Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Truckload of dell XPS's going tomorrow

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Zab wrote: »
    Starting price is a little higher (over 1000), but I wouldn't imagine you'd get one for less than 1300 anyway. The ones for tomorrow are already being bid on. They're beasts though.

€1300 for that spec would be great. I wish I wasn't broke. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

Just won an auction for a Dell 9200, then I was told they do not accept Paypal and I have to call the 1850 number to place the order. Which means Buyer protection on eBay is not available.

If I knew this I wouldn't bid on this. Is it too late now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Canonfan wrote: »
    Just won an auction for a Dell 9200, then I was told they do not accept Paypal and I have to call the 1850 number to place the order. Which means Buyer protection on eBay is not available.

You realize that you're buying directly off Dell right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Canonfan wrote: »

It always helps if you read the auction details before bidding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

I'm new to eBay, I thought everybody accepts paypal.

Anyway, as Zab said I am buying from Dell.

Will place the order first thing in the morning.

Cheers OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

have another look, some estimates of the price to buy some of the
    parts below, and these are estimates based on the lowest from a site like
    komplett,

All new, Dell's are refurb's are they not?
    Therefore you wouldn't expect to pay new prices for them, would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ChowChow

I won an auction on an XPS 710 last week - came to 1000 including delivery. The 720 was nice but a bit saucy on price, most of them come in at 1700 or so.
    Mine was brand spanking new, the case was covered in tear-off plastic sheeting. The box it came in weighs a ton, I had some trouble getting it out of the car without doing my back in. The system itself is whisper quiet - the fans rev up a bit at startup but after that pretty silent. The 710 has a 750W PSU which I presume will handle another 8800GTX down the road? There is 2GB of RAM - fairly slow PC5300 (667Mhz) which is a bit crap in a system like this. I think the Nforce 590i motherboard only supports these speeds. Then again when you're gaming at 1900x1200 I think the GPU is the bottleneck, not memory bandwidth! All in all a superb bit of kit, no regrets at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭cps_goodbuy

I've bought two in the past, no problems at all, brand new machines at a third what they cost normally. I hear that most are actually just machines where their orders were canceled.

BTw, I'd say the current ones are brand new, completely brand new!

Dell have had a large drop in sales, but want to keep their production up for the time being, so are selling surplus on ebay, while still covering their production costs. It's a clever idea, they are probably adding 5-10% percent and just letting people add more.

I suggest just watching the items, mark out pc's that you want, make a budget, wait until a min left, and bid up to your budget. Easy.

Just avoid bidding wars and items with a high number of bids. And becuase they come on daily, please don't compete against each other to get one, the result only drives the price up! I once saw a machine that went for over the dell.ie price by 200euro!!

Incidently, I'm going to buy a laptop for my college work placement please don't bid against me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TonyM.

Did you have to tell everybody i have been trying to pick up one cheap for the last week . You forgot the cooling system add €300

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

okidoki987 wrote: »
    All new, Dell's are refurb's are they not?
    Therefore you wouldn't expect to pay new prices for them, would you?

Refurbished means they have a tiny scratch on the case or something, which never affects the performance of the machine. Honestly in all the pc's I've bought I've never even seen any scratches. For all intensive purposes they are new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

ahhh, I was planning on buying a pc on ankermann for around 600.. but this is soooo tempting, I mean, looking at the spec of that xps710 it would cost me around 1400 to build a similar system on komplett (including the cost of the os there)

Im pretty sure this would be plenty of power for at least 2 years and will play pretty much any game at the moment including bioshock?? Correct??

Edit: Actually they seem to be selling off old stock with regards to the xps 710? Its no longer available on the dell site.

DingDong wrote: »
    Why not put round figures?

Say you want to get a dimension 9200, if you are clever, you log into ebay and check 'completed items' from that seller (in this case Dellfactoryoutlet). You may find the lowest a similar dimension went for was say 500 euros. You may pick that as your final and only bid on the machine (which is what you should always do on ebay, pick the highest you'd pay and put in on in the last few seconds)..

500 is never a good idea, because its such a round number, other people may pick it too. I don't just go for 501 or 502 either, other people will do that. I go up to say 506.99, because 7 euros is nothing and most people would bid 500 to 505 OR their next bid would be 525 in which case you'd loose out too much.

Its just people's bidding patterns. There's also better times of the day to buy, etc, etc.

If you are worried about the seller, well just check, whats their approval rating? 98% and higher - good, over 1000 items sold - good.

ab_cork wrote: »
    ahhh, I was planning on buying a pc on ankermann for around 600.. but this is soooo tempting, I mean, looking at the spec of that xps710 it would cost me around 1400 to build a similar system on komplett (including the cost of the os there)

Im pretty sure this would be plenty of power for at least 2 years and will play pretty much any game at the moment including bioshock?? Correct??

Edit: Actually they seem to be selling off old stock with regards to the xps 710? Its no longer available on the dell site.

The 8800 GTX is basically the best graphics card you can get. Those XPS's can play almost any game out now at highest settings.

Even the normal bog standard Dell's have easily enough power processor/ram wise for the latest games, but like most other PC's they lack a good graphics card.

I bought a refurb PC for about 300 euros and just added a 140 euro graphics card and it can play all the latest games no hassle.

Here's a quick list of good graphics cards
    Nvidia 7900 GS/GT/GTX, 8800 GTS/GTX (the 8600's are not great)
    ATI/Radeon 1950 pro/XT 2600 pro/XT

Go to www.tomshardware.co.uk to see the performance of all graphics cards compared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Actually they are trying to get rid of old stock..
    The XPS 710 has been discontinued by dell and the QX6700 has been discontinued by intel, this is probably the last of those pc's.. an excellent deal I must say.. Now I dont really NEED one since I only game every few weeks but its oh so tempting..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

I got mine yesterday for 910 and my co conspiracy partner for the day got his for 930 ish.

Now... I just have to seel off my brand new Vostro 200 @ 301 Euro and my old XPS gen 4!

Then counseling for this addiction for buying PC stuff...

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 rossallan

Got one yesterday for 930, very happy :)

How long does delivery normally take?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Just a couple of questions on these....
    Someone here mentioned an extra 300e for the watercooling on the 720. Is this something extra that needs to be bought or is the 720 ready to go out of the box?
    Would it be safe to say that one of these would be pretty future proof for a few years?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Yep..there are two versions of the XPS720..one with watercooling and one without.
    You can buy one without and purchase the cooling later one which is easy to fit. They run nice and cool as well.
    All in all the 720's are a great price especially considering they're dual raptor hard drivers and dual 8800GTXs.

So these ones on offer don't have the watercooling as standard?
    What would be a good valve price for a 720? When do I stop bidding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

What would be a good valve price for a 720? When do I stop bidding?

The 710 were going for about 900 yesterday and the 720 were 1400-1500

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭iwhelan

Would these be good for video editing purposes? Also, can I easily install XP instead of Vista?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

All the 720s I saw had liquid cooling, none of the 710s. If you look at the spec it should say H2C somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

iwhelan wrote: »
    Would these be good for video editing purposes? Also, can I easily install XP instead of Vista?

More than enough..plus it's no problem installing XP instead of Vista (providing legit copy :) )

Is there any advantage for using XP as opposed to Vista?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Is there any advantage for using XP as opposed to Vista?

Yeah, its quicker.... On the 710/720 Vista should shoot along, plus u need it for the DX10 gfx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Dang yeah..........Just got it €914.13.....

8 Seconds to go bang,blew everyone out of the water....

Call of Duty Full HD here I come...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I was thinking about it, but all i need is a 8800gtx for my own system it'll be on par with the dell. Deep breaths Ross..... Put the credit card away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I will be selling my Vostro 200 Mini Tower in Adverts if anyone is interested?

8 weeks old...As new,comes fully boxed etc...

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6550 Processor (2.33GHz,1333MHz,4MB cache)
    2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
    256MB BFG 7950GT Factory Overclocked,Life Time Warranty
    HARD DRIVE 320GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA/100 Hard Drive with 16MB DataBurst
    16x DVD +/- RW Drive
    1 Year Business Hardware Warranty
    Windows® XP Professional

Scores over 6000 on 3d mark 2006 and I will include a few of the latest games in with it (Tomb Raider Anniversary,Stalker,Dirt etc)

It will play everygame out there on high settings including Call of Duy 4,Bioshock,Medal Of Honour Airborne etc

Graphics card is very fast...

ioeyba.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

Last time i looked at the bargain alerts i got myselfe a Dell 24" + computer for 600,, now i just got a 720 for 1,458.97..

Hope its not outdated already :confused:

Base: Dim XPS 720 H2C Core 2 Quad-Core Prsr 2.66GHz

CD/ RW: DVD+/-RW (read/write)

DVD Drive: MOD,DVD-ROM (Reader) 16X IDE

Hard Disk Drive: 160GB HD Serial ATA non Raid (10000 Rpm)

Hard Disk Drive: 500GB HD Serial ATA2 (7200 Rpm)

MISC: Floppy Drive Not included

MISC: Mouse Dell Wheel USB 2 Button Scroll Black

MISC: Dell Quietkey Black Keyboard

MISC: English - XPS 720 H2C System Docs (UK power cord)

MISC: Dimension Resource DVD for Vista Drivers

Memory: 2GB MB Dual Channel DDR2 800MHz [2x1GB]

Software: English - Microsoft Works 8

Sound Card: Sound Card Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme

Video: Graphics Dual 768MB NVidia GeForce 8800 GTX

Video: 128MB Ageia PhysX PCI Card

Operating System: English Windows Vista Home Premium

• Advertisement

Last time i looked at the bargain alerts i got myselfe a Dell 24" + computer for 600,, now i just got a 720 for 1,458.97..

Hope its not outdated already :confused:

Base: Dim XPS 720 H2C Core 2 Quad-Core Prsr 2.66GHz

CD/ RW: DVD+/-RW (read/write)

DVD Drive: MOD,DVD-ROM (Reader) 16X IDE

Hard Disk Drive: 500GB HD Serial ATA2 (7200 Rpm)

MISC: Floppy Drive Not included

MISC: Mouse Dell Wheel USB 2 Button Scroll Black

MISC: Dell Quietkey Black Keyboard

MISC: English - XPS 720 H2C System Docs (UK power cord)

MISC: Dimension Resource DVD for Vista Drivers

Memory: 2GB MB Dual Channel DDR2 800MHz [2x1GB]

Software: English - Microsoft Works 8

Sound Card: Sound Card Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme

Video: Graphics Dual 768MB NVidia GeForce 8800 GTX

Video: 128MB Ageia PhysX PCI Card

Operating System: English Windows Vista Home Premium

That is one sick PC.. the mad thing is, you can always overclock it too at a later date

Advertisement