Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best coffee in Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

There's a relatively new place on South Anne Street called Dublin Barista Company. It's currently the office favourite.

It will have to be pretty amazing to compete with Coffee Angel ! How does it compare? I will try it next time I'm around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

There's a relatively new place on South Anne Street called Dublin Barista Company. It's currently the office favourite.

were they not up beside the Dandelion near the LUAS stop? Mostly Bald barista coffee back then. Pretty good but not Coffee Angel standard...

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mcofferon

If you're ever in Carrickmines retail park, theres an Italian guy in between Smiths and Halfords in a little van. Don't know the name of it.

Delicious coffee.

That's Nick's Coffee - his mobile unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

Jezek wrote: »
    It will have to be pretty amazing to compete with Coffee Angel ! How does it compare? I will try it next time I'm around.
    It's better than most and would be among my faves in the city but for me Coffee Angel is still tops. That said, I still haven't tried 3FE.

I was in Kaph (Dublin, Drury street) yesterday and had a lovely SO kenyan shot and a capuccino made with a hasbean blend. Recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

The Farmhouse Café on the Long Mile Road (beside Aldi) is the best coffee i've had!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Anybody try the ikea coffee?

I didn't think much of it but I know a handfull of people that seem to like it.

There is a new place at the side of Arnotts, Dublin. Joe coffee, I think it's called. They had their own blends, squaremile and coffee mojo. There were chemexes, clevers, etc on sale as well. 3 different filters in a V60 brew bar...so deffo worth a visit.

There is a new place at the side of Arnotts, Dublin. Joe coffee, I think it's called. They had their own blends, squaremile and coffee mojo. There were chemexes, clevers, etc on sale as well. 3 different filters in a V60 brew bar...so deffo worth a visit.

I think that's an It's A Bagel venture....

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    I think that's an It's A Bagel venture....

I don't know, I know its miles ahead from itsa...

• Advertisement

I don't know, I know its miles ahead from itsa...

Just confirmed, it really is part of the itsa "family".

Just confirmed, it really is part of the itsa "family".

hmm, i think we are probably seeing the first bigger company foray into third wave (in ireland).

How did you confirm by the way? They have no online presence that I can find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

No harm in the mainstream guys using quality beans and gear. Hopefully they'll have decent stock turnover to ensure beans are fresh (unlike Avoca where I've seen 3 month old bags of Hasbean).

If anyone tries them please post up some feedback.

No harm in the mainstream guys using quality beans and gear. Hopefully they'll have decent stock turnover to ensure beans are fresh (unlike Avoca where I've seen 3 month old bags of Hasbean).

If anyone tries them please post up some feedback.

I had a shot from their blend. Balanced, italian-style shot, very nice but nothing revolutionary. Well pulled though.

While I was there the head barista ( had a chat with him, he seemed v. knowledgeable ) was dialing in a mexican SO for espresso, he mentioned that it was an unbalanced, crazy coffee. That right there seems like the most encouraging part.

Their beans were brand fresh.I was in Vice minutes before, all their squaremile was a couple of weeks old. Squaremile in Joe was 2 days old. They also had sweetshop on offer and the guy said he might also offer shots of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Il Panorama, a cafe in Howth by the harbour. Run and staffed by Italians, so proper Italian coffee, and my absolute favourite for lattes. Worth getting the Dart to Howth just to go there! Turns into a wine bar in the evening. Great sandwiches too! ;-)

hmm, i think we are probably seeing the first bigger company foray into third wave (in ireland).

How did you confirm by the way? They have no online presence that I can find.

we're BFFs on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Apparently opening up soon on Pembroke Street aswell....

This CoffeeAngel now that it's open.....mother of god! Can't get enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

Someone else mentioned it in this thread but I don't know why it hasnt more fo a following, The Science Gallery Cafe Coffee is very good, im particularly fond of their Henry blend, (cloudpicker beans) their 'Sam' blend is just a little on the sharp side for me.

If anyone is southside, I would highly recommend Bear Market Coffee in Blackrock, their smooth again a favourite of mine now for my daily fix.

If I find myself out in Sandyford I will be checking out The Coffee Shot, the proprieter Mark is a really nice guy and used to be (wasted) as the manager in Starbucks Blackrock.
    A vote for Cup on Nassau St, the use Has Bean Beans, lovely staff and a large coffee is good value at 2.50 !

Hmmmm....wouldn't agree ! after reading a Lovin Dublin twitter chat on the best coffee in Dublin, I went to Cup on Nassau st today, definitely a top notch cup of coffee, but I found €3.10 a bit on the pricey side for a take out regular cappuccino.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 oddsoxrocks

3 FE is hands down the best coffee experience in capital...if not the country. What they do there is unique in my opinion.

3 FE is hands down the best coffee experience in capital...if not the country. What they do there is unique in my opinion.

I really like 3FE, but don't really buy that they are the best out there. What makes them so unique in comparison to other 3rd wave places?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

I really like 3FE, but don't really buy that they are the best out there. What makes them so unique in comparison to other 3rd wave places?

i'd say it's just reputation

Consistency, a lack of bulls$hit, good people and, dare I say, passion. I don't think any one person can say a coffee operation is "the best" as there's lot of subjective reasons for saying that but.... 3FE are, by any measure, certainly frontrunners.

Consistency, a lack of bulls$hit, good people and, dare I say, passion. I don't think any one person can say a coffee operation is "the best" as there's lot of subjective reasons for saying that but.... 3FE are, by any measure, certainly frontrunners.

I'll agree with all of that. I'm a big 3FE fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

No Love for Sasha? In house roaster, people that are really into and know about their product.
    Plus a lovely place with amazing pastries.

The 3FE shop is cold and lacks atmosphere imo

No Love for Sasha? In house roaster, people that are really into and know about their product.
    Plus a lovely place with amazing pastries.

The 3FE shop is cold and lacks atmosphere imo

Sasha coffee really failed to impress me. Tried two different roasts, only mediocre. Bought a bag to take home as well, and again not impressed. But this is ages ago, so don't know if they have improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

Sasha coffee really failed to impress me. Tried two different roasts, only mediocre. Bought a bag to take home as well, and again not impressed. But this is ages ago, so don't know if they have improved.

Oh really? It's mostly what I use at home now. It really impresses me.
    I like smooth rounded coffee so really ticks my boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

I was in Kaph (Dublin, Drury street) yesterday and had a lovely SO kenyan shot and a capuccino made with a hasbean blend. Recommended.

Another vote for Kaph. Great coffee and tea *and* lovely staff. I went there to study and never felt like I outstayed my welcome. Tried the Kenyan americano - good stuff.

Oh and they sell paleo deserts which suits me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

I didnt think this warranted its own thread, and this seemed like the best place to put it, but this made me chuckle:

http://usethehandle.tumblr.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Will check out 3FE tomorrow methinks :) The food looks great!

• Advertisement

It seems the big boys still can't get good coffee exactly right .. I've been to Joe Coffee a few times since it opened and I have to say I've been disappointed.

Fresh Coffee retail: The freshly roasted squaremile from 3 weeks ago is still sitting there, waiting to be sold...stale by this stage. They then tried to sell me a 3 week old James Gourmet bean that they use for brewing. It's just repackaged with no info, I had to ask a few times for any info. I asked if it was a single origin, the guy behind the counter kept insisting yes, it's a single origin blend. I asked to see the bag with info, It's a kenyan SO, I say 3 weeks is too old, he says we got a shipment today, I'll get you a bag. I say ok, and then get asked to pay 12 euro - I pay but looked it up online, it costs 6 pound to buy from James Gourmet..so I got ripped off.

The cool-looking brew bar :This doesn't get used very often, and the person manning it runs around doing 100 other things at the same time. My coffee was ok both times, but it took very long to make and the confusion it caused was a bit cringe-inducing.

Generally, people don't have too much knowledge and cant help you, they have a few buzzwords - smooth, chocolate etc that they will throw at you, but if you ask about processing their eyes glaze over....now it might be a couple of the people there but I don't think they are maintaining their own standards...

Overall, not a bad place to stop for a cup, but a lot of wrinkles to be smoothed over.

Advertisement