Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

Congratulations, I'm so pleased as I've been following your story. Hope you are all well and happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

shane as far as I'm aware from reading all the books that weight loss is normal at the start as its water. It says they should be back to birth weight in around 10days. Now somebody with more experience might be able to back this up, i'm just a first timer going mental reading all the books lol.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Shane, bring in some wax earplugs for Aoife so she can sleep (and maybe an eye mask), while you're looking after the small man. We did this and I was out for the count in about 30 seconds.

As for the weight loss, they can lose quite a bit of the birthweight in the first couple of weeks, but once they start gaining they're nearly back to their birthweight in a week.

He will take in lots of air from the bottle, but that's perfectly normal, try to see the burping time as cuddle time. The bottles they give you in hospital do SFA to prevent them swallowing air but your own ones will work much better, but don't worry about that till you get home!

Good luck with it all, it's a crazy steep learning curve but you'll get there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Weight loss is normal, Saoirse lost 4oz in hospital and had put it back on by about day 10. Glad to hear he's back with Mammy!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭imbroglio

Congrats guys, you're an inspiration. x

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Aoife and I both learnt lots yesterday. We took care of baby on our own in the ward- changing nappies, feeding and doing lots and lots of burping of our poor little windy guy. Because our little one is so small and only able to drink small volumes- he is being fed every 2 hours- rather than the 4 hourly originally intended- and mum is supplementing the Nutriprem 2 milk.

Baby has lost some weight since coming onto the ward- I'm not sure how much, but all we can do is keep feeding him and make sure he is a happy little guy. He's really good to be honest- very inquisitive, you'll think hes asleap and check on him- when in fact hes wide awake and looking around, and happy with himself- only crying when he needs to be burped. It would be so easy to just hold him all the time- but now he needs his sleep as much as anything else- so we're trying to ensure he maxes on it. Hes so adoreable- making little gurgling noises while asleap- and waving his hands around.

Better run- Mum needs her other half. I'm so proud of her.

Oh- our other news- Mum and baby are coming home tomorrow- Tuesday!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It's normal for a newborn to feed every 2 hours or even every hour. He won't be going 4 hours between feeds for some months. James feeds every 3 hours still. Their stomach capacity is the size of a small marble when they're born first.

Congrats on getting them home so soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

Aw, well done mummy and daddy!! So so pleased for you guys. I knew from the sound of him the little guy was going to do well :)
    Shane, give Cathy a big hug and pass on all our love from me and Issie!

edit: oh and from my mum and sister! They kept up with you guys through me.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭eimsRV

Hi Shane,

Sounds like Baby Shane is coming on great. Its very normal for babys to lose weight in the first few days but they put on back on quickly. Alannah was born at 4.5lbs and went down to 3.5lbs. She was also feeding every 2 hours but gradually that increased to 3 hours.

Thats great that Aoife and baby are coming home tomorrow. Not sure if you have small baby clothes but they have tiny baby clothes in Boots liffey valley and also Mothercare in Blanch & Stephens green that are for premature babies and babies born at low birth weight.
    Oh also you can get pampers micro for babies about 5lbs. I've seen them in Tesco clearwater recently.

also for nutriprem 2, it can be difficult to buy as you have to pre order it from chemists. In the chemist in Holles st they sell it so prob a good idea to stock up for the first week or two.

Did you get sorted for your car seat? I know Adrienne offered you a loan of hers, I also have a maxi cosi with the anchor base thing if you need a loan of it till yours arrives.

Eimear

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

hey guys -- on a different note, I just have to let you mummy's to be in on a little something I have discovered.

Someone bought me Palmer's Tummy Butter for Stretch Marks. I'm pretty sure you can just get it in the chemist. Anyway, it's been absoloutely fantastic. I've only been using it for three days...but already my skin is so much more taught and firm! The breast feeding and the tummy excercises can only do so much, I swear this stuff is kicking my skin back into shape! It's worth a go at any rate.

It is advertised with Vitamin E, Collagen, Elastin and lavendar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

smccarrick wrote: »
    Aoife and I both learnt lots yesterday. We took care of baby on our own in the ward- changing nappies, feeding and doing lots and lots of burping of our poor little windy guy. Because our little one is so small and only able to drink small volumes- he is being fed every 2 hours- rather than the 4 hourly originally intended- and mum is supplementing the Nutriprem 2 milk.

Baby has lost some weight since coming onto the ward- I'm not sure how much, but all we can do is keep feeding him and make sure he is a happy little guy. He's really good to be honest- very inquisitive, you'll think hes asleap and check on him- when in fact hes wide awake and looking around, and happy with himself- only crying when he needs to be burped. It would be so easy to just hold him all the time- but now he needs his sleep as much as anything else- so we're trying to ensure he maxes on it. Hes so adoreable- making little gurgling noises while asleap- and waving his hands around.

Better run- Mum needs her other half. I'm so proud of her.

Oh- our other news- Mum and baby are coming home tomorrow- Tuesday!

my little guy is 5 weeks and still doesn't do 4 hourly feeds, so you're doing pretty well with 2hr gaps :)
    bet you can't wait to get home!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Aww.. big congrats to you both! I was away from internet land for the weekend so I didn't get to catch up. Little Shane is absolutely gorgeous. I'm absolutely delighted for the three of you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Aoife and Shane CONGRATULATIONS :D
    Well done to both of you i have to say i shed a tear when i saw your little guy, what an amazing journey you've had and it's only just getting to the fun part! :eek::D

Up to 10% weight loss is normal and my wee man is 3 months today and still feeds every 3 hours, 5, 6oz bottles in a day and sleeps all night, although he's hitting the 3 month growth spurt yesterday and today, he's having 2 extra 4oz,
    it's all a learning curve and just when you think you have a handle on it they go and change!! they're so much fun :D

eimsRV wrote: »
    Hi Shane,

Sounds like Baby Shane is coming on great. Its very normal for babys to lose weight in the first few days but they put on back on quickly. Alannah was born at 4.5lbs and went down to 3.5lbs. She was also feeding every 2 hours but gradually that increased to 3 hours.

Thats great that Aoife and baby are coming home tomorrow. Not sure if you have small baby clothes but they have tiny baby clothes in Boots liffey valley and also Mothercare in Blanch & Stephens green that are for premature babies and babies born at low birth weight.
    Oh also you can get pampers micro for babies about 5lbs. I've seen them in Tesco clearwater recently.

also for nutriprem 2, it can be difficult to buy as you have to pre order it from chemists. In the chemist in Holles st they sell it so prob a good idea to stock up for the first week or two.

Did you get sorted for your car seat? I know Adrienne offered you a loan of hers, I also have a maxi cosi with the anchor base thing if you need a loan of it till yours arrives.

Eimear

Hi Eimear,

Yes, sorted for a car seat (sorry Adrienne for not getting back to you- we're all over the place). Our own car seat should be arriving by Friday of this week well over a month after we ordered it! We ordered the Maxi Cosi Pebble with the Family fix ISO thingy too (I think Aoife thought the base unit for it was a brilliant idea). I'm thinking of using the Muff for the chair in the carseat tomorrow- if they say its ok in the hospital- I want to make sure our little one is warm enough.

I queued up at Tesco Maynooth on Easter Sunday morning- and bought out their stocks of 'Tiny Baby' clothes. Have to go back again and see if I can find more baby grows (I thought the vests were baby grows, and felt a bit foolish when I had the difference between them explained to me). Aoife has chosen his going-home outfit from the selection I bought- its a cute one, that should be warm (and had a big fleece hat for our little guy).

Better run- I'm tired, and I've to be in early in the morning.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 65,219 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Great news, I'm delighted for you all. Best of luck to the three of you :)

To have children and to see them grow up to become little people and their own little characters is the most wonderful thing in the world. Enjoy while you suffer :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Home and tired, thanks everyone, busy with baby so will catch up with time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Welcome home hun, little Shane is gorgeous. We'll have to organise another meet up with the new babies as soon as everyone is settled in with them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

CathyMoran and SMcCarrick - I was away for a few days with no internet, and I'm so pleased to read your lovely news! My 3-year-old walked into the room and asked me why I was crying (embarrassing!), I showed her the photo of little Shane and she said "Aw! What a gorgeous little baby - but why are you crying?"!!!! I suppose tears of happiness make no sense to that age group.

Anyway, i'll stop rambling. Don't be worried about his weight loss, he won't be long making it up with his frequent feeding!

Congratulations to you both, and wishing you both all the best in your new way of life!

Welcome home hun, little Shane is gorgeous. We'll have to organise another meet up with the new babies as soon as everyone is settled in with them!!

that's a great idea seeing as i couldn't make the first one!! i'm having a hard time getting near the laptop with the kids off school, :D the joys, fecking stardoll:eek::rolleyes:

A new venue for the meetup might be an idea too- I'm not sure that we'd be welcome back to the previous one :) Thinking caps on everyone!

Our little one is so good- I'm just worried he's not getting enough as hes so small, but he needs his sleep too (as do his Mum and Dad). I've some major furniture reshuffling to do this morning- I think I have to get a changing table, my back is nearly crippled from changing him on the bed- and we're only home a day!)

Thanks for all the good wishes everyone.

Shane

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

smccarrick wrote: »
    my back is nearly crippled from changing him on the bed- and we're only home a day!)

We use the counter top in the kitchen (with a mat on top of it). If you have some counter top that doesn't have presses above it that works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭beachbabe

we got a cot top changer, saves space and does the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Hi boardsies, just found out myself and OH are expecting our first! Delighted but big shock ( two false negatives at week 5!)

As far as I can gather I'm 8weeks gone at this stage, and we're very excited for what the future holds!:)

p.s Cathy and Shane your little boy is adorable, congratulations! I hope I will be here posting a similar pic in November :D

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

Congrats lola i'm due no.2 start of sept its an amazing journey so enjoy it all! cathy and shane hows lil man doing at home? Hope ur doing well cathy after section.

Trying to get the breastfeeding started which is harder after a c and him being so small etc...pumps are great! The section was not the nicest (would rather forget the "spinal block" which took 5 "attempts" and was allergic to the morphine) but the end result is amazing, would still have another baby if he wants a sibling but happily giving him all the care he needs for now...he is a wonderful child...he does have a minor upper respiratory tract infection so we were in the hospital last night as we were not taking any chances as he is so small and are back for a weigh in tomorrow morning which is good for us. He is trying to train us into doing certain things for him (he got a feed an hour ago from mummys expressed milk and wants more food now which is great but his daddy seems very tired)...sorry, rambling from lack of sleep but he is worth it, seeing him smile, move his double jointed fingers, rubbing noses....

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭eimsRV

Cathy sounds like you are enjoying it all :)

With the breastfeeding I ended up pumping as like Baby Shane alannah was too small to latch on. I'm sorry I didn't keep at it as you know yourself the pumping is like double the work as you still need to feed the baby! But its great ya can rope Daddy in too :)
    Did you get a chance to speak to the breastfeeding lady in holles St? From memory she is based in the outpatients baby clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

Its amazing, there seems to have been a massive clear-out! Maybe its the good weather?
    Missing the chats on the pregnancy forum...:rolleyes:
    Hope all the gals and new babs are doing well

fi1979 wrote: »
    Its amazing, there seems to have been a massive clear-out! Maybe its the good weather?
    How are you and your little one - I still miss being pregnant with him but am loving having the little man outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

It does take a while to get used to not having the movements and the belly but as you said yourself Cathy, it is worth it!

Everyone I know (myself included) that has had a section has more trouble bf. But its never impossible :) You are doing great :)

• Advertisement

CathyMoran wrote: »
    How are you and your little one - I still miss being pregnant with him but am loving having the little man outside.

I still really miss being pregnant even though Ben is 14 weeks now:eek: crazy..
    fi1979 wrote: »

and i do miss all the chat on the moan thread especially..:D think we need a general moan thread..;):D although it's nice doing a bit of gardening in the sunshine with the wee man beside me in his chair...enjoy the weather it's probably our summer!! hahaha

Advertisement