Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Americans.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

WellyJ wrote:
    Dude, personal insults?

Not really fair to bring the OPs Leaving cert results into this

*shrug* using exam results of something that the rest of the world ignores and the industry does as well after 5 years working. Not to mention that many people in Ireland hold good positions and never sat their LC (Bertie for example).

Seriously get a better insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

Duggy747 wrote:
    Ah yes, Americans. It's been too long since I've had a conversation about the stupidity of some of it's people rather than hearing the usual tripe about "WAR! CAPITALISM! CONFORMISTS! OIL! EVERYONE IS FAT AND STUPID!! I'M A LAZY BASTARD WITH NO JOB LIVING OFF MY PARENTS BUT I'LL STILL INSULT AMERICANS!"

When I was in America I was once asked had I ever heard of the sport, golf.

My friend was once asked just a few years ago did we have elecricity yet :confused:

It's mind-numbing how stupid some people are!!

yes i remember the same thing,i was asked did we have tv in ireland? to which i took the piss sayin nobody can afford tv in ireland ;) yep majority of americans are stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

lol America. The world laughs at you, not with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

pid() wrote:
    lol America. The world laughs at you, not with you.
    Isn't there a lyric to that effect in Linkin Park: Hands Held High?
    asking you to have compassion, and have some respect
    for a leader so nervous, in an obvious way,
    Stuttering and mumbling for nightly news to replay
    and the rest of the world watching at the end of the day
    in the living room laughing like "what did he say?"

Probably intended in reference to that Rumsfeld speech though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

cornbb wrote:
    Yawn. The amount of generalisations in this thread is astounding. I've met far more well-travelled, well-educated and open minded people from America then I have in After Hours.

yes but is this the americans who were abroad so already ahve passports(the minority) or was this americans in america who have no passports and never intend getting one(the majority)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

Rob_l wrote:
    yes but is this the americans who were abroad so already ahve passports(the minority) or was this americans in america who have no passports and never intend getting one(the majority)

Why grant passports to people who believe in leprechauns?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Should someone who got 130 points in the Leaving Cert really be criticising the intelligence of others?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055141858
    Of course so, its apart of being Irish. Americans will always be stupid.
    Amen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

So a ****ing worthless and mundaine exam which relies on pure work load is how we measure someones intelligence? Lol. I got banned from the LC forum for informing a 575 student that her spelling was deplorable, on the point of crap.

Americans hate Europeans....Europeans hate Americans.

They think we are pussys(general statement) we think they are all fat(general statement)

We think they all talk with the same accent(general statement), they think all Europeans smell(general statement)

Please people, go further into the American culture, communicate with the true Americans people rather than the Americans, who are probably from real secluded and comfortable surroundings.

Stay away from the upper-class Americans, and converse with the lower to upper middle classes.

Here is a youtuber called Moral Virus..listen to him, he is a real American. He talks about wrestling, but even if you don't like wrestling, it's still showing that not all Americans are what you think of them to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg-6SdrJXdA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

her spelling was deplorable, boardering on crap.

Hmm.

• Advertisement

Ah no sorry Sofaspud, this girl claimed to get 575 in the Leaving Cert and made no attempt to spell words correctly. When I see slang I cringe.

Please people, go further into the American culture, communicate with the true Americans people rather than the Americans, who are probably from real secluded and comfortable surroundings.

Stay away from the upper-class Americans, and converse with the lower to upper middle classes.

Look at part one, two and then three. Nuff said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

David Letterman summed it up nicely on his tonight show when introducing a segment on a bubble machine which emmitted bacon scented bubbles for dogs.... "Is it any wonder the rest of the world hate us"

Stupid americans. And before anyone starts "not all americans... blah blah blah". I have met many and the majority are knobs.

togster wrote:
    David Letterman summed it up nicely on his tonight show when introducing a segment on a bubble machine which emmitted bacon scented bubbles for dogs.... "Is it any wonder the rest of the world hate us"

Stupid americans. And before anyone starts "not all americans... blah blah blah". I have met many and the majority are knobs.
    He He!
    On this topic me and a fellow worker were stacking shelves when we got talking about stupid americans and low and behold an american came up looking for "tamado juice" it was so funny the way he said it so i just walked away laughing:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

scruff321 wrote:
    yes i remember the same thing,i was asked did we have tv in ireland? to which i took the piss sayin nobody can afford tv in ireland ;) yep majority of americans are stupid
    I too was asked this question while in Boston. I said we didn't have tv, but we had a box with rats in it and we would bet on which rats would run around the box the most. And they actually beleived me :D

On another occasion some girl asked where i was from, i said Ireland and she asked was that in Idaho, i couldn't convince here that it was not.

Having said all that not all Amercians are dumb, but i would guess they have a higher percentage of stupid people than any other first world country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭BrotherTotz

I worked for the last two summers in the tourist office of one of the largest attractions in Ireland (Waterford Crystal) and had to meet/talk to hundreds of Americans every week. Id have to agree with all America bashing so far in this thread when it comes to middle class Americans which are the main group that can afford/want to visit eye-r-laaand and (yes its a sweeping, general statement) honestly they are without doubt the most obnoxious and condescending group of snobs wrapped up in their own little world I’ve ever come across in my life and we had people from all over the world passing through on continuously.

Also did meet a lot of cool younger Americans though!!

themole wrote:
    while in Boston.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Well ! He/she did put them in the public domain so I suppose they're fair game !

Damnit Slow Motion, are you me? I seem to be agreeing with most things you've been saying recently!

Don't forget that there are many Americans who believe what they see in the movies.

Many Hollywood flicks show Europe as being "old fashioned" the Garfield II film being a typical example as well as just about every Disney film set in Europe appears to be based in the 1930's.

Even when the main character lives in modern day USA and travels to "London, England" he goes back 70 years as well!

Rob_l wrote:

This is always a point thrown up when talking about Americans and while it's always good to travel and see the world it was pointed out to me once that they don't need* too. They can ski in Colorado and bask in the sunshine in Florida. America is a diverse country and with so much to see and do it's not so surprising that they get wrapped up in their own world.

* I don't agree with this, it's always good to get outside your boarders

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

eo980 wrote:
    Damnit Slow Motion, are you me? I seem to be agreeing with most things you've been saying recently!

I've used my psychic powers to travel through the interweb and pull the thoughts from your brain ! Better get your foil hat checked out :D And no I'm actually Sparticus :p

I've used my psychic powers to travel through the interweb and pull the thoughts from your brain ! Better get your foil hat checked out :D And no I'm actually Sparticus :p

I see. :eek:

pid() wrote:
    Why grant passports to people who believe in leprechauns?

I believe in leprechauns one used to live down the end of my garden then one night i tried to attack him, haven't seen him since then.

If you see him can you tell him im sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

cornbb wrote:
    Yawn. The amount of generalisations in this thread is astounding. I've met far more well-travelled, well-educated and open minded people from America then I have in After Hours.

I agree, and some of these Americans are the 'no passport' types that were disparaged previously in the thread.

Yes, some Americans are ignorant, have no life goals, don't care about the world around them, vote for incompetent leaders etc etc. but there are others who are not like this. Sweeping generalisations are pointless.

I agree, and some of these Americans are the 'no passport' types that were disparaged previously in the thread.

Yes, some Americans are ignorant, have no life goals, don't care about the world around them, vote for incompetent leaders etc etc. but there are others who are not like this. Sweeping generalisations are pointless.

isn't this a sweeping generalisation about sweeping generalisations

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Yes. And I find it amusing that most of the bashing here is coming from users who permanently lounge around After Hours, not renowned as a ray of enlightening sunshine by any means, what with all the poo/**** threads we've had recently.

America and Americans certainly have major problems but ridiculing them as stupid based on their pronunciation of the word "tomato" is frankly pathetic, cringeworthy as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Let's move onto Hollywood views on us. If you people want have your blood to boil then I propose you see Irish Jam! Possibly the most insulting movie I have ever seen!

PLOT
    Upon discovering that their town is up for sale, crafty Irish villagers scheme to raise the money to prevent the buy-out from an evil posh English tyrant. They hold a poetry contest with a tempting grand prize -- the deed to their local pub. But what could happen when a duplicitous American rapper (Eddie Griffin, yes that unfunny twat!) emerges as the best poet around?

Cue much "Oh bless-ed Virgin Mary!" and many, many "Irish" last names. Plus everyone dresses like it's the 30's AND the local vehicles are a 1940's pickup truck and a crummy motorbike that would've been made too early to be plausible in Heartbeat. An absolute teeth-gnasher of a movie though at least none of the Irish people are Irish actors but English instead like Anna Friel and that dodgy antique-selling guy from Lovejoy.

Rob_l wrote:

Is that a paradox/contradiction/oximoran? Which is it and why?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Rob_l wrote:

Touché

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Duggy747 wrote:
    Let's move onto Hollywood views on us. If you people want have your blood to boil then I propose you see Irish Jam! Possibly the most insulting movie I have ever seen!

PLOT
    Upon discovering that their town is up for sale, crafty Irish villagers scheme to raise the money to prevent the buy-out from an evil posh English tyrant. They hold a poetry contest with a tempting grand prize -- the deed to their local pub. But what could happen when a duplicitous American rapper (Eddie Griffin, yes that unfunny twat!) emerges as the best poet around?

Cue much "Oh bless-ed Virgin Mary!" and many, many "Irish" last names. Plus everyone dresses like it's the 30's AND the local vehicles are a 1940's pickup truck and a crummy motorbike that would've been made too early to be plausible in Heartbeat. An absolute teeth-gnasher of a movie though at least none of the Irish people are Irish actors but English instead like Anna Friel and that dodgy antique-selling guy from Lovejoy.

You're joking right ! Please say your joking !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement