Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Aliens really exist ????

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Ok, i will make it interesting for you.

Mutation + ???? = Natural Selection

Mutation + Suitability to environment (and likelihood to survive and reproduce) = natural selection. Now, I've educated you, can you educate us on your point? Do you have one? Another 1 line special perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Kernel wrote: »
    Mutation + Suitability to environment (and likelihood to survive and reproduce) = natural selection. Now, I've educated you, can you educate us on your point? Do you have one? Another 1 line special perhaps?

Hmm, not the word i would have used. I would have said competition for resources. Which inevitably leads to conflict, which brings us back to my point as to why any lifeform that evolves would wipe out humanity should they encounter us and happen to have better technology. Because any lifeform that evolves would be pre-destined* to do so.

*Not in a biblical, spiritual sense.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

This, of course, explains why I've murdered all my neighbours and stolen all their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

any lifeform that evolves would wipe out humanity should they encounter us and happen to have better technology. Because any lifeform that evolves would be pre-destined* to do so.

This is, in fact, why humans are either:

- the only lifeform on planet earth.
    - in the process of becoming the only lifeform on planet earth, as we are predestined to wipe out all others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭rocky25

If a tree falls down on Mars and no one is around to hear it- does it make a sound?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Hmm, not the word i would have used. I would have said competition for resources. Which inevitably leads to conflict, which brings us back to my point as to why any lifeform that evolves would wipe out humanity should they encounter us and happen to have better technology. Because any lifeform that evolves would be pre-destined* to do so.

*Not in a biblical, spiritual sense.

I do agree that we cannot for one second assume they'd be benevolent towards us. As much as it would be fascinating to encounter an advanced alien species it would also be fraught with danger but I disagree with you that it's any way certain they would wipe us out. We don't know what they'd be like or even how they might think. If they were far ahead of us in their technological development we'd be only animals to them, perhaps to be used as an energy source in the same way we use earth animals for food. Overall I'd agree with you that the consequences for us could be dire but I don't think we can say with any certainty how it would go. We can't assume that the same rules apply. We don't know if they would even possess emotion or compassion or any of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MinMac

Of course there is more life in the universe other than on earth. People who say otherwise are foolish. (Can you even begin to imagine what a massive waste of space it would be if we were the only life?) The reason it it is believed some of the ETs are more intelligent than us is because earth and man are not even babies compared to millions of other planets. And as life on Earth has evolved so it is reasonable to believe life on some other planets has also evolved!! They have just had millions of years head start. I am not entirely sure what to believe about ET, regarding them being more/less intelligent, visiting Earth etc etc - I just know they are DEFINITELY out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

The reason people make the assumption that a visiting ET is more advanced, at least technologically is simple. They made it here and we can not make it past our moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Saruman wrote: »
    The reason people make the assumption that a visiting ET is more advanced, at least technologically is simple. They made it here and we can not make it past our moon.

This assumes a space ship though. Could be a bacterial entity or virus riding solar winds or whatever?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

In november 1989 I saw a UFO in sussex england , I was doing security work , it was about 12.30 pm , the whole place lit up like daylight , I went out to see what it was , about 15 yards from me above a tree there was an object hovering, completely silent, this was illuminating everywhere , as I approached it , what looked like a rotating mist kind of drew a curtin over it and ,vanished into thin air. The interesting thing is that about a month earlier some local people who lived in the area told me there are UFOs there all the time , but that they are cloaked like the klingons in star trek , they said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

shayser wrote: »

Heard about this, sources credibility is suspect, and the fact that it's an infrared camera... not expecting much tbh. The real disclosure is still on the way.

Apparently the guy wants to sell the DVD rather than release for public scrutiny for free... and apparently the footage is dodgy. So, it's probably crapola.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

MinMac wrote: »
    Of course there is more life in the universe other than on earth. People who say otherwise are foolish. (Can you even begin to imagine what a massive waste of space it would be if we were the only life?)

Waste of space to who though? You make the mistake of assuming that the universe is here for a reason at all. Maybe it is maybe it isn't, we just don't know. It would seem crazy if we were the only planet with life but we have to accept that possibility. Until we obtain evidence of extraterrestrial life we can merely speculate, and though I agree with you that there more than likely is life out there, we have to allow for the possibility (however strange it seems) that life here on earth is just a bizarre fluke.

The reason it it is believed some of the ETs are more intelligent than us is because earth and man are not even babies compared to millions of other planets. And as life on Earth has evolved so it is reasonable to believe life on some other planets has also evolved!! They have just had millions of years headstart.

As things stand we don't even know how life started on our own planet (beyond speculation), so we can't assume much with regard to biogenesis elsewhere.

I am not entirely sure what to believe about ET, regarding them being more/less intelligent, visiting Earth etc etc - I just know they are DEFINITELY out there.

Like Saruman said any beings who made it here in their fancy spaceship would have to be well ahead of us technologically, and you cannot say they are definitely out there any more than you can say there definitely is a god. We assume there is (ET life, not god!, but we don't know anything for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

After watching the above video, how torturous would it be to never be in contact with one of those possibile civilizations :o

The sheer sizes and distances make me convinced I will die, not knowing anything about whats out in space.

On topic do I believe in Aliens?

Yes, have we been visited, no way.

There has been zero evidence for alien existence (the kind of intelligent alien existence that visits ous here on the earth).UFOs exist, sure.But it's foolish to link UFOs to aliens and claim that any sighting of a UFO with lights is indication of alien civilization visiting us.

Why would aliens even needs lights?

At what point does a technical civilization leave all light sources behind?

We have lights to show position, light from propulsion, lights to fool the eye, lights to hoax and lights just for looks. Any all or none may apply to an alien craft. Say for instance a species evolves with sonar instead of eyes, they might not even realize we can se light!

I have also never seen a hovering saucer filmed or photographed during daylight in the same manner as these lights people talk about all the time.

Maybe Aliens are bats :D

The truth is far simpler I think.

Anyone believe that we are actively engaged by a number of alien intelligences?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Cool vid. Maybe we are shown on some wildlife program for the entertainment of aliens. If aliens are aware of us they probably haven't made contact yet as we're too boring/primitive to handle it. We are on the sentient species ladder but near the bottom imo so they probably would avoid interference. Unless...the level of intelligence needed to zip around the universe is so high that they regard us as ants. In this case we wouldn't register any importance whatsoever.

Tony Broke wrote: »
    There has been zero evidence for alien existence (the kind of intelligent alien existence that visits ous here on the earth).UFOs exist, sure.But it's foolish to link UFOs to aliens and claim that any sighting of a UFO with lights is indication of alien civilization visiting us.

Lots of eyewitness testimony. And then there's the abduction phenomenon.

Why would aliens even needs lights?

At what point does a technical civilization leave all light sources behind?

Perhaps the light of the craft is caused by the propulsion system? I agree, however, that many/most present day UFO's are terrestrial in origin. However, it still leaves us with the interesting thought of where the massive leap in propulsion technology originated. Possibly from the Nazi glochenspiel experiments, but then you also need to examine the evidence for the Roswell conspiracy.
    We have lights to show position, light from propulsion, lights to fool the eye, lights to hoax and lights just for looks. Any all or none may apply to an alien craft. Say for instance a species evolves with sonar instead of eyes, they might not even realize we can se light!

It's certainly possible, however, looking at the evolution of creatures on earth, most have eyes, even if they are not the primary sense organs. Light is one of those things that is present throughout the universe.

I have also never seen a hovering saucer filmed or photographed during daylight in the same manner as these lights people talk about all the time.

I've personally seen one during the daytime! :)

Have a look here:

http://www.ufocasebook.com/bestufopictures.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Aliens are in existence but they couldn't give a flying **** about a shower of boggers on EARTH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,233 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Because ancedotal evidence is always right! People never lie or be crazy or stupid and certainly people are never mistaken about what they see in the night sky.
    Perhaps the light of the craft is caused by the propulsion system? I agree, however, that many/most present day UFO's are terrestrial in origin. However, it still leaves us with the interesting thought of where the massive leap in propulsion technology originated. Possibly from the Nazi glochenspiel experiments, but then you also need to examine the evidence for the Roswell conspiracy.
    You mean the leap in propulsion due to the jet engine and hybrid fuel and multistage rockets? Because it would have too impossible for human to design anything.
    And what evidence from the roswell conspiracy? The US was monitoring Russian nuke tests or that civilian can't identify a crashed hi-altitude balloon?
    It's certainly possible, however, looking at the evolution of creatures on earth, most have eyes, even if they are not the primary sense organs. Light is one of those things that is present throughout the universe.
    Complete speculation! Most species on earth do not use light detecting sense organs.
    I've personally seen one during the daytime! :)
    Wow! then it must be true, cause your immune to every pitfall that make people think it's a ufo. That and you must have loads or clear unambiguous photos too.
    Unlike these.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

However, it still leaves us with the interesting thought of where the massive leap in propulsion technology originated. Possibly from the Nazi glochenspiel experiments, but then you also need to examine the evidence for the Roswell conspiracy.
    What massive leap in propultion technology? The jet engine is actually an incredibly simple design and it took a very long time to develop the rocket engines used today. What propulsion system are you talking about exactly?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

cooperguy wrote: »
    What massive leap in propultion technology? The jet engine is actually an incredibly simple design and it took a very long time to develop the rocket engines used today. What propulsion system are you talking about exactly?

A jet engine is a simple concept. The design of an actual gas turbine is far from simple. The same can be said for rockets. They are similar technologies that rely on the expansion of heated fuel to squirt air in one direction generating thrust. Its a pretty crude idea really!

A modern turbofan is orders of magnitude ahead of any early turbojet in terms of performance and efficiency. The reasons why are often simple but the implementation of the technology was monumentally difficult.

Of course none of these types of engine are anywhere near useful over the distances people require for little green men. Even modern physics struggles to even dream up such concepts and often people resort to what is basically silly magic because they know better apparently.

You dont believe those Travis Walton, Barney and Betty hill stories do you?

I do think Walton's is the most legit abduction case out there, im sure he experienced whatever he said he experienced in some form, but I dont think it was aliens from another planet.

So you believe in some sort of cover up in tech?

You believe that maybe "our technology" is on par with the aliens, and that we have no clue as to how advanced military is?

But do you then believe that that the US or who ever has any possibility of shooting down a UFO Craft that moves at the speed of light? Usually, all known footage of UFOs show a craft dissapear within our eyes and we hear all these stories of fighter pilots been told to engage on them.Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Smudgeyboy

I think what we call aliens are inter-demensional beings that live in the things we cant see on earth (which is about 80% of earth)

You might be suprised to learn Steven Hawking believes in parallel dimensions, as do Shaman leaders throughout history

• Registered Users Posts: 25,233 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Smudgeyboy wrote: »
    I think what we call aliens are inter-demensional beings that live in the things we cant see on earth (which is about 80% of earth)

You might be suprised to learn Steven Hawking believes in parallel dimensions, as do Shaman leaders throughout history

That maybe so. However we don't take Stephen Hawking's word for it there still needs to be evidence of it. And I'm pretty sure he doesn't believe that aliens are coming from these parallel dimensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

A jet engine is a simple concept. The design of an actual gas turbine is far from simple. The same can be said for rockets. They are similar technologies that rely on the expansion of heated fuel to squirt air in one direction generating thrust. Its a pretty crude idea really!

A modern turbofan is orders of magnitude ahead of any early turbojet in terms of performance and efficiency. The reasons why are often simple but the implementation of the technology was monumentally difficult.

Of course none of these types of engine are anywhere near useful over the distances people require for little green men. Even modern physics struggles to even dream up such concepts and often people resort to what is basically silly magic because they know better apparently.
    The change from a turbo jet to turbofan was a very simple change in engine design where air is directed around the core of the engine to help spin the blades aswell as passing through it. That wouldnt have taken inspiration from little green men to come up with. It also cant be used outside our atmosphere so I dont see the point being made about these huge leaps in tech?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

cooperguy wrote: »
    The change from a turbo jet to turbofan was a very simple change in engine design where air is directed around the core of the engine to help spin the blades aswell as passing through it. That wouldnt have taken inspiration from little green men to come up with. It also cant be used outside our atmosphere so I dont see the point being made about these huge leaps in tech?

That's what I'm saying. I'm agreeing with you! Its a simple back of the envelope concept. Its a difficult engineering problem however to build something light weight and strong. Also since you have to run the core extremely hot to get the most out of the engine you have to do all manner of things like film cooling to keep it from melting.

Its not by any means a massive leap in technology just very careful and skilled engineering but entirely within our capability. The point I'm trying to make it that people often have a magical thinking approach to technology. People see a black box that does X. They have no idea how it does X so its magic (or dilithium crystals). They often fail to realise that often the technology is a complex of simple scientific laws and effects cleverly bundled together.

I blame Stargate et al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Smudgeyboy

King Mob wrote: »
    That maybe so. However we don't take Stephen Hawking's word for it there still needs to be evidence of it. And I'm pretty sure he doesn't believe that aliens are coming from these parallel dimensions.
    Im pretty sure he doesnt know if they do or not.

Maybe we can do the same? Who knows?

I got into this subject through a search through the history of religions in a search for knowledge, what I discovered is that Shamanism, the spiritual use of plants is the basis for all modern religions 'the tree of knowledge'.

The interesting thing is, Shamans say they meet their teachers in other dimensions, and as far as I can tell, the top Freemasons use the same plants. Hidden knowledge? Shaman's knowledge of DNA is now being backed up by our western scientists.

Check it out! The book is called The Cosmic Serpent: DNA and the Origins
    of Knowledge. You may also find it interesting to learn about the amount of Shaman tribes the American government have massacared.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭rexusdiablos

I've always enjoyed Sumerian interpretations. They make an uncanny and compelling amount of sense.

Advertisement