Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People that clap on Planes

Options
  • 19-08-2007 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭

Is it just me or does this wreck your head???
    why on earth do people clap when a plane lands ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It doesn't bother me, I normally have the headphones on anyway. The only time the pilot warranted a clap was when it was a near perfect landing in very rough conditions in Dublin last year on my flight from the US. They are probably just glad to get off as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Because the plane didn't crash. But it is stupid alright

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Because I can't wait to party at the location I land?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Not as bad as people applauding the projectionist in the cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

so the next time im in a taxi which is statistically far more likely to crash i should break out in applause ???
    anyone notice its always the budget travel planes that do it the most
    if u go to Dubai or NYC noone claps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

roughan wrote:

That does my head in too but I've had some very rough landings on ryanair and while I'm not a nervous passenger at all I have developed a new respect for the landing gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

roughan wrote:
    so the next time im in a taxi which is statistically far more likely to crash i should break out in applause ???
    anyone notice its always the budget travel planes that do it the most
    if u go to Dubai or NYC noone claps!

The odds of a taxi crashing are higher than the odds of a plane crashing, but the odds of death in a plane crash must be a little higher than those of death in a taxi crash i'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Lots of people are terrified of flying, so are overjoyed to have safely arrived.

If you understood what's going through their head (I do!) then you'd have a lot more sympathy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Fact you could be in a plane non stop for somethin like 500,000 years and still the chances of crashing are 50/50-according to a show urban myths.
    The irony in all of it is, if after they clap, they are in a car crash on the way home. Also I have no problem with it on long flights, but on cheap package holidays it's pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I have found it only to happen from Mediterranean countries personally. And to Russia I think they clapped. I like it, don't do it but I like the fact that people do it. If I was a pilot I'd be happy that people clapped. Share the love!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

roughan wrote:

To excite people with small minds!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Just noticed this yesterday evening on a ryanair flight from Italy. Lots of clapping when we landed, what a load of sh1te.

What was even more sickening however, was the pre-recorded fanfare and announcement by some american accented wanker lauding the fact that the flight arrived ahead of schedule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

gyppo wrote:
    What was even more sickening however, was the pre-recorded fanfare and announcement by some american accented wanker lauding the fact that the flight arrived ahead of schedule.

That pisses me off too and there is always someone who will believe it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Gordon wrote:
    I have found it only to happen from Mediterranean countries personally.

Bingo. Seems to be a Meditteranean thing, at least in Europe. I can't remember an Olympic Airways flight that the passengers didn't applaud, particularly after a very good landing.

I rather like it, actually.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Its never happened when I've been on a plane. I might clap if the pilot landed with two wheels or upside down of something like that.

Yep, what dublindude said.

OP, next time you're on a plane boo when the plane successfully lands and see how far that gets you!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Maybe instead of clapping next time. you should pass the hat around. Even more so if they are based in Belfast :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Happens on most planes to the Baltics too. I hate it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Is it not the same thing as people thanking the bus driver when they get off a bus? Obviously you can't knock on the cockpit door and thank the pilot as you disembark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I was away with my b-ball team once and we decided it would be great crack to do it........everyone joined in, twas classic :p We were like 16/17 at the time so it was allowed. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 xx_lynda_xx

I start it for the laugh :D Tis very funny...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It does not bother me in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

After transatlantic flights my ears are so shot that I cannot hear anything upon touchdown. All I seem to hear is that sound of the pressurised stagnant air swooshing in the cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Twinkers

Yeah I agree with Firetrap. Think its like a way of saying thanks to the pilot for a safe trip. I've experienced it on a lot of flights to Canada too - doesn't bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I think it's a bit silly, like saying 'I don't get out much'. Though it may be appropriate after a hijack/hostage situation that has ended safely. :D
    Ruu wrote:
    I normally have the headphones on anyway
    You're not really supposed to have them on Ruu as the flight crew may have to issue specific safety instructions in relation to landing. Do they not ask you to remove them?
    dublindude wrote:
    Lots of people are terrified of flying
    They would hardly be on the plane if they were terrified of flying. :confused:
    dublindude wrote:
    overjoyed to have safely arrived.
    But the most dangerous part of their journey is just begining. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

DaveMcG wrote:
    It does not bother me in the slightest.
    What he said.

How the f*ck does it actually affect some of you who say you "hate it" or who it "does your head in"? People are happy that they've landed safely, the pilot has done a good job and everyones happy, so a round of applause is hardly OTT or however you special f*ckers feel it is.

Or maybe the same people are just worthless sh1ts working menial jobs where noone even notices they're there, and therefore are jealous of the pilots ovation, his congratulations on a job well done.

Anyway, the ryanair thing is awful tacky, degrades the airline even further imo. Quite funny all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

agree with rb_ie! Some people will find just about anything to complain about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

if a bus driver successfully navigated you from Dublin to Cork would you applaud his efforts? or how about a train driver? I don't think so. what makes a pilot so much more important?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

The Bollox wrote:
    if a bus driver successfully navigated you from Dublin to Cork would you applaud his efforts? or how about a train driver? I don't think so. what makes a pilot so much more important?
    Erm, does that really need to be pointed out to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Hate the Ryanair fanfare thing too.

Though in fairness, I also loathe the safety demonstrations, announcements about seatbelts etc. Just let me listen to my mp3 player or watch a movie on my laptop in peace damn you!

Advertisement