Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Final '07 - South Africa V England (Saturday 8pm)

Options
  • 14-10-2007 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Erm...sorry lads i've made a balls of editing some thread titles (and deleted the threads) so please post about the RWC final here.

Comments

Smart money is on SA but there is the fanatical determination of England and the Wilco factor..

Prediction: Great game!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Wilko to kick England to victory. This is going to be one boring match me's thinks . Are all the people ranting on about how SA play 15 man flourishing rugby happy after watching that performance?

These two teams are exact mirrors of each other bar one team has Habanna and the other doesnt.

*Sigh* Oh well i hope im proved wrong and it turns out to be the best final yet

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

SA may not have been fantastic but they still managed to score four tries. Even on a bad day the potential was there.
    Next week could be awful OK . I reckon if SA get a decent lead and force England to play it could be a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

England benefited from Oz and France not playing their normal games are getting involved in slugfests.

SA trusted themselves late in games in 2 tight situations against Tonga and Fiji.

So, if SA stay positive and forget about so called percentages rugby they can pull away. It wont be easy by any means but they have the skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Please Boks. Bring the cup home. It's been 12 long years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Its not a surprise that England and South Africa are in the final. Simply put it was a English club that won the Heineken it was a South Africa team that won the Super 14. In both cases it was a all English and all South Africa final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭ThomasH

Wilko to kick England to victory. This is going to be one boring match me's thinks . Are all the people ranting on about how SA play 15 man flourishing rugby happy after watching that performance?

These two teams are exact mirrors of each other bar one team has Habanna and the other doesnt.

SA scored 4 tries (almost 5). Two intercepts and the other 2 was great finished play but the backline. Please explain how it is a mirror of Eng's game when they could only score 1 try in their last 2 matches??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

SA have no chance. This is an outstanding English side who look unbeatable at the moment. SA will be outclassed by the hugely expansive game England have employed in recent games. I just don't know how the boks can cope with the pace out wide and in the centre that the English possess.

SA have no chance. This is an outstanding English side who look unbeatable at the moment. SA will be outclassed by the hugely expansive game England have employed in recent games. I just don't know how the boks can cope with the pace out wide and in the centre that the English possess.
    In your dreams mate...England can't score tries and live of the mistakes of the opposition and rely heavily on Johnny Wilkinson. Both Aus and Fra were afwul against Eng and in those two games Eng only scored 1 try against SA's 9 tries in their past 2 games. It will be a tight game controlled by the forwards but SA's backs will have an edge of the Eng back. Jason Robinson will be difficult to stop though.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

em easy now.. i think marshy was being sarcastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Marshy wrote: »

England do have a very good defense, though, and unlike argentina they'll win their own line out ball and possibly will have the edge in the front row at scrum time. i think South Africa have a superior back row but it won't be enough. England to win on penalties by three points or more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Stev_o wrote: »

Ah come on...

England have Robinson!!
    SA have Burger, Steyn, DuPreez, Matfield.
    England don't have players of that quality.

I think Steyn and Montgomery combined are a force to equal Wilko when it comes to kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

England havent a chance in hell of winning the final, unless SA completely fail to turn up like Aus and France did.

England are completely unable to score more than 15-20 points, any side that can will beat them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Inquitus wrote: »
    England havent a chance in hell of winning the final, unless SA completely fail to turn up like Aus and France did.

England are completely unable to score more than 15-20 points, any side that can will beat them.

Exactly! England cannot score tries and that is evident throughout their campaign. All SA have to do is score two tries and the rest will follow. England will have to try attack using their back row and the interceptions will come thick and fast!
    Backing the boys!! Various people have been saying watch league rugby if you want to see try's, that is rubbish! Any world class team should be able to score try's against world class opposition, england have failed to do this. They have failed to score trys because they rely to heavily on their forward pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

Is it possible for both teams to lose?

Feeling a little grumpy as I don't want to see England retain the world cup yet at the saem time don't want the Boks (marginally less arrogant than the All Blacks) to win it.

Saying South Africa play an expansive game is laughable. England and South Africa will have exactly the same game plan. The edge for the Boks is as someone said the ability of Habana to nick a try out of nothing. Thats very effective but hardly back play.

I'll say England to win an incredibly dour match 11 to 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

vorbis wrote: »
    Is it possible for both teams to lose?

Feeling a little grumpy as I don't want to see England retain the world cup yet at the saem time don't want the Boks (marginally less arrogant than the All Blacks) to win it.

Saying South Africa play an expansive game is laughable. England and South Africa will have exactly the same game plan. The edge for the Boks is as someone said the ability of Habana to nick a try out of nothing. Thats very effective but hardly back play.

I'll say England to win an incredibly dour match 11 to 9.

Would you not consider Habana's first try decent back play?? Don't forget that the Boks put 4 tries past an Argie defence that had allowed less than that through in the previous WC games in total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

SA should win the final. They won't let the occassion get to them ala NZ. So confident/arrogant.

Only things going against them could be their discipline and the fact that England are the underdogs and have less to lose, they should be able to cope with the scrum, line out is superior, 9 12 13 11 and 14 far superior, 15 is probably better but not in attack.

The only time SA looked vulnerable in the whole world cup (I am not counting the 2nds team v Tonga when they had won the group) was when they were 20-20 against Fiji, and look how they reacted to that; no panic, and 17 points in the last 10 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Exactly! England cannot score tries and that is evident throughout their campaign. All SA have to do is score two tries and the rest will follow. England will have to try attack using their back row and the interceptions will come thick and fast!
    Backing the boys!! Various people have been saying watch league rugby if you want to see try's, that is rubbish! Any world class team should be able to score try's against world class opposition, england have failed to do this. They have failed to score trys because they rely to heavily on their forward pack.

you're right. how good was Wilko kicking all those points against Tonga and Samoa;)

shame they didn't score a try against France's world class defence as well:rolleyes:

Marginally less arrogant?? That is hilarious as you don't have to look further than the Irish captain Brian O'Driscoll went it comes to being arrogant. But then again it might just be confidence and passion ;)
    Well then enlighten us to your expert knowledge of what an expansive game is. SA in this WC did play a very expansive game but also had a good balance between backs and forwards on the occasion when it was required. They can run it out wide and scored tries and still involve their forwards in the running.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

See this notion of teams "not turning up". What is it really supposed to mean?
    It's been said over and over again in this WC. It makes no sense.

Any team that goes to the World Cup in any sport goes there to play their socks off and beat all the other boys. If the other team on the day stifles them and doesn't let them play, surely that means the other team have just done their homework better and know how to stop them? Why is that a bad thing? Surely it is a creditable thing to be on the winning side, when you've stopped your opponents in their tracks. Saying that team X or team Y didn't turn up suggests that those teams weren't trying. And anyone who thinks that Sebastien Chabal and Fabien Pelous and co weren't trying on Saturday is clearly deluded.

Going on the pre-tournament forecasts, if any team shouldn't have bothered actually turning up, it it was England, who've won precisely nothing of any note since the last World Cup.
    Yet, lookit, they're in the final.

I hope the final is very tight. I hope it's as close and as exciting as the last WC final, with the lead being swapped about as the minutes go by. That's what finals should be like - two teams who are closely matched and who are both committed to winning. As to who will win it, though, God knows.
    And he's about the only one who does, at this stage.:D

I think it has been said befire, which is the better final one that is 16-13 with ten minutes to go, of one that is over at half time?

I don;t know wht people want, What tactics should you employ against a team that can get the ball out wide and score trys on either wing? Let them play that way and hope to beat them at it, or keep it tight, slow the game down and keep the ball. Just like England did against Australia?

I remember Thierry Henry complaining that in the world cup, he didn’t get the chance to play nice football because he was being marked too close…. Err, isn’t that the point of a defence? Great attacking play is only great attacking play if it can overcome great defending.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

shame they didn't score a try against France's world class defence as well:rolleyes:

lol, a freak bounce of the ball, and a defensive error, that was hardly a try brought about by flowing attacking and running rugby.

Only way England can score a try is by pure fluke like that, or rumbling over from a couple of yards in the unlikely event that they find themselves that far up the pitch.

Inquitus wrote: »
    lol, a freak bounce of the ball, and a defensive error, that was hardly a try brought about by flowing attacking and running rugby.

Only way England can score a try is by pure fluke like that, or rumbling over from a couple of yards in the unlikely event that they find themselves that far up the pitch.

ouch:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

you're right. how good was Wilko kicking all those points against Tonga and Samoa;)

That try was a complete fluke tbh, and i don't see wilko's boot kicking them out of a 2-3 try deficit. They either need to figure out how to score trys or just defend for 80 minutes.

See this notion of teams "not turning up". What is it really supposed to mean?
    It's been said over and over again in this WC. It makes no sense.

Any team that goes to the World Cup in any sport goes there to play their socks off and beat all the other boys. If the other team on the day stifles them and doesn't let them play, surely that means the other team have just done their homework better and know how to stop them? Why is that a bad thing? Surely it is a creditable thing to be on the winning side, when you've stopped your opponents in their tracks. Saying that team X or team Y didn't turn up suggests that those teams weren't trying. And anyone who thinks that Sebastien Chabal and Fabien Pelous and co weren't trying on Saturday is clearly deluded.
    Well, Ireland is generally a good rugby team with world class players but in this world cup they just did not turn up. They really struggled in every match but still hammered Eng in the 6N this year and beat SA and Aus last year in the autumn tests. So you could say they did not turn up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

The 2 teams that are in the Final seem to be the 2 teams that have made the least mistakes.

SA have looked the most impressive team, scoring lots of tries, good defence, excellent lineout expecially Matfield is a class act. Only drawback is scrum, Argies got the shove on a few times. England can target this. SA have not truly been tested in this WC imo. They've somehow avoided the big guns of NZ, OZ, France. Argentina, and Fiji played into SA hands with expansive rugby. Habana is the ace up their sleeve, and he's a serious threat as proved yesterday. When he gets running at full tilt I just keep thinking of that race against the cheetah. :D

England have had the harder route into the Final. They managed to beat OZ, and France in really tight games. Also kept both teams scoreless in the second half iirc. While on the downside England aren't really that creative, and it'll be hard to see where the tries will come from. On the plus side their defence, lineout, scrum etc are all top notch. They play percentages, and they do what they're good at well. They are a very well managed, disciplined, organised team, and they can frustrate SA.

Verdict: If its a tight low scoring game England will win. If SA play like their capable of and get a couple of tries in the first half they will win, and comfortably. It will be an interesting game either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Yes I know it's the Final
    But can we just ignore the result in the group stages. 36-0
    less that a month ago .Yes England have improved, But SA (IMO) won that game in first gear and where never under any pressure..
    Ok
    My Question is what has changed to made people think that this could be a close game or contest?
    (Not being smart, like to heard views /reasons)

SA struggled in the scrums in their last few matches and Eng didn't. SA's discipline was not great and if you make that mistake against Johnny Wilkinson he will punish you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭SameDifference

My soul is now broken...

all the team I backed got knocked out...

I guess i'll support England...grumble...

Advertisement