Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Redmal

I'm not even 2 months and I feel as if I've put on weight already. Not baby weight, just weight. I'm a bit paranoid because I stopped smoking as soon as I found out. I also want to go for a run but I'm afraid to put strain on myself as it's such early days.

Other than that I feel great! Not tired or sick or anything. I'm not sure what I was expecting to feel. I'm waking at 5am every morning as well.

Ivy nothing since this morning, hope it's good news!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Redmal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Ivy fair play to you for being so chilled! I was so impatient last time, the minute my due day came and went (2 weeks overdue in the end :rolleyes:) I was trying everything (tonic water/pineapple/looooong walks/hot curry etc) to bring on labour!

I think my nesting has kicked in well and truly, I was like a tornado attacking the house work today with gusto. Proper down on my hands and knee's washing floor's under the beds (eww @ the amount of dusty bunnies under there :o), changing bed linen, scrubbing showers/sinks.

Though the only drawback about doing a clean like that when you have a 2 year old is that by the time by husband got home from work, it didn't look like I'd done anything :rolleyes:

I've planned to pack my hospital bag this weekend, my mum is coming to visit so I'm going to get her to bring down a little overnight bag she has for me to use.
    I've my dressing gown & hospital pj's in the wash. It's so sad but I know I'll be all excited when I have the bag packed and ready to go. I know more than likely it'll be the 10 weeks til I'm due & probably 2 weeks over before I get to put it to use, but still, it makes me feel like I'm that bit closer to meeting baba :)

Redmal my friend put most of her baby weight on the first 2-3 months then evened out towards the end because she didn't put more weight on til towards the end.
    So everyone kept telling the poor girl she was 'huge' in the beginning then tiny towards the end! Hopefully it should even out for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Still here! Oh it's not my due date till the 19th. But seeing as last week the gyny said he'd be surprised if I didn't have my baby by this week, I've been waiting! I would prefer if he had said nothing! :P

I have zero nesting instinct. Well unless nesting means making myself a cosy little nest in the living room and watching dvds and stuff! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

ivy, im on here every day looking for an update from you :)

hows the cold today ? im miserable with one the last few days cough and a head cold and just feeling generally crappy.

• Advertisement

ivy, im on here every day looking for an update from you :)

hows the cold today ? im miserable with one the last few days cough and a head cold and just feeling generally crappy.
    Still have the cold but it's getting better every day! Feel kinda crappy but thankfully don't have any obligations or anything so can just take care of myself. I hope you feel better soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Ivy - glad to hear your relaxing!! I'm trying to kick in my nesting instinct as its not coming either!!! But then I get lazy and my swollen ankles start to hurt and somehow I'm back on the couch with the dog surrounded by more mess than I started with!! It's all about starting jobs and not finishing them with me at the mo!!!

Cap - I packed my bag at 32 weeks and I'd swear I must have replaced it 20 times by now!! Since finding out have to have section I have gone mad on it altogether!!!
    Think I finally have it down! Packing enough for 2-3 days and then hubby can bring in rest as I tell him!!
    If its any use to anyone this is what I packed;
    2 p.js
    1 nightie
    Slippers and dressing gown
    Cardigan
    8 large knickers!!
    4 nursing bras
    Nursing pads
    Maternity pads and always with wings
    Lansinoh
    S.poo/cond/s.gel/h.brush/face wipes/ makeup...
    2 cellular blankets
    24 pk newborn nappies
    4 muslin squares
    6 vests and sleep suits
    One hat and 2 scratch mitts - and 3 bibs
    Vaseline and cotton wool
    4 granola bars
    One lrg towel for me and one for baby
    Book and ipod

Think that's it!! If I've left anything out or u think I need different feel free to advise!!!

Think my poor breech baby is trying to dig her way out... She clearly hasn't figured out she's the wrong way around... She's trying to get out past my ribs!! She's so active this week - its mad- but so lovely! 38& 1 now I'd say there's little hope of her turning! I've tried everything from handstands in the pool to yoga to gym ball to lying almost upside down on couch!! She just likes my ribs I guess!! I don't mind now at all - I'm just dying to meet her - can't believe this time next week I'll be holding her in my arms.... It's so hard to believe and imagine!! I was so focused on the drama of the section I almost forgot what was goin on!!! Now after tidying her room for the 8th time and looking at all of her tiny little clothes I just literally CANNOT wait!!! Whoop whoop!!!!!!! :)

Ooh I know the feeling Dublinlady, I don't know what baby was doing last night, but I was convinced a hand or foot was going to poke out from between my ribs at any moment :eek: I think baby was trying to turn around into a different position ouchies!

Look's like you have everything you need in the bag there, granola bars sound like a good idea, must pack a few myself :)

Wow so exciting to think you will have your baby in your arms this day next week, squeeeeee! :D

Ivy if it's any consolation I had zero nesting desire myself last time, I wish I didn't this time either - I'm suffering for it today :rolleyes:
    I thought you were past your due date and being really chilled about baby not being here yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Was at the GP today, all is well and got to hear babs little heartbeat again which is lovely as always.
    33 weeks on Friday, bags all packed just have to add stuff like snacks and chargers etc. which will go in at the last minute.

Ladies I hear ye on the kicking, though the movement I dread the most is when this little bugger manages to get his foot right under rib and just pushes, it's a horrible sensation which usually results in me sitting bolt straight up in bed and frightening the living daylights out of the OH :D:p

Any news Ivy???

Well I had a 30 minute monitoring with the midwife today (you get one a week before the birth here in the last month). SHE says that I could be dilated for a few weeks before the labour starts! So I'm going to try to relax, seeing as it's ten days to my due date!

• Advertisement

Well I had a 30 minute monitoring with the midwife today (you get one a week before the birth here in the last month). SHE says that I could be dilated for a few weeks before the labour starts! So I'm going to try to relax, seeing as it's ten days to my due date!

Hopefully it won't be too long ivy!! But I suppose best try to take ur mind off it incase it drags out!

Well I had hosp appt today and babs still firmly breech - so really looking like Tuesday it is! It's gonna be such a weird weekend, and my hubbie working sat sun and mon to get time off after the baby comes - I'm gonna have to seriously distract myself!! Had pains keeping me awake last night but doctor said that's fairly normal at 38 & 1/2 weeks and that my body doesn't know about the section so is still warming up to try and push her out bum first! I just hope It doesn't try before tue!!!

Had my last antenatal class tonight.
    Two things came up that I was going to do as I thought they were best but found out tonight my midwife doesn't recommend:
    1. Don't use tea tree on stitches as the stitches nowadays are oil based so the tea tree oil can dissolve the stitches prematurely.
    2. Don't swaddle the baby as it can cause breathing problems.

Now I'm unsure what to do with these two things :-\

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Two things came up that I was going to do as I thought they were best but found out tonight my midwife doesn't recommend:
    1. Don't use tea tree on stitches as the stitches nowadays are oil based so the tea tree oil can dissolve the stitches prematurely.

Yeah apparently the latest is not to swaddle just tuck blanket into sides on cot - I'm still not sure whether arms in or out?!!?! Crickey I have no idea - thank god I'll be in the hosp for 5 days where they can show me things!! Although I've heard different midwives give you different advise in the hosp which I'm sure is confusing too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

:eek: I swaddle Ellen, she loves it! She's no breathing problems, apart from the snuffles... but that's just the snuffles... she has started to try to break free from the swaddle now though.

Ivy - I got the same nesting instinct as yourself, on all three pregnancies.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

I work with babies and we always swaddle! settles them like nothing else...oops!

Yeah my sister swore by swaddling, think I'm gonna go ahead and try it anyway.
    There is so much mixed advice out there it's hard to know what to do for the best :-\

I think it's gas the way they keep changing the rules for what you should and shouldn't do, so hard to keep track!
    I would have though personally swaddling was safer myself. Surely if you have a blanket tucked in, there is more chance of baby inadvertently ending up with the blanket covering their face when they move around in the in their sleep, whereas with swaddling there's no risk of this? :confused:

I swaddled Rose & when she got to the stage that she was kicking the blankets off, I started using grobags then.

I bought the tea tree oil but forgot to use it when the time came :o

i think also when babies are first born and for the first few weeks they really dont do the mad jumping around the cot people tell ya they do...just make sure to swaddle to the shoulders and not the chin

My maternity clinic just asks for grobags from birth...

There is a good HSE leaflet for sleeping advice...I'll dig it out and post the link...

Here you go: http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Publications/topics/Safety/Safe_Sleep_for_your_Baby_-_Reduce_the_Risk_of_Cot_Death_Booklet_PDF.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

in the creche i used to work in we used to insist on growbags for the babys in the baby room, was a policy they had,

• Advertisement

There is a good HSE leaflet for sleeping advice...I'll dig it out and post the link...

Here you go: http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Publications/topics/Safety/Safe_Sleep_for_your_Baby_-_Reduce_the_Risk_of_Cot_Death_Booklet_PDF.pdf

That was v.useful thanks ivy!

dublinlady wrote: »

That was v.useful thanks ivy!

That's the leaflet my midwife gave out last night, see the way the baby in the pics hands are free above the blanket, this is how she said babies should be put down to sleep but by swaddling you are preventing this & restricting breathing??? All v.confusing!!!

Just ate 3 bars of dairy milk...in about 30 seconds..i only fancied a little bit of chocolate :( this baby better come fast before i turn into a bar

pippington wrote: »
    Just ate 3 bars of dairy milk...in about 30 seconds..i only fancied a little bit of chocolate :( this baby better come fast before i turn into a bar

Aaah a woman after my own heart :D I'm a savage for chocolate, I really do have the world's worst sweet tooth!
    It does no favours for the lovely constipation that goes hand in hand with me + 3rd trimester of pregnancy so I need to cut back on it.
    I just made myself eat a rhubarb activia yoghurt as a sweet treat, would've much preferred some chocolate :(

Sweet grapes are my guilt free sugar rush when I've over done the chocolate :)

its ridiculous..i cant be sitting there without a thought of food or hunger and the next thing its like im in a crazed must have chocolate mood

Just in case I don't get a chance to post later, DL best of luck for tomorrow, can't wait to hear how meeting your little lady for the first time goes :-)

Any news Ivy??

Just in case I don't get a chance to post later, DL best of luck for tomorrow, can't wait to hear how meeting your little lady for the first time goes :-)

Any news Ivy??

Nope! I think I had a Braxton hicks contraction yesterday evening...wasn't sure if it was the real thing so noted the time, but then had nothing else.

Starting to get very sore in my hips and knees, think my joints are really separating now! Also noticed some clear liquid on my nipples, maybe that's the colostrum coming in?

Nope! I think I had a Braxton hicks contraction yesterday evening...wasn't sure if it was the real thing so noted the time, but then had nothing else.

Starting to get very sore in my hips and knees, think my joints are really separating now! Also noticed some clear liquid on my nipples, maybe that's the colostrum coming in?

All good signs, hopefully your little one won't keep you waiting much longer :)

• Advertisement

Thanks MS2011!

And thanks to you all - you've been a great support throughout my whole pregnancy and some of you also throughout the difficult ttc process!
    Its so amazing to have a place to come where people understand exactly how your feeling and where you can rant and rage and moan without having to do it to your 'real life' friends who dont always appreciate your circumstances!!

Im full of excitement and anxiety over tomorrow - I have no doubt at all that it will be the best day of my life and even that thougt is a little overwhelming. Im anxious about how the day will go and just want the hard part to be over so that i can feel well and be holding my little girl! My only wish is that she is healthy and happy and after that the rest will fall into place!

I promise to update ye as soon as im capable!! and hopefully at some point put up my birthing story so that other ppl with breech babies can feel reassured that while its not first choice a section really aint that bad!

Baby has the hiccups at the mo...god im gonna miss my bump! Im just looking forward to getting to know her out in the real world now!!

Best of wishes to you all - i certainly will be hanging around this thread alot to seehow you are all doing with your pregnancies!
    May all your dreams come true and happy and healthy babies be in your arms soon, x x x

Advertisement