Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GildedCage

DeSourire wrote: »
    I may be missing something but, if I'm not mistaken, the Charities Act 2009 has been enacted but has not actually come into effect. Is this right or wrong??

As far as I know it has been enacted but requires further commencement orders to come into effect. I think a few sections are in force but very little of it. I'm definitely skipping that question

doing wrote: »
    If you're serious about passing these exams you'll leave plenty out. Half the book with some subjects.

They're hard enough without learning hundreds of case names that haven't been examined since 1987.

I sort of agree with both posts in that you can't leave any topic out (well maybe one or two) but there are far too many cases to cover every eventuality. So it seems to be a case of cover a little of a lot basically take a superficial approach to topics rather than an in-depth one (easier said than done of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

DeSourire wrote: »
    I may be missing something but, if I'm not mistaken, the Charities Act 2009 has been enacted but has not actually come into effect. Is this right or wrong??

Yeah I think only some sections are enacted. In any event the sections aren't too long, you can mention the old position via the cases and what the situation will or would be under the act, from offhand I remember that one of the sections basically puts a statutory footing on the Pemsel categories, then sub sections of section 3 are relevant in that they get rid of the poor relations and employees cases and a part on discussing the public benefit requirement is in section 3 aswell I think.

chops018 wrote: »
    Yeah I think only some sections are enacted. In any event the sections aren't too long, you can mention the old position via the cases and what the situation will or would be under the act, from offhand I remember that one of the sections basically puts a statutory footing on the Pemsel categories, then sub sections of section 3 are relevant in that they get rid of the poor relations and employees cases and a part on discussing the public benefit requirement is in section 3 aswell I think.[/QU

By the way what topics are you covering/leaving out for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tm48

Hi guys, hope study is going well, just wondering if anyone would have the most recent company exam paper, I have material for most other subjects if anyone wants to do a swap?

• Advertisement

GildedCage wrote: »
    By the way what topics are you covering/leaving out for it?

For Equity I'm covering:

1. Injunctions:
    - Interlocutory.
    - Anton Piller.
    - Quia Timet.
    - Mareva (O'Mahony Requirements and World Wide Mareva's only).

2. Specific Performance:
    - Contracts for Sale of Land.
    - Contracts that Require Supervision.
    - Defences to a SP action.

3. Rectification:
    - Grounds.

4. Proprietary and Promissory Estoppel:
    - All.

5. Undue Influence:
    - Presumed UI.
    - UI to Third Parties i.e. The Husband/Wife/Bank cases.

6. Formalities:
    - Three Certainties.
    - Rule in Strong .v. Bird.
    - Constitution of Express Trusts.

7. Secret Trusts:
    - All.

8. Resulting Trusts:
    - Presumed (Joint Accounts).
    - Presumption of Advancement.

9. Purpose Trusts:
    - All.

10. Charitable Trusts:
    - All.

11. Administration of Trusts:
    - Duty to Invest.

Hopefully that will cover me for 5 questions, I'm covering a lot more than I did the last time, I have the above topics covered already, just trying to learn it all off now. It's harder than it seems to learn the stuff off, nothing seems to be sticking. What are you covering?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 je77rey

boomtown84 wrote: »
    Hi if you have sample answers to the last EU sitting (march '12) i'll do a swap with ya?

Don't have that one, I have the Examiner's Report if thats of any use to you?

For Equity I'm covering:

1. Injunctions:
    - Interlocutory.
    - Anton Piller.
    - Quia Timet.
    - Mareva (O'Mahony Requirements and World Wide Mareva's only).

2. Specific Performance:
    - Contracts for Sale of Land.
    - Contracts that Require Supervision.
    - Defences to a SP action.

3. Rectification:
    - Grounds.

4. Proprietary and Promissory Estoppel:
    - All.

5. Undue Influence:
    - Presumed UI.
    - UI to Third Parties i.e. The Husband/Wife/Bank cases.

6. Formalities:
    - Three Certainties.
    - Rule in Strong .v. Bird.
    - Constitution of Express Trusts.

7. Secret Trusts:
    - All.

8. Resulting Trusts:
    - Presumed (Joint Accounts).
    - Presumption of Advancement.

9. Purpose Trusts:
    - All.

10. Charitable Trusts:
    - All.

11. Administration of Trusts:
    - Duty to Invest.

Hopefully that will cover me for 5 questions, I'm covering a lot more than I did the last time, I have the above topics covered already, just trying to learn it all off now. It's harder than it seems to learn the stuff off, nothing seems to be sticking. What are you covering?

Much the same as yourself but leaving out charitable trusts and Mareva injunctions. Would love estoppel, duty to invest, secret trusts, undue influence and strong v bird/three certainties to come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sorchauna

je77rey wrote: »
    Don't have that one, I have the Examiner's Report if thats of any use to you?

Any chance I could jump in and request the examiners report? I can swap for pretty much anything else up to Oct 2011 for all subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Fe1exams

doing wrote: »
    If you're serious about passing these exams you'll leave plenty out. Half the book with some subjects.

They're hard enough without learning hundreds of case names that haven't been examined since 1987.

The property law manual is a prime example from Griffith. Its chapter on easements is 2/3rds waffle... really could have done with some proper editing! Leaving cases and half the manual is one thing, but leaving out topics is another... some websites online explain some of the principles on the topics in a much simpler way! Re: Property law! its as if the author has tried to overcomplicate it on purpose for some kind of perverse reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

Gotta love studying on a Sat night! are many people sitting all 8 exams back to back?

Ned_led16 wrote: »
    Gotta love studying on a Sat night! are many people sitting all 8 exams back to back?

I did a couple of hours earlier, I can never concentrate on a weekend - too much sport and drinking (I'll probably have a few beers tonight too even though I shouldn't).

Are you doing all 8? I'm repeating 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Eh Nope. Are you? :eek:

Do you lose your job or something if ya don't get them?

godeas16 wrote: »
    Eh Nope. Are you? :eek:

Do you lose your job or something if ya don't get them?

No way not me!

No way not me!

What subjects are you doing?

What subjects are you doing?

dont ask! still not 100% sure ...lol ...depends on a few things!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭brannid3

tm48 wrote: »
    Hi guys, hope study is going well, just wondering if anyone would have the most recent company exam paper, I have material for most other subjects if anyone wants to do a swap?

Hey for March 2012, the following came up.

Corporate Personality
    Authority
    Director's Duties
    Restriction Directors
    Share Transfer
    Shareholder Protection/ Remedies
    Corporate Borrowings
    Disposition Of Companies assets

Doing it (again) myself. Finding it a but rough!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 filosoraptor

Fe1exams wrote: »
    The property law manual is a prime example from Griffith. Its chapter on easements is 2/3rds waffle... really could have done with some proper editing! Leaving cases and half the manual is one thing, but leaving out topics is another... some websites online explain some of the principles on the topics in a much simpler way! Re: Property law! its as if the author has tried to overcomplicate it on purpose for some kind of perverse reason.

I'm glad to see someone else having a rant about this, the editing is all over the place and many sections simply don't make sense. The stuff is hard enough to get through without having to decipher the author's unique form of English!

Anyone have the topics that appeared on the last paper?

brannid3 wrote: »
    Hey for March 2012, the following came up.

Corporate Personality
    Authority
    Director's Duties
    Restriction Directors
    Share Transfer
    Shareholder Protection/ Remedies
    Corporate Borrowings
    Disposition Of Companies assets

Doing it (again) myself. Finding it a but rough!

I agree, Im nervous about company myself! What are you covering?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 itsonlybla

Fe1exams wrote: »
    have to agree with you on the griffith property manual, needs a serious edit throughout.

• Advertisement

itsonlybla wrote: »
    have to agree with you on the griffith property manual, needs a serious edit throughout.

The IC is just as bad, I suppose they know with the down turn people sell the manuals so don't make the money as they used to and things explained in the class so thats the incentive to pay for the course!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Fe1exams

how does a garda make an arrest for a minor offence without warrant?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭DeSourire

Hi does anyone have a copy of the most up to date Equity papers that they would pass on? I have constitutional, contract from this session and eu from the last session.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 hopefullegal

I have McCann & Courtney, Companies Acts, 1963-2006. The list the Law Society sent out said that we're allowed bring in "McCann & Courtney, Companies Acts, 1963-2009, Student Edition, Bloomsbury Publishing". Does anyone know if I'm allowed bring in the older edition? Also mine doesn't say Student Edition anywhere on it?

Btw how do you have to hand in the permitted legislation to be checked and when do you need to do it?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 FOOKED

Hi guys,
    Just wondering g if anyone coul possible send me an up to date tort grid. Starting to panic a bit now so I'd really appreciate it. Also, I can forward you the crim, company o contract grids up to last year if that helps!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭brumbram6

yes its fine, emailed them. i am in the same boat with 2006 edition.although i do have a student edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 hopefullegal

Thanks irkalein. I'm going to e-mail them now re the student edition part. Hope I don't have to shell out €150 for a new one :(

Anyone doing equity leaving out Mareva Injunctions?

Last time around it only focused on intention. Wondering could World Wide Mareva's come up or would it be ok to leave it out and concentrate on the other types of injunctions.

Have it covered from before but wondering whether to bother revising it!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭brannid3

sorchauna wrote: »
    I agree, Im nervous about company myself! What are you covering?

Hey! The tips I received from a prep course were Corporate Personality, Ultra Vires, All of directors , Winding up for inability to pay debts, receivership problem question, way in which company can pass resolutions essay and corporate borrowings.

I might add a bit of shares to that as well. Obviously the tips cannot be relied on but they are giving me a plan on what to cram. Just working off the past papers now, trying not to take anything too new in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 tm48

Hi guys, just getting a bit confused with this part of the question. Does this part relate to freedom to provide services or does is fall under Article 34 being a measure that restricts trade?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement