Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Americans.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

It's about fifteen miles east of here. (I'm typing this from Oakland). Take 580, and it's where it intersects 680. Has Camp Parks Reserve Forces Training Center, a bunch of car showrooms, and a fair few hi-tech companies. Decent place to live, if a little pricey and a nasty commute.

However, on that note...

If you're visiting the US, and I ask you where you're from, please don't answer with "Ireland" or "The UK". I've already sussed out that much from the passport, ID card, accent, whatever caused me to figure out you were from somewhere unusual. Most people around here will not confuse an answer of "London" when spoken with an English accent for London, Ontario. Ditto Galway or Cork. Now, if you're from some suburb of Arklow, fair enough, perhaps it's worth being a little more general, maybe the county.

Rubbish. We're just being helpful and specific. It takes as long to drive across the US (not counting Alaska) as it does to drive across Europe. San Francisco to Los Angeles is as long, as the 'plane flies, from Dublin to London, and that's only half the length of California. Do you say "I'm from the British Isles?" Of course not. It's not very specific. And it's not as if a response of "I'm from Wyoming" is going to cause confusion in many people thinking "Ah, Wyoming, Germany. Nice place." I tend to be even more specific. I'll say I'm from San Francisco, (though I actually live in neighbouring San Jose), quite happy in the knowledge that 99% of people will not need me to expand "San Francisco, in California, in the US."

Give us a little credit.

NTM

^^^ Americans also like to talk alot and not make any sense ^^^

Also no Irish person would tell you that they are from the British Isles (unless their name was Ian Paisley ;)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Im in washington state currently. And by and large, every american ive met is a damn sight more friendly, welcoming, and downright more pleasant than anyone youd meet in Dublin. Dublin is rapidly turning into a ****hole and is being overrun by scum, trust me, we are in no way superior to America and this 'lol americans are retatrded were so much better' attitude is pathetic. My american gf, her folks, and friends have more college degrees than everyne i know back home put together.

and h yeah, rule 1 & 2, noobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Irish people are generally sarky, annoying, unfriendly and get off on looking down on other people. I can say this, because I'm Irish. Isn't it great how things work out like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

The Bollox wrote:
    I never thought about that before, but my God, it's so true!

One of the reasons is all the states are different. Another is Americans assume you already know they are American. ;) Another, and most importantly, many Southerners, especially Texans, consider their state to be a more important part of their culture and being than the federal government. What the US does on a federal level often has little to do with what people want at th state level. It's ridiculous, really. The feds used to have much much less power and control, and the states used to have more rights. But that changed greatly after the civil war.

Wez

I'm from Texas.

Marshy wrote:
    Are we talking about people from the same country here? :confused:

I met quite a few yanks this summer on hols and I'd say the vast majority live up to their stereotype. Most of the time its not just about being stupid but rather being plain ignorant.

There are plenty of profoundly stupid Americans.

Wez

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Raekwon wrote:
    ^^^ Americans also like to talk alot and not make any sense ^^^

Also no Irish person would tell you that they are from the British Isles (unless their name was Ian Paisley ;)).

Doesn't make it geographically any less accurate, though.

NTM

djpbarry wrote:
    [*]Most Americans who have heard of Ireland think it was part of the UK. I could not convince them I was not "British".
    [*]One woman tried to engage me in conversation on bus in Maine. She asked where I was from; I told her I was Irish. She asked what I was doing in Maine; I told her I was on a working holiday. She asked when I was returning home; I told her September. This all took about 1 minute to explain. I couldn't believe what she said next: "You don't speak English? They don't teach you guys English over there, huh?"
    [/LIST]
    Unbelievable. :eek:

I've come across this, too, when speaking with fellow Americans. Many believe Ireland is part of the UK. I can only assume they think the U2 song Sunday Bloody Sunday is about a particularly rough NFL weekend.

The worst part about the woman from Maine quote is that Americans DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH! We butchered it a long time ago with the help of Noah Webster and inbreeding. The French and The italians often tell me I speak American, not English. But tell an American they don't speak English, and they'll stare at you blankly(which is a past time here).

Wez

Lirange wrote:
    Fortunately, we often send our most enlightened and world savvy young people to America to rid them of some of their ignorance and preconceptions about Ireland. These two young Irish women make an admirable effort at correcting some stereotypes at a 4th of July bash at a beach in San Diego. Move forward to about 2:45 ... unless you're interested in the idea of how they manage to accomodate hundreds of thousands of people onto one beach. We should have such a bash in Skerries. ;)

Lovely gals. :)

Wez

Ugh! Worse yet, those are largely Texans with a few American toursists sprinkled in. I recognize San Antonio, and then theres the Alamo being in the background of a few shots...

Our isolation(self imposed as well as physical), lack of control we feel we have over the Federal government, and general stupidity makes us easy targets...

Wez
    Jon wrote:

dlofnep wrote:
    There are some smart americans, and some stupid americans. There are also some stupid Irish people. The thing is, it's "cool" to hate Americans.

Next year, we'll see French-hating at an all time high. Whatever the latest fad is.

Careful, now. You'll end up in the French hating coalition of the willing then.

Personally, I like the French. Must be the Joi d'vive! ;)

Wez

• Advertisement

Plug wrote:
    Look at part one, two and then three. Nuff said

Man, it hurt when I saw that episode. I generally put up with Clarksons America bashing because, well, he is often right. But that episode really put Southerners in a bad light.

I'll tell ya wot, tho - there are some seriously racist son a bidges down south, and all heavily armed. Clarkson was lucky all he got was rock instead of lead.

Wez

When I was in america I was chatting to a girl for a while, joking away etc. When she asked me why I was in America, I said, in an extremely falsetto voice "Ah sure, I'm here to find me lucky charms, have ye seen them anywhere a'tal a'tal" and she replied "Oh no, you're not fooling me with that one". Quite apart from the lack of sarcasm, clearly somebody had already fooled her with that one earlier that day.

Sorry, Mate. She'd already found me lucky charms previously that day, and was all worn out by the time you'd arrived. ;)

Wez

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Was in Austin last year and someone asked me if we had the restaurant Mc Donald's in Ireland! I told them no and that i was posting cheese burgers home to my 13 brothers and sisters because they had never eaten meat before :D

Most of the people i met over there knew where Ireland was and that we weren't part of the UK.

Was in Austin last year and someone asked me if we had the restaurant Mc Donald's in Ireland! I told them no and that i was posting cheese burgers home to my 13 brothers and sisters because they had never eaten meat before :D
    Most of the people i met over there knew where Ireland was and that we weren't part of the UK

Ack! That ain't right! Did they arrive OK, tho? ;)
    Personally, I prefer SuperMacs.

Wez

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Hmmmmm curry cheese and garlic cheese chips, one day i will convert the Americans and convince them that it should be their national dish :)

Hmmmmm curry cheese and garlic cheese chips, one day i will convert the Americans and convince them that it should be their national dish :)

Curry is becoming popular in The States nowadays what with all the Indian immigrants. I so love a curry, and was quite pleased to find it was as tasty and available in Dublin as Austin. My stomach may disagree on occasion, but that's nothing a few pints in pub won't fix...and maybe some milk of magnesia...and a roll of Tums...

Wez

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

If you're visiting the US, and I ask you where you're from, please don't answer with "Ireland" or "The UK". I've already sussed out that much from the passport, ID card, accent, whatever caused me to figure out you were from somewhere unusual. Most people around here will not confuse an answer of "London" when spoken with an English accent for London, Ontario. Ditto Galway or Cork.

I'm afraid I have to disagree. If I'm in America and someone asks me where I'm from and I say "Dublin", they will most likely either stare at me blankly or else say something like "in Ohio?” If an American asks me where I'm from, I will tell them I'm from Ireland. Now, granted, some will respond with "No! Really?!?!", because it's painfully obvious that I'm not American. But, some will also respond with "Where?”

This is not childish America-bashing - I am speaking from personal experience. And I haven't even visited the southern states yet! I'm off to Texas in December though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

i remember a few years ago aload of fat americans came up to me in a campervan and asked weres the directions to the local camp site.
    So I showed them the way to the haltingsite:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Plug wrote:
    i remember a few years ago aload of fat americans came up to me in a campervan and asked weres the directions to the local camp site.

:confused:

And this is supposed to indicate that americans are stupid?

It indicates something completely different to me, something about you, but I'd get banned for saying it.
    Hmmmmm curry cheese and garlic cheese chips, one day i will convert the Americans and convince them that it should be their national dish
    My recent american guests got addicted to curry cheese chips and battered sausages. I sent em home with a tub of McDonnells curry sauce. I, in turn, got hooked on smores. Mmmm, smores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Wyk ... Peanut Butter and Jam?* :o

Why??

*what you call jelly. At least it is not gelatin. That's what I first thought.

• Advertisement

cornbb wrote:
    :confused:

And this is supposed to indicate that americans are stupid?

It indicates something completely different to me, something about you, but I'd get banned for saying it.

My recent american guests got addicted to curry cheese chips and battered sausages. I sent em home with a tub of McDonnells curry sauce. I, in turn, got hooked on smores. Mmmm, smores.
    No, it just indicates there suckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Plug wrote:
    No, it just indicates there suckers.

You mean they're suckers?

And no it doesn't! They asked for directions somewhere and you sent them somewhere completely different. How were they supposed to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

Didn't read.

/b/ is for faggots and makes you stupid.

kyp_durron wrote:
    Didn't read.

How do you know about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

kyp_durron wrote:
    Didn't read.

At the risk of sounding stupid...

WTF IS /B/ ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Remember this miss alabama video that has been going around...

Well...

http://www.morningtoast.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads//missmap.gif

WellyJ wrote:
    At the risk of sounding stupid...

WTF IS /B/ ?
    Its an evil website so i won't post a link.

Lirange wrote:
    Wyk ... Peanut Butter and Jam?* :o

Why??

*what you call jelly. At least it is not gelatin. That's what I first thought.

It's good stuff, especially with a glass of milk in the morning.

Jam, Jelly, Preserves, etc. are all different types of fruit spreads. Jam is sweet, peanut buter is salty - so they go together. Even so, it's mainly something for children in the States. Adults rarely eat it.

My favorite culinary cultural difference are eggs. In the States, you can have eggs a dozen different ways. When I ask guests how they want their eggs in Ireland, the usual response is "Cooked". ;)

Wez

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Srsly guyz!

Rules 1 & 2 FFS!

And yes it is for faggots and really makes you dumber then miss south carolina.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Plug wrote:

Bravo *clap clap* :rolleyes:

You're everything that is great about our fine country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement