Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Keane91

This is my first attempt at the FE-1's and I'm wondering how hard are they marked? I understand that they are marked very hard but i'm studying using the GCD sample answers which are supposed to be 80-90% correct, i'm adding references from other materials also. So technically if I could reproduce similar answers relevant to questions on the day is it possible to get 80%+ in questions with answers similar to the GCD answers or any prep course answers during the exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JR Space

Hi all, My grid for EU is missing since last week...could someone please tell me what if anything would be the best to leave out, even one less chapter would be a relief!
    Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JR Space

Hi all, My grid for EU is missing since last week...could someone please tell me what if anything would be the best to leave out, even one less chapter would be a relief!
    Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Lawls

FEfuns wrote: »
    My undergrad was law, yeah. I'm too late to sign-up for this October's sittings (already called the Law Society about it). I guess I'll just see how I'm set by New Year's and decide on how many to sit in March at that point.

My crude time requirement for reading and making my own notes would be 27x six-hour days total for the first four and 32x six-hour days total for the second four - not including time for prepping answers and last-week cramming.

Cheers for the advice. (It did seem to me like the FE1s were blown a bit out of proportion alright! My flatmate did them last year, over 12 months, and they never really impacted on him in the awful, time-consuming, soul-draining ways you'd hear from people!).

Yeah I was terrified starting them, as I had heard such horror stories, but they are definitely not that bad. I guess it's the idea that you're not aiming for a 1.1 or 2.1 anymore, just for a pass, so it's something you have to get used to. If I was in your position and you have time now, I would focus on applications for training contracts with the firms that open up from around now and hold interviews in November/December and concentrate on that (assuming you don't have a tc yet). If you already have one, I would definitely start out aiming to do all 8 and then, as you said, if you don't feel confident closer to the time, just go for maybe 6. March is a long way off yet though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GildedCage

Hi anyone have tips on what is due to come up in EU in october? Finding it the hardest one to study for :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 lbcoconut

Has anyone received any info from the Law Society yet for the October sittings?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

lbcoconut wrote: »

Nope, I got nothing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sorchauna

Well I only get the letter from them after I paid saying here's your reference number and you'll get stuff closer the exam. Thats all I've gotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Fe1exams

(1) A receipt and confirmation letter
    - Letter states that we will receive exam numbers 2 weeks b4 exam
    Did u not get a receipt?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lbcoconut

Fe1exams wrote: »
    (1) A receipt and confirmation letter
    - Letter states that we will receive exam numbers 2 weeks b4 exam
    Did u not get a receipt?

Yeah got the receipt, just thought the letter with exam number and info might have been out this week but it will probably be next week :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 KellyK15

Hi all, hope study is going well for all those stuck in this wknd.....quick question, is anyone actually learning the Acts word for word for which they are studying, or do you just need to know the relevant section names?? i.e. for assault the Non Fatal Offences against the Person Act 97, Section 2, 3 and 4.....I presume you dont need to go into anymore detail word for word?? If anyone could clarify, thanks a mil

KellyK15 wrote: »
    Hi all, hope study is going well for all those stuck in this wknd.....quick question, is anyone actually learning the Acts word for word for which they are studying, or do you just need to know the relevant section names?? i.e. for assault the Non Fatal Offences against the Person Act 97, Section 2, 3 and 4.....I presume you dont need to go into anymore detail word for word?? If anyone could clarify, thanks a mil

To be honest I don't think you need to know it word for word, once you know the relevant sections and can give an accurate description of the actus reus, mens rea, penalty and possible defence - case law where possible, you should be more than fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Loulu

Hi, just going over easements at the moment and wondered if anyone could clarify something for me since the manuals don't make it very clear.

My understanding of the effect of the LCLRA 2009 is that any easements claimed after Dec 2009 will have to comply with the revised rules in the Act even though the requisite user period occurred prior to this that is unless an action is brought within 3 years of the Act in which case the old rules still apply. (The manual was no help just stating that the 2009 rules don't have retrospective effect and that you still need to know the old rules but very helpfully without stating when the old rules continued to apply). So does this mean that if your claim to an easement relies on a user period pre Dec 2009 based on the old rules and you fail to take a case within the 3 years that you lose your entitlement to the easement and have to start the user period again from scratch??
    Having to check the effect of the 2009 Act against the supposedly (but not very well revised) "up to date" property manuals is making me really confused especially about easements! I'm sure it's a lot less complicated than I'm making it but I'm just confused as to exactly when to apply the old rules and afraid that I'll mess it up in the exam. If anyone could help sort this out I would really appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 KellyK15

chops018 wrote: »
    To be honest I don't think you need to know it word for word, once you know the relevant sections and can give an accurate description of the actus reus, mens rea, penalty and possible defence - case law where possible, you should be more than fine.

Ok great thanks:)

"So does this mean that if your claim to an easement relies on a user period pre Dec 2009 based on the old rules and you fail to take a case within the 3 years that you lose your entitlement to the easement and have to start the user period again from scratch??"

I think you are referring to the definition of “interruption”:>> means interference with, or cessation of, the use or enjoyment of an easement or profit à prendre for a continuous period of at least one year, but does not include an interruption under section 37... see s33 of the lclra 2009
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0027/print.html#sec33

Draw a timeline - old rules 20yrs - new rules 12/30/60....

Where did u get the three yrs from?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 filosoraptor

Hey, To anyone doing property out there just wondering what topics you are doing / what you consider the bankers to be this time round?
    Any help appreciated!

Info pack arrived today.....Getting close now.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 itsonlybla

CClaw wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just finished my undergrad, was going to study for the WHOLE summer, but plan didn't really work out.. i only really have time to do 3 subjects..

I know you have to sit at least four,and I heard contract is suppose to be hard to pass, so i a, thinking of leaving it out..

but I was wondering what if I don't sit one of the exam..:/ would it look really bad for future employers that i got 0... :( or is it worse that i attempt the exam and failed it

please help thank you !

it sounds like you're worrying too much. many people do a ghost fourth and get zero, its not a problem.

just concentrate on passing the exams whichever way suits you best.

Ned_led16 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the difference is between these two offences: thanks

Assault causing harm.
    3.—(1) A person who assaults another causing him or her harm shall be guilty of an offence.

18.—(1) Any person who assaults any person with intent to cause bodily harm or to commit an indictable offence shall be guilty of an offence.

Is the difference the requirement in s18(1) of 'intent to cause bodily harm or commit an indictable offence'?

itsonlybla wrote: »
    Is the difference the requirement in s18(1) of 'intent to cause bodily harm or commit an indictable offence'?

I thought so until i read evercloserunions post. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055443926&referrerid=59211

But then the griffith manual states there are factors for a court to consider if the presumption of the mens rea has been rebutted or not. So i would take the griffith manual view, in that it depends on a court to consider the facts.

Therefore it is possible for them to have the same mens rea if a court says its not considered to be a strict liability offence; and different if the court states otherwise.

Dpp v Dolny - no requirement for mens rea.

Intention can be the only difference sometimes, depending on the facts and circumstances of the case. Not black or white

• Advertisement

Hey, To anyone doing property out there just wondering what topics you are doing / what you consider the bankers to be this time round?
    Any help appreciated!

Im doing finding, succession, adverse possession, co-ownership, family property, mortgages, easments and profit de prende, licences and landlord and tenant law! The examiner has done the last two years and seems to focus on more recent topics rather than the fist hand of the course. I wished I could have covered more but didnt have the time! Sucession should give you two, adverse possession has come up in her 4 papers , co-ownership is popular with the 2010 Act.

Fe1exams wrote: »
    I thought so until i read evercloserunions post. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055443926&referrerid=59211

But then the griffith manual states there are factors for a court to consider if the presumption of the mens rea has been rebutted or not. So i would take the griffith manual view, in that it depends on a court to consider the facts.

Therefore it is possible for them to have the same mens rea if a court says its not considered to be a strict liability offence; and different if the court states otherwise.

Dpp v Dolny - no requirement for mens rea.

Intention can be the only difference sometimes, depending on the facts and circumstances of the case. Not black or white

You seem fairly well equipped to consider it if it comes up. I did alright in criminal and never had to cover s. 18(1).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 trypod13

hi there,
    I know I have left it a bit late but where can I get a copy of the necessary legislative sources for EU, Company and Constitutional ie Blackstones, companies acts and the constitution in time for the exams. I think I can get the constitution in molesworth street but not sure about the others and running out of time. Also how much will they cost?

trypod13 wrote: »
    hi there,
    I know I have left it a bit late but where can I get a copy of the necessary legislative sources for EU, Company and Constitutional ie Blackstones, companies acts and the constitution in time for the exams. I think I can get the constitution in molesworth street but not sure about the others and running out of time. Also how much will they cost?

You can get them all from any of the bookshops in town. Hodges & Figgis near Molesworth street sell Blackstones, the student edition of the Companies Acts and the Constitution. On the top floor. To the best of my recollection only the Companies Acts are pricey.

trypod13 wrote: »
    hi there,

http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/a-misc/publications.htm

Ring them up, have a credit card or laser card ready and a list of what you need. They send it out fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I picked up the EU and Company legislation only last week. EU (Blackstone) was in and around €20 for the 2012-2013 edition, company (McCann and Courtney) was around €90-€100. Hodges Figgis.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Lawls

For anybody doing property, the HC decision mentioned on page 2 of the times today might be of interest!

Lawls wrote: »
    For anybody doing property, the HC decision mentioned on page 2 of the times today might be of interest!

Thanks for that! Geez a few weeks in the High Court for that case...I'd hate have the costs awarded against me for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 filosoraptor

sorchauna wrote: »
    Im doing finding, succession, adverse possession, co-ownership, family property, mortgages, easments and profit de prende, licences and landlord and tenant law! The examiner has done the last two years and seems to focus on more recent topics rather than the fist hand of the course. I wished I could have covered more but didnt have the time! Sucession should give you two, adverse possession has come up in her 4 papers , co-ownership is popular with the 2010 Act.

Always good to hear people going for the same topics as you! Fair play though, you're covering quite a bit in that list. Simply won't have time to get all that done at this stage. Never had any intention of trawling through landlord & tenant law tbh though!

• Advertisement

Lawls wrote: »

What was it about?

Edit: Found it: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0918/1224324122471.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement