Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pilonidal sinus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Goldenquick

Thank you Reginald, wouldn't it be great if this worked for everyone and saved them all the pain they go through. :) We're certainly going to keep it up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭SilverSparkle

I am waiting for my 4th op now. The last one was to get rid of the infection and the next one is to remove the problem. I have to wait until June 24th because of college exams etc.

However i was looking at my PS and i rubbed my finger along it and it seemed to be a bit raised up compared to last week. I don't know if this is scar tissue or an infection coming back. I haven't felt any pain though so i pressume it is scar tissue or granulated tissue. I have to go to college next week so I will call into the nurse and ask her does she think I should see my doctor.

Also I tried the salt shot glass trick a while back too on the reccomendation of Reginald. It helped me too!

I hope it is not an infection coming back SilverSparkle, you really don't need this with your exams coming up.

I hope it isn't either.

Exams start on Monday and finish on May 20th. The first date they gave me for the next oop was May 20th. So they said they would wait until I got back from holidays to do it.

I will see what the nurse says on Monday afternoon,
    Fingers crossed:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Dunno when my Op is, still havn't got a phone call.

On another note, does anyone know about the exercise thing? I'm finding gym work very painful nowadays :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 hellokitty10

ahh thanks goldenquick ur very kind..

Pain unfortunately seems to be getting worse and Im afraid that it might be getting infected, Im sorry but the PHN's dont seem to know anything and they all tell you something different, one just left there and im now again in bits..all i seem to them is a number, rush in get the job done as fast as possible and rush out.. :mad: whatever happened to been a little nice and trying to sympatise with someone and possibly give a little advise or answer questions we may have..aggrr sorry rant over..

question: ive the open wound, 10 post op and since day 6 she decided to change dressing every 2 days, now from what im reading on websites this should ideally be dressed twice a day..if not at least once a day..shurly every 48 hours is really leaving the wound open to infection ? am i wrong here? bear in mind the wound is 2 inches deep..

Fingers crossed for you SilverSparkle, good luck at the nurse and I will be thinking of you.

antomoro, I would seek advice about doing gym work while you have that.

hellokitty, I'm so sorry your pain is getting worse and that the PHN are not more understanding. We have 3 great PHN's here, they are so very good and I could not praise them enough for their care and empathy. But I know what you mean about being just a number, I myself had an op on 9th March and am still not recovered (not for a sinus), like you, I feel as if I am only a number, I was to be called back 3/4 weeks from that date but am still waiting and after numerous phone calls have to go back this Thurs. When I was being released from hospital I was told that if my condition after op did not settle down, to ring the hospital and speak to one of the surgeon's team, this I did after a week. I told the Doctor I was speaking to what was happening and his reply to me was, "and this concerns you?". I was flabbergasted and actually took the phone down from my ear and sat staring at it, wondering if I had heard him right. Unbelievable! He also told me I should go to my GP or to 'drop' into A & E, which is 1.5 hours away. I certainly hope I do not meet up with him this week.

What has helped me through my pain, besides painkillers and numerous antibiotics, is that I started a journal. I don't write in it every day as some days I can't bear to even waken up knowing what I have to face again and wondering if there will ever be an end to it, but the days I do write in it, help me a lot. I let out all my anger and frustration in it and it cleanses my mind at least for a time.

I honestly don't know about the wound or how often it should be dressed, sorry I can't advise you on that but do get some advice on it, it is your right to know and don't be put off by anyone's poor attitude. We do that too much in Ireland I'm afraid and I was guilty of it all my life myself but I've learned that the only way I will know anything is to ask, I have a notebook on the ready to take with me on Thurs and will write down everything lol.

Fingers crossed for you SilverSparkle, good luck at the nurse and I will be thinking of you.

Thanks!

So I went to the nurse after my exam in college today. She said she has no concerns about my wound. That the purple colour is not a colour to worry about. And that if the wound was red that we would start to worry then!

She had a good luck at it and asked did it hurt and put pressure around it. Nothing hurt!

Looks like I'm doing good for now!

I'm so pleased for you SilverSparkle, that must be a great relief to hear. :)

Thanks! Me too. It is such a relief. Now I can concentrate on these exams! If only everyone could be as lucky as me after their op...

• Advertisement

17th of June, in Mt Carmel for my 2nd Op!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ash.c

just a quick update...
    had 4th op 5 weeks ago yesterday, going for daily dressings,, were trying to spread it every 2nd day, was back with consultant today who said he doesnt want to cut any corners so go back to daily dressings for at least the next 8 weeks, he checked the wound and said its loking perfect but a small part of it was healing too quick (over granulating) so i got silver injected into it????? and they also burned part of the skin with nitrogen to stop it healing, back to see him in 4 weeks...

fingers crossed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 tiger21

hi guys, can i join the club?
    I've had one of these for about a year,never knew what it was and never did anything about it until recently. I never had much bother with it, but i showed it to a doctor recently, he referred me to a surgeon and he tells me im going to need surgery, he says its a big enough one. So im having an operation on the 15th of June.

Funny ive had this so long and i always thought it was something weird that only i had, then i found out it had a name so i typed it into google and found a load of people with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Oh guys, this is just an awful thing.

well, i had my op at the end of April. I think i caught mine early, and it wasnt too bad. so they stitched it up and actually let me home the day after the op.

but then ten days later it became so unbelievably painful that i had to go back to hospital. It was infected so they took out the stitches and decided to let it heal from the inside out (which they prob should have done in the first place).
    I have a public health nurse coming every day to change the dressing.
    The important thing is to keep it really clean.

If you're having the operation, try and make sure they don't close it up...there's like a 90% chance of it getting infected...believe me it is so so painful and i just ended up having it open anyways.
    I'm hoping that i'll be better soon because like everyone else in this forum I'm getting really down, I can't do anything or go out...I'm doing better but I just want to be completely healed. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lis09

Hey everyone! Never posted anything here before but wanted to get some advice about this. I found out I had a pilonidal abscess about a month ago. Went to the doc with a sore tail bone and was sent home. A few days later I knew somthing wasn't right as the pain was terrible, couldn't stop crying and was given painkillers and anti biotics. Then, 3 days later, on 2nd May, I just had to go to hospital. That night I was taken in to theatre and the abscess drained. The op was meant to last 10 minutes but apparenty, it lasted for 20.

I have been attending my local clinic for 4 weeks now and the wound is almost closed, which is great news. But, I have been told that there is a possibility that I will have to go back for a second operation to actually remove whatever is in there. Does anyone know if this is true? One of the nurses in the clinic said that the infection has to be gone first (which is why they drain) and then once it's closed etc, they need to operate again. I have an appointment in 4 weeks to see my surgeon/ his team but I can't stop thinking about this.

Does anyone know if this is true?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 hellokitty10

hey guys havent been on in a bit, 6 weeks post op tomorrow and now going for dressings every 2nd day.. pain just about gone wooo hooo at last.. can finally see the light at the end of the tunnell.. ;o)
    ash c we must have had the op around the same time.. do you mind me asking how deep was yours.. im just concerned about what you were told about still having to get yours dressed every day cause it was healing too quick,. mine was 2 inches and its only about 2 cm's now.. they also said to me one bit is healing faster than the other.. im due back to the surgeon in 2 weeks so ill check to see what he thinks too.. although he wasnt very helpful the last time i asked questions.. (told me too google the answers)
    im just so so scared this comes back again..or it doesnt heal correctly i just cannot go through this again.. as im sure you know yourself!!
    all the best with the healing and sorry to see more people joining after discovering you have this terrible thing.. take care.. ps i found the pilonidal.org website very very helpful

Just saw this thread and though it interesting!

I have had one for the past three year and I have had numerous antibiotics for it! My GP won't refer me to have it removed even though it would be infected every 8 weeks or so and is causing me great discomfort. This I have told him.

I suppose I am wondering should I go back and discuss it with him again? My problem is that I travel on a bus for 11 hours every weekend so sitting down is very unconfortable and the PS is badly inflamed and at bursting point after I finish travelling!

Anybody have any idea's on what I should do? I am a 21 year old female student btw!

lis09 wrote: »
    Hey everyone! Never posted anything here before but wanted to get some advice about this. I found out I had a pilonidal abscess about a month ago. Went to the doc with a sore tail bone and was sent home. A few days later I knew somthing wasn't right as the pain was terrible, couldn't stop crying and was given painkillers and anti biotics. Then, 3 days later, on 2nd May, I just had to go to hospital. That night I was taken in to theatre and the abscess drained. The op was meant to last 10 minutes but apparenty, it lasted for 20.

I have been attending my local clinic for 4 weeks now and the wound is almost closed, which is great news. But, I have been told that there is a possibility that I will have to go back for a second operation to actually remove whatever is in there. Does anyone know if this is true? One of the nurses in the clinic said that the infection has to be gone first (which is why they drain) and then once it's closed etc, they need to operate again. I have an appointment in 4 weeks to see my surgeon/ his team but I can't stop thinking about this.

Does anyone know if this is true?

Yes you are in a similar situation as me. I had surgery in A&E a week before Christmas, Surgery by my GP in Jan.... And was then referred to a surgeon in hospital. In March I had surgery to remove any infection. And on June 24th I will have more surgery to widen the area and hopefully get rid of the root of the problem....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lis09

Yes you are in a similar situation as me. I had surgery in A&E a week before Christmas, Surgery by my GP in Jan.... And was then referred to a surgeon in hospital. In March I had surgery to remove any infection. And on June 24th I will have more surgery to widen the area and hopefully get rid of the root of the problem....
    I was really hoping that they would decide not to do the second op and that it wasn't necessary?? My brother had the same thing and I don't think he was told to go back for another operation. Well, I'll find out on 13th July I guess, hading back to the surgeon then.

I am really freaking out, but I suppose if we didn't have to go back, then there would be a huge chance of it reaccuring. There are so many horror stories about this. Best of luck on the 24th! Do let us know how you got on!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ash.c

sent u PM hellokitty10

• Advertisement

i have this at the mo, last time it flared up was 4 years ago, just took antibiotics then and cleared up ok...no openings just the abscess under my skin at the left side of the cleft. i just want to know what to do and could really use some help from people who know as you all seem like you know the score (thank god!)

was put on antibiotics on monday. went back to the doctor on wednesday as it hadnt gotten any better and i was really worried that it would burst inside as it hadnt risen to the skin. gave me a letter for a&e and said to go if the pain gets worse. woke up on thurs and it was a lot better, still painful but not as swollen. had been getting a little better, but quite sore again today.

should i go to a&e anyways and see what they say? or should i try to get referred to a surgeon through my gp? i'm really confused as i dont know if its bad enough at the mo to be admitted through a&e...help please!

i'm also really confused as to why i have this in the first place. i have very pale skin, and little or no hair on my body, and the hair i do have on my body is blonde and fine - even my GP had a good laugh at that one! i did chip my tailbone twice about 8 years ago, could this have contributed? i find the info on the net really general...and again, I know i shouldnt be embarrassed but its hard not to be when you're walkin around like John Wayne :)

any help you guys have would be great...thanks a mill! and best of luck to anyone else going through it...i feel your pain quite literally!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Babypanda

Haven't posted here in a while,
    Still waiting on an operation.. I got a letter from the doctor the other day that told me i didn't need the operation, so i went down to my doctor and asked to refered to a different doctor and cancelled the appointment that i got in the post. Im on my 6th or 7th lump now since i was told i didnt need the operation, and the pain is getting extremally sorer each time one comes up. :( Im getting really sick of this now and really wish it would all end, around on my third lump i was a lil depressed and i wrote a poem on how i was feeling, so if i end up seening the same doctorin the end up im going to read it to him and tell him this is how i felt because he said i didn't need the operation and if he just gave me it in the first place i would have never felt like this!! :(:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 tiger21

I had an operation last wednesday for one of these. Was left with an open wound. On friday they put a Vacuum dressing on it.
    They said this is the best way to heal the wound cleanly with little chance of infection and reoccurence.
    It sucks all the fluid and infectious material out of the wound into a little pack which i have to carry around with me.
    Nurse saw it today when changing the dressing and said it will take 2 or 3 weeks to heal.
    I don't look too cool carrying this thing round with me but it will be worth it if it heals cleanly in 3 weeks and im finished of it.

Any of ye recieve vac therapy??
    http://www.kci1.com/KCI1/vactherapy

Im sick of having it now! i miss my life, i miss going out wit my friends at weekends and not caring or worring about my back any more! I can't even mess around with my sister or my puppy bescause it hurts to moveand the days where i can just get out of bed because the pain is that bad it's all just a contiunous battle that i can't win, it's just come to the stage where i don't think its going to end any more and just keep going on with this pain. If the doctor just brang me in i wouldn't be having these flare ups now and feeling so much pain!

Babypanda I hope you get news on an operation soon. I am going in for my next one tomorrow and I know what you mean about not being able to stuff. You can get so frustrated at home waiting for news...

Thank you sliver sparkle, it does get really anoying because you can't do anyting! I even wrote to the minster of health today telling her and saying how bad the hospital im with is. As i said to her," The hospital Don't see me as a human being, im just another number in line"

Op today!!

Op today!!

Good luck!

So I had mine yesterday.. had to wait until 4pm to be taken to thetheatre and I was starving!!! The surgeon stitched it closed and I was kept in over night... I have to see my surgeon next tuesday so he can have a look at the wound and see will he keep the stitches in or not...

There isn't a lot of pain except when I had a nap today I must have lay on my back for a while as I woke up with a bit of pain

On my third day of dressings so far and things are going much better than last time. Lovely stuff :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 domall

Hi everyone,

I think I briefly came acros this discussion before during my 'research' but never read it fully. I have now and have to say that I'm glad I found it, but also a bit deflated by all the 'unfortunate' stories. Here's mine:

I had (what I found out by my research & online diagnosis, and then confirmed by GP) my Pilonidal Sinus for I think probably 2 &1/2 to 3 years before I finally got it seen to at my GP. My situation was the same as a lot of people I think, every now and again (maybe once or twice a month) it would flare up, this spot/boil type of thing at the very base of my spine, just in the top of the cleft. For me, it really never seemed bad enough to get checked, it would only be uncomforatble for a few days & then settle down.

I finally went to my GP with it when it flared up, worse than ever, in early March 2010. It was very swollen, tender and was 'weeping'. The GP told me what it was by the description, before she even looked at it (of course she examined it fully then). She put me on a course of antibiotics as it was infected, and referred me to a surgeon (MGH Castlebar). I was seen by the surgeon about 2-3 weeks after my GP visit and he said yes, it would have to be operated on, but not yet, as it was still infected. So I went on another course of 2 different tablets and eventually (after being on antibiotics 21 out of 40 days), went in for surgery in early May after some further related complications which gave me more cause for concern - I has swelling & tendernes in my lymph nodes & tracts around the PS area.

So I had the surgery under a general anesthetic, went in Monday morn & was out Wednesday afternoon. Have to say it was all relatively painless even immediately after surgery (course I was on Morphine, but the pain never came). I had an open wound of about 4-5cm long, maybe 2cm across and about 2-3cm deep. I had daily dressings done by the Public Health Nurse for 3 weeks (those ladies are absolute saints I think), then went to every 2nd day for 1 or 2 weeks and then back to daily dressings when my aunt (a nurse) started doing them for me as it was convenient & recovery had been going so well.

So 6 weeks after surgery (last week) I went back to the consultant & he said it was all looking good and I didn't need dressings anymore, but I have been keeping a single one on for another week or so just to be safe. By all accounts on here and other sites, mine has been a relatively (very) successful story, so far. But after reading all the reports here, I'm a bit deflated and worried that I might be a long way off being clear of it yet.

I've started back to jogging last week (and football this week) as I'm an active person, and everything's going well, I'm just woried now after reading these stories. My consultant said there's a 30% chance of recurrence in general, & he told me to use Immac or something similar once a week for a year to keep hair from around the area (which I haven't done yet but I plan to tonight or the next night). There seems to already be hair growing out from the wound now (only 7 & 1/2 weeks after surgery), so I think I need to get on top of that. I keep it very clean & shower every day like, so I think I'm doing all I can at the moment.

I'd be devastated if it reocurred, I can't imagine going through it all again. Like as I said, pain wasn't a major issue for me (never as painful after surgery as it was before), but being off work, no activity & the boredom are real hard work on the mind. Just thought I'd share my experience.

For the record, I'm a 27yr old Male.

Cheers, and good luck to anyone recovering or heading in for surgery!

Advertisement