Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I never got an internal until i was in actual labour. i think you reach a point where its 'the sooner the better', at 35 weeks babies are very strong, my guy was let home 26 hours after birth, was jaundiced until he was 6 weeks though.

My worst fear was my waters breaking in the supermarket or something like that, so i was quite happy it happened at home in bed but i was left questioning did i pee myself? or did my waters break? at 5am i went to the hospital (contractions were 2 mins apart at this stage) and they did a test and it confirmed my waters had broke.

The gyny told me that in France, they do internals from 5/6 months to determine if the cervix is closed, cos they believe that they can determine if a baby will be premature, and thus monitor the mums more. He also said that in the British/irish system, this is not the practice, because they believe that it can actually provoke premature births. However, scientific research has shown that the level of premature births is exactly the same between France and Britain, so whether they do an internal or not make no difference, and that he does just cos that's what they do... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I see what you mean with the first baby but for the second and so on the cervix is already open a small bit.

Each to their own i suppose? Just as long they arent doing it to get thier kicks! I remember a case a few years ago were a gp was giving internals all the time (for no apparent reason except to get his kicks) and he got done for it!

Quins5 wrote: »
    hi there,

I had 'show' during the night and a few odd feelings n aches on n off through early morning, I really started to get excited but now everything has come to a halt :(

Please tell me its not too long after a 'show' before the action starts?!?:o

x

Yeahhhhhh

i never had a show until i was in labour, hope its not too long.

Good luck!

I see what you mean with the first baby but for the second and so on the cervix is already open a small bit.

Each to their own i suppose? Just as long they arent doing it to get thier kicks! I remember a case a few years ago were a gp was giving internals all the time (for no apparent reason except to get his kicks) and he got done for it!

Oh he's definitely not doing it for kicks! :) I hardly notice him doing it cos we chat the whole way through the exam, he tells me about his wife and daughter, we talk about our holidays etc.

Oh he's definitely not doing it for kicks! :) I hardly notice him doing it cos we chat the whole way through the exam, he tells me about his wife and daughter, we talk about our holidays etc.

He sounds a bit like my dentist, she talks all the way through and i try to reply and bite her fingers. When will dentist realise i cant talk back when i have her fingers in my mouth...

Sounds like a nice gyny someone you can talk to rather be on a conveyor belt. I often felt like i was on a conveyor belt when i went the the antenatal clinic. First urine, then b.p., then bloods, then chat with nurse, then get killed for having sugar in my urine, then waiting for the consultant, a quick check of the notes and out of there. Nothing as personable as what your getting but then again i did go public, so i say that's where the difference is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

I had my 1st clinic appointment on Wednesday and i felt very much like i was on a convayer belt, and was sitting there over 3hours all just to be in with him for 3mins on more,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Why do ppl feel the need to tell you how awfully uncomfortable the last month is going to be when ur 35 weeks?! I mean I'm even getting it from men - how the hell would they know!!!! It's not like I'm comfy now! :)
    On the very big plus side I'm over my cold and back working and feel human again! In fact feel lovely - it mite be occurring to me that next year I'll have a one yr old! Can't wait!! Think I was so focused and worried about the baby part I forgot she was gonna grow up!!! I'm having a child!! It's a revelation!!! Hehe!
    Hope ye all doing well?
    Quin u in particular - hope there's something stirring!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Betsie Xr3i, that's the way it is in Kilkenny too sometimes, queue 2+ hours then rushed through midwife/consultant/bloods. I often found myself on the way home remembering things I'd forgotten to ask them and forgetting stuff they had told me!

Dublinlady that's brill that you're over your cold :) Don't mind people about the last month being uncomfortable. I found 6-8 months more uncomfortable when all the major stretching of my tum went on, I found the last month easier as I was used to carrying the extra weight by then.
    Plus the excitement of reaching the finish line :)

Quin I hope your absence here today is a good sign and your getting to meet your little baby very soon!

lol @ grindelwald biting the dentists fingers :D you'd think they'd know better than to try chat to you when they're working on teeth!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

hmm my belly has really dropped down today..and i had a bit of dark brown blood when i went to the bathroom...rang the hospital, they werent worried...but it makes me anxious!

pippington wrote: »
    hmm my belly has really dropped down today..and i had a bit of dark brown blood when i went to the bathroom...rang the hospital, they werent worried...but it makes me anxious!

Hey - if your anxious at all go to the hosp and get them to scan you at fetal assessment! Just for your own peace if mind! Was there alot of blood? At least brown which indicates its old apparently! You still getting 10 movements a day? I'm sure everything is absolutely fine so try not to worry! Your 34 weeks now so just think even if the baby came early it would be so so strong and you'd prob be out if hosp and home with ur baba in no time! Keep an eye on your movements and honestly if it were me and I was worrying at all I'd rock up to fetal assessment and let them tell me I'm over reacting - would make me feel better!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

I have calmed down since...no more blood and baby has been moving as normal! anytime ive been to see the midwife she keeps telling me she reckons i will possibly go early..i wish she hadnt said that cos now every twinge or anthing slightly different is giving me the sweats!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Quin I hope your absence here today is a good sign and your getting to meet your little baby very soon!

Its has been a few days.....

Its has been a few days.....

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

hi there,

I had 'show' during the night and a few odd feelings n aches on n off through early morning, I really started to get excited but now everything has come to a halt :(

Please tell me its not too long after a 'show' before the action starts?!?:o

x

with me it was exactly 48 hrs after the show! Hopefully you will have some good news soon, if it hasn't already happened, as I haven't been on here for a while to read all the updates! best of luck.

all is going well for me and my newest little man, he'll be 3 weeks tomorrow. Everything is so much easier than the first time around, i'm hoping it will continue that way! Hopefully everyone else is doing well with their new bundles, and good luck to those who are expecting soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Had my first Antenatal Class on Thursday, it was really good, I knew alot of it but it's reassuring to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak.

74 days left until baba is due, not that I'm counting or anything :p

Did something really supid yesterday. Was feeding the dogs and needed to get a tin of food down from on top of the press so instead of waiting the 5 minutes for my OH to get back from the shops I climbed up on the counter top to get it myself. I slipped getting back down, didn't hit my bump or anything and babs is fine (kicking away) but I twisted my back trying to catch myself so I woke up this morning in agony with my back :o
    I was so sick of asking 'can you get me this' 'can you do that for me' I just wanted to do something for myself but still I could kick myself for being so impatient :(:o

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Quins5

Just a quickie from my phone, our beautiful baby girl was born on Saturday n we r completely smitten n can't take our eyes off her, she's perfect :-)
    A very tough delivery but she got here

Emer Lily ;-) xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Just a quickie from my phone, our beautiful baby girl was born on Saturday n we r completely smitten n can't take our eyes off her, she's perfect :-)

Emer Lily ;-) xxx

Massive Congrats Quin & welcome baby Emer Lily! Great to hear everything is going so well :-) enjoy every minute with her xx

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Had my first Antenatal Class on Thursday, it was really good, I knew alot of it but it's reassuring to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak.

74 days left until baba is due, not that I'm counting or anything :p

Did something really supid yesterday. Was feeding the dogs and needed to get a tin of food down from on top of the press so instead of waiting the 5 minutes for my OH to get back from the shops I climbed up on the counter top to get it myself. I slipped getting back down, didn't hit my bump or anything and babs is fine (kicking away) but I twisted my back trying to catch myself so I woke up this morning in agony with my back :o
    I was so sick of asking 'can you get me this' 'can you do that for me' I just wanted to do something for myself but still I could kick myself for being so impatient :(:o

I fell off a chair early on in my pregnancy, it gave me an awful fright (got bad bruising on my legs but luckily didn't hit my belly) so I bought this, cheap, solid and much safer than a chair!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Emer Lily ;-) xxx

ah congratulations on the birth of your baby girl, enjoy celery minute of it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Emer Lily ;-) xxx

Congratulations and her name is beautiful!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Emer Lily ;-) xxx

Aw wow congratulations Quins5! I was thinking of you this morning seeing as we hadn't heard from you in a few days.
    Dying to hear full update, absolutely beautiful name :)

Ms2011, sorry to hear about your back. I know exactly what you mean though, it can be so frustrating not being able to do all the things you're used to due to pregnancy.
    I fell on my last pregnancy too, though was more embaressing/funny than sore. I was washing the windows and fell out the window.
    Thankfully we live in a bungalow so I didn't have far to fall.
    When I told me GP she burst out laughing :o I was only 13 weeks at the time and fell on my back so no harm done to baba at all. It was such a Mrs. Doyle (Fr. Ted) fall too :o:D

I had my ante natal appointment today (last one was October). I was hoping to find out the sex, but due to the way baby was all curled up down low in the womb, the Doctor was not able to tell me.
    She was lovely though and did try for a few minutes to find out, but baby just wasn't cooperating :)

I'm going to go for a private scan in the next few weeks, for peace of mind as much as to find out the sex.
    I just felt my appointment was really rushed today (seen doctor only in hospital, not midwife + bloods as I would do usually.

Just as well the doctor wasn't doing an internal examination, 3 times in the space of a 4 minute scan staff burst into the room looking to use the scanner.
    No apology or knock first!

Huge congrats quin!!! So glad she has arrived safe and sound - hope your doing ok yourself! X

Ms - be careful!! But I know exactly how ya feel - I'm constantly lifting things at work that I really shouldn't be... It's so hard not too - so bloody frustrating!!!

Cap - that story was no good for my stress incontinence!! :) seriously - falling out the window!!!!! What ya trying to do to me!!!! Hahahahaha!!!

Had gp apt today as part of combined care - Bp is up so have to keep an eye on it but think its ok. Feeling great other than that! 34 days to go.... So excited about it now! My patience is not good at the best of times so can't believe still have 5 weeks left!! So bad of me but when she said my Bp was up I secretly thought... Oh goody they'll have to get the baby out sooner.... Feel v. Guilty now... She's welcome to stay as long as she needs to 'be fully cooked'!! Can't believe how much I love her already :)

COngrats Quins5, glad it all went well and you have your little girl. Enjoy every minute of it!

Huge Congrats Quins5, beautiful name x

Thanks for the tip Ivy, I actually think I have a little stool thingy here somewhere I must root it out!

Cap, had a little giggle at the thoughts of you doing a Misses Doyle out the window, I'm blaming baby brain :D
    Hope you get to find out the sex of baba at a private scan, I have to say I love knowing, I feel like a know him just a little bit more :)

DL I am constantly feeling guilty about wishing my little man would just arrive already, I know he needs to stay in there for another while yet but I'm so impatient to meet him and get back to normal myself.
    I'm sure when they are teenagers we'll be looking back at the quiet pregnancy days with longing lol :D

Under my boobs, especially in the middle is so sore, feels like I've done about 50 sit ups, I presume everything is just getting more squashed now. I'll be 30 weeks on Friday yay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Emer Lily ;-) xxx

congrats on the safe arrival of little emer lily. hope mammy daddy and baby are doing well:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

MS2011 I'm in shock that you're already 30 weeks! It's flying through for you :)

Best o luck to all those who are due soon! Xxx

Tigeress wrote: »
    MS2011 I'm in shock that you're already 30 weeks! It's flying through for you :)

Best o luck to all those who are due soon! Xxx

Can't believe it myself, the days seem to dragging but in reality it's flying by!

How's little Nathan? Can you believe you've been a mammy for almost a whole month already :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

hey guys not sure if i told yas or not. ya know the way my sister in law was due xmas day? well we both ended up having our little girls on jan 5th. she was in waiting to be induced when i went in. she ended up havin an emergency section and had her little girl 4 hours before we had emily. mad or what.:rolleyes: she went over and i went under!! just thought id share.

good luck to everyone due soon!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 setlikejelly

congrats to all the new mums. I am still waiting, overdue since Sunday. Went to the hospital on Tuesday when I was 40weeks+2 and they done a sweep. then 24 hours later I lost the mucus plug and was very hopeful it was a sign of the baby coming, but no such luck. I rang the midwife who said not to come in unless there was constant contractions or waters break. now its Friday and every pain or kick i feel, i am thinking is this it...........just want to see my baby at this stage. Not back to the hospital till Tuesday......

• Advertisement

congrats to all the new mums. I am still waiting, overdue since Sunday. Went to the hospital on Tuesday when I was 40weeks+2 and they done a sweep. then 24 hours later I lost the mucus plug and was very hopeful it was a sign of the baby coming, but no such luck. I rang the midwife who said not to come in unless there was constant contractions or waters break. now its Friday and every pain or kick i feel, i am thinking is this it...........just want to see my baby at this stage. Not back to the hospital till Tuesday......

That's mad that the sweep made the mucus plug go... but nothing else. So whats their plan on Tuesday, another sweep...?

I am wondering what I'd say if they offered a sweep when i go in on Tuesday, I'd be 39 weeks but I cant walk with sciatica, I can feel the damage I'm doing to my back. Need to google this sweep this a bit further....

Advertisement