Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People that clap on Planes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

rb_ie wrote:
    How the f*ck does it actually affect some of you who say you "hate it" or who it "does your head in"? People are happy that they've landed safely, the pilot has done a good job and everyones happy, so a round of applause is hardly OTT or however you special f*ckers feel it is.

I suppose you detect no whiff of hypocrisy from the fact that you're irritated by us being irritated by them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

rb_ie wrote:
    Erm, does that really need to be pointed out to you?
    yes please, enlighten me. he's paid to do a job, he does it. same as the bus drivers, train conductors and taxi drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

gyppo wrote:
    Just noticed this yesterday evening on a ryanair flight from Italy. Lots of clapping when we landed, what a load of sh1te.

What was even more sickening however, was the pre-recorded fanfare and announcement by some american accented wanker lauding the fact that the flight arrived ahead of schedule.
    if that was from rome i was on it!!

i think ryanair are stating all of their arrival times much later than expected so that they an call themselves the "On time airline".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Was in the Grand Canyon last year and we all went out to a particular point to see the sun set. Lots of people were there and when the sun went down people applauded!!!! I mean come on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I usually thank the bus drivers, especially Bus Eireann drivers when on an intercity route.

So clapping the pilot is no big deal. As others have posted it's thanks for a job well done!
    Although I doubt the pilot can hear it but maybe the air hostess will pass it on.

Now clapping in the cinema when a machine played the film is weird

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

The Bollox wrote:
    well this is the second time you have avoided explaining why pilots deserve an applause while bus drivers, taxi drivers and train drivers don't deserve anything
    To most logical, thinking people it would be pretty obvious what the difference was.

Since you claim to not see it, you're joining the rest of the special people who's posts I no longer actually have to see in threads.

Although, I think you're just trolling, I haven't witnessed such stupidity in anyone above the age of 13, so it's troll/idiot/child, whichever, all deserve to be ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Was in the Grand Canyon last year and we all went out to a particular point to see the sun set. Lots of people were there and when the sun went down people applauded!!!! I mean come on!!

Damn pagans!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I love when passengers do it, make a change from the normal humdrum of landing. Happens on a lot of Eastern European flights I'm on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

You think thats annoying, i was at the premiere of snakes on a plane in boston last summer and every time samuel l jackson appeared on screen their was a rapturous round of applause.. All through the film.. ****in ridiculous!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Gordon wrote:
    I have found it only to happen from Mediterranean countries personally. And to Russia I think they clapped. I like it, don't do it but I like the fact that people do it. If I was a pilot I'd be happy that people clapped. Share the love!

I agree with Gordon, share the love folks! I think it shows a certain innocence with the passengers, they might very well be inexperianced flyers. Actually flying in a plane is an amazing thing when you think about it, why not applaud that you've taken part in something that man dreamed of for centuries and has only achieved in the last 100 years or so.

Don't be so cynical.
    ned78 wrote:
    Happens on a lot of Eastern European flights I'm on.
    Same here, that's when I first noticed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Haha. That made me laugh. The same happens at cafe del mar in Ibiza. Yaaayyyy! well done, Sun.

boreds wrote:
    The same happens at cafe del mar in Ibiza..

Ugly women thrilled to see the sun go down (for obvious reasons)...maybe?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

eo980 wrote:
    I agree with Gordon, share the love folks! I think it shows a certain innocence with the passengers, they might very well be inexperianced flyers. Actually flying in a plane is an amazing thing when you think about it, why not applaud that you've taken part in something that man dreamed of for centuries and has only achieved in the last 100 years or so.

Yes but its the cynicism that drives us on to develop as a species..

Wright brother : "Hey baby, we invented a plane today! People will be able to fly!!"
    Irish woman: "Does it go into space?"
    Wright brother : "Em.. no"
    Irish woman: "Tut.."

Orange69 wrote:
    You think thats annoying, i was at the premiere of snakes on a plane in boston last summer and every time samuel l jackson appeared on screen their was a rapturous round of applause.. All through the film.. ****in ridiculous!!
    The link in your sig is fantastic!

Regarding applauding Samuel...well...it was Americans afterall...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Orange69 wrote:
    Wright brother : "Hey baby, we invented a plane today! People will be able to fly!!"
    Irish woman: "Does it go into space?"
    Wright brother : "Em.. no"
    Irish woman: "Tut.."

PMSL. Brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

rb_ie wrote:
    To most logical, thinking people it would be pretty obvious what the difference was.

Since you claim to not see it, you're joining the rest of the special people who's posts I no longer actually have to see in threads.

Although, I think you're just trolling, I haven't witnessed such stupidity in anyone above the age of 13, so it's troll/idiot/child, whichever, all deserve to be ignored.
    if it's so obvious then why are you finding it so difficult to explain it. surely you would want to show off your superior knowledge, so fire away... oh wait no, you don't actually have a reason why, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

rb_ie wrote:

Yet you don't ignore...

The Bollox. Stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

Firetrap wrote:
    Is it not the same thing as people thanking the bus driver when they get off a bus? Obviously you can't knock on the cockpit door and thank the pilot as you disembark.

Considering a lot of bus drivers are pretty miserable and we still say thanks haha... I think it's hilarious when people clap on planes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

The Bollox wrote:
    if a bus driver successfully navigated you from Dublin to Cork would you applaud his efforts? or how about a train driver? I don't think so. what makes a pilot so much more important?

I don't think that people are applauding the pilot as such, I think it's more the fact that they've completed the journey safely and are back on the ground. Think about it, your in a complex piece of engineering sitting comfortably, listening to your music. The plane weighs over 79,000 kilos and your flying along at over 900kph and it's relatively smooth. Flying opened up the world to us.

It is an amazing thing when you think about it. I know it's the safest form of travel, but that doesn't take away from the fact that your flying along at 100's of kilometre's an hour to far flung places. To take off on one continent and land thousands of miles away on another is something to be applauded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

roughan wrote:
    Is it just me or does this wreck your head???
    why on earth do people clap when a plane lands ?
    Because it's the highlight of their boring holiday? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

The Bollox wrote:
    if it's so obvious then why are you finding it so difficult to explain it. surely you would want to show off your superior knowledge, so fire away... oh wait no, you don't actually have a reason why, do you?

Well I agree with you but it seems like you've hit a sore spot with the mods for some reason. Alas we wont find out why these plane drivers are so much better than the bus and train drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

roughan wrote:
    Is it just me or does this wreck your head???
    why on earth do people clap when a plane lands ?

people who complain about small inconsequenial things annoy me more.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Orange69 wrote:

and yet we throw a 3 day party for a football team that comes nowhere in the world cup.

i guess its all about perspectives, isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Orange

Saw Superman Returns in NYC last summer.

There was loud applause in the cinema when Superman landed the plane on the sports pitch.

Why oh why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Orange wrote:
    Saw Superman Returns in NYC last summer.

There was loud applause in the cinema when Superman landed the plane on the sports pitch.

Why oh why
    Because the good guy won. Duh! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I went the the US for work and being on my own in a Hotel in the middle of nowhere i decided to visit the cinema.

Never again, its like a <insert loud sports event of your choice>.
    Everyone cheers the hero on, and even a few boos for the bad guy.
    And it wasnt from young uns or teenagers.
    It ruins the film. :mad:

By comparison i would only find the clapping on the plane annoying if it was all through the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

In our family we clap after someone has spent an eternity in the toilet and/or following an impressive acoustical performance in there. Surely, that is on par with a pilot. It's easier to avoid leaving skid marks on the runway than it is in the jacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,726 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

My flight out of Atlanta got cancelled - but not cancelled as in 'oh we get there and its cancelled' its more as in 'we circled the runway a dozen times and reboarded twice' before the pilot decided to declare the plane unsafe. After 5 hours beforehand and very little in the way of courtesy meals.

So while we wait for a backup plane out of Houston we have to spend the night in the GHETTO-ist city on the east coast - where 2 armed security guards have to be stationed outside yor motel thats 30 miles away because no hotel in the city can accomodate a plane full of passengers. and of course it took an hour to get there from the airport, too.

So dont blame me if we cheered when we took off and we cheered when we landed in Shannon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Personally I always "boo" if the pilot crashes the plane.

Advertisement