Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,554 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

We only say Lieberry in Febry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

That home gin/gym, which we are supposed to find hilarious, really gets on my nerves. It's stupid and not funny at all.

It's the "useless husband" and "long-suffering wife" meme again! But in this case they forgot that the scenario shows the woman up as being utterly dependent.

SHE wants the home-gym equipment but instead of just buying it herself, she abdicates all responsibility to her husband, who apparently mis-hears her and buys everything he thinks SHE wants for home gin distillation.

Christ, these sexist "useless husband" and "long-suffering wife" ads are annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Christ, these sexist "useless husband" and "long-suffering wife" ads are annoying!

And don't forget that "online shopper of the month" from the nasal Fair City woman. She orders him to do some menial task before continuing her shopper-tastic actions. How f**king difficult is it to get online insurance, really?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,822 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

We only say Lieberry in Febry.

Fine. You carry on talking like a bogger, then.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    That git who uses google translate to listen to his Spanish business partners while he smiles and nods.
    Do the advertisers actually stop and think that perhaps portraying a goon who is so gormless that he uses google translate and still doesn't understand what his business partners are on about is possibly not exactly a positive message?
    I suppose it sounded great in the ad office and somebody got a pat on the back.
    I'd have given them a kick up the hole.

yes, this add Irks me, its so stupid, i think its the same add that goes "who's on line minutes and 21......'big pause', 22 seconds" fu*k me, its ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

I wonder does Ben Dunne write those anti FlyFit ads himself?
    how the add was pitched...

Advertising exe “so mr dunne, you want to do an Radio Add for your GYM ….?”
    Ben Dunne: “…yes, it’s a great gym, its cheap, very cheap and….cheaper then my competitors....”
    Advertising exe “great, that’s probably all we need, we can hit those key points quite easily, and tastefully….”
    Ben Dunne: “BEN DUNNE wasn’t finished…….”
    Advertising exe “oh, sorry, mr Dunne, please continue….”
    Ben Dunne: “BEN DUNNE requires that my name is constantly repeated during the add…..”
    Advertising exe “am, ok, but in my experience people don’t like Adds where we repeat names and places over and over again…”
    Ben Dunne: “BEN DUNNE Doesn’t care. BEN DUNNE does what he likes, BEN DUNNE Orders you to make it happen…..”
    Advertising exe “Ok ok, sure no problem, we can do it, 100%…but Can I ask, why do you refer to yourself in the third person all the time..????”
    Ben Dunne: “BEN DUNNE!! BEN DUNNE !!, BEN DUNNE !!
    Advertising exe “*Christ*”

• Registered Users Posts: 55,455 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Is it just me or are there more annoying ads than usual?
    It's so bad to the extent that I change channel as soon as the ads come to avoid the aural minefield.

"Oim Droiving Moi 3 kids to work...."
    "De car tax, de insurance..."
    "What do Bill Gates and Blackrock have in common?"
    "I'm a receipt with a creepy voice who you've just put in your pocket... pal"
    "You unlock it with your phooooooone..... aw-aw-aw-aw-awwwwwesome!"
    "He's been on the phone to his new Spanish partner for 14 minutes and 36... no 37 seconds..."
    "That boa constrictor would make a great family pet. The kids would love'eh."
    "I am your car... from the future. Woof woof."
    "I am your fridge... from the future. Go on go on go on."
    "You need a lesson in vanonomics, my friend...."
    Plus the Centra ads with the annoying music....

I nearly miss the good old days of Bothar ads, demented curly pieces girl and the Barry's train ad.

Nearly.

"You can't read the mind of a cyclist, and they obviously can't read the Rules Of The Road".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,783 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That fertility clinic one... "..your fertility journey..."

Corporate speak...Every sodding thing now has to be a "journey". Narrated by that woman with the gushing voice who features on every 3rd or 4th ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭plodder

"You can't read the mind of a cyclist, and they obviously can't read the Rules Of The Road".
    As an occasional cyclist, that one annoys me, though for a different reason. "You can't read the mind of a cyclist" makes it sound like cyclists just whimsically go any direction they feel like at any particular instant, which in most (though I would accept not all) cases is not true.

Bikes can't go through pot-holes for example, which is why motorists need to give them 1-1.5 metres of space. Fortunately, most pot-holes are smaller than a metre in size. So, once you give them that much space, there shouldn't be a problem.

Bikes also need to pass obstacles like parked cars, just the same as other cars do. There's really no excuse for being surprised by a cyclist pulling out to pass a parked car.

So, for the most part, you can actually read the mind of a cyclist. :D

• Advertisement

plodder wrote: »
    As an occasional cyclist, that one annoys me, though for a different reason. "You can't read the mind of a cyclist" makes it sound like cyclists just whimsically go any direction they feel like at any particular instant, which in most (though I would accept not all) cases is not true.

Bikes can't go through pot-holes for example, which is why motorists need to give them 1-1.5 metres of space. Fortunately, most pot-holes are smaller than a metre in size. So, once you give them that much space, there shouldn't be a problem.

Bikes also need to pass obstacles like parked cars, just the same as other cars do. There's really no excuse for being surprised by a cyclist pulling out to pass a parked car.

So, for the most part, you can actually read the mind of a cyclist. :D
    I had my bike stolen last year, and the more I walk around Dublin, the less inclined I am to get on the bike again. At lunchtime today, I was crossing the road at College Green, when a bus overtook a cyclist and must have been less than ten inches away from him - the cyclist, understandably shaken - hammered his hand on the side of the bus and got off his bike.

The road infrastructure in Dublin is incredibly weak for cyclists. I'm not going to start cycling here again until it improves. But if it's this bad in Dublin, imagine how bad it must be in rural Ireland and in smaller cities? We're still behaving as though this city is only for motorists and buses, and that needs to change.

By the way, I'm also a driver, so I'm not anti-car, or anything like that. I think we need separate spaces where one cannot infringe upon the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

"It's awhahawahawasome." This is the only ad that makes me turn the radio off. Who the f thought this tw*t would convince someone to buy a Merc?

idiot man: "Some things just go together"
    idiot woman: "Like tea and toast".
    idiot man: "That's a good one."

*I shove both of them off a cliff*

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭depaor01

"It's awhahawahawasome." This is the only ad that makes me turn the radio off. Who the f thought this tw*t would convince someone to buy a Merc?

He follows that up by saying "Just like you!"

Talk about adding insult to injury. Awful b0110ck5.

Another Allo Allo type accent ad, ze new Kranzle powerwasher ad with Herr Flick of ze Gestapo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Rory has gone from the new Elephant Self Storage Ad to be replaced by a female but at least she has retained the iconic 'nought, nought, nought, nought' bit. Strangely I think that she says Elephant Storage and has dropped the Self but on their website it's still 'Self'. https://elephant.ie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

depaor01 wrote: »

That Mercedes ad. "Moders"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There's some car advert now where the guy says H'Awesome, just as he's fake laughing.

Really grates on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

depaor01 wrote: »

Agree, can’t help thinking the lad needs a stiff Church town shoe driven into the b0110ck5.

Agree, can’t help thinking the lad needs a stiff Church town shoe driven into the b0110ck5.

Brendan, you seem to have a lot of pent up anger issues there and I thought that I was bad. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Brendan, you seem to have a lot of pent up anger issues there and I thought that I was bad. :D

You could have something there, in fairness.

Now if I could unload a very firm clog into the nutpurse of that dude who does those hotel programmes, Brennan is it, it would ‘un pent’ a fair bit of bile.

Sorry if a tad off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

AIB are back with their “backing belief in brexit” or some such drivel – complete with the same “heroic” musical score last used in their shellfish picker ads from last year. You know the one, where some gobsh*te is convinced that a bunch of blokes who head out onto mudflats in wellie boots and tractors looking for shellfish, are “the last of the hunter-gatherers”. At the time, I found it hard to equate a bloke in a plastic mac, gumboots and holding a bucket and spade as being the same category as a mighty fur clad neanderthal throwing a pointed wooden spear at a 10 ton mammoth. AIB really are full of it. The brownstuff that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,554 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

dogmatix wrote: »
    AIB are back with their “backing belief in brexit” or some such drivel – complete with the same “heroic” musical score last used in their shellfish picker ads from last year. You know the one, where some gobsh*te is convinced that a bunch of blokes who head out onto mudflats in wellie boots and tractors looking for shellfish, are “the last of the hunter-gatherers”. At the time, I found it hard to equate a bloke in a plastic mac, gumboots and holding a bucket and spade as being the same category as a mighty fur clad neanderthal throwing a pointed wooden spear at a 10 ton mammoth. AIB really are full of it. The brownstuff that is.

On the plus side there were no goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Another Allo Allo type accent ad, ze new Kranzle powerwasher ad with Herr Flick of ze Gestapo.

Who is that guy that does that voice over? He did a particularly irritating one for rhinestones as well a few months ago.

Who is that guy that does that voice over? He did a particularly irritating one for rhinestones as well a few months ago.

He appears quite regularly, what annoys me is that instead of getting a real German or French person (come on, even in Ireland they're not hard to find) just get a regular Paddy from the voiceover stable to put on a silly accent.

To be fair, the Italian kitchen people did have a real Italian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

On the plus side there were no goats.

The bothar goat – my own personal bugbear. Only 10 months to go until he is back again. Still, in the meantime I can wallow in the luxury of hating the Mercedes “Aaahhhhsome” guy.

"Hello, I'm your fridge from the future" aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Del.Monte wrote: »
    "Hello, I'm your fridge from the future" aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Is that voiced by Deirdre O'Kane??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Is that voiced by Deirdre O'Kane??

Yes, that's definitely one worth putting a boot through the radio for.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    Yes, that's definitely one worth putting a boot through the radio for.
    An absolute dose.

Sorry - nothing sexist about this, but she does my head in. Can't understand the appeal at all. It's as if someone told your most annoying first-cousin that she could do stand-up.

Stop, Deirdre, please stop.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement