Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast Feeding In Public.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Was in the Blanchardstown SC and one of the retuarants there - Roasters I think it is - has a sign on the door saying something like "breast feeding welcome here". Very strange sign I thought, but personally I couldn't care less once the person isn't jumping about making a big deal about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

farohar wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong here but AFAIK men, although we do have nipples, and sometime moobs, do not actually have mammory glands, and so cannot actually breastfeed others.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Male_lactation

In any case, I think the real question here should be "how many people who don't have a problem with breastfeeding in public have a problem with peeing in the shower?"

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

farohar wrote: »
    Otherwise what's to stop some couple enjoying very open and public foreplay under the pretense of breastfeeding?

I n fairness, it's hard for a 25 year old woman to pass off her , lets say 27 year old, boyfriend as her own breastfeedng child.

People need to get out more if they have problems with breastfeeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

99% of mothers in Norway with small children breastfeed. The OP should move there for a few years so he can grow a pair.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

Steyr wrote: »
    So i was in Dublin last weekend gone and was with 2 mates coming out of Easons and in front of me passed a woman breast feeding her child as she walked out in public, was it wrong of me to be totally disgusted by this?
    Anyone who is totally disgusted by the sight of a breastfeeding mother must have a pretty low threshold as to what's disgusting.
    And as for this bit
    For Example i believe there is a time and a place for everything and this is not the first time, ive seen it happen in fast food places Nationwide and other places and people have just moved away from the person breast feeding as it put them off their food.
    How do you know that's why those people moved? Maybe they'd finished their dinner, maybe they wanted to give the woman a bit of privacy and yes maybe they were disgusted, but unless you actually marched up to them and asked "Did the sight of a breastfeeding Ma put you off your Big Mac?" and they said "Yes sir, it did. So we moved", you can't possibly know that.

I don't see why anyone gets their knickers in a twist about seeing a mother breastfeeding a baby. Who is it harming?
    And as has been said, speaking as a bystander, I'd far rather a mother get on with the job than having the baby wailing the place down because he's hungry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyStones

Yes breast feeding is natural, but so is taking a dump!!
    you don't see to many people taking a sh*te on a main street :):)

GET A ROOM WOMAN:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I breastfed all my babies. I had to breatfeed them in public on a number of occasions, once when I was stuck in a slow-moving queue in Dublin Airport. It was either that or listen to her scream (and you would hear her in Australia when she screams!). But I'm so discreet nobody would realise what I was doing. I feel sorry for anybody who has a problem with that.

GET A ROOM WOMAN:mad:

If your going to try be funny, you could at least try something that hasnt been said on the thread already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

esel wrote: »
    99% of mothers in Norway with small children breastfeed. The OP should move there for a few years so he can grow a pair.
    A pair of what? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ceidefields

Technical point to whoever said you couldn't walk around while breastfeeding - if the baby is properly latched on then it's definitely possible to walk around.

Anyway, I breastfed my son for a year and then stopped (if you're old enough to ask for it...) and I don't think I would have strolled around Eason's while breastfeeding him. That said, if someone else did it, I wouldn't be DISGUSTED by it! I would be a little surprised but that's it.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    If your going to try be funny, you could at least try something that hasnt been said on the thread already.

Sorry , i don't find it that interesting of a topic and couldn't be arsed reading all posts:)

Sorry , i don't find it that interesting of a topic and couldn't be arsed reading all posts:)

No problem, sure thats exactly what the rest of us think when we see your name on a post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Zing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Well said. Ooh i think i have hit a nerve with certain females here....:rolleyes: There is a time and a place for everything.

Yeah you're right. There is a time and a place for everything when there is a screaming, hungry baby involved.
    The time is usually NOW and the place is usually HERE!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

2 stroke wrote: »
    I havn't read the whole thread as I'm just popping in but I would like to say I think it's disgusting seeing a woman with perfectly good breasts bottlefeeding a baby.

This is also pretty offensive - I know your making a point, but there may be factors involved here with a women bottle feeding too - mastitus, ebm, latching problems ect ect the list is endless.

Maybe everyone should just mind their own! World would be a much less mopanier place :D

2 stroke wrote: »
    I havn't read the whole thread as I'm just popping in but I would like to say I think it's disgusting seeing a woman with perfectly good breasts bottlefeeding a baby.

Define "perfectly good breasts" . Feel free touse pictures to better explain your point for the men and women in the public gallery.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

boreds wrote: »
    Yeah you're right. There is a time and a place for everything when there is a screaming, hungry baby involved.
    The time is usually NOW and the place is usually HERE!

Give the baby a baby bottle with the shaped nipple on it then.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Breast milk is considered better for babies. Sure, the mother can express breast milk into a bottle but what if she runs out. Plus, what if her breasts start leaking due to the baby's cry.

Pick your most nutricious food (one you like obviously) now substitute it with a differently tasting alternative thats not as good for you, just because someone else thinks so.You ok with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Why bother carrying a plastic bottle and formula when you have what you need attached to your chest already. Some women feel like they don't want to be hauling around their magumbos for most of their lives, for nothing (other than for men to look at while we are talking to them)
    I'm not going to have a go at you for feeling uncomfortable. I'm sure it makes many people uncomfortable, and they don't know where to look. Thats not your fault, it's just because it is not common enough yet to be re-accepted by everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

If you think having your dinner and having a ****e are the same thing then remind me never to go to your house for grub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Pick your most nutricious food (one you like obviously) now substitute it with a differently tasting alternative thats not as good for you, just because someone else thinks so.You ok with that?
    What if it's.....

Dumplings_01.jpg

No problem, sure thats exactly what the rest of us think when we see your name on a post.

Oh so you've noticed me around?:eek:

If you think having your dinner and having a ****e are the same thing then remind me never to go to your house for grub.

OK then your not invited :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

LadyE wrote: »
    This is also pretty offensive - I know your making a point, but there may be factors involved here with a women bottle feeding too - mastitus, ebm, latching problems ect ect the list is endless.

Maybe everyone should just mind their own! World would be a much less mopanier place :D

No offence meant but while there may be factors that mean a woman can't breast-feed, there generally is no medical reason why not. It's most likely down to the woman's own attitudes, attitudes which have been formed in large part by the attitudes of those around her.

I've heard women say "f that, me tit's are me own, I'm not feeding him all night, his Da can give 'im 'is bottle in the middle of the night". Fair enough, that's her own choice, definitely not medical. I've also heard women come out with "Oh, but it's so sore....the midwife keeps telling me I'm not doing it right and trying to show me but it's just too sore so I'm not doing it". Again, no medical reason, the woman's just not really interested in learning how to do it properly and is glad of an excuse to stop. I've even heard women come out with absolute crap like "Oh I had C-section and they were trying to get me to breastfeed but I read somewhere on the net that you shouldn't breastfeed after a C-section because......." Utter rubbish but she's just looking for an excuse.

Why do these women not feel comfortable breast-feeding? Why do they want to use any excuse to bottle-feed instead?
    1. Convenience.....anyone can feed the child a bottle.
    2. Societal attitudes.....I won't be able to go out and about because I might have to feed the baby in public.

Those of you with the attitudes: just look away and keep your attitudes to yourselves. Nobody wants or needs to hear them. Breast is better. Deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

So i was in Dublin last weekend gone and was with 2 mates coming out of Easons and in front of me passed a woman breast feeding her child as she walked out in public, was it wrong of me to be totally disgusted by this? Like come on isnt this why they invented baby bottles with the teet shaped like a nipple?? For Example i believe there is a time and a place for everything and this is not the first time, ive seen it happen in fast food places Nationwide and other places and people have just moved away from the person breast feeding as it put them off their food.

What is your view on this? Do you agree or not that there is a time and a place for this?

A breastless upbringing? 'Fastfood places like Nationwide' you're really observant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

dame wrote: »
    No offence meant but while there may be factors that mean a woman can't breast-feed, there generally is no medical reason why not. It's most likely down to the woman's own attitudes, attitudes which have been formed in large part by the attitudes of those around her.

I've heard women say "f that, me tit's are me own, I'm not feeding him all night, his Da can give 'im 'is bottle in the middle of the night". Fair enough, that's her own choice, definitely not medical. I've also heard women come out with "Oh, but it's so sore....the midwife keeps telling me I'm not doing it right and trying to show me but it's just too sore so I'm not doing it". Again, no medical reason, the woman's just not really interested in learning how to do it properly and is glad of an excuse to stop. I've even heard women come out with absolute crap like "Oh I had C-section and they were trying to get me to breastfeed but I read somewhere on the net that you shouldn't breastfeed after a C-section because......." Utter rubbish but she's just looking for an excuse.

Why do these women not feel comfortable breast-feeding? Why do they want to use any excuse to bottle-feed instead?
    1. Convenience.....anyone can feed the child a bottle.
    2. Societal attitudes.....I won't be able to go out and about because I might have to feed the baby in public.

Those of you with the attitudes: just look away and keep your attitudes to yourselves. Nobody wants or needs to hear them. Breast is better. Deal with it.

But we shouldnt assume and judge someone (altho EVERYONE does it) we dont know whats going on really. Appearances can be decieving as they say :D

I agree with your post in the whole - and those excuses are shocking (but true)

Breast is best and people should deal with it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

a bird used to do it in bewleys blackrock years ago, the trouble was, she was a rotten hippie in her late 30's with tits like john waynes saddles bags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OUCH

• Advertisement

Mairt wrote: »
    OUCH

TROLL:D:D

:cool:

Advertisement