Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I wish you could Grawns, it'd be so much easier ;). She doesn't like the bath much... screamed the first couple of times I put her in and screamed for about half an hour afterwards... but then I realised that the bath was probably a bit too cold (I was worried about scalding the poor thing haha), so I warmed it up a bit and she's getting used to it now!

I finally got round to sorting all the clothes that people gave me yesterday (I think my nesting instinct is finally kicking in, five weeks after I've had the child cos I'm cleaning like a mad thing the past couple of days...) and she has so much stuff... at least 10 newborn outfits that I still have to get her into before she grows out of them haha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Hello everyone, Just thought I'd leave everyone know how things have been the last few days. I was sent by my gp back to Dublin. I went to my antenatal appointment on monday and was held in day care yesterday. Be warned, chest infections give off all the signs of preeclampsia. After a long day of tests all is well I am glad to say. On a depressed note, doc agreed that antibiotics are not recommended so I have to sit and wait for it to improve naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Poor you. Have been feeling rubbish too with stupid cold ( hasn't gone to my chest luckily) still but stayed in bed for the last few days and finally feeling better. Pity you can't go home and relax and keep warm and chill. Evil MIL would accuse you of dossing or something :rolleyes:

Good news about the preeclampsia though. Take care and hope you feel better soon. Blackcurrent lockets ( not soothers) and lots of water helped me.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Glittergirl

Hi all

I've been following everyone's progress from a far because I posted onto this website twice in the last 12 months as I was preggers in Jan 2008 and Nov 2008, but unfort had two miscarriages.

Anyway, good news again as I'm preggers again!! Only 5 weeks gone though so we'll keep our fingers crossed.

CathyMorgan - I am soooo sorry to hear of your news. I know exactly how you feel and it's god damn devistating!!! My heart goes out to your and your DH!

Good luck to all the rest of you.

Adrieanne - your little doll is gorgeous!! :)

Take care.

Glit x

My fingers and toes will be crossed for you glitter girl :) Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Good luck Glittergirl (jebus I had that exact name on a forum I used to go to yearssss ago... crazy)... have my fingers crossed for you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Tired

Hey all and congrats to everyone on their pregnancies, I am a first time poster and 7 mnths preggers. Not having a bad time of it except for the Heartburn but I find ginger nut biscuits and milk help with that :D. Just thought I post to say hello and hopefully keep posting over the next few months. Plus I just had to say seeing the pic of Adriennes lil one just makes me wish April was here now (due the 13th of April, 2nd baby, 1st dd is 10 Years old) she is an absolute beauty, congrats Adrienne. Oh also my mate is due next week and I find the time is dragging in whilst getting huge..

Ps: CathyMorgan and Glittergirl am so sorry to hear of your losses, i also had a miscarriage at 13 weeks in March so I can understand how you are feeling.

Best wishes to all

Tired x

Hi Tired

Good luck with your pregnancy. Not long to go for you now. FYI, you can take zantac for heartburn. It's magic. I don't know why the docs don't tell everyone.

Cheers Grawns

Thanks Grawns, will check that out, have to say its not that bad considering what some other people have to go through. My poor mate is going thru the mill at the moment, she is due in for a section on Wednesday so its nearly all over for her (the b*tch lol) Am very impatient at the moment just want my lil bundle of joy with me and the weeks are dragging in.

I haven't read through all the threads but are you still pregnant and if so how far gone are you??? :D

37 weeks. Having an elective section on the 5th Feb (13 days to go) as too posh too push :D
    Just back from doc check up and feeling grand. This is my first too so the real crap will start when I leave the hosp and everyone fusses over the baby and I just have to get on with it :mad:

Currently am being treated like a princess by all and sundry. Loving it :)

• Advertisement

Wow id say the nerves are setting in now, at least you have a date... Let them fuss, the more help you have the better, atleast it will give you a break. You may not think that now but honestly you will appreciate it. Its going to be all new for me aswell, its ten years since I had my dd and i was still living at home, had my 3 sis and Mam and Dad around so it was great, this time its just me, my dp and dd (ohhhh and my dog) so it should be interesting. :D

It will be me, my husband our dog (our special baby - large dalmation sleeps in the bed with us), my mum, my dad, their dog and the family cat so luckily I will have plenty of extra help.

No nerves so far. Still can't bring myself to pack a bag or get stuff ready. Am actually quiet enjoying this stage of pregnancy. Like I said I am a princess and all the world treats me as one ;) Cause I have a huge belly. Won't be such a good thing soon :( No more coffee cake for me.

Your daughter is a great age to help you out too. I have a niece who will be 11 this month (only child) and she is so excited about the baby. Girl by the way already named Bridget. :P

I didn't start on Zantac until around month 7 but I can eat anything when I take it. Miracle stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

Grawns wrote: »
    37 weeks. Having an elective section on the 5th Feb (13 days to go) as too posh too push :D
    Just back from doc check up and feeling grand. This is my first too so the real crap will start when I leave the hosp and everyone fusses over the baby and I just have to get on with it :mad:

Currently am being treated like a princess by all and sundry. Loving it :)

Hey grawns, if ya don't mind me asking what made you go for an elective section? Was it for medical reasons or just something you decided yourself?

Just something I decided myself when I was about 12 :) If i could have the baby beemed out I would. Had to battle to get my way though as really it's not the best way for Mums in terms of recovery compared with a straightforward vaginal birth. I'm just afraid of complications. Scaredy me.

I know exactly how you feel Grawns, I am absolutely terrified of the birth, especially concerning tearing down below (and I am definately going to) I really wish I was able to convince the hospital to allow me get a c-section. I am not frightened of pain, just if you tear in a certain way you can become incontinent! Not something a 22 year old should have to worry about!:(

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I know exactly how you feel Grawns, I am absolutely terrified of the birth, especially concerning tearing down below (and I am definately going to) I really wish I was able to convince the hospital to allow me get a c-section. I am not frightened of pain, just if you tear in a certain way you can become incontinent! Not something a 22 year old should have to worry about!:(

Oh please stop!! You're scaring me!!

Grawns, I think it's great you stuck to your guns. I haven't even thought about the birth yet besides having total nightmares about it! I'm scared ****less at the thought of it and would love to have a section. I haven't done half enough research into it though.

The annoying thing about studying nursing, Ironically the first year of General Nursing consists of mostly pre-natal and infant care and I had to read and study what can go wrong every single day! Chances of alot of things happeniing are very low but one or two things did terrify me!

My poor lecturers when they realised I was pregnant, they all apologised to me straight away for discussing certain things, but what can you say, you have to study these things in nursing.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    The annoying thing about studying nursing, Ironically the first year of General Nursing consists of mostly pre-natal and infant care and I had to read and study what can go wrong every single day! Chances of alot of things happeniing are very low but one or two things did terrify me!

My poor lecturers when they realised I was pregnant, they all apologised to me straight away for discussing certain things, but what can you say, you have to study these things in nursing.

Oh I wouldn't fancy that at all! I think I quite like being oblivious to all the really bad things. In my own little head everything is going to go perfectly and absolutely nothing will go wrong.
    I know I probably should read up more on it and be informed but I really, really, really don't want to know!!

Yes I wish I could have had the blissful ignorance to never have heard of these problems before hand, I refuse to watch birthing videos! I don't want to know what is going down there when I think it could be me. I wont be able to see down there so I rather not know is happening!!!

Ignorance is never bliss for me. The more I know the more relaxed I am. Otherwise my imagination would run wild and I'd be freaking out. I would advise that if you want a section you discuss it with the consultants and wolfpawn, you should put your genuine concerns about tearing in writing. If you want one enough they won't argue with you. Put it in writing though. That scares them :D I did so much reasearch including contacting the HSE and in Ireland it is at the dr'd discretion essentially so you need to make them personally responsible for your birth. With your medical background I refer you to this abstract and this article. Very interesting reading!

• Advertisement

Morning ladies, sorry I havent replied to you Grawns, havent been 100% the last 3 days so have been taking it easy, well as easy as can be.

Sounds like you'll be sorted after the birth, help wise...

My lil one is really looking forward to it, got a few more bits and pieces the weekend (no where near packed or sorted) and she helped pick them out. Brought her to the big scan aswell just to keep her involved, she has had me to herself for the last ten years, it'll be a big change for her. Am going to get her something nice from the baby, she'll be delighted...

How is everyone today anyway. Im still not great but I have to work unfortunately... Just re the birth and not knowing, i thought i would have been like that but i have to say it was great knowing what they were doing and what was going on, it does help coz you tend not to panic...

Did everyone do their ante natal classes, we are going to do a 1 day course in Malahide/Portmarnock. Anybody do any of these and how did they find them???

Just wish it was April hehehehehehe

:D

Hey Tired, I have to ask, how do you find out about one day courses. I was supposed to do the course through the hospital, but due to an over demanding and self centred MIL I had to stay with her rather than attend them. (I was told that women never had them before so I would be fine!)

But also thanks Grawns for the links. I have to do a few jobs in the city this afternoon but I will sort out my little bit of homework tonight:)

Missed the free classes so didn't bother. Have bought loads of books though and really enjoy dipping in and out as questions come up in my mind.

Hope your feeling better tired.

Got my letter from maternity benefit today and I start getting my lovely baby money on Monday Yay :D

Was very late sending it ( maybe 2 weeks ago) so wasn't expecting to hear so soon.

Wolfpawnat, just googled one day ante natal classes northside dublin and a list came up so just rang a few. You can also ask at the hospitals they can recommend places for you. I still have to book the class and it costs €150.00 for the day. To be honest i already have a dd and did the course thru the hospital but this is my dp 1st baby and i would like him to know whats going on becoz ill be in too much pain to explain lol otherwise i wouldnt bother...

Not feeling too bad Grawns, ill be grand just have to grin and bear it, no point moaning no body listens to me (work with all men).

Im sending mine off tomorrow coz i had to put a letter with it and basically if there is a problem at least i will hopefully know before i go on ML.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Tired wrote: »
    Im sending mine off tomorrow coz i had to put a letter with it and basically if there is a problem at least i will hopefully know before i go on ML.

You'd think so, but I sent mine off 8 weeks before the day I was supposed to go on leave, and I was still on leave before hearing back from them - that's with no problems or complications!! From what I gathered (from ringing them the week before my leave was due to start) they only look at them just before the leave kicks in regardless of when you send them.

Quackles wrote: »
    You'd think so, but I sent mine off 8 weeks before the day I was supposed to go on leave, and I was still on leave before hearing back from them - that's with no problems or complications!! From what I gathered (from ringing them the week before my leave was due to start) they only look at them just before the leave kicks in regardless of when you send them.

So my inefficiency worked in my favour :D

Grawns wrote: »
    So my inefficiency worked in my favour :D

In fairness to them, my leave started Jan 5th, so right after christmas.. Probably caused a bit of a backlog.

Quackles wrote: »

I sent my one in five weeks before my due date and they got back to me two days after I sent it :o

I sent my one in five weeks before my due date and they got back to me two days after I sent it :o

Did they get back to you to say they'd received your application or that it had been approved? I did get a timely response when I first sent it away saying that they'd gotten it, but nothing else til after my leave started.

• Advertisement

Hello Everyone,

2 random questions here for ye, hope I can get some help. Am I the only person whose baby induced stretch marks (thanks a million baby!!!!) are really really itchy! Is there anyway of preventing them from getting itchy? I am using Bio Oil on them at the moment but it's not helping with the irration. I went a few days without the oil in case it was that that was causing it but if anything it was worse without it!

Also since I was in college until xmas I do not qualify for maternity benefit(damn state benefits!:() but I was given a docket by the hospital social worker to get a clothing/maternity payment. How do I go about organising this does anyone know?:)

Thanks for any and all help.

Advertisement