it's giving the impression that she was just having another normal night watching tv and having a drink, when normal things like the phone falling between the cushions happens. it could have been the remote control or her purse???

their point is that it didn't end up a normal night.

it's a daft line in the ad and should be removed, serves no real purpose and confuses the listener.

It's the entire hook of the ad, imply its about losing the phone or whatever first.

They're really bad ads though

I guess the RSA ad overload is because they had a substantial budget for bad weather advertising after last year and the relatively mild winter so far has left more cash around than expected. Use it or lose it applies to those type of budgets

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

L1011 wrote: »
    It's the entire hook of the ad, imply its about losing the phone or whatever first.

They're really bad ads though

I guess the RSA ad overload is because they had a substantial budget for bad weather advertising after last year and the relatively mild winter so far has left more cash around than expected. Use it or lose it applies to those type of budgets

I wonder if that explains those terrible dog-sh1t adverts?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

decky1 wrote: »
    Heard one a few days ago [maybe not an advert] it was telling van drivers to make sur their load was well strapped down and that nothing was loose inside the van cos mistakes like this are costly and dangerous, it really sounded stupid just no need to have this on radio, do they think van drivers do'nt know this already?

Yep, I`ve heard this several times lately and it makes me shout at the radio. Do they really really think we are all idiots. Why would I put something in the back that could decapitate me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭plodder

By law you categorically cannot refuse to be breathalised ? Your Solicitor would be advising you to comply .
    I'll enclose my jokes in appropriate tags in future ..

though .... you might be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I think its a Zurich ad. Sounds like its voiced by Deirdre O'Kane.

It goes on about how the car will drive you and book itself in for the NCT. The car is talking and says I will even walk the dog at a slow speed. The dog then barks...Why does the dog also have a robot bark. Will we not have real dogs anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Any ad with a creepy Santa Claus doing the ho ho ho :mad:

plodder wrote: »
    I'll enclose my jokes in appropriate tags in future ..

though .... you might be surprised.

aww sorry , took you literally :)...........as I said I'm probably being too pedantic about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I think its a Zurich ad. Sounds like its voiced by Deirdre O'Kane.

It goes on about how the car will drive you and book itself in for the NCT. The car is talking and says I will even walk the dog at a slow speed. The dog then barks...Why does the dog also have a robot bark. Will we not have real dogs anymore?

Yes - this is a bad one. Another example of a radio ad written by a talentless or stupid (or both) advertising copywriter compounded by a company that seems prepared to accept any old sh*te from the ad agency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,123 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    I wonder if that explains those terrible dog-sh1t adverts?

Probably. Agencies will be chasing every public/publicly funded body offering any old tosh for the next few weeks + the week after Christmas. No spare space to sell in early December though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Mr E wrote: »
    Toyota Hybrid Ad: "I'm driving my kids to school every morning knowing that I'm making a difference to their future"
    Making them lazy and dependant? :)

Every time I hear this ad, I still think of this contribution and laugh.

I think another round of thankzzz are deserved. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,598 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

The Energia.ie radio ads, aired for the last 2 or so years, is the character in them meant to be Michael D Higgins ???

I f*cking hate those ads.

Hate them every bit as much as those new Bring epic home ads, from the cùnts who brought you Let's make possible.

Make what possible? Stealing someone else's bastardization of the language to make your sh*tty catchphrase?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,056 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

decky1 wrote: »

You'd be surprised how stupid some van drivers are.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

The advert for some concert with a renowned flautist - pronouced like it's a German word, ie, "flou-tist", grinds my teeth.
    FFS, it's not a bleedin' Audi, it's a flute, and flutist is perfectly fine, in fact flautist is the latecomer and is pronounced simply "flawtist".

That Merc ad really baffles me. What about the over grown teenager, Ross O'Caroll-kelly soundalike is aspirational? 'Toadally awesome like you'...please!

You can unlock the car and other various things with your phone..Who do they think their target market Is?
    The more I hear that ad, the more I shake my head. You can pause the music with your phone? Is that legal even, never mind safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭statto25

The more I hear that ad, the more I shake my head. You can pause the music with your phone? Is that legal even, never mind safe?

You can pause the music with your voice and unlock the car with your phone...Aaaaawwwwssssoooooommmeeeee

statto25 wrote: »
    You can pause the music with your voice and unlock the car with your phone...Aaaaawwwwssssoooooommmeeeee
    You're right. It is voice control. I missed that with my general annoyance toward the ad.

I heard the flout-ist one this morning, along with an ad for the Kia Sport-aw-ge
    (long "aw" and soft "ge"). I guess they are appealing to the Hyacinth Bucket types who wouldn't dream of keeping their Sportidge in a garidge. Cars ads are so good at appealing to our inner (and outer) snobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,810 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You're right. It is voice control. I missed that with my general annoyance toward the ad.

I heard the flout-ist one this morning, along with an ad for the Kia Sport-aw-ge
    (long "aw" and soft "ge"). I guess they are appealing to the Hyacinth Bucket types who wouldn't dream of keeping their Sportidge in a garidge. Cars ads are so good at appealing to our inner (and outer) snobs.

Check out the pronunciation of Flautist in dictionaries or online pronunciation guides. The first result I get on Google gives three alternatives. My Chambers Dictionary lists two. As with thousands of other words, there is more than one standard form in use.

Check out the pronunciation of Flautist in dictionaries or online pronunciation guides. The first result I get on Google gives three alternatives. My Chambers Dictionary lists two. As with thousands of other words, there is more than one standard form in use.

Yeah, dictionaries are good at that - confirming the ignorant in their ways.
    You know that's all they do, don't you? Recognise that a lot of people use words in certain ways, which is often wrong.
    The net result is we get nonsense like the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,810 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

As well as listing alternative pronunciations, dictionaries also list alternative spellings. As you say this is simply a reflection of how English is used. Your "net" can also be nett.

In a spirit of live and let live I am happy to let people use alternative pronunciations. Either (which can be pronounced two ways) Flawtist or Floutist is fine by me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭alexmalalex

toyota hybrid ad

i droooive moi three children to school....worst d4 monotone

ughhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Yep, I`ve heard this several times lately and it makes me shout at the radio. Do they really really think we are all idiots. Why would I put something in the back that could decapitate me

It's most likely not directed at you personally. I would imagine they're trying to catch the percentage who don't tie loads down, fail to ensure trailers are securely hooked up, leave tools loise in the back. It happens all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

toyota hybrid ad

i droooive moi three children to school....worst d4 monotone

ughhhh

And the bit about only filling the car up every few weeks... that drives Mrs Fricatus cracked, and she very happily drives a Toyota hybrid herself: "Do they think we're that stupid? What if you're up and down to Dublin all the time?" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

fricatus wrote: »
    And the bit about only filling the car up every few weeks... that drives Mrs Fricatus cracked, and she very happily drives a Toyota hybrid herself: "Do they think we're that stupid? What if you're up and down to Dublin all the time?" :D

Plus the fact that by driving her three fat, pampered brats to school (instead of them walking or getting the bus) she is somehow thinking she is making a valuable positive contribution not only to their futures but to the whole future of the entire planet earth also.

I seem to remember a whole espisode of south park being devoted to smug, deluded toyota prius drivers...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,598 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

dogmatix wrote: »
    Plus the fact that by driving her three fat, pampered brats to school (instead of them walking or getting the bus) she is somehow thinking she is making a valuable positive contribution not only to their futures but to the whole future of the entire planet earth also.

I seem to remember a whole espisode of south park being devoted to smug, deluded toyota prius drivers...

Also, it's not quite saving the planet, but if you let the precious little oafs walk it would help just a little bit with the school traffic, which is a bleedin nightmare for people actually trying to get to places they need to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Toyota hybrid ad...

".. de priiiizze ol-day..":D

I'm not sure that I like the direction that this whole Wiltshire Farm Foods advertisement is going. Jimmy doesn't even realise that he's being groomed. Fast forward two years and it will be a different script.

Oul Biddy: "Oh Jimmy that was fantastic, even better than last week".
    *Jimmy pulls back the bedsheets and slowly gets out of the bed*
    Oul Biddy: "It's there on the dresser".
    Jimmy: "ehm... thanks".
    *Jimmy takes his twenty pound note from the dresser*
    Oul Biddy: "I'll see you next week, and I'll be looking for more than just the half portion. hahaha"
    *Smacks then Jimmy on the ar$e as he makes his way out the door*

"De fuel, d'tax, d'insurance.... das price of a holiday".

Could these people not get shills who at least have some basic use of the f**king language?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

.. have some basic use of d'f**king language?

Fixed your post. :)

The whiny "Whyyyy" girl in the Europecar ad is starting to grind my gears. If you know the ad, you'll know who I'm talking about.

There is also an ad for a Renault van (I think) being narrated by a french lady (while the sound of someone revving the absolute shite out of the engine plays in the background). I'm not sure if that's a dig at Renault, the French or women drivers (?), but the sound effect makes me wince.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement