Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast Feeding In Public.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Dublin. It's an archaic law that apparently exists in merry old Eng-ger-land

a lot of those alo laws from british times were wiped last year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

star-pants wrote: »
    Some might consider breast feeding as 'fastfood'.
    If everyone can have fast food -- then why not babies?

I think it's very natural... it's not like as you sit beside a lady on a bus she pulls out her breast and forces you to watch her breastfeed. A lot of women do it as discreetly as possible - some women even put a blanket across their shoulder so as to keep it private. They don't strip off to do it either - most just lift their tops a little.
    Breastfeeding is best for the baby and the mother (helps tighten up the muscles in the womb(not exactly but something like that) / help that area get back to pre-pregnancy state)
    And as was already mentioned - a baby's cry will make the breasts swell up with milk/ and potentially leak and be sore.

I know some people don't like the sight of it - its not something to be gawked at either - just look straight ahead and don't stare if it makes you uncomfortable (like you would an over zealous couple on a date). Surely a glimpse of a mother feeding her child can't make you that repulsed.

Sorry to pick - but this statement implies that breastfeeding is unhealthy.

Fast food equals (mostly) unhealthy.

Breastfeeding = Fast food = Unhealthy

When it couldnt be further from the truth. People arnt happy at all, I dont know why bottle feeding would be considered to be the "norm" when it clearly isnt. These women are breastfeeding because they know its better fot their baby - people who thnk its "dirty" and "unnatural" should deffo grow up and do a bit of research.

Breasts are not there to be gawped at or fondled by men, they are there SOLEY to feed and provide nutrican to children.

Edited to add - I agree 100% with the rest of the points made in the quoted post.

If seeing a women breastfeeding makes you feel uncomfortable - no-one is asking you to look

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Don't have an issue with it here - baby's hungry, **** happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Actually I've heard that it's legal to sh1t in public because in the eyes of the law it is something you don't have control over, and if a policeman stumbles upon you, he is required to give you his hat (to sh1t in).

Now while it sounds highly implausible to me too, but the person who told me was insistent that this law (albeit, old law) exists.

His hat? where do people come up with this stuff. Indeed a law was enacted back in the day that if you had to sh*t in public an officer of the watch was oblidged to cover you with his cloak to prevent public indecency. It was also illegal to urinate in publin anywhere in the Pale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

LadyE wrote: »
    Sorry to pick - but this statement implies that breastfeeding is unhealthy.

Fast food equals (mostly) unhealthy.

Breastfeeding = Fast food = Unhealthy

Sorry LadyE -- perhaps I should have phrased it better -- obviously fastfood is mostly unhealthy and breastfeeding IS healthy.
    I meant 'fast' ... sort of taking a play of words - as in as adults we don't have to wait til we get home to have private feeding - so why should babies -- if the food (aka breastmilk) is readily available.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Shít Stirrer.

euh ? :)
    what, when , why ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Wow the amount ov vitriol in this thread, so the OP has a problem with a woman breastfeeding in front of him. What's all this bull**** about grow up or get over it ? It makes some men uncomfortable regardless of wether it's "perfectly natural" or not, hairy armpits are perfectly natural as well yet I don't particularly like them on women. TBH it depends on how it's done, if it's reasonably discrete fair enough, but I have seen women do it almost agressivly staring at anyone who dared to look and you could just tell they were waiting to be outraged if anybody objected. If you want to breastfeed in public OK but just as you expect people to be understanding of what you are doing, you should be understanding of other peoples feelings as well, I think a bit of give and take is in order here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Bitty Mammy! Bitty! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Steyr wrote: »
    There is a time and a place for everything.

Yeah, when your baby's hungry. I bet you'd be the type to roll your eyes when you hear a screaming child too ..... i know what I'd prefer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Wook wrote: »
    euh ? :)
    what, when , why ?
    Thaedydal moderates the parenting forum - I think what she means is a debate over there on breast-feeding in public is something she could REALLY do with... ;)

• Advertisement

Wow the amount ov vitriol in this thread, so the OP has a problem with a woman breastfeeding in front of him. What's all this bull**** about grow up or get over it ? It makes some men uncomfortable regardless of wether it's "perfectly natural" or not, hairy armpits are perfectly natural as well yet I don't particularly like them on women. TBH it depends on how it's done, if it's reasonably discrete fair enough, but I have seen women do it almost agressivly staring at anyone who dared to look and you could just tell they were waiting to be outraged if anybody objected. If you want to breastfeed in public OK but just as you expect people to be understanding of what you are doing, you should be understanding of other peoples feelings as well, I think a bit of give and take is in order here.
    The hypocrisy though - men would give their right testicles to see as much sexualised tit as possible, but when breasts are exposed (and not even fully exposed) to serve their natural function, then many of said men feel "disgusted".

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Dudess wrote: »
    The hypocrisy though - men would give their right testicles to see as much sexualised tit as possible, but when breasts are exposed (and not even fully exposed) to serve their natural function, then many of said men feel "disgusted".

Very few in this thread have expressed that sentiment.

Also, I wouldn't give either of testicles for the sight of a tit.

Bet you would for the sight of lots of tits. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

WELL SAID. Best post yet.

"Best post yet" how? Just because he agrees with you...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

WELL SAID. Best post yet.

Ok fair point people shouldn't slate you for feeling that way -- but you did ask peoples opinions (and with that - some people are going to see it as a non issue). I understand that some people don't like it, same way some people don't like seeing people kiss/cuddle in public etc. People here are just expressing their opinion on the matter.

EDIT-Actually Dudess said it in less words...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Dudess wrote: »
    "Best post yet" how? Just because he agrees with you...?

Cause it just was ok !;)

Actually I wasn't strictly agreeing, I was saying more that there more sides to this than just either or, and that with a bit of consideration on both sides of the fence this would become a non-issue

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd rather see a baby being breastfeed than listen to the little ****er screeming for tit.

If it creeps you out don't look but there's nothing that can be done to stop it just like there's nothing that can be done to stop the pope ****ing in the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'd rather see a baby being breastfeed than listen to the little ****er screeming for tit.

If it creeps you out don't look but there's nothing that can be done to stop it just like there's nothing that can be done to stop the pope ****ing in the woods.

Could give him an asbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Wook wrote: »
    Good luck to whoever is going to be your wife and mother someday...

If I remember my biology correctly he should already have a mother.

Personally, I think breastfeeding in public should be allowed but discouraged.

For instance, we could allow women breastfeed but not their own children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

Just to clarify the law about on-street dumping on the streets of my native England, with a story of a friend out walking his dog.
    When apprehended by a constable and asked to explain a rancid coil on the edge of the pavement, he said "It's all right officer - it wasn't my dog, it was me".
    Unfortunately I don't think he knew about the hat law. Maybe next time!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Earthhorse wrote: »
    If I remember my biology correctly he should already have a mother.

think about what he said again for a second...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Sorry ...................... What?

Personally, I think breastfeeding in public should be allowed but discouraged.

Heh heh... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Mordeth wrote: »
    think about what he said again for a second...

I knew what he meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

was it wrong of me to be totally disgusted by this?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I havn't read the whole thread as I'm just popping in but I would like to say I think it's disgusting seeing a woman with perfectly good breasts bottlefeeding a baby.

I knew you'd have something to say on this matter! :) Still hankering for a boobies thread? This seems to be the closest you're gonna get for the moment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

2 stroke wrote: »
    I havn't read the whole thread as I'm just popping in but I would like to say I think it's disgusting seeing a woman with perfectly good breasts bottlefeeding a baby.

I think it's disgusting that the attitudes of the OP and others here would be making the woman feel like she has to bottle-feed her baby. Seriously, younger mothers can be put off breast-feeding by the thought of breast-feeding in public and what others will say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyStones

Yes

NO

Advertisement