Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast Feeding In Public.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Senna wrote: »
    think that law is about pregnant women, a police officer has to give them there hat to pee in, and that law is still official in England.

Maybe that exists also, but the dump one exists.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I love quoting myself.
    As the Rig licks his lips wishing he was a baby once again?

Gosh people, we are all animals and feeding a child is so natural a thing to do. Why do people get so uptight about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭echter

simple as - if you don't like it don't gawp at her actually even if you do like it don't stare. she's just feeding her baby.

breasts are for food primarily so i think women, well the smart ones should do a boycott on men touching their boobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Breastfeeding I can live with. Changing the babies nappy by laying him down on the table or the seat beside is quite another and I've seen it more than once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

Steyr wrote: »
    in front of me passed a woman breast feeding her child as she walked out in public, was it wrong of me to be totally disgusted by this? Like come on isnt this why they invented baby bottles with the teet shaped like a nipple?? For Example i believe there is a time and a place for everything and this is not the first time, ive seen it happen in fast food places Nationwide and other places and people have just moved away from the person breast feeding as it put them off their food.

Gosh you really do not have a clue do you ?
    If you have so much interest in breastfeeding perhaps you should ask this question on the parenting forum and read up on it and see for yourself why people do it then make a good judgment.
    Good luck to whoever is going to be your wife and mother someday, perhaps they could cover themselves up from face to feet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Can't say that I've ever seen it but don't think it'd bother me, just deal with it the same way as I deal with people kissing/groping on the street, pay no attention and get on with whatever I'm doing.

The one problem I could possibly see is that I remember there being a documentary on mums who pretty much refused to ween their kids, so even at 10 years of age their kids were still being breast-fed (and one of the women I worked with once expressed the oppinion that 3 years old was too young to stop so I wouldn't be surprised if she tried to keep at it for as long as possible), so perhaps some sort of grey area WRT the age of the person being fed leading into clear public indecency. Otherwise what's to stop some couple enjoying very open and public foreplay under the pretense of breastfeeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,754 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

esel wrote: »
    Stay out of Dublin then. We don't want any more narrow-minded rednecks here. Y'all have a nice day now! And leave those sheep alone - now that's disgusting. :eek:
    QFT.
    esel wrote: »
    Ooh i think i have hit a nerve with certain females here....
    ...and one or two males, me included. Cop on there Steyr. It is a very natural thing to do. Just because bottle-feeding became more popular in the last 40 years or so due to aggressive marketing campaigns by big nasty food companies doesn't make what comes naturally to a mother to be disgusting.

Do you work in marketing for SMA or Cow & Gate? ;)

Mind you - It is beyond me how she managed to feed the child when walking. She must have taped the kids head to her breast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

echter wrote: »
    breasts are for food primarily so i think women, well the smart ones should do a boycott on men touching their boobs
    No way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

fine if its a woman but I would not be happy if men started doing it..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

fine if its a woman but I would not be happy if men started doing it..

Correct me if I'm wrong here but AFAIK men, although we do have nipples, and sometime moobs, do not actually have mammory glands, and so cannot actually breastfeed others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Wook wrote: »
    If you have so much interest in breastfeeding perhaps you should ask this question on the parenting forum

Shít Stirrer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

ah its a natural thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Shít Stirrer.
    LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I actually only ever SAW a lady breast feed in public once, and thought it was a very beautiful and natural thing to do.

The lady was sitting opposite me in a cafe & we got chatting, it was lovely and I'll always remember it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

You only ever saw it once.......

What a touching post sir,well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

ive seen it happen in fast food places Nationwide

Some might consider breast feeding as 'fastfood'.
    If everyone can have fast food -- then why not babies?

(EDIT -- making a play on the word 'fast' -- as fastfood is obviously somewhat unhealthy where as breastmilk is one of the healthiest things you can give your baby)

I think it's very natural... it's not like as you sit beside a lady on a bus she pulls out her breast and forces you to watch her breastfeed. A lot of women do it as discreetly as possible - some women even put a blanket across their shoulder so as to keep it private. They don't strip off to do it either - most just lift their tops a little.
    Breastfeeding is best for the baby and the mother (helps tighten up the muscles in the womb(not exactly but something like that) / help that area get back to pre-pregnancy state)
    And as was already mentioned - a baby's cry will make the breasts swell up with milk/ and potentially leak and be sore.

I know some people don't like the sight of it - its not something to be gawked at either - just look straight ahead and don't stare if it makes you uncomfortable (like you would an over zealous couple on a date). Surely a glimpse of a mother feeding her child can't make you that repulsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Build a bridge and get over it. Sheesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

think its grand, weird though i was on holidays for 3 weeks in venezuela this summer and i must have seen at least half a dozen women breastfeeding. Do Irish women do it less publicly then most ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

It's just feeding a child... no problem with it at all.

I remember being in a city centre pub one Saturday afternoon. A woman with a baby came in and whispered something to the woman behind the bar. Nods were exchanged and the woman with the baby asked the few of us in the place if we would be embarrased if she fed her baby there, as there was not really any other choice for her. We had no problem at all... we're all lefty tree-huggers though!! Had a nice chat with her as she had a glass of water, a sandwich and baby was happy guzzling away at the nipple. Breasts cease to become sexual objects in situations loke that. I should also say, she was really discreet and if she had not told us her intentions we probably would not have even noticed.

Breast feeding is grand, it's better than hearing some baby cry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

SetantaL wrote: »
    Build a bridge and get over it. Sheesh.

Oh how original :rolleyes:

Actually its "Oh cry me a river, then build a bridge and get over it".

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

My missus breast feeds, she has it down to a fine art and with the correct clothing and our baby positioned a certain way there is no nipple exposure at all. But still the easily disturbed like the op have trouble dealing with it. Thankfully they are few and far between. Most regular folks simple glance, think "Oh there's a women breast feeding. Now to get on with things that concern me and my life."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

I can understand why it would make some people uncomfortable and I'm probably one of those people but in fairness a lot my mum's tend to put a blanket around baby and over their shoulder so there's minimum exposure (well in my experience)

If you don't like then don't look!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

in front of me passed a woman breast feeding her child as she walked out in public, was it wrong of me to be totally disgusted by this?

Wow
    It's been a while since I've read so much ignorance in one tiny sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Doesn't bother be in the slightest, can't see what's so disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I really dont understand what's wrong with it. What's the difference between looking at a naked women in a magazine, etc, and a woman breastfeeding? For that matter, I'm sure men would have no problem latching on themselves!! (Not to breastfeed obviously!!)

Oooh Gerry Ryan just announced that smells from breastfeeding woman can put other women in the mood for sex. I'm sure the OP is rushing out the door to get a breastfeeding woman to stand next to a hot girl in the hope that the hot girl will have sex with him!! :p

MoominPapa wrote: »
    My missus breast feeds, she has it down to a fine art and with the correct clothing and our baby positioned a certain way there is no nipple exposure at all. But still the easily disturbed like the op have trouble dealing with it. Thankfully they are few and far between. Most regular folks simple glance, think "Oh there's a women breast feeding. Now to get on with things that concern me and my life."

If she is going to get her baps out, she should at least have the decency to flash a bit of nipple.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Oh how original

Actually its "Oh cry me a river, then build a bridge and get over it".

wow, Thank you.

And what do YOU think is wrong with the health service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

The-Rigger wrote: »
    ....How come? :p

Actually I've heard that it's legal to sh1t in public because in the eyes of the law it is something you don't have control over, and if a policeman stumbles upon you, he is required to give you his hat (to sh1t in).

Now while it sounds highly implausible to me too, but the person who told me was insistent that this law (albeit, old law) exists.

lad at work thinks the same think

are you from mayo

• Advertisement

rbd wrote: »
    lad at work thinks the same think

are you from mayo

Dublin. It's an archaic law that apparently exists in merry old Eng-ger-land

Advertisement