Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berite and the boys get pay rise!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Cnuts!

Pretty much sums it up.
    Every few months this shower seem to get a 10-15% pay rise.

Wouldn't give a damn TBH if they were actually doing something useful but they clearly aren't..
    10bn (atleast IIRC) wasted in the last few years.
    Health Service a mess, Crime, Roads etc etc...

Glad to see 90% of people on this thread are not happy with this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

EoC wrote: »
    Annoyed then please sign and pass on petition

http://www.gopetition.com/online/14927.html

Regards EoC

Just filled this in and sent an email to a load of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Out of all my mates, 2 of us work in public sector, and 9-10 in private sector. I guarantee the private sector guys are all earning 20-60K more than either of us
    Leave it out.
    Irish Public Service 2001-2006: Salaries up 59%; Payroll up 18% - 38,000 workers and Pensions up 81.3%

The increase in the average industrial wage for a male worker in the period 2001-2005, was 19%.
    And a full pension is actually half your salary.
    Wrong.
    A private sector worker can provide for the equivalent of a public service pension for a maximum of two-thirds of final salary for retirement. However, 28% of salary would have to be put aside every year for 40 years to do so.
    The later you start it, then yeah, you might have to pay half your salary to have a pension worth anything. But that would be your own fault...
    Wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

ScumLord wrote: »
    How many Taoiseach's operate in the Private sector? This is garbage. Who apointed this independant body and do they go to the same dinner partys as bertie?

Very good point.

Most TD's are either teachers, publicans, solicitors, doctors(real ones:))...good professions one might say.

Bertie is supposed to be an accountant:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertie_Ahern
    'He has also claimed, or it was claimed by others on his behalf in circulated biographies, that he was educated at University College Dublin and the London School of Economics. Neither university has any records that show Ahern was ever one of their students.[2] He worked in the Accounts Department of the Mater Hospital, Dublin, from where he is still technically on a career break. He has often been described, and has referred to himself, as an accountant. As there is currently no legal definition in Ireland of the term accountant this is technically correct. But he is not a qualified chartered, certified or public accountant. On the 8 October 2006 the Irish News of the World described him as 'an accounts clerk.' [5] He is an honorary member of the Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy.'

Whether he is a real accountant or not, he won't get 310k in that profession in the real world
    Thing is most TD's/ministers don't earn 310k in the real world so this comparison with the private sector is a load of bulls**t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

http://www.gopetition.com/online/14927.html

Regards EoC

Ye might as well go and have a **** as to sign a petition...

FF do not care, they are in for another 5 years and they couldnt give a damn what anyone in the country thinks..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Do you think Fine Gael would do any better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Terry wrote: »
    Do you think Fine Gael would do any better?

Well they couldn't do much worse, and they deserve a chance to fail.

And they will have their chance. Hopefully they turn out to be a bit more forward looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Online petitions aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

Does anybody believe Fine Gael when they say they would have refused to accept the increases if they were in office (Irish Times, p1 today) ?

Not I said the cat....

FruitLover wrote: »
    Online petitions aren't worth the paper they're not printed on.
    Fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

In a week where you hear about a hospital without hot water and poor cap-in-hand Bertie getting a €30k+ (tax free I presume) pay rise it smacks of arrogance just like his [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Haughey]former employer[/url] who:
    ... spent large sums of these funds on Charvet shirts and expensive dinners in a top Dublin restaurant, while preaching belt-tightening and implementing budget cuts as a national policy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

YOU
    GET
    WHAT
    YOU
    VOTE
    FOR

vote FF N01

FFS what is with you people. FF fleeced you after the last election and now their more popular then ever. Your more to be pittied then laughed at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

To play devil's advocate here. i think running the country is arguably worth almost 400k per annum.

US and UK presidents etc don't give themselves massive pay because they make enormous money when their terms are up.

And he did a good enough job to get re-elected, so some people must think he's doing a good job?

I don't live in Ireland anymore, so it's nothing to do with me. But 380k doesn't seem an outrageous wage to be responsible for the running of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

I'm glad I'm getting shot of this country and moving to a country where you can get prosecuted for crushing beer cans with yer jugs

Only 105 posts?

Christ. Us mods get more than that and we do it free. Some of us were elected too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Oprah winfrey earns 225million dollars a year for sitting on her arse and talking all day.

And yet there is people here complaining that the man who RUNS THEIR COUNTRY earns 310,000 euro a year..

So i'm assuming if all of you who are complaining were in the same position you would turn down a payrise ha! Please...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Well, Bertie said we would all have to tighten our belts...if giving yourself a pat on the head & a 14% pay rise isn't tightening your belt, then I don't know what is. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

baraca wrote: »
    Oprah winfrey earns 225million dollars a year for sitting on her arse and talking all day.

yeah , but she's better looking than bertie :) and thats only 156.42million euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭paconnors

What do you think will happen before the next election at the budget they will give the oap a rise in pension and the will win on the OAP vote.

Thats my 2 cents

marcsignal wrote: »
    yeah , but she's better looking than bertie :) and thats only 156.42million euro

Suppose, So she only earns more than 156million a year more than bertie, And she isn't that great lookin'! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

The difference is that Oprah is not being paid with taxpayers' money.
    And yet there is people here complaining that the man who RUNS THEIR COUNTRY earns 310,000 euro a year..

The fact that he's running it badly seems lost on you. Anyway, it doesn't appear to be a particularly difficult job since an illiterate college drop-out like Bertie can do it. ;)
    So i'm assuming if all of you who are complaining were in the same position you would turn down a payrise ha! Please...

We are not in charge of giving ourselves payrises. He's not accepting it from someone, he's giving it to himself - big difference.

Bertie and all ministers are public servants and paying them this amount of money for a job that requires no apparent skill or ability other than popularity is ridiculous. Let's not forget that he's getting more than almost every other politician in the world - do you honestly think that 'leading' a country of just 4 or 5 million people justifies this amount?

Edit: Let's not forget that he's eyeing up a cushy number in Europe for his 'retirement', so it's not like he has to make his money now while he's in office. And don't forget the full government pension!

I'm very curious as to what he needs the extra cash for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Myth wrote: »

Probably doing up his house :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Also, everyone whould write an email to their local TD.

Here is a list of contact numbers - search by name or constitunecy. (We're in 30th Dail..)

http://www.oireachtas.ie/members-hist/default.asp?housetype=0

Just listening to the radio to people having to wait 18 months for a driving test. Think how many extra testers you could get for €16million..

This government makes me sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭emmagean

From Wikipedia.....
    The Mugabe administration has been criticised around the world for corruption, suppression of political opposition, mishandling of land reform, economic mismanagement, and deteriorating human rights in Zimbabwe.

Some of that seem familiar?
    Maybe I'm being way too harsh, but........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 buckie

paconnors wrote: »
    What do you think will happen before the next election at the budget they will give the oap a rise in pension and the will win on the OAP vote.

Thats my 2 cents
    between oap and civil servants votes should see them right for next election.

im off now to start me own political party
    cant beat them goin them

2Scoops wrote: »
    The difference is that Oprah is not being paid with taxpayers' money.

The fact that he's running it badly seems lost on you. Anyway, it doesn't appear to be a particularly difficult job since an illiterate college drop-out like Bertie can do it. ;)

We are not in charge of giving ourselves payrises. He's not accepting it from someone, he's giving it to himself - big difference.

Bertie and all ministers are public servants and paying them this amount of money for a job that requires no apparent skill or ability other than popularity is ridiculous. Let's not forget that he's getting more than almost every other politician in the world - do you honestly think that 'leading' a country of just 4 or 5 million people justifies this amount?

Edit: Let's not forget that he's eyeing up a cushy number in Europe for his 'retirement', so it's not like he has to make his money now while he's in office. And don't forget the full government pension!

Fair enough :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyStones

Myth wrote: »

The price of prawn sandwiches have recently increased in Old Trafford:)

and by the looks of his gut, he eats plenty of them

Gurramok, please do not post any more unfounded allegations against anyone.

If you can provide proof that this person is guilty of these accusations, I will happily restore your post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

poor bertie and the boys and girls in the dail need a rise and after all they are not getting much! poor berty is only getting 1.5times the average income as an increase ha well think its shameful that they have all accepted these increases including the greens!

Advertisement