Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Lawls

I know! Well worth it for him though! This is actually probably relevant for equity as well if my memory serves me correctly!
    sorchauna wrote: »
    Thanks for that! Geez a few weeks in the High Court for that case...I'd hate have the costs awarded against me for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Lawls wrote: »
    I know! Well worth it for him though! This is actually probably relevant for equity as well if my memory serves me correctly!

Probably more so for equity.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sorchauna

Always good to hear people going for the same topics as you! Fair play though, you're covering quite a bit in that list. Simply won't have time to get all that done at this stage. Never had any intention of trawling through landlord & tenant law tbh though!

Im glad we're covering the same then! I have notice that since the examiner took over its alot more bankable of what will come up..But did hear last paper was abit more diffcult than what they were expecting. Maybe she'll start throwing in the first half of the course to mix it up.

Im using the IC manuals, and tbh the chapter of L&T was dire in it. She tends to ask either both on the Deasy Act and the 2004 Act or very recently just the 200 Act. I ignored the manual, learnt a sample answer on it. My knowledge after the two acts is very limited! It was left out in both papers in 2010, came up in both papers in 2011. No idea if it came up in 2012. I wouldnt worry about covering it. Im my opinion as long as co-owernship, succession, about property, adverse possession and family property is covered we'll be fine. Any other topics are whether you have time or not.

Or else I'll be proven wrong in two weeks and fail!

The last few papers seemed manageable enough and had mostly new areas rather than things such as the settled land acts and systems of land registration. There seemed to be a lot of bankers for the paper (well succession probably still is), so be wary that a change up could be due. The last paper was a bit tougher than the ones before in that some abstract areas came up: licences/proprietary estoppel and systems of land registration, and then the other questions weren't as straightforward as other sittings. In saying that I'm doing the same topics for it as yourselves, due to time constraints. Let's hope succession covers two questions for us and that we can nab 3 other decent questions from the other topics we've covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doing

chops018 wrote: »
    The last few papers seemed manageable enough and had mostly new areas rather than things such as the settled land acts and systems of land registration. There seemed to be a lot of bankers for the paper (well succession probably still is), so be wary that a change up could be due. The last paper was a bit tougher than the ones before in that some abstract areas came up: licences/proprietary estoppel and systems of land registration, and then the other questions weren't as straightforward as other sittings. In saying that I'm doing the same topics for it as yourselves, due to time constraints. Let's hope succession covers two questions for us and that we can nab 3 other decent questions from the other topics we've covered.

There are 5-6 predictable questions that come up virtually every year, do them and an extra 2-3 just in case and you'll be grand.

• Advertisement

doing wrote: »
    There are 5-6 predictable questions that come up virtually every year, do them and an extra 2-3 just in case and you'll be grand.

I passed the feckin thing last time! Didn't get 3 out of 4 so I've to do it again!

I passed the feckin thing last time! Didn't get 3 out of 4 so I've to do it again!

Ah commiserations, same thing happened to me before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Anybody feel the upcoming referendum on childers will feature in constitutional? If so, does anyone know what is actually happening? I'd appreciate being pointed in the direction of a journal article or even a newspaper article!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭banterful

Hi all, finding tort and EU really tough going at this stage. Have finished notes etc but just finding it so hard to retain the sheer amount of material! Any one else having issues with these subjects? If so what are they leaving out, or does anyone who's passed these ones have any advice for how best to approach them?

Though the others were tough too I really feel Tort & EU have the widest breadth of material to cover - well maybe except constitutional!

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated & might stop me throwing all my notes out the window tomorrow - fe1s sure are a grrrrind!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

banterful wrote: »
    Hi all, finding tort and EU really tough going at this stage. Have finished notes etc but just finding it so hard to retain the sheer amount of material! Any one else having issues with these subjects? If so what are they leaving out, or does anyone who's passed these ones have any advice for how best to approach them?

Though the others were tough too I really feel Tort & EU have the widest breadth of material to cover - well maybe except constitutional!

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated & might stop me throwing all my notes out the window tomorrow - fe1s sure are a grrrrind!

EU is a nightmare IMO. I am leaving out equality and the case note question and just glancing briefly at free movement of capital. What are you leaving out?

I did tort last March and I left out defamation. A lot in tort but not too bad once you spot the issues in the question. Val Corbett in Independent College gave very good tips.

• Advertisement

Fe1exams wrote: »
    Has anyone gota link to a clear concise website detailing the topic. im not to into the manual and model answers on this topic... even wikidpedia is crap on the topic
    confused as to severance - is tenancy in common and joint tenancy the same for severance

For co-ownership you usually just have to explain what a joint tenancy and tenancy in common is, then outline how a joint tenancy may be severed - by law and equity, and how co-ownership can be brought to an end. If you know all of that then you should be fine for nearly any question on co-ownership. Question 8 of March 2010 was a good, straightforward, full question on the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Fe1exams

thanks chops.
    i edited my post twice to change the question and then deleted it to make sure the response wasnt to the unedited version...
    Just checking that answer now Chief

Fe1exams wrote: »
    thanks chops.
    i edited my post twice to change the question and then deleted it to make sure the response wasnt to the unedited version...
    Just checking that answer now Chief

Yeah I saw the edit. Don't worry, I have only seen questions being asked on how a joint tenancy is severed, when that happens it usually results in a Tenancy in Common. Be wary though as if a person gets consent from the other JT's to sell part of their joint tenancy to a third party then only the third party will be a tenant in common with the others. The rest of them will remain JT as none of the 4 unities have been broken between them, only the new party has broken the 4 unities so only he becomes a tenant in common.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 legallaine

Hey All,

Studying for my final 2 exams, working full time too - so its hard to keep up with the study. Just wondering what people are focusing on for EU and Company? I up to date grids for Tort and Contract if anyone will swap for those two?

The thoughts of the red cow :/

• Registered Users Posts: 24 filosoraptor

Yeah, I hope all this talk of banker topics comes through, I'm gonna be heavily reliant on 7 of those "ever-present" topics, call I can do at this stage though.

Would anyone out there be able to list what topics came up in each Q on the last sitting? Or better yet, be able to send me a copy of lasts years paper? I have pretty much anything else I can send on.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Amre17

Would anyone like to share their tips for tort??

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sorchauna

Anybody's head starting to hurt with information overload? Everything is just merging into a big ball of confusion!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Maurice Levy

Hi, Hope everyone's studying is going well.
    I wanted to ask a question on charitable trusts and equity.Now that the 2009 Act is in place do we have to know the cases on the public benefit requirement, or does the sections 3(2) to 3(8) cover the public benefit requirement fully?

I wanted to ask a question on charitable trusts and equity.Now that the 2009 Act is in place do we have to know the cases on the public benefit requirement, or does the sections 3(2) to 3(8) cover the public benefit requirement fully?

I would say it would be good to know both and explain that the law has now changed to have a statutory footing. Doubt as much detail would be needed for the old cases though, but it is always good to explain how the law got to where it is (if there is time that is).

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Maurice Levy

I would say it would be good to know both and explain that the law has now changed to have a statutory footing. Doubt as much detail would be needed for the old cases though, but it is always good to explain how the law got to where it is (if there is time that is).

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Amre17

Tort law -

Right, this is what I'm HOPING to have done for the 2nd of October:

Negligence
    Economic loss
    Employers liability
    Vicarious liability
    Occupiers liability
    Defective products
    Defamation
    Trespass
    Defences
    Damages

Is there anything I should be adding to this list and equally, anything that people think mightn't be so important??

Feedback greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭banterful

Yeah it's hard to know what to leave out but I'm thinking of leaving out roughly the same as yourself. Are you covering mergers or private international law? The course is so huge - definitely the broadest range of material of all the fe1s IMO
    colonel1 wrote: »
    banterful wrote: »

EU is a nightmare IMO. I am leaving out equality and the case note question and just glancing briefly at free movement of capital. What are you leaving out?

I did tort last March and I left out defamation. A lot in tort but not too bad once you spot the issues in the question. Val Corbett in Independent College gave very good tips.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

If you're serious about being a lawyer, you'll leave nothing out!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Tom Young wrote: »

dr-phil.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭DeSourire

I may be missing something but, if I'm not mistaken, the Charities Act 2009 has been enacted but has not actually come into effect. Is this right or wrong??

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Fe1exams

Amre17 wrote: »
    Tort law -

Right, this is what I'm HOPING to have done for the 2nd of October:

Negligence
    Economic loss
    Employers liability
    Vicarious liability
    Occupiers liability
    Defective products
    Defamation
    Trespass
    Defences
    Damages

Is there anything I should be adding to this list and equally, anything that people think mightn't be so important??

Feedback greatly appreciated!

There are 20 topics listed on the griffith exam grid. You listed 10 - personally i think that list looks reasonable, with the exception of a couple more highly examinable additions. However, why not spend 30 mins on all the other topics with bullet points if you have another 5 hrs over the weekend.... depends on whether you have enough time; i am aware the clocks ticking... but its a game now of courage, and focus! (meaning courage to cover it all or focus on what you know) the CEO from twitter, is in the same predicament with his company re: (1) Expanding or (2) Staying with what he knows - but he has the comfort of loads of cash in the bank - best of luck.
    If only 4.5 qs come up from your list, and u can answer 3.5 with a messy 1/2 question, its near impossible to pass... cover as much ground as you can to increase your chances...

So it's just under two weeks away. I'm repeating the first 4 and hoping I can get that magic three, really don't want to be doing the same four again next March.

How is everyone feeling? Is everyone on the revision side of things or are they still covering topics?

For my four subjects I have most of the topics covered for each (only leaving out literally two or three for each subject), a lot more than last time which I think was my downfall, but I started my revision of it all a week or so ago and it doesn't seem to be sticking. I read up on my notes, a bit of the manual and the book and a sample answer and try to make a quick summary. Some of the topics I remember loads, then others I can remember barely anything.

Is anyone else having the same problem? Is it just so much info to retain?

Anyway, back to it now and just try to keep reading and learn as much as possible and hope it comes the day of the exam. Still nearly 2 weeks of revision left so that's a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 je77rey

Anyone have an exam grid for EU? Have grids, sample answers for pretty much everything if anyone is looking to swap? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

je77rey wrote: »
    Anyone have an exam grid for EU? Have grids, sample answers for pretty much everything if anyone is looking to swap? Thanks!

Hi if you have sample answers to the last EU sitting (march '12) i'll do a swap with ya?

• Advertisement

Tom Young wrote: »

If you're serious about passing these exams you'll leave plenty out. Half the book with some subjects.

They're hard enough without learning hundreds of case names that haven't been examined since 1987.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement