Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berite and the boys get pay rise!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

timmywex wrote: »
    Taoiseach to receive €38k pay rise
    Thursday, 25 October 2007 16:27
    The Taoiseach is set to receive a pay rise of €38,000 a year, which will bring his annual salary to €310,000.

:mad::mad::mad:

I'm a working in a low paid job in the Civil Service, and along with Personnel NOT giving me my TINY increment (well to them it's tiny, to me it is MASSIVE - about a full tenner a week like!:rolleyes:Well, it genuinely IS alot to me) this year, because I had a few sick days in the previous 12 months (not even two weeks altogether), they refused a Medical Certificate for a day I took off a few weeks ago because the didn't recieve it within 7 days?! I was sick for three weeks, and went to work every day coughing and spluttering all over the place with colleagues even telling me they "caught" my illness from me. Anyways, I took ONE day off to go to the doc to get anti-biotics etc.(A thursday and came back to work on the friday even though doc had said "how long do you want cert for???") As my Supervisor wasn't available to give my cert to I gave it to him a few days later and he sent it to personnel. Personnel had the cheek to send back my cert to me saying it was a "general enough rule" not to accept a Cert 7 days after an illness?!!?!?! hello? It was signed by my doctor and dated etc A$$$$$$$$$HOLES!!!!! they'd do anything to save a few bob in order for the big lads to live the high life!!!

They're taking money from us poor and giving it to the rich - go figure!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Really? That's why teachers, nurses, civil servants, etc can't afford to buy a house... FFS, its only at the very top that these pay rises are happening, the rest of us aren't getting 30% pay increases I can assure you. That's why I'm paying nearly 50% of my net income on a mortgage...... way overpaid me bollix! :rolleyes:

I retract my sweeping generaliation that 'the public sector' are overpaid.
    But elements of the public sector are without doubt overpaid, and have way more holidays and benefits than the private sector.

On that list would be Government officials, RTE, Prison guards and probably Berite, whoever that is. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Outer Bongolia

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Wtf has Gerry Ryan got do with this?

Gerry Ryan is involved with EVERYTHING

We are also paying his wages. Bertie gives better value. 500,000 of Gerry Ryan's income goes on steaks and wine.

But seriously, in the present climate, looking at the earnings of CEOs and solicitors, I would have thought Bertie would get a lot more

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭daniel3982

I'm going to name my son Berite in honour of this amazing news. Hopefully he too will be rich and provide for me in my retirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Dont blame me, i didnt vote for him.
    rot in hell bertie, you're the worst thing to ever happen to this country. Even the famine had its good points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Really? That's why teachers, nurses, civil servants, etc can't afford to buy a house... FFS, its only at the very top that these pay rises are happening, the rest of us aren't getting 30% pay increases I can assure you. That's why I'm paying nearly 50% of my net income on a mortgage...... way overpaid me bollix! :rolleyes:
    You can get a mortgage can't you?

Most of the private sector actually earn less than their public sector counterpoints at this stage and we certainly don't have the same job security, state guaranteed pensions, flexibility in the workplace or other benefits.

Have to admit, I'm beginning to think the only way this country can be saved is through a series of assasinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

it's still only one third of what Pat Kenny earns

so the real question here is:
    why is Pat Kenny still on television

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

phasers wrote: »
    so the real question here is:
    why is Pat Kenny still on television

Regardless of earnings that alone worries me, he's awful at interviewing people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Tbh, the public sector are way over paid anyhow, it's a joke, it should of been addressed long ago. It costs €247k per year to keep a prisoner in Portlaoise Prison, a lot of that is down to the massive wages prison guards are on, not to say they don't work hard, it's exorbitant.
    It will be interesting to see how this plays out when the economy runs full tilt into a wall over the coming years, as I'm fairly sure it will. Will it be spliffs or sedition, I wonder?
    l3LoWnA wrote: »
    :mad::mad::mad: They're taking money from us poor and giving it to the rich - go figure!!
    How much do you pay towards your pension? Because if you were in the private sector, you'd have to be saving around half of your pay for 30 years to receive a similar pension. But of course benchmarking doesn't take that into account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Outer Bongolia

So whoever becomes the next Taoiseach, Brian Cowen or Enda Kenny or whoever, will have this big shiny new package waiting for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Savman wrote: »
    I hate Berite.

QFT. Although if my name was Berite, you'd have to give me a few bob every time my name was printed. I can only imagine the slagging he gets in the pob having a few pintes with the lades.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Sleepy wrote: »
    You can get a mortgage can't you?

Most of the private sector actually earn less than their public sector counterpoints at this stage and we certainly don't have the same job security, state guaranteed pensions, flexibility in the workplace or other benefits.

Have to admit, I'm beginning to think the only way this country can be saved is through a series of assasinations.

Out of all my mates, 2 of us work in public sector, and 9-10 in private sector. I guarantee the private sector guys are all earning 20-60K more than either of us, depending on how successful they've been (one or two haven't gone that far but are still on much better money). Agree on the assassinations though. I have my hitlist drawn up...
    How much do you pay towards your pension? Because if you were in the private sector, you'd have to be saving around half of your pay for 30 years to receive a similar pension. But of course benchmarking doesn't take that into account.

Well lets see, I was 7 years temporary before they'd even give me a permanent contract, so I'm now buying back those 7 years at 4K a year just so I'll have 40 years service instead of 33 when I retire. On top of that, I'll have to make AVCs when I can afford it after finishing paying off that 28K.

Contrary to public opinion, people in different sectors of the public service have different terms of employment, including different pension rights. For instance, Defence Forces get full pension after 21 years, guards after 30 years, my section 40 years. Not sure about Civil Service. And a full pension is actually half your salary.

I started paying into a private pension when I was temporary, and bacause I started young I wouldn't have to pay half my salary as you suggest to get a decent pension. Can't pay into it anymore due to tax penalties. The later you start it, then yeah, you might have to pay half your salary to have a pension worth anything. But that would be your own fault...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Fuck Bertie right in his stupid fucking ass!!!

/rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Well for Bertie & his mates. Its no coincidence this happens as soon as an election is out of the way. I still haven't even got me 3% due under towards 2016. I was due that pay rise last year and I'm still waiting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Thats a separate issue, we have a housing bubble.

If your paying 50% of your wages on a mortgage it sounds like you borrowed wayyy too much.

Consider those of us on less than teachers, nurses, civil servants, etc, we are all in the same boat on the housing issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Any unproven allegations of corruption will result in a ban.
    Carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

the bastards can make sure they get paid and I dont even get my fees paid in uni.. feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

The Irish Dail only sits 96 day's of the year. Why are we comparing them with the private sector? Let them work a 40 hr week and then we can compare them. And constituency work my ass.

Anyone that voted for this proven shower of money wasters has no right to complain now. The writing was on the wall.

What pisses me off is half the people gripeing will still be stupid enough to go vote FF at the next election because that's Daddy and Mommy's party. Cop on.
    I started paying into a private pension when I was temporary, and bacause I started young I wouldn't have to pay half my salary as you suggest to get a decent pension. Can't pay into it anymore due to tax penalties.

What tax penalties are you suffering for a pension? I'm a tax consultant. PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

ROFL
    Too true, too true...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭EoC

Annoyed then please sign and pass on petition

http://www.gopetition.com/online/14927.html

Regards EoC

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Signed. I was just about to post one meself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

anyone know of a good Grass Knoll in drumcondra?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Signed. Bertie apparently has defended the pay rise, talk about pure ignorance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

gurramok wrote: »
    Signed. Bertie apparently has defended the pay rise, talk about pure ignorance

To be expected ,Politicians do not do modesty just inflated egos and self worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The body has recommended that Mr Ahern's salary be increased to €310,000 per annum to match the equivalent private-sector wage.
    How many Taoiseach's operate in the Private sector? This is garbage. Who apointed this independant body and do they go to the same dinner partys as bertie?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Just mailed that petition to my entire address book!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I have another idea, email the link to the Wiki page on Benchmarking to the offending Review body:

info@reviewbody.gov.ie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benchmarking

The concept is obviously alien to them

Collapsing health service? Pay freeze in health sector? Finance minister telling us to 'tighten our belts'? Increase of 50% in murder rate?

Pay rises & backslaps for everyone in the audience!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

That money was just resting in his account :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

blah wrote: »
    According to Wikipedia*
    President of USA $400,000 = €281,452
    Prime Minister of UK £187,611 = €269,324

*not necessarily reliable

I'd like to firstly say 1. I'm a capitalist and 2. I run a business. My point being I have no issue with anyone's pay per se.

But these pay rises are out of ****ing orbit. This means Bertie get's more than the US President, the Prime Minister of the UK and the German Chancellor... WTF? We are on an economic downturn and it time for the boys at the top to jack up their pay. If this was a corporation and figures were not up to expectations there would be murder from the shareholders if they got pay rises like these. Well I'm a shareholder in this particular corporation and I'm pissed off. **** Fianna Fail.

Advertisement