Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People that clap on Planes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Last time I clapped on a plane I'd just arrived home safely from Lebanon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

I hate when my plane crashes. I don't mind people clapping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Not being pedantic , but its people who say"People that clap on planes" are the people who usually do the clapping.People who would say"People who clap on planes" usually stay silent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

The Bollox wrote:
    yes please, enlighten me. he's paid to do a job, he does it. same as the bus drivers, train conductors and taxi drivers

Car: Gears, steering wheel, foot pedals.
    Plane: http://cdn-www.airliners.net/photos/middle/5/4/6/1249645.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Oriel wrote:
    Car: Gears, steering wheel, foot pedals.
    Plane: http://cdn-www.airliners.net/photos/middle/5/4/6/1249645.jpg

Pwned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Good point Oriel and that's a modern glass cockpit, what if your in something a little older?!
    http://www.airlinerphotos.com/wallpaper/727cockpit_12.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

As a Pilot, let me tell you there's a huge difference between driving a car, and flying a plane. In a car, you have 2 axis' to control and one variable, you have left right, forwards backwards, and velocity.

In a plane ... well, you have 3 primary axis', x y and z (Roll, pitch and yaw), you have velocity, you have the problem that when you change one axis, one of the others will sympathetically change too and you have to compensate for that. And you have all the additional controls and checklists AND conversation to keep going with Air Traffic Control (ATC).

When you park a car, you check to see if you can fit in the space, and keep an eye out for cars behind you.

When you land a plane, you have to request permission from the tower to join the downwind leg of the circuit, go through the downwind checklist (About 10-15 items to check, depending on your plane), keep the tower informed of what you're doing, then turn to the base leg, do your base checks, keep the tower informed, and then do your finals, and talk to the tower, while maintaining a rate of descent. Through all of this, you'll have had to extend flaps, gear, turn on landing lights, fuel pumps, keep your angle of descent in line with the PAPI lights, while CONSTANTLY inputting control changes to all controls, CONSTANTLY talking to the tower, keeping an eye out for other traffic, and at the very last moment, you have to make sure the landing is a smooth as possible. Then throw in some crosswinds, and try doing all that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's stupid, but doesn't affect me.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I always cringe when they do it :o .. maybe I'm just a killjoy lol :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

If you clap on a plane you are a retard. If you complain about people complaining about things you are a retard.

I am not complaining about anything, merely pointing out how everybody is a retard

• Advertisement

If you clap on a plane you are a retard. If you complain about people complaining about things you are a retard.

I am not complaining about anything, merely pointing out how everybody is a retard

I predict a banning, I predict a banning ...

Mairt wrote:
    Last time I clapped on a plane I'd just arrived home safely from Lebanon :D

You're lucky they didn't think it was gunfire ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

ned78 wrote:
    As a Pilot, let me tell you there's a huge difference between driving a car, and flying a plane. In a car, you have 2 axis' to control and one variable, you have left right, forwards backwards, and velocity.

In a plane ... well, you have 3 primary axis', x y and z (Roll, pitch and yaw), you have velocity, you have the problem that when you change one axis, one of the others will sympathetically change too and you have to compensate for that. And you have all the additional controls and checklists AND conversation to keep going with Air Traffic Control (ATC).

When you park a car, you check to see if you can fit in the space, and keep an eye out for cars behind you.

When you land a plane, you have to request permission from the tower to join the downwind leg of the circuit, go through the downwind checklist (About 10-15 items to check, depending on your plane), keep the tower informed of what you're doing, then turn to the base leg, do your base checks, keep the tower informed, and then do your finals, and talk to the tower, while maintaining a rate of descent. Through all of this, you'll have had to extend flaps, gear, turn on landing lights, fuel pumps, keep your angle of descent in line with the PAPI lights, while CONSTANTLY inputting control changes to all controls, CONSTANTLY talking to the tower, keeping an eye out for other traffic, and at the very last moment, you have to make sure the landing is a smooth as possible. Then throw in some crosswinds, and try doing all that.
    Piece of piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

They clap cause they're American...

Ned everyone these days are just supergreat and we're all fantastically cynical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

ned78 wrote:

But bus drivers have to contend with traffic and 'the public'. Airline pilots are less skilled in some ways :cool: Wouldn't be feeling too superior if I were you. God bless Ryanair.

Yep- what I said above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

ned78 wrote:
    As a Pilot, let me tell you there's a huge difference between driving a car, and flying a plane.

My mate proved which was easier. He got his license to fly an A321 and subsequently failed his driving test.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

gyppo wrote:
    What was even more sickening however, was the pre-recorded fanfare and announcement by some american accented wanker lauding the fact that the flight arrived ahead of schedule

Oh yeah, that! When coming back from Belgium, they played it, I just said, quite loudly, "Ah, ffs". I hadnt heard it before, and couldnt believe it either. People laughed at this more.

Now, in this sort of situation, I wouldnt mind clapping:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umvR2X5Dmh8

Plane lands on one wheel, in crosswind. Thats a good pilot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

its a piece of piss i can do it in fligh sim no prob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I usually thank the bus driver or taxi driver when getting out - I know I'm saying "thanks for taking my money while you do your job" but unless they're assholes (or did something wrong, like make a big deal about giving me my change) a thank you costs nothing.

I also thank the cabin crew when exiting a plane and if the pilot was standing there I'd thank him/her too. I don't applaud, though, and wouldn't unless the pilot had done something amazing.

Applause and 'thanks' are two very different things. I say thanks all the time. I often use it to thank people for doing their job as they're supposed to - like the way I say thanks to the cashier for giving me my change back, or handing me the item I've just bought.

If they do something amazing I'd say something else, like 'you've been a great help', 'I really appreciate that' or whatever. Clapping would be the hand-based equivalent of that if speech is, for whatever reason, impossible.

No doubt a plane is 100 times harder to operate than a car but that doesn't make it an achievement for the pilot to do something s/he's trained for and paid for no more than it's an achievement for the bus driver to do similar.

If the pilot overcomes a serious problem and gets us to our destination in one piece I'd applaud - I'd probably dance a little too. If I was on a bus into town and the bus driver avoided a similar, land-based disaster I'd applaud them too.

As for people applauding in cinemas, I don't think they're applauding the projectionist, I think they're applauding the film. Now that's stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

Glad to discover this clapping on planes annoys people!! I thought I was the only one

This and clapping and "woo"-ing in the cinema when a film is about to begin.

Shut the f*ck up - its a cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Well put Flogen, very funny post.

Has anyone noticed how Ryanair are always 15 mins ahead of schedule. I'm convinced that they always add 15/20 to the predicted flight time, so when they get there 'ahead' of schedule (ie on time), they can make a song and dance of it and play the fanfare and make everyone think they're great. I can honestly say that the last 10 ryanair flight I've taken have been 'ahead of schedule.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Plissken1

Well put Flogen, very funny post.

Has anyone noticed how Ryanair are always 15 mins ahead of schedule. I'm convinced that they always add 15/20 to the predicted flight time, so when they get there 'ahead' of schedule (ie on time), they can make a song and dance of it and play the fanfare and make everyone think they're great. I can honestly say that the last 10 ryanair flight I've taken have been 'ahead of schedule.'

CIE tried to do this, but the ****ers are still LATE ! haa

I always wondered, what does the pilot make of all this clapping ?

A. "awe, isnt that nice"

B. "GOB****ES"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

flogen wrote:
    I usually thank the bus driver or taxi driver when getting out - I know I'm saying "thanks for taking my money while you do your job" but unless they're assholes (or did something wrong, like make a big deal about giving me my change) a thank you costs nothing.

I also thank the cabin crew when exiting a plane and if the pilot was standing there I'd thank him/her too. I don't applaud, though, and wouldn't unless the pilot had done something amazing.

Applause and 'thanks' are two very different things. I say thanks all the time. I often use it to thank people for doing their job as they're supposed to - like the way I say thanks to the cashier for giving me my change back, or handing me the item I've just bought.

If they do something amazing I'd say something else, like 'you've been a great help', 'I really appreciate that' or whatever. Clapping would be the hand-based equivalent of that if speech is, for whatever reason, impossible.

No doubt a plane is 100 times harder to operate than a car but that doesn't make it an achievement for the pilot to do something s/he's trained for and paid for no more than it's an achievement for the bus driver to do similar.

If the pilot overcomes a serious problem and gets us to our destination in one piece I'd applaud - I'd probably dance a little too. If I was on a bus into town and the bus driver avoided a similar, land-based disaster I'd applaud them too.

As for people applauding in cinemas, I don't think they're applauding the projectionist, I think they're applauding the film. Now that's stupid.

^ditto. Its just common courtesy to thank people for providing any service, as even though they are getting paid to do it, they are still doing it and making my and your life easier because of it.

As regards clapping I also agree, i'll only clap if the landing was particularly hairy and the pilot deserves recognition for holding his nerves and getting us all to terra ferma safely. I accept that other people clap because the experience of flying is different for everybody, what I would view as a normal landing another more skittery person might few as amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Plissken1 wrote:
    I always wondered, what does the pilot make of all this clapping ?

He probably can't even hear them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Plissken1

He probably can't even hear them!!

Probably, so you don't actually know then ? your a great help !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I'm going to clap twice as hard anymore now because I know it annoys people.

Instead of having threads entitled 'What annoys you?' or 'Does X annoy anyone else?'

Why don't you have a thread entitled 'What DOESN'T annoy you?', there would be far fewer replies and the list would be quite short for the Irish contingent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Caliden wrote:
    I'm going to clap twice as hard anymore now because I know it annoys people.

Instead of having threads entitled 'What annoys you?' or 'Does X annoy anyone else?'

Why don't you have a thread entitled 'What DOESN'T annoy you?', there would be far fewer replies and the list would be quite short for the Irish contingent.

Meooow.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭squishywishy

Thought the exact same thing as i got off the plane the other night.....some people have no lives! lol wanted to deck the idiots who were wasting their time clapping rather than gathering their stuff and getting the hell off the plane!!
    whats next...clapping everytime the bus driver gets safely to the next bus stop????

Advertisement