Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phrases and words that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

Echelle wrote:
    Is any grammer taught in primary schools these days?

Jesus H. Christ, ever hear about what people in glass houses aren't supposed to do??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Slow coach wrote:
    why are so many people writing que instead of queue?
    I once used cue in place of queue... much laughter was had at my expense. :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

I dislike when some twats simply must punctuate every sentence with "right".

So I gave her the slip, Roit. I've just taken the most massive dump in the jacks roite! Excuse me lads I've got to take this call roit.

I say feck right off, Right!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Slow coach wrote:
    I suppose this one's a written one but anyhow:

why are so many people writing que instead of queue?

That also annoys me. A lot of people even write que or queue instead of "cue"
    :confused:

I don't know if it's been said - people who write "seen" instead of seeing...
    "seen as how I pay the bills..."

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

It's quicker to say 'world wide web' (3 syllables) than 'www' (9 syllables)

Not an annoyance, just interesting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

As for that three bells stupid quote here is the real meaning of bells!

Ship's bells are a system to indicate the hour by means of bells, used aboard a ship to regulate the sailors' duty watches.

Unlike civil clock bells, the strikes of the bell do not accord to the number of the hour. Instead, there are eight bells, one for each half-hour of a four-hour watch. Bells would be struck every half-hour, and in a pattern of pairs for easier counting, with any odd bells at the end of the sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

"He's done ever so well there", as used incessantly by Jamie Redknapp.

"tbh" when used as an entire reply on boards. What kind of reply is "to be honest" ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Echelle

Jesus H. Christ, ever hear about what people in glass houses aren't supposed to do??

Hey Monkey Tennis....maybe the above applies to yourself also...aren't should be spelt are'nt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Echelle

oops Monkey Tennis...mea culpa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Slow coach wrote:

These people are in for a rude awakening when they go to college.

Are they really? From what I've seen both on these forums and out there in the bigger scheme of things, there are plenty of graduate students (including some with degrees) with a standard of English grammar and spelling that would barely rival that of a first year secondary pupil.
    As for some of the spelling and grammatical errors I've seen in official communications to me from companies, offices and government bodies...how do some people even end up with their jobs in these positions?

Monument wrote:
    Lingo. I hate that word.
    Yeah but it's usage is in the proper context. I too dislike shortened words but they serve a purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Wertz wrote:

Yeah but it's usage is in the proper context. I too dislike shortened words but they serve a purpose.
    Possessive "its" does not take an apostrophe, that's "its usage".

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Echelle wrote:
    Hey Monkey Tennis....maybe the above applies to yourself also...aren't should be spelt are'nt.

Are you sure? I thought the ' was used to signify the dropped letter. I'm going with aren't on this one. Yay grammar thread! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

bluewolf wrote:
    Possessive "its" does not take an apostrophe, that's "its usage".

I must have been mitching that day...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Echelle wrote:

So which letter is missing from between are and nt? :p

When you're in a hole, stop digging!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

"Bless his cotton socks"

"Could care less"

Stakeholders

That's rediculous.

I pressed the break pedal to stop the car.

I cannot hear the TV, please higher the volume.

"Obviously noone was..."

Who the fcuk is this guy noone? He pops up everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Mawg

**The phrase "I turned around and said...."
    "She turned around and said...., then I turned around and said...."

I'd be dizzy after all that turning around.

**Another one that you'd often see under photos on bebo- " .... Giving it socks"

Annoys me to no end :rolleyes:

**Also, has anyone ever heard culchies using the present of the verb eat when they're actually referring to the past tense? As in "Yesterday I eat the chicken" instead of "yesterday I ate the chicken"

I've heard that one said by people from Laois/Offaly. It really does make them seem stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

I had never heard of FTW/for the win until I saw it here on Boards. Do people actually use this in normal conversation? I've never heard it before.

One I heard in work before was "It's not a problem - it's an opportunity for a solution". That pissed me off severely.

I agree with most of the above suggestions but would only say that they get particularly annoying when they are said all the bloody time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

I've always hated the phrase "I'm done"...

It just shows lack of intelligence!

You're not done, you're finished!!!!!!!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭samo

Touch base is pretty annoying but in my last job the buzzword(s) in the office were 'add value'. It was used EVERYWHERE. Instead of saying 'I think this is where I can help' it was always 'I think this is where I can add value'. So flocking annoying!!!!

Havent read to the end of this thread yet but I'm working in a place where there is a need to know if 'value can be added' (I wouldnt mind its isnt even an American company as its sounds a typically American phrase) but god anytime anyone ever says it or writes it in an email, I feel like screaming so loudly I'd break all the windows in a 50 mile radius :eek:

There's also an element that asks you to 'do the needful' ?? :confused::confused: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭UnReg123

Mawg wrote:
    Also, has anyone ever heard culchies using the present of the verb eat when they're actually referring to the past tense? As in "Yesterday I eat the chicken" instead of "yesterday I ate the chicken"

I've heard that one said by people from Laois/Offaly. It really does make them seem stupid.

I'm from Offaly, and i haven't heard that being said!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Can't stand knobs ,who end sentences ,with " Happppy days! ":mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

I don't see anything wrong with '**** buddy', it gets the point across plain and simple

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Another big one on Bebo...

'Yup yup ya lil Rocket'

Brainless wonders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Awful Scut Mk2

obl wrote:
    That's what RTÉ want you to think. According to the EU, that's the legislative plural, ie when writing fines or currency related matters into law. 5 euro, 5 sterling, 5 Danish, but 5 euro(e?)s, 5 pounds, 5 kroner. The DGT insists on natural plurals for informal situations.

The official EU policy on the plural form of euro is that no 's' is added. It's on the two euro coin, if you don't believe me. They introduced this rule because the word 'euros' means urine in Greek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Awful Scut Mk2

MarkR wrote:
    Crater. As in poor crater. What does a hole in the ground have to do with things? :confused:

It's from the Irish 'cratúr', meaning creature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

missmatty wrote:
    I also work with a woman who has invented a nice collection of phrases including 'in all farity' when she means 'in all fairness'.........:mad:

Ha! Deadly, I'm going to go round saying 'in all fairitude' now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

samo wrote:
    There's also an element that asks you to 'do the needful' ?? :confused::confused: :rolleyes:

That phrase = me
    > :mad: :mad:

Jigsaw wrote:
    I had never heard of FTW/for the win until I saw it here on Boards. Do people actually use this in normal conversation?

Yes, of course! A friend says something really cool or smart, and to show my agreement I say "Eff Tee Double U".

Listen out for it the next time you're in the pub. Also you'll hear "Queue Eff Tee" and "Or Oh Tee Eff Ell Emm Ay Oh" and others.

LOL (Ell Oh Ell)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Firetrap wrote:
    I hate it when someone talks to me and keeps incorporating my name into every single sentence. It's the verbal equivalent of nails on a blackboard :mad: .....<snip>

Yeah that bugs the sh1t out of me....

I'm in the states at the moment and during busy periods in Starbucks etc they ask for your name so you can collect your drink at the collection area beside where they make the drink... I have to say it really bugs me. Give me a number or something on the receipt... But even worse they keep on saying your name. "Here's your change Bob"..."Thank you Bob"... "Proceed to the collection area Bob"..

I am so tempted to say my name is Osama or Saddam on my next visit to see the reaction... oh im naughty :D

Advertisement