Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phrases and words that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

People who say "Do you know what I mean?" at the end of every fúckin' sentence!!

"I'm leaving you for another woman" isn't exactly one of my favourites either.

"It's not you, it's me.........................that's ending this relationship cuz I can't stand the fúckin' sight of you!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Duggy747 wrote:
    People who say "Do you know what I mean?" at the end of every fúckin' sentence!!

"I'm leaving you for another woman" isn't exactly one of my favourites either.

"It's not you, it's me.........................that's ending this relationship cuz I can't stand the fúckin' sight of you!!"
    Along those lines...

"You're such a good friend" or the classic "You're a really nice guy, but..."

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭giveth

Everyone I know calls their mother, mum or mom. And my parents called their mother the same thing 50 years ago, so its not an americanism.
    I think the ma/mam thing is a dublin thing (which I actually hate).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

i hate it when people (culchies esp) keep using the word "like" at the end of each sentence

you know "like" i was over there "like" she came on to me "like" aaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭LillyVanilli

I cant stand when people start every sentence with "In all fairness like,.."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Terry wrote:
    Along those lines...

"You're such a good friend" or the classic "You're a really nice guy, but..."

Aaaaaarrrgggh!!!! "Can't we be just friends?" or "I love you, like a brother."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

"I'm not being Funny But..."

"Thats MAAAAaaad! Init?"

"No Offence but [/insert something offensive]"

"Take a Chill Pill"

"Chillax"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    my missus has started saying something possibly worse:

"No Offence but [/insert something that couldn't possibly be offensive]"

e.g.

no offence but the shop is closed
    no offence but this weather is crap
    no offence but arcade fire is sold out

:(

I hope it's just a passing thing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

giveth wrote:
    Everyone I know calls their mother, mum or mom. And my parents called their mother the same thing 50 years ago, so its not an americanism.
    I think the ma/mam thing is a dublin thing (which I actually hate).

NO! My mother is a certified culchie and we never called her anything other than mam, mammy or on occasion ma. She'd address her mother as "mam" and cringe if we ever use the word "mom"

This issue might be deserving of a separate thread (that is if it hasn't already been done)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    There's very few guarantees in life, except for Taxes and Death of course, but another one is if someone ever says the following:-

"I'm not a racist/sexist but......" you can be 100% guaranteed that the next utterings that come from their mouths will be of a racist/sexist nature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Clowns who speak in pseudo-american accents / making sentences sound like questions.....so annoying, this ain't "Clueless"!

I've a pet hate with "bud", or "budt" as they'd say.....

Describing stuff as "cat".....wtf...leave my damn cat alone!

"roysh", "delish", "mommy and doddy" etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I had the mam/mum conversation in a pub lately with someone who thought that there was something wrong with me because we called my mother 'mammy' when young and 'mum' now. And we're as culchie as you can get.
    I think the ma/mam thing is too Dub for me and we're from about as far from Dublin as you can get (although I work in Dublin now)

I also work with a woman who has invented a nice collection of phrases including 'in all farity' when she means 'in all fairness'.........:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Wrecks me tits.

I hate this phrase. You (unless you are a rather portly gentleman) do not have tits. Therefore nothing can 'wreck' them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

QFT bugs me, seems like a lazy way of boosting postcount.

Overuse of the word like is also quite trying on the patience.
    I've never heard anyone use "touch base", i would've assumed it was something sexual.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ishmael wrote:
    QFT bugs me, seems like a lazy way of boosting postcount.
    QFT

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

DEmeant0r wrote:
    I hate when people say "like" and "you know?" every five words, **** me it's annoying.

You wouldn't want to move to Cork then! :D

I hate hearing politicians say "I'm glad you asked me that question" and then proceed to answer the question they heard, which is completely different to the one everyone else heard.
    Or anything Bertie Ahern says actually....... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

" with all due respect "
    That one drives me mad.

I never knew a soul who called their mother " Mom " until the last few years and almost always the d4 heads or the people who would like to be d4 !

And PACIFICALLY instead of specifically .......need I say more

Oh and one last one that makes me want to smack someones face is
    blah blah blah but more of a criminal offence is yada yada yada

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Trode

'Sheeple'
    If ever there was a word that said "I'm an obnoxious, arrogant pr1ck, please disregard everything else I say", it's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Yada yada yada should only be used by fans of Seinfeld.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

"Do ya know what I mean, Like?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭greine

"it could be worse.." - no matter how bad my day is going or how dramatic my escape from a life or death situation was, some f*cker always says.."it could be worse"..I just want to be indulged once in a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

"I'm not being funny but................"

Arggggggggggggggggh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

RVD420 wrote:
    Describing stuff as "cat"
    I love that expression. "jaysus, that's just cat"
    what a phrase.

I hate all D4isms though. like roysh and all that crap

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pighead hates the saying
    "you might want to buy some douche to get the sand out of your vagina"
    mainly because he hasn't a fcuking clue what it means. Thankfully the phrase isn't used this side of the pond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

take a chill pill is especialy annoying. In fact any pharse using some form of 'chill' instead of relax/take it easy etc

Also anyone who trys put on an american accent (apart from americans of course!!) or people from cork/waterford/wexford in fact anywhere outside of D4 who talk like they're from D4. Once met a girl from cork who told me she'd 'lost that accent, thank god'.

Yada yada yada also makes me want to poke eyes out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

People who use the phrase
    "The Rents"
    When talking about their parents.
    IE - "The rents a wreaking my head like , roysh"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

BaZmO* wrote:
    QFT
    :mad:
    Now where did i put my shotgun?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Mom annoys the sh!t out of me. The worst has to be when people say literally when they don't mean e.g. 'I had such a bad hangover, I was literally dying' Really pisses me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Mom annoys the sh!t out of me
    then move out, or take it to PI!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The Bollox wrote:
    then move out, or take it to PI!

:D I lol'd.

Advertisement