Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phrases and words that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

micmclo wrote:
    Christmas changed into xmas. Writing it is one thing but why do people say "Happy xmas".
    Suprised nobody else raised this.:confused:

Because it's still August! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

obl wrote:
    Yeah, they don't all use an s. In German: funf euroen = five euros.
    Yes, but Euro is universal. Except for the greeks, but they invented homos/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

I hate the way I over use "Like" and "Awesome". God damn American influences, I wish they would F**K off, making me talk like an arsehole.

I hate the way I over use "Like" and "Awesome". God damn American influences, I wish they would F**K off, making me talk like an arsehole.
    Do they make you elongate you "A's"?

The waaawr in Irawwwwq.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Eh, so I went up town today, and what d'you call it?

Can't stand when people say that when they forget what they were going to say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

obl wrote:
    Yeah, they don't all use an s. In German: funf euroen = five euros.
    The German plural for euro is the same as the singular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

My Ma really annoyed me when I was younger with phrases like

"Shut your mouth and eat your dinner"

"If you fall off that wall and break your legs dont come running to me!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Fajitas! wrote:
    "I'm inquiring to ask about..."

No you're f*cking not. You're asking. Wondering possibly, not inquiring to ask about.

The use of "Of a" for example "I always get the bus home of a Friday".

^^^ Annoys me too.

but it's fish of a friday, always has been always will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭lezizi

take a chill pill is especialy annoying. In fact any pharse using some form of 'chill' instead of relax/take it easy etc

Also anyone who trys put on an american accent (apart from americans of course!!) or people from cork/waterford/wexford in fact anywhere outside of D4 who talk like they're from D4. Once met a girl from cork who told me she'd 'lost that accent, thank god'.

Yada yada yada also makes me want to poke eyes out.

I hate that i have friends from Limerick who went to dublin for 2 months and came back with D4 accents, they now call Limerick, Limmers it is so annoying.
    I also hate the phrase Drinky poo's why cant people just say"Would you like to go for a drink" instead of sayin "Will we go for a drinky poos".

I also hate the phrase "To be honest"

lezizi wrote:
    I hate that i have friends from Limerick who went to dublin for 2 months and came back with D4 accents, they now call Limerick, Limmers it is so annoying.
    I also hate the phrase Drinky poo's why cant people just say"Would you like to go for a drink" instead of sayin "Will we go for a drinky poos".

I also hate the phrase "To be honest"

Oh! absolutely fabulous ;) god I hate that way of talking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

obl wrote:
    When people don't pluralise the words Euro and Cent.

"That'll be six euro thirty five cent, please" "Six euro 35 cent for 20 cigarette?"

Idiots.

God I hate it when people pluralise Euro and Cent with an 's'.
    The plural of Euro is Euro.
    The plural of Cent is Cent.

That and people using american spelling, grrrrr.

Here's some color to cheer you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Dar wrote:

That's what RTÉ want you to think. According to the EU, that's the legislative plural, ie when writing fines or currency related matters into law. 5 euro, 5 sterling, 5 Danish, but 5 euro(e?)s, 5 pounds, 5 kroner. The DGT insists on natural plurals for informal situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Australian question/answer or high rising terminal.
    I hate it so much that I immeadiately dismiss anyone that uses it in a convo with me as being an insecure moronic sheep. This isn't erinsboro, it's not Orange county, it's not Hollyoaks....wise the f*ck up and talk properly.

BTW whoever mentioned "random"....AFAIK that's made it's way into our lingo from the UK.

Ooh lastly, people who use "not" at the end of a sentence....I mean this isn't f*ckin' 1992...Wayne and Garth are long forgotten and that phrase was never funny anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

A usual night on the FM104 phone show usually makes me want to batter the populous of Dublin with a hammer. Always full of "c'mere ta me" and "dat's nuttin got ta do wi da" etc.
    Tha Gopher wrote:
    Wrecks me tits.

This does my head in. Do you even have any tits?
    Anto McC wrote:
    Also people who say literally in a sentence, when the sentence is something as stupid as "It literally rained cats and dogs"

Yep, this makes me literally angry with rage! :p
    Dar wrote:

Wrong, dumbass. As pointed out above, the only reason you think that is because of Charlie McCreevy (muppet that he is) misinterpreting an EU directive, and then RTE (muppets that they are) following along with it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Terry wrote:
    color

What now?
    Wertz wrote:
    lingo

I hate the use of that word.
    Ooh lastly, people who use "not" at the end of a sentence....I mean this isn't f*ckin' 1992...Wayne and Garth are long forgotten and that phrase was never funny anyway.

The most recent use most likely comes from the Borat film.
    Dar wrote:
    God I hate it when people pluralise Euro and Cent with an 's'.
    The spelling of the words euro and cent in the plural and singular, as used in official documents such as EU legislation, are set out in the following table.

However, more general usage of these terms may differ in some languages, such as English, where it is natural practice to refer to the currency in the plural form as ‘euros’ instead of the official form ‘euro’. This is the same practice as used with most currencies in English, as in the plural form ‘dollars’.
    http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/euro/faqs/faqs_13_en.htm
    Wrong, dumbass. As pointed out above, the only reason you think that is because of Charlie McCreevy (muppet that he is) misinterpreting an EU directive, and then RTE (muppets that they are) following along with it.

No, he/she is correct, although the EU don't look to care too much about plural and singular. They also note "This spelling without an “s” may be seen as departing from usual English practice for currencies".

And the words are not supposed to start with caps, unless you're the Irish government, then you randomly switch between the two...
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/money-and-tax/personal-finance/financial-institutions/euro/?searchterm=euro%20changeover
    Shamrok wrote:
    The German plural for euro is the same as the singular.

But in EU law, unlike in English, the first letter is caped up in German... (PDF)...
    http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/euro/documents/spelling_en.pdf

Firstly, my use of the word color was in jest.
    Read the post before mine for reference.

Secondly, the second quote you attributed to me wasn't by me.

Terry wrote:
    Secondly, the second quote you attributed to me wasn't by me.

Sorry that was done in a panic, a panic not to spend any more time on this thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

red_ice wrote:
    I was at a complete Sausagefest with my Fcuk buddy (whos mom is a total milf).. was the most random night ever, but all in all the night was going forward. I turned to booche and said "we'll touch base at eddies for a heino". Basically, i made a rough guesstimate as to when i could be there, depends on justifer my limo driver.. i know i love my heinos but in all fairness like, danny could drink loike, a fish? He got all loike, agro loike and loike, i turned and said loike Take a chill pill broseph, chillax, no Offence but your making a douche out of yourself. Never the less the rents soon found out about my schenanigans and that my collar wasnt popped, and daddy sandwiched me in the face and refused to give me my minimum d4 allowence of 150 yoyo's for the saturday ngiht with the guys ya. mom totally caved and just gave me the plastic. I was loike, no way, you are loike, totally extracting the urine. I could loike, totally get a new, bigger collar to pop, and score/shift any bird i want who has some boatshoes on.

crap -> pony and trap -> pony. Worst phrase ever. THAT BAND WAS PONY!

I'm pretty sure you will never hear a d4 person saying the word "shift", apart from that very nice post originality was evident throughout.

P.S. By any chance have you read some Ross O' Carroll Kelly books?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Scaaarlit. Hate that one. And the new trend 'I should of talked to him'
    Watch as that becomes the norm.

• Advertisement

zuutroy wrote:
    Scaaarlit. Hate that one. And the new trend 'I should of talked to him'
    Watch as that becomes the norm.

It's quite normal.

You and many people just have written it incorrectly, it should be 'should’ve', it's the same with 'would’ve'.

As in "I should’ve talked to him" or "I would’ve talked to him". So, should’ve = should have, and would’ve = would have.

It's like we've, and you're. All acceptable in conversational English, but often written incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

I think zuutroy means that people say it as "should of", rather than "should've/should have". It's moronic.

I also hate "pissed as a fart", "random", "my bad" and "loose" instead of "lose".

People who use these words/expressions should have their fingers broken, their vocal cords severed and their tongues cut out.

monument wrote:
    It's quite normal.

You and many people just have written it incorrectly, it should be 'should’ve', it's the same with 'would’ve'.

As in "I should’ve talked to him" or "I would’ve talked to him". So, should’ve = should have, and would’ve = would have.

It's like we've, and you're. All acceptable in conversational English, but often written incorrectly.

I'm with zuutroy on this. People aren't saying "should've" or "would've"; they're saying "should of" and "would of". Listen closely the next time. And they're obviously meaning to say that because that's what they're writing. It's all over boards.

In such a case I'm incorrect.

Slow coach, in that case, it's an error which may have happened like this... first from saying "should have" fast, which can sound like "should of", then it was written as such, and once written as such it was meaningfully pronounced "should of".

Anyway, between this and reading the definition of 1984's "Newspeak" late last night (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspeak)

[Let me guess... people now hate 'in such a case' and 'in that case'? Oh, and don't kill me for not writing out the title of the book in full. :) ]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Echelle

It's also amazing to find the number of people who write the following kind of thing...it would have taking him an hour to complete the essay... or... he was taken the picture down. The fact is these people never pronounce the"ing" so the don't know when to use it.
    Is any grammer taught in primary schools these days?
    Also, can anyone explain the following: Went to buy some curtains and gave the 20year old shop assistant the dimensions in metric. "We dont do metric here", she said, "only feet and inches." Given her age, I would have thought she shoiuld be conversant in metric dimensions, but it was like another language to her. Did'nt we go metric before she was born?

Also watch out for Americans writing "a couple drinks" instead of "a couple of drinks". in other words they are pronouncing "couple" as "cupla" when they speak

Echelle wrote:
    Is any grammer taught in primary schools these days?

I'm afraid it's gone the way of spelling. :rolleyes:

These people are in for a rude awakening when they go to college.

I suppose this one's a written one but anyhow:

why are so many people writing que instead of queue?

People who say "A home" instead of "at home"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Slow coach wrote:
    I suppose this one's a written one but anyhow:

why are so many people writing que instead of queue?

Because they like Star Trek...a lot.

Advertisement