Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phrases and words that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Afterwards will you let us know how the jail cells in an NYC police station are?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

monument wrote:
    Afterwards will you let us know how the jail cells in an NYC police station are?

Are you stalking me? How did you know I'm in New York... ah its the government... they are on to me...

<- exits left ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 timamansio

The term 'high street' really annoys me for some reason. It seems to be a term that has been slowly imported from Britain over the last few years and is now spreading, epidemic-like, throughout the media in the country. So now instead of referring to the economic situation in retail outlets, it's 'the economic situation on the high street is...'

Do we have many high streets in Ireland? I can count one in Dublin but I don't think there are many shops on it.

Now whatever happened to the binanits dah me cuzints usteh eeh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭coyote6

ned78 wrote:
    "Going forward"
    "We'll touch base"
    "Basically ..." and then go on to give anything but a basic explanation

... and people who end sentences, but raise their voices as if it's a question.

These kill me. I hate office phrases such as: "As per" and most officialspeak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭coyote6

I also hate it when someone says "honestly?" prior to telling me something. To me it implies that unless they qualify their comments with "honestly?" everything else they say is a lie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Are you stalking me? How did you know I'm in New York... ah its the government... they are on to me...

<- exits left ;)

****, I let the...

Ah, no. I was just looking at your flickr link just before replying. Never made the link that you only said the states in your post. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

monument wrote:
    ****, I let the...

Ah, no. I was just looking at your flickr link just before replying. Never made the link that you only said the states in your post. :o

Ha! Only pullin' your leg :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

This has probably already been mentioned, but I only read the first and last pages of this thread.

The one phrase that bugs me like no other, and I really mean it bugs the friggin crap outta me, is "At the end of the day..."

Such inane gibbering could only have come to us via television football punditry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cookiebliss

when people say crips instead of crisps.
    also when people end a sentence as if its a question.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Ruu wrote:
    Irish people using Mom is terribly annoying. Time to turn off the telly.
    Amen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Papergirl 1

one that annoys me and i think is exclusively Irish is " inanyways" ....

Ahhhhhhhh this one drives me mad!

A girl I work with puts 'inall' & 'inanyways' into every sentence.....I mean EVERY sentence!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭megadodge

OHMYGAWD, I, like, just sooooooo can't believe, like, noone could of not mentioned 'OHMYGAWD' as there pet hate, like, their all sooooo not in touch with, like, they're feminine side...... like.

Well to be honest, I could care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

'and so forth' can get very annoying when it's used more than three times during one sixty second speech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 JohnnyFilters

I hate when people say cheers! It drives me mad! Very English

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

blame all them D4 puffs they started all the americanised phrases "like" and "wot"?!? are they tryin to make southside dubliners look like gimps!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

As others have said, "random" can be quite irritating - not to mention possibly inaccurate - when used on a constant basis.

Also "do the needful".
    e.g. your boss asks you to manage a particular issue or problem and advises you to do what is necessary, do the needful.

Also, when someone refers to themselves as "myself" or a group as "ourselves" - e.g. "Hi it's Daphne from (some insurance company, usually), you were on the phone to myself/ ourselves earler".

Office speak in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

tampopo wrote:
    Where did 'pushing the envelope' come from? I honestly don't know what it relates to?

This phrase was first used by NASA test pilots during the 1950's to describe flying a test plane at it's physical/ technical limits.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

One of the lads said 'I'm not all that John B about heading out tonight' the other day. I hadn't a notion what the hell he was talking about. He had to repeat himself about 3 times before he decided to tell me what the hell he was on about.
    It turns out the John B is short hand for John B Keane so when translated he was actually saying 'I'm not that keen about heading out tonight'. It was so hard to resist the urge to punch him but somehow I did. He insists it was a joke but I don't believe him.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

Still getting used to phrases over here (after 10 years ! ) but two words still get me and I am still resisting using them - cos they make no sense.

Press for cupboard . Where does the word press come from ?
    (at least there used to be a board where you hang your cups on)

and

Bold for naughty. How can a child who has done something wrong be bold ?

Where I come from being bold is a good thing.
    Like Jean-Luc Picard boldly going where no one has gone before.
    (Jean-Luc wasn't being naughty !)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

englander wrote:
    Still getting used to phrases over here (after 10 years ! ) but two words still get me and I am still resisting using them - cos they make no sense.

and

Verb: press; Crowd closely
    Noun: press; A tall piece of furniture that provides storage space for clothes; has a door and rails or hooks for hanging clothes.

I suppose press works loosely, although I always use cupboard myself.

Adjective: Bold; Fearless and daring.
    Only really applies if a child is aware of possible consequences for his/her actions. A young child, unaware of consequence, couldn't possibly be called bold. More likely something like exploratory.

However, if you look at the Gaelic equivalents of these words, you'll find that they share meanings on that level. The Irish word for cupboard and press is the same word: cófra. And, similarly, the Irish word for naughty and bold is the same word: dána.

You'll find that a lot of words/phrases used in Irish society (which may seem outlandish to others) have their roots in the Irish language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Ok, another one....this doesn't quite grind my gears as much as some previously mentioned phrases etc., but I didn't think it deserves its own thread so put it here instead.....

Lately I've noticed a new phone trend that seems to be spreading like wild fire. When someone concludes a call on the phone it now becomes a competition to say "bye" or "goodbye" as many times as you can before hanging up. It's one that has kind of crept outta nowhere, and looks like its here to stay!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

might already have been said but i cant be arsed lokin through the Whole Thread.
    Where did the Overuse of "At the End of the Day..." come from!? AGH! im talkin about ppl who say it about 8 times in the course of a 2 minute story...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

I have the bull**** bingo sheet in front of me in work we use it in meetings! it has phrases such as 'Proactive', 'Customer facing', 'touch base' etc.

I hate people using the phrase 'OMG' I want to smack them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

timamansio wrote:
    The term 'high street' really annoys me for some reason. It seems to be a term that has been slowly imported from Britain over the last few years and is now spreading, epidemic-like, throughout the media in the country. So now instead of referring to the economic situation in retail outlets, it's 'the economic situation on the high street is...'

Do we have many high streets in Ireland? I can count one in Dublin but I don't think there are many shops on it.

Now whatever happened to the binanits dah me cuzints usteh eeh?

'High street' comes from history. In the middle ages the main street of a town was normally called the high street cos it was usually slightly higher up than the other streets/lanes connecting to it, normally to encourage the flow of raw sewage which would have just been fecked out onto the street. :eek:

Another story behind the term high street is that towns typically developed along main routes (called highways, even back in the pre-car days) with the aforementioned highway becoming the main street through the town, hence high street.

The main street here in Kilkenny (being a medieval city) is still called High Stret.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

What about when you ring someone's mobile and you get through to their voice mail and its says..

"you've reached *name, please leave a message...

quite clearly you haven't reached them at all otherwise you wouldn't be leaving a message. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

RVD420 wrote:
    Ok, another one....this doesn't quite grind my gears as much as some previously mentioned phrases etc., but I didn't think it deserves its own thread so put it here instead.....

Lately I've noticed a new phone trend that seems to be spreading like wild fire. When someone concludes a call on the phone it now becomes a competition to say "bye" or "goodbye" as many times as you can before hanging up. It's one that has kind of crept outta nowhere, and looks like its here to stay!

Good call, that annoys hell out of me too....just say "Bye" once and hang up, not this "bye bye bye...bye....you still there? Bye" type sh*t.
    I've been hearing it on and off (usually from the same people) over the years...don't know why it gets dragged out, maybe people are scared of being seen to "hang up" on someone prematurely...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

englander wrote:

and

Press comes from the Norse word "pris", meaning (loosely) cupboard. Got here via the Normans/Vikings.

As mentioned above, bold and naughty have the same meaning in Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

War on terror.
    An oxymoron if there ever was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

ShowUsYourXbox.
    A poxy moron if there ever was one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

"D'ya know what I mean?" is the one that gets me. Not because it's such a skanger phrase but because it almost completely misrepresents the situation which it is addressing.

I find that people who use this phrase invariably have poor diction and use this phrase as a way of merely affirming that their use of the English language has been sufficently understood by their company. It is not (as the phrase would literally suggest) an enquiry as to whether the current topic of conversation become too intellectual or high-brow for their companion(s).

Hense the real question should be "Do you understand what I am saying? not "D'ya know what I mean?"

Advertisement