Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CV question?

Options
  • 28-08-2007 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭

Ok im working in communist dunnes stores, its a load of bollox and I want out.
    Im just after getting my leaving cert results back with yeah you heard it first at boards.ie, 130 points:cool:
    :rolleyes:
    Anyway I want to get an apprentiship in machanics and havent a clue how to write out a CV, OK I know to put down phone numbers, address's and pps numbers etc but in which order and what else will i put down?
    Please people help me out here i don't want to work in the capital of poland anymore.
    Cheers;)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Go to a agency and get them to do it for you, then leave it.

Congrats on the 130 points btw...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Cvs have a format that you need to follow, so it's very easy. I work in recruitemnt and see a lot every day. There's fundamental errors some people make when creating CVs that make it very difficult for people reviewing them.

1) make sure everything is spelled correctly, use your spell checker
    2) put a layout that is easy to read
    3) do not include to much unecessary information i.e. pages and pages. A good Cv should be max 3 pages long (if you have enough experience for that)

You should start with your personal details, don't include your age, religion or marital status as some people do. It is illegal to hire or not hire someone on this basis so the information is not necessary. Put your name and address and make sure you have a telephone number and an email addres. Some people forget these and it's not a good idea!

Then put your education, for you your leaving cert subjects and grades.

Then include your past jobs, with the most recent one first. First write the company and work dates. e.g.

Dunnes May 2005 - present

Then include all your main duties. Especially include anything customer facing and as you are applying for a mechanics apprenticeship anything you got to do with machinery (if any) Put down all the jobs you did (e.g cash management for operating a till or merchandising/stock management for stocking shelves)

At the end include your hobbies, my advice is to make them as interesting as possible, but the important thing is that you are able to discuss them if asked.

As you have just left school it might be a good idea to include any achievements or special events you were part of (maybe you fix friends cars or race at weekends).

The best thing to do, in my experience is to tailor the CV for the job you are going for.

Good Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Don't go to an agency. Waste of money.

OP, this is roughly the right lay-out:

CURRICULUM VITAE

Name:
    Address:
    Telephone Number:
    E-mail:

WORK EXPERIENCE

Dates: Name and address of employer
    Position:

This involves...

Repeat as appropriate

EDUCATION

Leaving Certificate (2007)

Completed at name of school.

OTHER SKILLS

E.g. First Aid, Microsoft Office, whatever.

HOBBIES AND INTERESTS

Put in any achievements too.

REFERENCES

Name
    Address

Telephone number

Make sure it's laid out evenly and consistently with no spelling/grammatical errors. Yeah, as watna says, keep it to-the-point. Don't waffle. Would the OP really need to give his leaving cert grades? I would have thought, once he has his leaving cert that's enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Dudess wrote:
    Don't go to an agency. Waste of money.

OP, this is roughly the right lay-out:

CURRICULUM VITAE

Name:
    Address:
    Telephone Number:
    E-mail:

WORK EXPERIENCE

Dates: Name and address of employer
    Position:

This involves...

Repeat as appropriate

EDUCATION

Completed at name of school.

OTHER SKILLS

E.g. First Aid, Microsoft Office, whatever.

HOBBIES AND INTERESTS

Put in any achievements too.

REFERENCES

Name
    Address

Telephone number

Make sure it's laid out evenly and consistently with no spelling/grammatical errors. Yeah, as watna says, keep it to-the-point. Don't waffle. Would the OP really need to give his leaving cert grades? I would have thought, once he has his leaving cert that's enough.
    Nice one man thats exactly what I needed! Cheers;)
    And thanks do the rest of replies.

Another question, when i put it in an emvlope do i write like "CV for appretiship machanic" or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Plug wrote:
    Nice one man thats exactly what I needed! Cheers;)
    And thanks do the rest of replies.

Another question, when i put it in an emvlope do i write like "CV for appretiship machanic" or something?
    I would write up a short cover letter (mentioning you want an apprenticeship) and put it in the envelope with your CV. On the envelope just put "Your Name Curriculum Vitae".

That's just me though!

Good luck

ps. don't put your PPS on the CV

DaveMcG wrote:
    I would write up a short cover letter (mentioning you want an apprenticeship) and put it in the envelope with your CV. On the envelope just put "Your Name Curriculum Vitae".

That's just me though!

Good luck

ps. don't put your PPS on the CV
    What will I write I'd probly make a balls of things, "here Mr. any chance of an apprentiship?".
    someone want to write a letter for me explaining why i want an apprentiship?
    :D
    plessems.

Plug wrote:
    Nice one man
    But I'm a LAY-dee!! :)

No probs. After trying to forge a career in journalism (and failing) I've decided to embark on a new path, one that all my friends advise, and that is: recruitment/HR (makes sense following years of typing up people's CVs)!

Oh, and don't forget the all-important covering letter. A bit about your current situation ("I've just completed the Leaving Certificate") and why you're interested in the apprenticeship, what skills/experience you have that might be relevant.

Putting what it is on the envelope is optional.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

No agency has ever charged me when they looked at my CV.

Also, is 130 points enough for a apprenticeship ?

Sorry Dudess, i thought everyone on boards except Exanti and pissed had a penis:o yeah i'll do that, im going to start now in ten minutes as soon as i finish something.

@Anti afaik you don't need points but they might be looking for a pass in maths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Plug - you spelled mechanic wrong twice, that's why I bring it up.
    Use spell check when you write the CV and have someone proofread it, preferably someone you know who has a business. If they like it, so should whoever might hire you.

biko wrote:
    Plug - you spelled mechanic wrong twice, that's why I bring it up.
    Use spell check when you write the CV and have someone proofread it, preferably someone you know who has a business. If they like it, so should whoever might hire you.
    ahh yeah I'll have the spelling checked by the computer!

Is this alright so far?
    Employment History.
    Dunnes stores,
    Kieran street,
    Kilkenny
    2006 - present.

Duties include:
    Moving and taking stock to shop floor.
    Stacking of goods and pallets.
    Informing and helping customers.
    Cleaning and maintaining the store during hours.

EDUCATION:
    Junior cert (2004)
    Completed at St. Kieran’s college, College Rd. Kilkenny.

OTHER SKILLS:
    European computer drivers licence.
    Food safety training.

HOBBIES AND INTERESTS:
    Main hobbies would have to be racing model cars, fishing, swimming and some golf.
    I’m also interested in PC’s as well as consoles.

Comments:
    A hard working member of a team, interested in learning new skills and using my past skills to perform and get tasks done. Am not afraid to ask for help or about any enquiries. Friendly mannered and easy to get on with.
    I love cars and have always been interested in how they work.

anything else to add, I have my address, email, name, number at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Moved -_-

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Am not afraid to ask for help or about any enquiries.

Im not sure what you are trying to say here. Definatly needs to be rephrased

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

i would leave out the hobbies, i never look at hobbies, or i might raise an eyebrow if i see it mentioned on a CV.

the job experience section, sucks :)
    i would explain it much more in details what it is your doing even when its working for fricking dunnes stores, sell yourself thats the idea of a CV.
    List your qualities, proof that you want the job etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Wook wrote:
    i would explain it much more in details what it is your doing even when its working for fricking dunnes stores, sell yourself thats the idea of a CV.
    List your qualities, proof that you want the job etc etc

Yeah OP you have to put down what skills you have, and how you used them/learned them in Dunnes. Eg communication, teamwork, time management etc
    Plug wrote:
    I’m also interested in PC’s as well as consoles.

Also change the word 'consoles' on that line to video game consoles. Unless you actually are interested in computer consoles/virtual consoles/you get my drift

I think the OP is right to include hobbies and interests, but OP, list them. Leave out the personal comments like "main hobbies would have to be". Just list them out and leave it at that. Do go into slightly more detail about a hobby that's related to the apprenticeship. You say you love cars and how they work - why not mention this in hobbies and interests?

It's early days for you now so you really should include EVERYTHING - have you done any other work besides at Dunnes? E.g. glass-collecting or whatever. Put it all down. If you were ten years older, I'd be advising you to leave out stuff when it's no longer relevant, but you're only starting out now so you need to make the CV as detailed as possible.
    Don't bother mentioning your junior cert. The important one is the leaving, and if you have that, well they'll know you have the junior.

Right this is how it stands at present, what else should I add/change?

Objective:
    Currently looking for an apprenticeship in mechanics.
    I am interested in learning of the motor car and further extending my career in work.

EDUCATION:
    Junior cert (2004)
    Completed at St. Kieran’s college, College Rd. Kilkenny.

Employment History.
    Dunnes stores,
    Kieran street,
    Kilkenny
    2006 - present.
    Duties include:
    1)Moving and taking stock to shop floor.
    2)Stacking of goods and pallets.
    3)Informing and helping customers.
    4)Cleaning and maintaining the store during hours

Kilkenny Citroen Centre,
    Callan road,
    Kilkenny.
    Duties included:
    1)Cleaning of cars.
    2)Working in the parts store.
    3)Upkeep of the premises.

OTHER SKILLS:
    European computer drivers licence.
    Food safety training.

HOBBIES AND INTERESTS:
    Racing model cars and keeping them in good order by the means of maintenance and rebuilding. I’m interested in PC’s as well as video game consoles.
    I like to travel to different places around Ireland and to other foreign countries around Europe. I love cars and have always been interested in how they work and how they are designed.

Comments:
    A hard working member of a team, interested in learning new skills and using my past skills to perform and get tasks done. Friendly mannered and easy to get on with.

Advertisement