Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20% foreign people in Ireland now - highest in Europe

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Terry wrote:
    How do you know they are Nigerian?
    Is it 'cos they is black?

Maybe its because they are in the majority of the Africans here. Combined with the fact a Nigerian and a Somali or Kenyan look as alike as an Irishman and a Greek. They are both white but they still have differences.

Hagar- it probably seems higher because of where you went. Id reckon Blanch is about 30% foreign by now (regardless of what the useless CSO says, I read a stat on it re one immigrant dominated estate that claimed there was 5 Poles living in the area :confused: :rolleyes: ). However, in areas like Finglas and Ballyfermot you would be hard pressed to find many.

http://www.cso.ie/statistics/nationalityagegroup.htm

re my earlier point, hres the proof. According to this there are only 24 Romanians over 65? Now, its very rare to see any elderly foreigners here but the Romanians are an exception. Census seems to be another gov cock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Figure rises to 50% in my house!!!

To the poster that said immigration control at Dublin airport is a joke, I agree. especially having traveled to or from the US a few times. Or Japan. Even in France they are more stringent.

Two oulfellas in the booth checkin' passports. I went through the check ahead of my partner. Looked back waiting. The door to the back of the cubicle was open. An asian girl was in Queue 2. The oulfella checking queue 1 beckoned to his colleague and pointed (under the counter, unseen to the people in the queue) at the girl, for his colleague to have a proper look at her passport.
    What a joke of a system. Pensioned off guards, I'd say.
    Remember when the bus service to the airport was the last to get rid of conductors!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

DonJose wrote:
    Immigration will slow down but the immigrants will still trickle in and take more jobs from the Irish.
    Really? Take jobs from us Irish, eh?

Considering our unemployment is at an all time low, which jobs would these be then exactly?

Oh yes, the jobs we Irish no longer want to do.

It's basic economics. Economic immigrants are working and paying tax and that's a damn site more than the richest 5% in Ireland do (see last Sundays SBP).

Honestly, us Irish whinging about Immigration, I'm choking on the irony of it all. That alone should tell you all you need to know about the Irish character - we're plain old hypocrites.

The only issue I personally would have with immigrants, moreso those that have come over in the last 12 months, is a p*ss-poor standard of English.

You really need to seperate the economic from the cultural issues in any arguement involving the question of immigrants, otherwise it just turns into one big racist braying-fest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Considering our unemployment is at an all time low, which jobs would these be then exactly?

You have`nt been a young person looking for minimum wage work in a looonngggg time have you? It was tough enough for me 2 years ago, god knows what its like now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Has anyone found this report yet? I heard the 20% mentioned in passing on the radio either tuesday or yesterday and immediatly thought the presenter had got her sums wrong as the CSO figure is 10% as stated previously.

First time buyers are 20% that linked here

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

They took our jarbs *shakes pitchfork*

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

i like foreigners, the more the better in my opinion! they do the jobs that lazy irish cntns wont do and they dont complain about it, and theyre usually a hell of alot sounder than your typical irish national.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Someone has to work in Macs/Abrakebabra/whatnot to serve Irish drunks their well-earned burgers at the end of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

barclay2 wrote:
    Maybe im the only person here who feels like this, but i PREFER ireland now that there's people from all over the world living here. I like hearing different accents and languages, seeing different skin colours, getting to know people from different backgrounds etc, and i really like knowing that was lucky enough to be born and grow up in a place that so many people want to come live in.

And aside from short-term economic benefits such as filling job vacancies and moderating upward pressure on wages, having a population that reflects more than one cultural background is a good thing in my opinion. Each culture involves a unique view of the world and unique way of thinking, and if a country can integrate various cultures successfully, then i think it'll make the whole country more thoughtful and innovative.

very nice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

It's basic economics. Economic immigrants are working and paying tax and that's a damn site more than the richest 5% in Ireland do (see last Sundays SBP).
    There's more to economics than how much tax you pay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

mac123 wrote:
    they do the jobs that lazy irish cntns wont do
    Really? Like what?

We've had McDonalds in Ireland since 1977... God how ever did they find the staff with all the picky Irish lay-abouts? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Blackjack

tampopo wrote:

Two oulfellas in the booth checkin' passports. I went through the check ahead of my partner. Looked back waiting. The door to the back of the cubicle was open. An asian girl was in Queue 2. The oulfella checking queue 1 beckoned to his colleague and pointed (under the counter, unseen to the people in the queue) at the girl, for his colleague to have a proper look at her passport.
    What a joke of a system. Pensioned off guards, I'd say.
    Remember when the bus service to the airport was the last to get rid of conductors!

What exactly was wrong with this guy asking for a second opinion on a passport?. I'm puzzled. Have you never asked a colleague to take a look at something you are working on where you work?.

Further, did he make a scene?. Clearly not, if it was unseen to the people in the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

had a funny incident the other night when i was down playing a poker tournament in Colchester where i've recently moved to from Ireland.

Guy at the table started the whole mocking thing about Irish people when he heard my accent. We don't work, we rob people, and if we do work we take the jobs of good english people etc

He was quickly told to shut up by the rest of table, so that was fine. Turns out he is a security guard for a warehouse!

Felt it would be rude to say anything about 'nobody in Ireland would want to take your job - seriously - please keep it', but did find it kinda funny.

btw Blackjack (two posts up) - your name is racist, pls change

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Census seems to be another gov cock up.

Anybody here believe there are only 11,161 Chinese in Ireland. I've heard numbers of over 100,000 Chinese in Ireland. The majority are illegal, overstaying visas etc. Since they are illegal they won't show up on any census.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

DonJose wrote:
    Anybody here believe there are only 11,161 Chinese in Ireland. I've heard numbers of over 100,000 Chinese in Ireland. The majority are illegal, overstaying visas etc. Since they are illegal they won't show up on any census.

I heard the world is going to end in 1984.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Blackjack

btw Blackjack (two posts up) - your name is racist, pls change
    But I is Black?.

according to Roddy Doyle, we're all black

Its only natural that a person will look for a better paying job, so many have been created over the last couple of years that people upgrade from working in garages, cinemas, fast food joints, supermarkets etc. to better paid jobs.

Tyco are letting 178 people go in Shannon, where will these people find work. The high paying manufacturing jobs are being lost because this country is not competitive.

I remember when I started work in Germany in the early 90's there was plenty of work. I found a job in a factory where the only Germans were the managers, no German workers on the floor. Over the years the German economy slowed, unemployment rose, guess what, the Germans slowly came back to work in the factory because there was no work elsewhere. Trust me, the same thing will happen here.

Terry wrote:
    I heard the world is going to end in 1984.
    You probably hear a load of shíte, don't believe everything you hear.

"Presently there are 100,000 Chinese people living in Ireland, 95% of whom reside in the Dublin area."
    http://www.dragonmedialtd.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=4&Itemid=26

"the ICTU estimates that China alone accounts for up to 85,000 students."
    "Late last year, Tiao Wang ("looking forward with vision") was launched for the estimated 135,000 Chinese people living in Ireland."
    http://www.marketing.ie/apr06/article1.htm

May 11, 2004
    "At the same time, the number of Chinese students in Ireland has grown rapidly to over 20,000."
    http://english.people.com.cn/200405/11/eng20040511_142940.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

DonJose wrote:
    Its only natural that a person will look for a better paying job, so many have been created over the last couple of years that people upgrade from working in garages, cinemas, fast food joints, supermarkets etc. to better paid jobs.

Tyco are letting 178 people go in Shannon, where will these people find work. The high paying manufacturing jobs are being lost because this country is not competitive.

I remember when I started work in Germany in the early 90's there was plenty of work. I found a job in a factory where the only Germans were the managers, no German workers on the floor. Over the years the German economy slowed, unemployment rose, guess what, the Germans slowly came back to work in the factory because there was no work elsewhere. Trust me, the same thing will happen here.

No, builders and property developers keep saying that the economy will never slow down. So i think we are safe. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Nope, thats not what i said. Its all in your head mate.
    well you said that they all descend on a country when the economy's good and leave when it goes in the crapper. Sounds pretty similar to me

well you said that they all descend on a country when the economy's good and leave when it goes in the crapper. Sounds pretty similar to me

I never said they consume all the resources of the country, or whatever bull**** you were on about. All in your head.

As David 'sage for our times' McWilliams noted on Monday if they/we all left the housing market would nosedive.

Tink of teh negative equity!!!!!!!! OMG :eek: etc.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Have you got any evidence to back up this nonsensical piece of tripe?

The evidence is in the fact that we are taking in more immigrants per capita than the states who are net contributors. If you can't see that then you're unbelievably naive. Do you think we got all our money for nothing? No drawbacks whatsoever?
    barclay2 wrote:
    First of all, i have to point out that it is only 10% of the republic's population are foreign nationals.

10% is only the figure that we know of. You really think this state has a handle on the immigration levels?
    barclay2 wrote:
    Secondly, Mr Nice Guy, i have to disagree with some of what you've said.

Firstly, when you say people miss the point that "this is the EU's doing", what exactly do you mean? WHAT is the EU's doing? If you're referring to ireland's high rate of immigration, then i think what you've said is not fair.

What I mean is there is a plan underway on the part of the EU to establish a federal European entity and this is why nation states likely to oppose these plans - like Holland and the UK - are being denied the chance to vote on these matters.

The erosion of our sovereignty and our culture is part of the overall plan.
    barclay2 wrote:
    Our high rate of immigration is due above all else to our relative economic success compared to other developed countries, and this entirely welcome success in turn was due in no small part to Ireland's membership in the EU single market.

Ah yes the "economic prosperity" line. Judas got economic prosperity too when he got his thirty pieces of silver. Was it worth it?
    barclay2 wrote:
    And furthermore, the boom of recent years, particularly in construction, simply would not have been possible without immigrant workers - otherwise either enough workers would not have been available or wages would have been pushed up even higher, driving ireland's inflation and cost base even further upwards than it already is.

The "boom" in our economy was masterminded by the European Union and since we are not net contributors we are contributing by being the dumping ground for the non-nationals that the big nation states don't want. As Europe's whore we take it any way that's asked.
    barclay2 wrote:
    Secondly, Qualified Majority Voting already exists and hasnt hurt ireland's interests significantly, the new treaty will simply extend it to new policy areas.

WRONG. This is the myth that they are feeding gullible people like you.

If the EU's plans go ahead then our national veto will disappear in most areas. Areas funnily enough like justice and ASYLUM AND IMMIGRATION issues. Ronan Mullen in the Irish Examiner wrote an excellent article in 2005 spelling out the dangers of the new voting system:

"Some say this will give the French and Germans enormous clout, since they have 40% of the EU population between them. Given their economic and political influence, won't they be able to find another 13 countries with 25% of the EU population to support them? Will the likes of Poland, Malta, Luxembourg and Cyprus put up that much of a fight? Ireland will lose some of its voting strength, with its percentage of the vote in the Council of Ministers being reduced. And within five years we will lose our automatic right to a commissioner."

WAKE UP TO THE DANGER.
    barclay2 wrote:
    Third, France and Germany combined make up less than a third of the EU's population, not 40%, and you dont specify why small nations would just "do what the big nations tell them to do" (especially since they'd need 13 smaller nations to form a qualified majority). Why would small nations just fall in line in a system where each state is legally equal? Nor do you specify why those big nations would necessarily agree with EACH OTHER in the first place. Right now France and Germany have huge disagreements over the future of the Euro (http://www.dailyreckoning.co.uk/article/thefrancogermaneurodebate0355.html).

I think the extract I gave above shows what folly this is. You have swallowed the myth.
    barclay2 wrote:
    Fourth, regard Nice and the fact that the parties "forced" a second vote, so the hell what?

So the hell what? They pissed all over Irish democracy that's what.

James Connolly was carried into Kilmainham Gaol on a f*cking stretcher, was propped up on a chair and was shot - and for what? For people like you to come along and not give a sh*t about the freedom which you were given.

Makes me f*cking sick.
    barclay2 wrote:
    Nobody can force the country to vote differently, if we want a referendum passed or rejected then we just have to turn out and vote. Thats what happened in the second Nice referendum, turnout in the first one having been as low as around 30% or so.

Ah yes the "low turnout" defense. I was wondering when it would show up. Here's my response - if the original vote with its low turnout had produced a yes, would there have been a second vote taken? F*ck no.

Instead the people who actually bothered to get up off their arses and make their feelings head were ignored and the f*cking idiots who caved in to the scaremongering about our position in the EU being 'under threat' got to decide Ireland's fate. For shame.
    barclay2 wrote:
    Fifth and finally, i think we're hardly a "dumping ground" for people that other european nations dont want. We're (for now at least) a uniquely attractive destination for other europeans who want to work, we're an economy that has benefited from migrant workers filling job vacancies and keeping wages from spiralling even higher, and other european nations DO want these people e.g. the polish government is trying to attract emigrants to come home for economic reasons, http://www.eubusiness.com/Poland/1190222221.36

Blah, blah, blah. I've heard the party political broadcasts plenty of times. Shouldn't you be at the Mahon Tribunal cheering on the 'lovable rogue' Bertie and toasting how great our country is?
    the syco wrote:
    You reap what you sow. FG didn't get anything, as they sowed nothing.

FG didn't sow lies and bullsh*t which FF did so yes FG and Labour ddin't get anything.
    the syco wrote:
    They opposed FF, but only opposed, and didn't offer any realistic alternatives, only idealistic alternatives, which sounded great, but wouldn't get done.

It was Ahern who fed the gullible sheep of the country lies about a "magic formula" which would sort out his tribunal woes. This of course was horse manure. It was Harney and co who promised the health service would improve - and hospital facilities have been closing down with people denied access.
    the syco wrote:
    A lot of people will still associate FG with unemployed 1980's Ireland, and FF with the jobs. True, there is an argument that FF were in the right place, at the right time, as the Celtic Tiger would have happened regardless, even if FG was left in power, but they weren't, and thus FF got that "bonus point" in history. This will be remembered when people go to the polls to vote.

Whatever lets the naive people sleep at night. Many like myself will still associate FF with the stench of corruption and shake our heads at the idiocy of those around us who either ignore it or turn a blind eye to it.

Connolly died for this? Connolly died for f*ckwits who cheer a lying Taoiseach and ignore the erosion of our democratic rights by faceless bureaucrats in Brussels?

What a con.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Things will all even out in the end .Most countries have influxes of immigrants for one reason or another.Now that we are a developed nation we have to expect the same. It will do the country good .Pity we could not get some new blood into the corrupt political system instead of the same old brown envelope collectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Honestly, us Irish whinging about Immigration, I'm choking on the irony of it all. That alone should tell you all you need to know about the Irish character - we're plain old hypocrites.
    Hypocrisy is the act of professing beliefs that you do not truly have. I have never emigrated, so being against immigration does not make me a hypocrite*. The fact that people from the same country as me have emigrated is irrelevant
    . It would only be relevant in a country where everyone was required to have the same point of view on everything

now if hagar posted from france that he's against immigration....;)

*i'm not. Just making a point

The evidence is in the fact that we are taking in more immigrants per capita than the states who are net contributors. If you can't see that then you're unbelievably naive. Do you think we got all our money for nothing? No drawbacks whatsoever?

10% is only the figure that we know of. You really think this state has a handle on the immigration levels?

What I mean is there is a plan underway on the part of the EU to establish a federal European entity and this is why nation states likely to oppose these plans - like Holland and the UK - are being denied the chance to vote on these matters.

The erosion of our sovereignty and our culture is part of the overall plan.

Ah yes the "economic prosperity" line. Judas got economic prosperity too when he got his thirty pieces of silver. Was it worth it?

The "boom" in our economy was masterminded by the European Union and since we are not net contributors we are contributing by being the dumping ground for the non-nationals that the big nation states don't want. As Europe's whore we take it any way that's asked.

WRONG. This is the myth that they are feeding gullible people like you.

If the EU's plans go ahead then our national veto will disappear in most areas. Areas funnily enough like justice and ASYLUM AND IMMIGRATION issues. Ronan Mullen in the Irish Examiner wrote an excellent article in 2005 spelling out the dangers of the new voting system:

"Some say this will give the French and Germans enormous clout, since they have 40% of the EU population between them. Given their economic and political influence, won't they be able to find another 13 countries with 25% of the EU population to support them? Will the likes of Poland, Malta, Luxembourg and Cyprus put up that much of a fight? Ireland will lose some of its voting strength, with its percentage of the vote in the Council of Ministers being reduced. And within five years we will lose our automatic right to a commissioner."

WAKE UP TO THE DANGER.

I think the extract I gave above shows what folly this is. You have swallowed the myth.

So the hell what? They pissed all over Irish democracy that's what.

James Connolly was carried into Kilmainham Gaol on a f*cking stretcher, was propped up on a chair and was shot - and for what? For people like you to come along and not give a sh*t about the freedom which you were given.

Makes me f*cking sick.

Ah yes the "low turnout" defense. I was wondering when it would show up. Here's my response - if the original vote with its low turnout had produced a yes, would there have been a second vote taken? F*ck no.

Instead the people who actually bothered to get up off their arses and make their feelings head were ignored and the f*cking idiots who caved in to the scaremongering about our position in the EU being 'under threat' got to decide Ireland's fate. For shame.

Blah, blah, blah. I've heard the party political broadcasts plenty of times. Shouldn't you be at the Mahon Tribunal cheering on the 'lovable rogue' Bertie and toasting how great our country is?

FG didn't sow lies and bullsh*t which FF did so yes FG and Labour ddin't get anything.

It was Ahern who fed the gullible sheep of the country lies about a "magic formula" which would sort out his tribunal woes. This of course was horse manure. It was Harney and co who promised the health service would improve - and hospital facilities have been closing down with people denied access.

Whatever lets the naive people sleep at night. Many like myself will still associate FF with the stench of corruption and shake our heads at the idiocy of those around us who either ignore it or turn a blind eye to it.

Connolly died for this? Connolly died for f*ckwits who cheer a lying Taoiseach and ignore the erosion of our democratic rights by faceless bureaucrats in Brussels?

What a con.

Radicalist. Shinner. Bull****.

Makes me f*cking sick.

What did Samuel Johnson say? 'Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel'?

So true.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

Well I've no problem with foreigners coming here... I've signed & witnessed the citizenship application for 6 upstanding individuals who've worked here for about 7 years and want to throw in their lot with us permanently. My fiancée is Malaysian and my arms are wide open to anyone who actually wants to integrate and contribute. But I've no problems with spongers or opportunists being unceremoniously kicked out either.

We have big problems in our statistics though. If the official census figures think there are only 11,000 Chinese in Ireland then how the hell can our statisticians be trusted to give reliable information for present & future service provision? Schools! I was in Malaysia for the night of the last census, but when I met the invigilator she said that they only gain access to about 30% of apartments. She had tried many times to contact my 3 neighbouring apartments and failed. I asked could they not just post in letterbox and she said no.

If that's true and it wasn't just on the doorstep chitchat then maybe that's part of the reason the official figures are so different from the figures of the organisations that represent the various groups. I'd say there is a far higher % of foreigners living in apartments. So obvious really... but rules are rules! Also because rents are high and some people are here to save money there are far more people living in an aprtment than a landlord might put on his/her insurance. Quite a few people don't open the door because they fear they'll have problems.

Advertisement