Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Final '07 - South Africa V England (Saturday 8pm)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

zabbo wrote: »
    Can't argue with them being winners, wouldn't take anything away from them.

Just a feeling the big games didn't live up to the hype.

Looks like the WC Winners will be playing the Baa-Baa's in twickers next month.

Guess who's coaching the Baa-Baa's......yes it is indeed EOS.

So its basically going to be Irish team lining up against them.

Hopefully it wont and i truly hope that the Baa-Baas thrash the living crap out of them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

"Those invited include Jerry Collins and Sitiveni Sivivatu from New Zealand, Chris Latham, Matt Giteau and Rocky Elsom from Australia, and Juan Martin Hernandez and Mario Ledesmo from Argentina.

Stars from nearer home include England's Jason Robinson and Andrew Sheridan, French powerhouse Sebastien Chabal and O'Driscoll's fellow Irishman, Paul O'Connell, while Martyn Williams and Tom Shanklin from Wales have also been invited."

could be interesting indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

ITV boys and Martin Johnson say it was not a try.

They obviously didnt tell there reporter that when during the interview he asked the question "You scored a try didn't you?" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Rugby newbie here...who's the guy who brought out the cup with the 2 kids?
    JEAN PIERRE REEVE-The best French forward of all time..:)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

ITV boys and Martin Johnson say it was not a try.

had a read back and it seems about half and half on here? although it looks like it is a debate about who should get the benefit of the doubt. I thought that was clear, unless the TMO is certain he can't give the try, thats the rule.
    (although in fairness it is a bit random on whether they stick to it..)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Stev_o wrote: »
    Guess who's coaching the Baa-Baa's......yes it is indeed EOS.

So its basically going to be Irish team lining up against them.

Hopefully it wont and i truly hope that the Baa-Baas thrash the living crap out of them

At least we'll get open entertaining rugby. And SA might even win. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Grats SA, glad you had to win it hard.

Hi to all the Irish-Australians, Irish-French and hordes of Irish-South Africans :-)

Trev still thinks it's a try !!

is_that_so wrote: »
    Trev still thinks it's a try !!

Well it should have given as i said alot of tries this tournament have been given for less tries then that.

Agreed it would be good to have consistency but it was clear his toe touched the line for a half a second.

• Advertisement

they seem to be all admitting that it probably wasn't but it would have been nice to give it! wallace is like 'yeah, prob in touch, but it was a good move so they deserved it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

regi wrote: »

Hi to all the Irish-Australians, Irish-French and hordes of Irish-South Africans :-)

:p

This thread has been alot more civilised than I was expecting tbh :)

Mike.

Well it should have given as i said alot of tries this tournament have been given for less tries then that.

we've seen some dodgy touch downs given but I haven't seen anyone put a foot in touch and been given a try (by the tmo)? any evidence for us. happy to be wrong but I think you are massively exaggerating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

is_that_so wrote: »
    Agreed it would be good to have consistency but it was clear his toe touched the line for a half a second.

It wasn't clear at all. If it was then it wouldn't have taken so long for the decision to be made.

England still wouldve lost so no point crying over spilt milk

indough wrote: »
    It wasn't clear at all. If it was then it wouldn't have taken so long for the decision to be made.

Not what I meant to say. From the camera angle behind him it was clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Keith C wrote: »
    England still wouldve lost so no point crying over spilt milk

Not crying, it would have been a totally different game though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Best team won, the silver ferns are going to have some productive WC's from here on.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Keith C, should'nt you be on the paranormal forum, with your ability to forsee all?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

The rules state that if a try is not 100% clear, it cannot be given.

The TV3 commentator, in the studio, middle dude reckons it should have been awarded 'in the spirit of the game'. BS - if there is ANY doubt, its not a try, then it aint.

Crappy win, but a win none the less.

• Advertisement

Thats the rules alright Chaz, but Dickinson clearly said that it was foot in touch, so he had to be 100% sure of that call, just as he needs to be 100% sure if it was a try.

Personally I thought it was a try, but maybe that was my sub-conscious hoping to see a more exciting game.

mike65 wrote: »
    Keith C, should'nt you be on the paranormal forum, with your ability to forsee all?

Mike.

Just add the points Mike fairly simple:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

A great World Cup but that match could've been better. Still though, well done South Africa!

Keith C wrote: »

Just add the points Mike fairly simple:)
    Slow down there Turbo, if England got the try, they wouldn't have spent the last 20 minutes going for another, and would have been dropping into the pocket for 3 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Chaz wrote: »
    The rules state that if a try is not 100% clear, it cannot be given.

The TV3 commentator, in the studio, middle dude reckons it should have been awarded 'in the spirit of the game'. BS - if there is ANY doubt, its not a try, then it aint.

Crappy win, but a win none the less.

Just like France Scotland in this years 6 Nations. Of course it should have been given. A bigger injustice and a less interesting match was the outcome.

copacetic wrote: »
    we've seen some dodgy touch downs given but I haven't seen anyone put a foot in touch and been given a try (by the tmo)? any evidence for us. happy to be wrong but I think you are massively exaggerating.

Putting me on the spot here. Id like to track down one of Tonga's tries i know that one of the lads hits the corner before scoring also Argentina's try under the post was also dodgy and on everyones thought that if theres doubt then it shouldnt be given then that one shouldnt be given either

And anyway if u'v been looking at this forum for the past two months you would have seen time and time again people complain that the TMO was giving tries for the hell of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

SA deserved winners IMO. England fought like they did in their recent victories but this time the opposition was too strong.

I hope people(English media) won't focus on the disallowed try. It was a very marginal call and I think the TMO got it right, but it wasn't conclusive. Similarly, ok Rolland missed obvious crossing by SA but at the same time he should've sent an Englishman to the bin for infringing towards the end of the first half when SA were on the line. The officiating made little impact on the final result tonight in my mind. The better all round side won. Congrats to SA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭RugBeir

Not a very memorable or pretty final IMO.

But well done to South Africa for their deserved victory.

England did extremely well in the world cup and outperformed over prior expectations and coped very well under pressure compared with better teams. Probably the best pack in the tournament.

I think SA were helped in only having a couple of hard matches in the competition. i.e Argentina and England(Final).

France and Argentina by comparison had two hard matches before they reached the knockout stages! With luck in the draw you can reach a semi-final without having a hard match.

Congratulations South Africa - world cup champions again!

Putting me on the spot here. Id like to track down one of Tonga's tries i know that one of the lads hits the corner before scoring also Argentina's try under the post was also dodgy and on everyones thought that if theres doubt then it shouldnt be given then that one shouldnt be given either

And anyway if u'v been looking at this forum for the past two months you would have seen time and time again people complain that the TMO was giving tries for the hell of it.

no absolutely, they have been rotten, but I think this one was bang on myself and I think they are generally much more careful about the in touch ones...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

This may have been asked before but does anyone know what the piece of music played at the start and end of the match is?

Advertisement