Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Tigeress wrote: »
    MS2011 I'm in shock that you're already 30 weeks! It's flying through for you :)

Best o luck to all those who are due soon! Xxx

Can't believe it myself, the days seem to dragging but in reality it's flying by!

How's little Nathan? Can you believe you've been a mammy for almost a whole month already :-)

I know what ya mean! I remember getting to the 30 week mark & saying 'wow only 10 more to go' it'll fly for ya!
    It's really weird that he's gonna be 4 weeks on Tues! He's doing really well thanks :) he's so funny! It feels like he's always been here.. Feels like years ago since I was preg lol.

Wmpdd I went in for a sweep at 39 weeks, it's just like getting an internal exam oy a little longer.. She tried for ages on me but it didn't work as he wasn't engaged but it was worth a shot! All my friends that had them had their babies within 2 days.. I'd say if you're offered it then go for it! Could get baby out rather than waiting up to another 3 weeks :) best of luck xx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

OK after much googleing, seems like a good dose of sex would be much more effective. How long are midwives fingers anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    OK after much googleing, seems like a good does of sex would be much more effective. How long are midwives fingers anyway!!

It might be a little more enjoyable too :D I had a sweep last time (requested one, I was either 39 or 40 weeks at the time).
    It didn't work great for me, but the Doc did say at the time my cervix quite high up at time still which is probably why it didn't work.

My baba seem's to be engaged at the moment (my bump is really low and I can feel that the head is down that way). I'm not getting my hope's up for any early arrival, no doubt this one will wait the 2 weeks over too just to keep us waiting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 parnellie

Hi all im 17 weeks at the moment and absolutely hating my job. They are no help they seem to think its nearly funny and such an inconvienience that im pregnant. To say im fed up is an understatement to say the least. Any body else gettin a hard time from employers?

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear it Parnellie, that's lousy that they're not treating you well :(

At least you're fairly near the half way mark, just look at the goal in the end and the lovely 6 months off after where you wont have to see your employers :)

Im due the end of june but i think ill take my leave the end of may and just not go back. Its stressful yeno. Trying to get time off for appointments is so intimidating and i feel i cnt even take sick days without the third degree. They have no sick pay in place either which i didnt knw until i was in hospital with hyperemmisis.the doc gave me the week off and when christmas week came i got no wages. I was told i should have applied for social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Parnellie sorry you're getting such a hard time in work, don't take any crap from them you are perfectly entitled to take time off as needed for your pregnancy.

Ladies I'm feeling very heavy all of a sudden, finding walking is becoming a chore.
    Cap that's great babs is engaged, I have a midwifes' appointment on Wednesday I hope I get some similar news :-)
    9 weeks 5 days left!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Ah hormones, how I love ye!

Just listened to a French song I like, that I haven't heard since my French has improved. It's about a bullfight from the bull's perspective. Burst into tears for the poor dying bull! :o

parnellie wrote: »
    Im due the end of june but i think ill take my leave the end of may and just not go back. Its stressful yeno. Trying to get time off for appointments is so intimidating and i feel i cnt even take sick days without the third degree. They have no sick pay in place either which i didnt knw until i was in hospital with hyperemmisis.the doc gave me the week off and when christmas week came i got no wages. I was told i should have applied for social welfare.

That is terrible, you can apply for social welfare for sickness if you are off again. You get a sheet signed from the doc and hand it into the social welfare office. I think you get about €188 per week or part there of, you dont get any payment for the first 3 days of each episode.

You could go on maternity leave 16 weeks early so around wk 24. You would have to give work notice that you intend going and you still only get 26 weeks maternity payment, but if you have enough PRSI contributions you can get Job Seekers Benefit while you look for a new job after the baby is born. It all depends an whether you could live with the reduced pay for the next few months. But if its affecting your health.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Hahaha ivy i hear ya!! Anything sets e off at the mo!!!!

Cap you making me jealous.... I'm 36 weeks today and at last appt was told babies head down , but has been since 20 wks!!! But nowhere near engaged!!! And I thought they were meant to engage loads early in first pregnancies!!! Which confirms my suspicions.... I have the gestational length of an elephant.... 18 months... This baby going no where any time soon!!! From 37 weeks I'll be doing stairs, eating pineapple, shaggin my man more than when even trying to conceive, drinking nothing other than rasp leaf tea, driving over every speed bump in Dublin.... But I fear it will all be a waste of time as think this baby us holding onto my ribs for fear of moving down or engaging!!!! Can't say I blame her... Tis gone awful cold lately!!
    Anyway another appt on thurs at hosp - fingers crossed there will be some change - to be honest I think it'll be a case of 42 weeks... No change.... Suppose we should evict her..... Now I don't mind her staying in there for comfort... But I want some cuddles!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

My work don't pay sick leave either: I've been off since 5 and a half weeks I'm 16 weeks tomorrow with hyperemesis... I work in retail so taking Christmas off was the busiest time of year. I get my €188 a week just had to send in certs weekly. Now I only have to send them in monthly. You and baby are way more important and taking time off because you have appointments: don't feel guilty. Tell them the time and go.

If you have to go off sick, there isn't anything you can do. I wouldn't be feeling guilty especially if you don't intend on going back... it's not just you your been selfish for: it's your baby too.

Does anyone else have a particularly nervous husband/oh? My poor hubbie is having a heart attack about everything at the moment. He's terrified of me having a miscarraige (we had one previously). He worries incessently about everything: if I vomit he worries (and I vomit numerous times every day!), if I get a cramp in my side he worries. I just want him to relax a bit and look forward to having our baby: he's so worried he can't. Anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

My oh is like that at the moment, had a scare on Thursday had a small bleed (everything fine though thank god baby moving in scan) iand since i came home he won't let me lift a finger, if i even want to go to the toilet he feels like he has to help me down the hall he is kinda wrecking my head, although i went to bed for a while earlier and was woken up with a lovely roast chicken dinner ready for me, which was really nice :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Dad11

Hi there I need help here . My wife and I are expecting our first child due in two weeks. Im the only person working at the moment. We are managing but only just about. I had a night out over Christmas. I had 4 pints. They made me sick and I was hungover for most of the next day. My wife was very annoyed with me. Since then there has been a lot of friction between us. Last week I wanted to catch up with old friends at a work reunion. I was not going to drink etc after what happened at xmas night out. She got very upset over this. I didnt understand but apologised etc. Today I started a training course mt job is paying for. The course finishes this wed. A few people suggested going for a.coffee after work on Wed. I mentioned this to my wife in front of mother in law. They immediately said no way could I go. I said I wanted to go and that it was important to live ur life etc. I said it was good networking event etc. My wife got.upset again. In distraught that I upset her again but in this case I think she was over reacting. I need some honest advice here. Am I being selfish ?

Dad11 wrote: »
    Hi there I need help here . My wife and I are expecting our first child due in two weeks. Im the only person working at the moment. We are managing but only just about. I had a night out over Christmas. I had 4 pints. They made me sick and I was hungover for most of the next day. My wife was very annoyed with me. Since then there has been a lot of friction between us. Last week I wanted to catch up with old friends at a work reunion. I was not going to drink etc after what happened at xmas night out. She got very upset over this. I didnt understand but apologised etc. Today I started a training course mt job is paying for. The course finishes this wed. A few people suggested going for a.coffee after work on Wed. I mentioned this to my wife in front of mother in law. They immediately said no way could I go. I said I wanted to go and that it was important to live ur life etc. I said it was good networking event etc. My wife got.upset again. In distraught that I upset her again but in this case I think she was over reacting. I need some honest advice here. Am I being selfish ?

It's difficult as we obviously are only hearing your side of the story, but from what your saying you are not being unreasonable. BUT I'm 36 weeks pregnant now and to be honest do feel very clingy of my husband and amnt always reasonable.... My hormones are crazy right now and I'm anxious about alot of things. Perhaps she's feeling frightened and overwhelmed and really does just need you to drop everything non essential for her right now? It's not necessarily fair or rational but for the sake of a month may be a consideration? I agree you can't stop living your life - I'm still busy busy doing things on my own and plan to be for the next 4 weeks but everyone feels differently. I suppose I'm saying there's more give than take at the moment and maybe you can explain to her that you think you should go but she is your priority and main concern at the mOment and so if course you won't go - she may well surprise you after a few hrs and change her mind!
    But in general - there's nothing wrong with having a hangover over Christmas... My hubbie had several!! And it's important to have individual lives also - but main thing is - she's pregnant - heavily - and really what she wants goes... She's also entitled to change her mind alot!!! ;)

Thank you for ur reply. I feel terrible now. I know I have upset her, but didnt mean too. She says I have upset her a lot over pregnancy which is killing me. I feel I am going to be a useless father and husband. I feel so guilty. Im hurting my wife and unborn child! I feel so helpless. I cant seem to do anything right for her! I also feel guilty as we don't have much money so cant spoil here etc.

dublinlady wrote: »
    Dad11 wrote: »

It's difficult as we obviously are only hearing your side of the story, but from what your saying you are not being unreasonable. BUT I'm 36 weeks pregnant now and to be honest do feel very clingy of my husband and amnt always reasonable.... My hormones are crazy right now and I'm anxious about alot of things. Perhaps she's feeling frightened and overwhelmed and really does just need you to drop everything non essential for her right now? It's not necessarily fair or rational but for the sake of a month may be a consideration? I agree you can't stop living your life - I'm still busy busy doing things on my own and plan to be for the next 4 weeks but everyone feels differently. I suppose I'm saying there's more give than take at the moment and maybe you can explain to her that you think you should go but she is your priority and main concern at the mOment and so if course you won't go - she may well surprise you after a few hrs and change her mind!
    But in general - there's nothing wrong with having a hangover over Christmas... My hubbie had several!! And it's important to have individual lives also - but main thing is - she's pregnant - heavily - and really what she wants goes... She's also entitled to change her mind alot!!! ;)

Lord above don't be so hard on urself!!!!! The whole point is she is delicate now and prob saying alot of things she doesn't mean!!! You just need to be there for her as best ya can for the next few weeks and when the babies born - if she's said anything at all it's that she wants more support and that's sonething you can start straight away! But there's no use dwelling on what's been or what hadn't been - the most important thing is that ye are about to witness and take part in the worlds biggest miracle!! Your going to have a baby! That's so special and amazing and all that baby needs is love!! So stop the negativity - up your interest and love of the pregnancy and remember that behind it all is a woman you love who just feels overwhelmed! If she knows your there with her then that's half the battle!!

Thanks. Ill start today.

dublinlady wrote: »
    Lord above don't be so hard on urself!!!!! The whole point is she is delicate now and prob saying alot of things she doesn't mean!!! You just need to be there for her as best ya can for the next few weeks and when the babies born - if she's said anything at all it's that she wants more support and that's sonething you can start straight away! But there's no use dwelling on what's been or what hadn't been - the most important thing is that ye are about to witness and take part in the worlds biggest miracle!! Your going to have a baby! That's so special and amazing and all that baby needs is love!! So stop the negativity - up your interest and love of the pregnancy and remember that behind it all is a woman you love who just feels overwhelmed! If she knows your there with her then that's half the battle!!

Thanks everybody. I had an appointment today with the obstetrician. Im doing well and so is baby and we got a surprise scan. I really wasnt expecting one. Baby was upside down having a nice swim! Definetly put me in better form than i have been in lately with my job. Only complication is i will have to attend physiotherapy due to an old injury. Anyone else have to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

If you didnt get the money from the social welfare, you can still get it. get your doc to fill in form. theres a question asking why you didnt apply sooner, so just put that you thought you'd get paid or something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I'll be 31 weeks on Friday, can't believe I'm down to the single digits, where did the time go!!

Had my midwife's appointment today, all checked out well. Bump is measuring 30 weeks as it should be, BP, urine etc. all clear and babs heartbeat was thumping away like a freight train :D
    Head is down but not engaged so hopefully he will stay that way, I knew he had moved down though cos under my boobs wasn't as sore and my bump seems to have dropped.
    Told the midwife about my hands being a bit swollen, she said it could be the start of carpal tunnel syndrome and asked me if I wanted to be refered for physio but it's not causing me any problems other than my hands feeling tight in the mornings so I don't think I need any treatment :)

Ms2011 wrote: »
    I'll be 31 weeks on Friday, can't believe I'm down to the single digits, where did the time go!!

Had my midwife's appointment today, all checked out well. Bump is measuring 30 weeks as it should be, BP, urine etc. all clear and babs heartbeat was thumping away like a freight train :D
    Head is down but not engaged so hopefully he will stay that way, I knew he had moved down though cos under my boobs wasn't as sore and my bump seems to have dropped.
    Told the midwife about my hands being a bit swollen, she said it could be the start of carpal tunnel syndrome and asked me if I wanted to be refered for physio but it's not causing me any problems other than my hands feeling tight in the mornings so I don't think I need any treatment :)

MS I had the swollen hands too & I got some great advise which really helped me! What you do is Strech your hand out level to your arm (so all is straight) & then just tilt your hand up towards the celing with your fingers straight, keep it like that for a non & repeat, it eased off for me as soon as I started using that excercise! Hope it helps you too :) x

Ah no I jinxed myself by getting all excited about baby being engaged. The next day I woke up and baby was back to breech position which made it really difficult for me to see baby in the 3D scan I had (too 35 mins to get view of face! only took 2-3 mins on my last pregnancy!).
    Baby has stayed in breech position since then so no fear of him/her going anywhere soon :D

Dad11 I agree with Dublinlady, don't be so hard on yourself! chances are your partner is getting anxious as is completely normal getting so close to the due date. The poor girl is probably petrified that she'll go into labour and you wont be around if you're out for a drink or wont be fit to drive her to hospital if you're hungover.
    A treat doesn't have to cost money either, you could surprise her by making a nice meal or giving her a nice foot rub (would kill for one or both of those meself :D )

Ms2011 I'm glad you got on well with your appt. I hadn't heard of carpal tunnel as a symptom of pregnancy, mad the different ways it can affect you isn't it? hopefully it wont worsen.

Parnellie I've no advice regarding the physio, but lovely to hear you had a surprise scan! hopefully the next few weeks in work will fly. So rotten that your employers paid you nothing over Christmas, that's pretty heartless :(

Betsie/Cyning I hear you on the nervous hubbie. Well mine is fine normally, quite laid back. i did give him a minor heart attack when I went to the bathroom then groaned 'oh no'. I was only complaining because I remembered I hadn't ironed my work uniforms for the following day, but because I'd had a miss in the pass he thought there was something really wrong. I felt terrible for worrying him :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Betsie/Cyning I hear you on the nervous hubbie. Well mine is fine normally, quite laid back. i did give him a minor heart attack when I went to the bathroom then groaned 'oh no'. I was only complaining because I remembered I hadn't ironed my work uniforms for the following day, but because I'd had a miss in the pass he thought there was something really wrong. I felt terrible for worrying him :o

Thats why my husband so worried: We've had a miscarraige. Two bleeds in this pregnancy: one quite bad. Three trips to hospital with hyperemesis: with a week stay each time. Plus even though I've had 5/6 scans (is it awful I can't remember) he only saw babs once at 7 1/2 weeks and s/he was like a blob. So I'm hoping when I get a scan in another few weeks and he sees arms and legs and hears a heartbeat he might relax a bit... fingers crossed :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Yeah i have to go for another scan next week, doc just being cautious after the bleed but Im going to put oh mind at rest,

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

Having a good old feel of my bump today, trying to figure out whats what...i must say he feels massive to me!!36 weeks.....less than 4weeks...it seems such a long way away!!any recommendations for killing time??

Pippington - im36 & 5and baby is apparently now breech - i actually cant tell arse from head, arm from elbow or leg! nothing! im a disaster!! Im still a little embarrassed i didnt feel her turn in the last week...when he said she must have turned in the last 7 days i was like what?? seriously?! how could i not feel that! doh....!! Hopefully ill be more perceptive after she arrives!!!:eek:

At 36 weeks there's still a fair bit of fluid for him to swim around in, at 39 +3, I can feel my little guy wiggle his fingers!

I had a quick scan last Tuesday and the Tuesday and the difference in the amount of fluid was stark.

How do you feel now about the prospect of a section Dublinlady?

Im feeling an awful lot better about it now - thanks to the 'help please' thread! :) I think i just didnt fully appreciate what happens and how the recovery goes. I know its the safest option at the minute for my baby - so unless thinkgs change by tuesday i think i just have to accept it. Im just excited about meeting my little girl now really...and it is a plus that ill get to meet her sooner this way!! I suppose it was just the shock of it and my fear had been so big - but from what i gather now i dont need to be so scared :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

Dublinlady, a friend of mine who originally wanted an au natural home birth ended up having to have a section as the baby was breech..she was devastated, she had such a plan in place...but she had the section, up and about after 2 days and she said since she actually doesnt care that her plans didnt work out cos she has a lovely healthy baby! Baby gotta come out somehow...and at least its all a planned section..an emergency one would be super scary!but again baby has to come out! Glad to hear your feeling lots better about it! And i can completly understand not feeling the baby turning....sometimes i look down at my bump and see a mad amount of movement but if i hadnt been looking i wouldnt actually have noticed the movement!

On a more stupid note...cant find me fecking phone anywhere..im in the house by myself till 8pm..it has me quite panicked actually

Advertisement