Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Americans.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

You're joking right ! Please say your joking !
    I wish I was, I really do. AC knows the movie too, ask him about it.

Irish Jam!
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405052/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

There are some smart americans, and some stupid americans. There are also some stupid Irish people. The thing is, it's "cool" to hate Americans.

Next year, we'll see French-hating at an all time high. Whatever the latest fad is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

dlofnep wrote:
    There are some smart americans, and some stupid americans. There are also some stupid Irish people. The thing is, it's "cool" to hate Americans.

Next year, we'll see French-hating at an all time high. Whatever the latest fad is.

i have been waiting for this one the cheese eating surrender monkeys

dlofnep wrote:
    Nah, I've never liked the French anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Duggy747 wrote:
    I wish I was, I really do. AC knows the movie too, ask him about it.

Irish Jam!
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405052/

Dear Lord :eek:
    Don't know where this little gem came from, or if it ever appeared in any theater, but it tops most of what comes out of Hollywood these days. It's funny, touching, and a sensory feast for the eyes and ears. If you like anything about Ireland, you'll likely enjoy this movie. All of the performances are excellent.

Dear Lord :eek:
    :eek: THAT I did not see! Be funny if people believed we're still living in potato sacks and when they come over they'll see how much of a thriving country we are with our brand new spanking cars all over the place, our metrosexual men and the sorts.

"Honey, we're are all the donkeeey carts?"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I have to agree with the general consensus here - the average American has a lower IQ than a turnip. I spent a total of four months in the US between 2003 and 2005. Now, I did meet a certain number of people who seemed reasonably well-informed. For example:
    • I befriended a guy who kept a close eye on developments in Tibet.
    • I met a guy who could list, in detail, just about every conflict the US has been involved in overseas.
    • I even met one girl who knew about the Northside-Southside divide in Dublin.
    But, these people were in the extreme minority, and they tended to have parents who were born outside the US.

A large number of the people I encountered would have trouble dressing themselves, I suspect. For example:
    • The number of Americans who have not heard of Ireland is astounding.
    • A large number of Americans who have heard of Ireland have never heard of Dublin.
    • Most Americans who have heard of Ireland think it was part of the UK. I could not convince them I was not "British".
    • One woman tried to engage me in conversation on bus in Maine. She asked where I was from; I told her I was Irish. She asked what I was doing in Maine; I told her I was on a working holiday. She asked when I was returning home; I told her September. This all took about 1 minute to explain. I couldn't believe what she said next: "You don't speak English? They don't teach you guys English over there, huh?"
    Unbelievable. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Jon wrote:
    You my friend are a legend!

Lets lock this thread theres no more to be said!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

Rob_l wrote:
    i have been waiting for this one the cheese eating surrender monkeys
    Better than being a burger eating invasion monkey :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Metacortex

djpbarry wrote:
    [/LIST]

[*]One woman tried to engage me in conversation on bus in Maine. She asked where I was from; I told her I was Irish. She asked what I was doing in Maine; I told her I was on a working holiday. She asked when I was returning home; I told her September. This all took about 1 minute to explain. I couldn't believe what she said next: "You don't speak English? They don't teach you guys English over there, huh?"
    [/LIST]
    Unbelievable. :eek:

Quality.

I was speaking to an american woman earlier who hadn't heard of our little country.

But then again i don't know any americans so i can't comment. I know that theres idiots everywhere.
    I had a woman call me last week (english) for help because she needed help on plugging in her computer, into the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

During my travels around the US over the last couple of weeks I only actually managed to find one person that was confused when I said I was from Dublin. He happened to be from Cavan and thought I meant a place called Dublin that is aparently near Oakland.

I think my clearly non-Dublin accent confused him though so he figured I was living in the US, all the actual Americans I met surprisingly had heard of Ireland.
    dlofnep wrote:
    Hating the French never goes out of fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Turkilton

You got 160 points in the leaving and work in Dunnes Stores you dumb ****

Could be the response you would expect from an American

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Careful now.

Turkilton wrote:
    You got 160 points in the leaving and work in Dunnes Stores you dumb ****

Could be the response you would expect from an American
    Can be a response you get from a lot of people, though normally you'll get a pop in the mouth as a response ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 inspiron77

i never been to America and i wish one day i can be there. Any great thing happening in America now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

inspiron77 wrote:
    i never been to America and i wish one day i can be there. Any great thing happening in America now?

America? **** YEH!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,011 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There are some smart Americans. They're the ones who realise that they have to head-hunt science wizards from every other country, throwing big bucks at them to get them to move. They're also clever enough to nab any other scientific data that they can get their hands on, sometimes even paying for it.

The big problem with this is that, once they put all of the stuff together e.g. the high technology of their huge war-machine, the "Turnips" (description stolen from a previous poster - thanks) don't know how to use it, so they start things that they can't finish.

I have no favourites, I hate everybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭spooiirt!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

During my travels around the US over the last couple of weeks I only actually managed to find one person that was confused when I said I was from Dublin. He happened to be from Cavan and thought I meant a place called Dublin that is aparently near Oakland.

It's about fifteen miles east of here. (I'm typing this from Oakland). Take 580, and it's where it intersects 680. Has Camp Parks Reserve Forces Training Center, a bunch of car showrooms, and a fair few hi-tech companies. Decent place to live, if a little pricey and a nasty commute.

However, on that note...

If you're visiting the US, and I ask you where you're from, please don't answer with "Ireland" or "The UK". I've already sussed out that much from the passport, ID card, accent, whatever caused me to figure out you were from somewhere unusual. Most people around here will not confuse an answer of "London" when spoken with an English accent for London, Ontario. Ditto Galway or Cork. Now, if you're from some suburb of Arklow, fair enough, perhaps it's worth being a little more general, maybe the county.
    If you ask an American, they don't say "I'm from America", they say "Im from Georgia, I'm from Texas" etc.
    Wether its a result of being such a big country, or lack of information/education or whatever, they are very unaware of the world around them

Rubbish. We're just being helpful and specific. It takes as long to drive across the US (not counting Alaska) as it does to drive across Europe. San Francisco to Los Angeles is as long, as the 'plane flies, from Dublin to London, and that's only half the length of California. Do you say "I'm from the British Isles?" Of course not. It's not very specific. And it's not as if a response of "I'm from Wyoming" is going to cause confusion in many people thinking "Ah, Wyoming, Germany. Nice place." I tend to be even more specific. I'll say I'm from San Francisco, (though I actually live in neighbouring San Jose), quite happy in the knowledge that 99% of people will not need me to expand "San Francisco, in California, in the US."

Give us a little credit.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It's about fifteen miles east of here. (I'm typing this from Oakland). Take 580, and it's where it intersects 680. Has Camp Parks Reserve Forces Training Center, a bunch of car showrooms, and a fair few hi-tech companies. Decent place to live, if a little pricey and a nasty commute.

However, on that note...

If you're visiting the US, and I ask you where you're from, please don't answer with "Ireland" or "The UK". I've already sussed out that much from the passport, ID card, accent, whatever caused me to figure out you were from somewhere unusual. Most people around here will not confuse an answer of "London" when spoken with an English accent for London, Ontario. Ditto Galway or Cork. Now, if you're from some suburb of Arklow, fair enough, perhaps it's worth being a little more general, maybe the county.

Rubbish. We're just being helpful and specific. It takes as long to drive across the US (not counting Alaska) as it does to drive across Europe. San Francisco to Los Angeles is as long, as the 'plane flies, from Dublin to London, and that's only half the length of California. Do you say "I'm from the British Isles?" Of course not. It's not very specific. And it's not as if a response of "I'm from Wyoming" is going to cause confusion in many people thinking "Ah, Wyoming, Germany. Nice place." I tend to be even more specific. I'll say I'm from San Francisco, (though I actually live in neighbouring San Jose), quite happy in the knowledge that 99% of people will not need me to expand "San Francisco, in California, in the US."

Give us a little credit.

NTM
    Aren't you Irish?

Anyway, Ron Jeremy knows where Leixlip is. Well, according to my friend who me him he does. Apparently he has a friend who is high up in Maynooth college and regularly visits him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Stupid american bashers :D

Ireland is so small it can almost fit in Lake Superior! Our whole island has a population smaller than Chicago (im including suburbs).
    Sure there are stupid Americans, but far more intelligent Americans than stupid ones. Trust me, i have been around them all my life. Im married to one. I go there a lot.

You can also trust me that Americans themselves are ashamed of the "stupid" ones. My mother in law was in the south, georgia or South carolina visiting family.. not sure.. anyway she told someone there she was going to Ireland. And their response was "how long of a drive is that?" :D They had not heard of the country... She was horrified that some of her own people were so stupid.

The point is most Americans are very smart. I have never met any truly stupid Americans and i have met hundreds if not thousands of them. On the other hand i have met more stupid Irish people than Americans. so stupid they do not even know where westmeath is, or think its just part of meath and wonder why meath gets 2 Gaa teams :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Fortunately, we often send our most enlightened and world savvy young people to America to rid them of some of their ignorance and preconceptions about Ireland. These two young Irish women make an admirable effort at correcting some stereotypes at a 4th of July bash at a beach in San Diego. Move forward to about 2:45 ... unless you're interested in the idea of how they manage to accomodate hundreds of thousands of people onto one beach. We should have such a bash in Skerries. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

geez, yer wan must be on 80 smokes a day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Saruman wrote:
    The point is most Americans are very smart. I have never met any truly stupid Americans and i have met hundreds if not thousands of them.
    Are we talking about people from the same country here? :confused:

I met quite a few yanks this summer on hols and I'd say the vast majority live up to their stereotype. Most of the time its not just about being stupid but rather being plain ignorant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

WellyJ wrote:
    Not really fair to bring the OPs Leaving cert results into this

The LC is 'not' a measure of intelligence, at all - 85% memory - basically a glorified spelling test. So because he ended up with low enough points he shouldn't take part in this convo? The mind boggles ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Wossack wrote:
    geez, yer wan must be on 80 smokes a day
    She's smokin' or she's tokin? :D

Ever notice how those that prefer a negative attitude toward the Americans always meet the "stupid" ones and those that prefer the positive always meet the "smart" ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Rules 1 & 2 !!!

Srsly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

WellyJ wrote:
    Anyone else a little tired of the America bashing?

YORE SISTAR isen't!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement