Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before, and it's not a specific ad, but that English guy that's featuring all over the place in radio ads is slowly getting on my nerves, and I'm English myself!!

He was originally confined to local ads for car dealers etc. on East Coast FM, but he seems to be everywhere these days.

There's just something about him that I dislike, probably the overdone theatrical style, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Alun wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before, and it's not a specific ad, but that English guy that's featuring all over the place in radio ads is slowly getting on my nerves, and I'm English myself!!

He was originally confined to local ads for car dealers etc. on East Coast FM, but he seems to be everywhere these days.

There's just something about him that I dislike, probably the overdone theatrical style, I don't know.

It is funny how certain voices get on my nerves. There is this bloke who does the Sunday Independent ad I cannot stand - "...the complete read". I imagine he is supposed to sound cultered but I always find him patronising and condescending. He used to do a lot of the banking ads, especially AIB from the late 1990's and on which kind of makes sense.

And I just heard the annual high blood pressure ad from bothar this morning. Goat and his friends talking about using their own s*it to fertilise the ground and such. Jesus wept - the annual nightmare begins...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,216 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

dogmatix wrote: »
    And I just heard the annual high blood pressure ad from bothar this morning. Goat and his friends talking about using their own s*it to fertilise the ground and such. Jesus wept - the annual nightmare begins...

:eek:

Not those kernts again.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

Hyundai? Hyundai. Hyundai? Hyundai. Hyundai? Hyundai. Hyundai? Hyundai. Hyundai? Hyundai. Hyundai? Hyundai. Hyundai? Hyundai. Hyundai? Hyundai.

Hyundai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

...Hodor? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

There's a desperate ad on at the moment for a new sandwich in O'Brien's -the "Cubano".

It's bad enough listening to some of these ads if you're pedantic about the English language, but I also speak Spanish, and this just grates on me. The guy puts on this accent to say "Hola Cubano" but says it like "Ol-la Kew-ban-no" :eek: which would have him put straight back into the Remedial class if he was doing Spanish in school. I didn't know someone could make so many pronunciation mistakes in only two words! :rolleyes:

fricatus wrote: »
    There's a desperate ad on at the moment for a new sandwich in O'Brien's -the "Cubano".

It's bad enough listening to some of these ads if you're pedantic about the English language, but I also speak Spanish, and this just grates on me. The guy puts on this accent to say "Hola Cubano" but says it like "Ol-la Kew-ban-no" :eek: which would have him put straight back into the Remedial class if he was doing Spanish in school. I didn't know someone could make so many pronunciation mistakes in only two words! :rolleyes:

Ah yes – O’Briens sandwich bars with their “handcut/handcrafted sandwiches” - handcut? how else would they be cutting them and why is that somehow worth advertising? And of course their “gourmet coffee”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Similar to one ad about some guy talking to a work colleague in Madrid, who happens to have a Mexican or South American accent. Just like anyone else in Madrid :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,599 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

The accent sounds more authentically Cuban than a f*ckin roast pork and ham sandwich.

I was there for 3 weeks fairly recently. Never in that time in any house, hotel, cafe or even guide book did I ever come across a sandwich that was anything like what's described in that ad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Has anyone heard the fantasy lights ad? Whats with the creepy "Yeaaah" right at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Barry's "tea" ad is back

Barna77 wrote: »
    Barry's "tea" ad is back

Who are you, Rip vanWinkle?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The worst ad on at the moment is for Dacia Duster. At the start sounds like the guy is having a peddle n crank, then goes on about, the kind of car you'd swipe right on, the kind you'd do the dirt with.

Sounds like a right old sleaze.

Dirty aul fella in a Dacia Duster - yuk!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,116 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

anewme wrote: »
    The worst ad on at the moment is for Dacia Duster. At the start sounds like the guy is having a peddle n crank, then goes on about, the kind of car you'd swipe right on, the kind you'd do the dirt with.

I noticed in one ad they've started pronouncing it the same way their customers would.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

(Didn’t mean to “like” your post :D)

I actually like this ad , he doesn’t sound sleazy . It’s like the Bradys Irish ham ad , maybe it’s the same guy ?
    And maybe I like it cos I drive a Dacia !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

Barna77 wrote: »
    Barry's "tea" ad is back

That ad goes on forever .

It's excruciating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

The Laya Health ads are back for another round of fun and screaming. Wonderful. Although this one isn't as bad as the tumbling down the hill or kickboxing ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

There is an ad on the radio promotion some hotel & spa . . . And it is a complete copy and paste job from the "barry's tea" christmas ad!

5555555555 wrote: »
    That ad goes on forever .

It's excruciating.

Is that the ad where everything is repeated twice - "kid: look what santy brought..." Adult: look what santy brought...". Kind of gets on my nerve after repeated listenings. Mind you there are worse xmas ads out there....

• Advertisement

And the Opel 120 year birthday ad - the one with the moron in the van somehow thinking he and the boss are going to some birthday party is starting to annoy.

BUT - for a bit of balance... the "produced in ireland" ad makes me smile every time I hear it. The one about BallyKiltyFeely sausages. Now that is a clever little bit of humour and it gets the message across in a straight forward fashion also. Kudos to the ad agency for that one.

My favourite all time xmas ad has to be the Andrews Liver Salts ad from the 1990's - Bloke in a strong dublin accent singing about the virtues of Andrews Liver salts to the tune of a 1920's jazz song: "was it the chilly, after the cha-cha, is 'dat why yer tummy is suddenly 'atcha, wha?".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

The McCauley chemist chain.

"The Giftmas Season..."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,675 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Alun wrote: »

Brian De Salvo perhaps.

https://ie.linkedin.com/in/brian-de-salvo-a7031818

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

(Didn’t mean to “like” your post :D)

I actually like this ad , he doesn’t sound sleazy . It’s like the Bradys Irish ham ad , maybe it’s the same guy ?
    And maybe I like it cos I drive a Dacia !

Ahhh stop! Im in knots here.

He sounds like he is literally jerking off........I think he is a dirty sod. I always talk to that ad when it comes on the radio...I tell it to f the f off.

I knew I had another one I hated.

the Boots "she's my Mum" now has a singing version with an Irish Accent on the radio with different lyrics.

Hateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Trebor176

It's that time of year again folks! Goat is back. Well, on 4FM at least.

"De fuel, d'tax, d'insurance.... das price of a holiday".

Could these people not get shills who at least have some basic use of the f**king language?

Why the fcuk would they when half the kernts in the country don’t have basic use of the language.

Fcuking ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,992 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A Dacia Duster (stupid name) would be the most unlikely thing to admire, let alone crack one off over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,599 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

The McCauley chemist chain.

"The Giftmas Season..."

We have all the gifts you need. Like perfume, and, y'know, other gifts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement