Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

E-mail someone to call you, is it switched on?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

I did that! got my friend to keep ringing it...eventually found it at the bottom of the laundry basket...good place for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Hey ladies, just said I'd let ye know that there were v-cushions in aldi yesterday for €7.99 incl pillow case.
    I forgot to pop down yesterday to pick one up, but I can't imagine they wld sell out.

Happy Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Didn't expect to be coming back in here again, ever, but I'm 5 weeks pregnant. Unexpected but now that I have my head around it I'm thrilled. Come October we'll have a 3.5 year old, a 2 year old and a newborn :eek::eek:

So I'm putting my optimistic hat on and hoping that I won't be crippled with extreme sickness this time. It usually kicks in in the next two weeks and lasts past 20 weeks:( Has anyone who has has more than one pregnancy found that they suffered with it on one but not the others? Its going to be much harder to deal with this time with the two kids, one of whom is very active and never stays still!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

kildareash wrote: »
    Hey ladies, just said I'd let ye know that there were v-cushions in aldi yesterday for €7.99 incl pillow case.
    I forgot to pop down yesterday to pick one up, but I can't imagine they wld sell out.

Happy Monday!

Lidl have beautiful patch work quilts for €19.99. I bought one in blue & beige but they have them in pink too. Great for laying babs on the floor & stuff when they're a bit older. I also got hooded towels for €3.99 & safety things for plugs & presses etc. for €2.49 each :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

have a question, i know unpasturised milk is a no no during pregnancy, family i work for are milk farmers and its always these own milk they use, they always have milk for me but was making scones with the kids today and not enough of my own milk these so made them with these milk, is it ok to eat these as they have been cooked or would they still be a no no? thanks

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Is anyone planning to use /used the Gentle birth hypnosis thingy (think its a book and a CD?)

I would like to find out more about it, if anyone can shed light on it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

have a question, i know unpasturised milk is a no no during pregnancy, family i work for are milk farmers and its always these own milk they use, they always have milk for me but was making scones with the kids today and not enough of my own milk these so made them with these milk, is it ok to eat these as they have been cooked or would they still be a no no? thanks

Pasteurisation of milk is heating the milk to 71 degrees centigrade for 21 seconds. You would have the most awful scones ever if they weren't baked at significantly higher than 71 degrees, and for a damn sight longer than 21 seconds. So, in short- your scones are just fine- and all this talk of fresh baking is making me hungry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

smccarrick wrote: »

Pasteurisation of milk is heating the milk to 71 degrees centigrade for 21 seconds. You would have the most awful scones ever if they weren't baked at significantly higher than 71 degrees, and for a damn sight longer than 21 seconds. So, in short- your scones are just fine- and all this talk of fresh baking is making me hungry :)

thanks for that, i didn't have one just in case, knew i should of had one :-) will know for future reference anyway :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Neyite wrote: »
    Is anyone planning to use /used the Gentle birth hypnosis thingy (think its a book and a CD?)

Hey - using it - pure brilliant! Has helped me to rest sleep and in general be calm!! Subtely changes your negative associations with labor to positive ones! I'm not normally into this kind of thing but have found it invaluable! I def think you should go for it - it's a 5 week course!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I didn't use it but I knew some that did to calm both during pregnancy and labour and they found it fantastic, it's well worth looking into ESP if you are hoping for a drug free labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Mmmmmm scones *drool* :D

I've read so many positive reviews about the Gentle birth cd's that they must work. I did mean to get them last time, but only read about them in the last week or 2 of my pregnancy so didn't at the time.

Pippington blame the phone loss on babybrain, I'm blaming it for a multitude of things these days :D I'm not so bad with my phone, but keep putting my keys down in random places and not being able to find them :o

Can't believe I'm on maternity leave in a little over 9 weeks, where has the time gone :eek::confused: Exciting too though :D

Congratulations Vel! Fingers crossed you won't suffer with morning sickness this time around x

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭seabre

Vel wrote: »
    Didn't expect to be coming back in here again, ever, but I'm 5 weeks pregnant. Unexpected but now that I have my head around it I'm thrilled. Come October we'll have a 3.5 year old, a 2 year old and a newborn :eek::eek:

So I'm putting my optimistic hat on and hoping that I won't be crippled with extreme sickness this time. It usually kicks in in the next two weeks and lasts past 20 weeks:( Has anyone who has has more than one pregnancy found that they suffered with it on one but not the others? Its going to be much harder to deal with this time with the two kids, one of whom is very active and never stays still!!

I was in EXACTLY the same position as you last year! my beautiful 3rd baby was born in Oct 2011 and is the best thing that could have happened in our house! The other 2 just love her and she is so good - I think the ore babies you have close together like that the easier it is to fall into a nice wee routine cos you just have too!

On a brighter note my 3rd pregnancy was completely differen from the other 2 so you might just luck out and have no sickness this time!!! Anyway good luck with it all - Im actually a wee bit jealous of you (Cant believe Im saying that - scary!) Last year was a very quick and fabulous year!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Might get the CD so. Which one do you have Dublin Lady?

Cap - re baby brain. A friend of mine recommended a seed mix to boost Omega 3 & 6,
    According to my baby book coming into the third trimester babys brain is developing so stealing all your omegas (naughty baba!) so you need extra.

1 part sesame seeds
    1 part sunflower seeds
    1 part pumpkin seeds
    2 parts linseed/ flaxseed.

Grind to a powder in a coffee grinder. Mix a tablespoonful or two into your cereal, porridge, smoothie or yoghurt- whatever you prefer. Surprisingly its quite nice. Its really nice in a natural or hazelnut yoghurt. I've also tried it in smoothies and its lovely.

Thanks for that Neyite, I'll give it a try :) anything to retain the few remaining brain cells I possess is worth it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭seabre

OMG:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I just popped into this thread to see whats what & I started reading everyones posts & I am feeling sooo broody!

My 3rd (and supposedly last) baby is only 18 weeks old!

There should be a sticky at the start of this thread warning all women to read at your peril!

Anyway The very best of luck to each & every one of you! Enjoy every minute of your pregnancies - looking back they go so quickly;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

This is going to sound so silly... But how do u know when u feel babs for the first time? I just felt like a popping like a little bubble I guess... And that's what all the books/apps says it feels like... But how do you know?!

dublinlady wrote: »

Hey - using it - pure brilliant! Has helped me to rest sleep and in general be calm!! Subtely changes your negative associations with labor to positive ones! I'm not normally into this kind of thing but have found it invaluable! I def think you should go for it - it's a 5 week course!

Would definately second this, I love mine. I've gone from being afraid of labour to looking forward to it, I feel so confident that I will be able to do it calmly.
    If you get nothing more out of it you'll definately get a good nights sleep, which I find invaluable at this stage of pregnancy.
    I opted for the full course which was €70 as far as I can remember but money well spent imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Shuwaaah

Hey cyning, its so hard to know first time around, i was asking everyone and the answer i kept gettin was that it felt like butterflies / bubbles.
    I was so unsure,i thought i felt bubbles of a sort and wasn't sure until i went for my scan and i could see the movements on the screen syncing with the bubbles i was feeling. The fact that you could definitely feel a bubble popping would suggest it was the baby, congrats :-)

cyning wrote: »
    This is going to sound so silly... But how do u know when u feel babs for the first time? I just felt like a popping like a little bubble I guess... And that's what all the books/apps says it feels like... But how do you know?!

It took a few movements before I was sure of what I was feeling but what you have described definately sounds like babs moving. Such a lovely reassuring feeling, enjoy it :-)

• Advertisement

I'm meeting my baby on valentines day :)

Quick qn actually!! What and how many clothes will I need for the baby for the 5 days in hosp? I know it's a girl so don't mind buying bits. She 6&1/2 lbs now so he reckons will be 7&1/2- 8 by valentines!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Quick qn actually!! What and how many clothes will I need for the baby for the 5 days in hosp? I know it's a girl so don't mind buying bits. She 6&1/2 lbs now so he reckons will be 7&1/2- 8 by valentines!

Plenty of vests and baby gros, and don't bother with muslin cloths, they don't absorb, get Terry toweling cloths or towels. Best of luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

seabre wrote: »
    I was in EXACTLY the same position as you last year! my beautiful 3rd baby was born in Oct 2011 and is the best thing that could have happened in our house! The other 2 just love her and she is so good - I think the ore babies you have close together like that the easier it is to fall into a nice wee routine cos you just have too!

On a brighter note my 3rd pregnancy was completely differen from the other 2 so you might just luck out and have no sickness this time!!! Anyway good luck with it all - Im actually a wee bit jealous of you (Cant believe Im saying that - scary!) Last year was a very quick and fabulous year!

Thanks seabre! I'm trying not to get my hopes up but I have to say this pregnancy already feels 'different' in that I'm not half as tired as I was at this stage on the others, although maybe that's because I am so used to sleep deprevation given the fact that our longest is the worst sleeper imaginable! I'm trying to focus on being positive and convincing myself that the sickness is all in the mind!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

I'm meeting my baby on valentines day :)

That's amazing DL congrats :) not too long left now :) only 2 weeks! Is it going to be a section or induction? Xx

Dublinlady that's brill that you have your date for meeting babs, aw amazing only a few days away, so exciting!!!
    The list the hospital suggested based on a 3 day hospital stay was one vest/babygro per day.
    I'd imagine 7 vests & 7 babygro's would be plenty (2 spares just in case!), scratch mitts are handy too incase little lady is born with sharp nails & a little hat.

Wmpdd3 how are you doing? due date today! any sign of movement or is baby happy enough to stay put for the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Pack 7 of each, just be aware that section babies can be very mucousy after because the mucous is not squeezed out of their lungs like it is in the birth canal. Lay some extra out on a bed or in a drawer so your partner can take some more into you if you need them and he can take the others home and wash them, like with PJ's for you, have some extra laid out so you don't have to bring a huge bag in with you.

Thanks for the advise ladies - I really must get organised!!
    Wpdd3 had her baby on sat - posted in the jan/feb thread!!! All well I think :)

Tigress it's a section as baby is breech and vaginal birth to risky :(

I'm ok with it but there's a few bits that are really crap - like having to go to the recovery room afterwards without the baby - and hubbie has baby in ward - I still don't understand how she will wait for me to be breast fed and I have a fear they will give her a bottle. Poor hubbie won't know what to do for best! I just hope I'm only in the recovery room an hr or so and not the 5 hrs like done of the horror stories I'm of course being told!
    I do t mind the surgery now or even the pain after as I just want my baby safely and will do anything that's needed to hold her in my arms. I do worry about having the catheter in etc for the full day and still wonder on the practicalities of looking after her properly myself! But from posters here I've been reassured holles st will do lots too help so I just have to have faith in that!

Spent the day washing her little vests and sleep suits and just can't believe it's only 13 days away!!! :) I'm so happy - it'll be a crap 24 hrs but hopefully a happy ever after!!!

Is it wrong to be thinking about my next pregnancy already......;)

When I was around 15 weeks I felt bubbles like indigestion but in the wrong place!! I had my suspicions but had to wait a couple of weeks as they grew stronger to be sure!! It's really the most magical thing!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 parnellie

Hi! I thought i could feel baby in wk 16 but i was unsure. Im now in wk 18 and without a doubt i can feel the movements. Some woman dont feel them until wk 20/22. Its hard to describe. Everywhere i was reading its like a flutter, gas bubbles and butterflies but i wouldnt use any of those words to describe it. To me its literally small movements below my belly button. You will know when it happens!

Advertisement